Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Saturday to sign one-day cntract.. WRTV-TV

oldunclemark

Bleacher Report::

Jeff Saturday to Sign One-Day Contract with Colts

By

Nate Dunlevy

(AFC South Lead Writer) on February 19, 2013

It's just ceremonial for now, but Jeff Saturday is returning to the Indianapolis Colts.

Dave Furst of WRTV 6 in Indianapolis writes that Jeff Saturday will sign a one-day contract (hat tip to Mike Chappell of the Indianapolis Star).

According to Saturday, the timing of a one-day deal hasn't been set, but the ceremony will take place sometime soon.

Irsay was always completely on board with that and had contacted me to do that. There's stuff that happens with the league first that has to all take place. It just takes time to get things done.

This is just the first of what will likely be a string of honors for one of the most popular and effective Colts ever. Saturday has been rumored to be up for a front-office job with the team for nearly a year. He will likely also be inducted to the team's ring of honor in short order.

Ceremonial contracts may be a little corny, but they offer fans the chance to hear from their heroes one last time as a member of the franchise. Given how little there is to talk about in the offseason and how insatiable the public is for news, writers are happy to cover the pressers just to have something easy to write about the next day.

In Saturday's case, his victory lap as a Colt will be welcomed. He's long been an engaging and thoughtful personality, and it seems only fitting that he'll retire as a Colt.

Wow!

I wonder which game would be his last...the "farewell-game"... I hope it would be 1st regular season's game! And I also hope he will take the job in the FO!

He deserved it!

Doubtful he actually plays a down during this one day contract. It's typically more symbolic than anything else.

I'm so glad that Jeff will retire as a Colt !!!  He's been one of my favorite players, and a real class act !!  Hopefully he will also find a job in the front office or on the coaching staff somewhere.  I'm glad I decided to get his jersey.  Thanks for the memories Jeff :)

Totally pointless exercise. I do not need Jeff to sign a one day contract. What difference does it make. I have my memories, and more importantly, he has his. And if they do offer him an office job, that's even better than a phoney contract. 

Sorry if this is in breach of the NFL's honouring protocol, but it's all a bit silly.....and no offense to anyone who likes this type of thing.

Totally pointless exercise. I do not need Jeff to sign a one day contract. What difference does it make. I have my memories, and more importantly, he has his. And if they do offer him an office job, that's even better than a phoney contract. 

Sorry if this is in breach of the NFL's honouring protocol, but it's all a bit silly.....and no offense to anyone who likes this type of thing.

It's completely symbolic and procedural, so that when he retires, he retires as a member of the Colts. It's become a tradition, but it doesn't mean anything. Like the rest of the football world, we'll all remember Saturday as a Colt, not a Packer.

It might be pointless in the some regards (won't help us win any more games), but it's seen as gratitude towards the fans, the city, and the organization for all the good years together.  It's a final "thank you" before moving on to the next stage of his life.  These kind of social decencies aren't "pointless" in that respect.

It's also an opportunity for the organization and the fans to thank him back, to put on a show in his honor that wasn't really possible when he left for Green Bay.  As Jerry Seinfeld put it best, "The fabric of society is very complex, George."

Glad Jeff is going to get to come home and retire a Colt.

I look forward to the game he goes into the Ring of Honor this season! 

Also for the fans saying this is pointless I think the whole retiring as a whatever thing isn't really for the fans (although the fans might enjoy seeing the presser and having the warm and fuzzy feeling of being able to say so and so retired a Colt) it's for the player.  Jeff wants to come home and officially end his career as a Colt not a Packer.  That's who this is really for so while it might be pointless to us as fans I think Saturday would disagree with you or he wouldn't be doing it. 

Not at all BHC my friend! I respect that you speak your mind & always truthfully say what is on your mind. Never apologize for that. Always be who you are. I took zero offense to what you said. The contract means nothing. It just feels good to welcome Jeff back home where he belongs that's all.  :thmup:  It just "Feels Good" baby...It feels good...

Glad Jeff is going to get to come home and retire a Colt.

I look forward to the game he goes into the Ring of Honor this season! 

Also for the fans saying this is pointless I think the whole retiring as a whatever thing isn't really for the fans (although the fans might enjoy seeing the presser and having the warm and fuzzy feeling of being able to say so and so retired a Colt) it's for the player.  Jeff wants to come home and officially end his career as a Colt not a Packer.  That's who this is really for so while it might be pointless to us as fans I think Saturday would disagree with you or he wouldn't be doing it. 

I think it is even more pointless for a professional craftsman, who has millions in the bank, who decided to go to another team, and when that petered out, decides he want's to retire for the team he left. I'm sure he has other roles in the game after retirement, hopefully with us, and all this smaltzy sentimental rigmarole should be preserved for schoolkids. 

I suppose I'll watch any cerimonal happenings in relation to this through my fingers and perhaps I may even get that warm fuzziness that everyone else will get. Or more hopefully, someone will produce a 90 minute DVD on his career, and we can look back at the real action and praise the lord* that he was a Colt for most of his career......

*For the record...I'm an athiest....

I suppose I'll watch any cerimonal happenings in relation to this through my fingers and perhaps I may even get that warm fuzziness that everyone else will get. Or more hopefully, someone will produce a 90 minute DVD on his career, and we can look back at the real action and praise the lord* that he was a Colt for most of his career......

You do bring up a valid point BHC. The NFL does have a symbolic Roman Coliseum motif to it all regarding Ring Of Honor jersey number retirements. It reminds me of the actor Kirk Douglas in the film "Spartacus." You get praised for your strength, endurance, & sheer brutality you inflict upon other teams & vanquishing your adversaries that stand in your way in order to win a silver Lombardi trophy. 

Naturally, no ones dies in the 21st Century NFL, but the mindset still remains the same these days...

gladiatorvslion.jpg

Bleacher Report::

Jeff Saturday to Sign One-Day Contract with Colts

By

Nate Dunlevy

(AFC South Lead Writer) on February 19, 2013

It's just ceremonial for now, but Jeff Saturday is returning to the Indianapolis Colts.

Dave Furst of WRTV 6 in Indianapolis writes that Jeff Saturday will sign a one-day contract (hat tip to Mike Chappell of the Indianapolis Star).

According to Saturday, the timing of a one-day deal hasn't been set, but the ceremony will take place sometime soon.

Irsay was always completely on board with that and had contacted me to do that. There's stuff that happens with the league first that has to all take place. It just takes time to get things done.

This is just the first of what will likely be a string of honors for one of the most popular and effective Colts ever. Saturday has been rumored to be up for a front-office job with the team for nearly a year. He will likely also be inducted to the team's ring of honor in short order.

Ceremonial contracts may be a little corny, but they offer fans the chance to hear from their heroes one last time as a member of the franchise. Given how little there is to talk about in the offseason and how insatiable the public is for news, writers are happy to cover the pressers just to have something easy to write about the next day.

In Saturday's case, his victory lap as a Colt will be welcomed. He's long been an engaging and thoughtful personality, and it seems only fitting that he'll retire as a Colt.

I agree with the sentiments expressed here on behalf of Jeff Saturday. Someone that I revere at a very high level. However, the Bleacher Report is a piece of journalistic toilet paper that I never give credence, validity, or a vaunted reputation too ever. It is amateur journalism at it's worst. Not a reflection upon you at all oldunclemark. To me, the Bleacher Report is an insult to real investigative journalists. Just my opinion. Take it or leave it. 

I agree with the sentiments expressed here on behalf of Jeff Saturday. Someone that I revere at a very high level. However, the Bleacher Report is a piece of journalistic toilet paper that I never give credence, validity, or a vaunted reputation too ever. It is amateur journalism at it's worst. Not a reflection upon you at all oldunclemark. To me, the Bleacher Report is an insult to real investigative journalists. Just my opinion. Take it or leave it. 

You're on fire today, sir! Keep it up!

Don't you ever sleep? Is it not the middle of the night where you are?

You're on fire today, sir! Keep it up!

Don't you ever sleep? Is it not the middle of the night where you are?

haha  Thank you sir. I appreciate that BHC. Do I ever sleep? Good question. I always have my computer on & a window open/temporarily closed but still running to the Colts Forum site. I'm nocturnal by nature & I always tease people that I am part owl because I don't like brilliant lights near me & I do my best thinking at night.

I guess that explains why I like the SuperBowl so much...It is a superb owl to me. Lame I know, but still funny.  lmao 

1501_night_owl_1c.jpg

haha  Thank you sir. I appreciate that BHC. Do I ever sleep? Good question. I always have my computer on & a window open/temporarily closed but still running to the Colts Forum site. I'm nocturnal by nature & I always tease people that I am part owl because I don't like brilliant lights near me & I do my best thinking at night.

I guess that explains why I like the SuperBowl so much...It is a superb owl to me. Lame I know, but still funny.  lmao

1501_night_owl_1c.jpg

That was as lame as RG3......

I wish there was a "dislike" button.

I agree about Bleacher Report.....sw-1....I really do.

Bleacher Report is often somebody sitting in the basement..listening to talk radio.

I posted it because it was confirming the TV station story....

..and because I'm happy about saturday being honored....They're doing it for him and for the fans..

It guves the peole in the stadium one last chance to cheer him...and all players dont get that.

What if Saturday was honored on the day Denver plays at Indy?