Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Name the best (Non QB) player in each NFL teams history.

Dustin

Wouldn't any list that ranked people be unfair then?

Imo ranking one player best all time for a franchise might be impossable unless your say talking Michael Jordan,but reffering to the Colts yes not putting anyone down and know its just opinions,as well as fun,but just stating no way to pinpoint one ,not even QB

Imo ranking one player best all time for a franchise might be impossable unless your say talking Michael Jordan,but reffering to the Colts yes not putting anyone down and know its just opinions,as well as fun,but just stating no way to pinpoint one ,not even QB

Oh yeah of course it's going to be hard for everybody to agree. That's why I started this thread. I wanted to see everybody's opinions.

9ers- Ronny Lott

Bears- Walter Payton

Bengals- Anthony Munoz

Bills- OJ Simpson

Broncos- Shannon Sharpe

Browns- Jim Brown

Buccaneers- LeRoy Selmon

Cardinals- Dick (Night train) Lane

Chargers-Lance Alworth

Chiefs- Buck Buchanan

Colts- Mike Curtis

Cowboys- Bob Hayes

Dolphins- Paul Warfield

Eagles- Reggie White

Falcons- Deion Sanders

Giants- Lawrence Taylor

Jaguars- Fred Taylor

Jets- Mark Gastineau

Lions- Barry Sanders

Packers- Paul Hornung

Panthers- Steve Smith

Patriots- Andre Tippett

Raiders- Gene Upshaw

Rams- Merlin Olsen

Ravens- Jonathan Ogden

Redskins- Ken Houston

Saints- Willie Roaf

Seahawks- Steve Largent

Steelers- Jack Lambert

Texans- Andre Johnson

Titans / Oilers- Earl Campbell

Vikings- Adrian Peterson

There, no QB's.   I know you younger folks will argue with my pick for the Colts.   But that's because you just don't know.

Do you know any of the newer players in the league? You sound like age is a badge of honour. This is a good fun topic, yet you pick your way through it like it was a field of nettles......

Of course i know who the great players of today are.  And yes, along with age comes wisdom that youngsters don't have.  

That being said, your "field of nettles" comment has me scratching my head a bit.

Do you know any of the newer players in the league? You sound like age is a badge of honour. This is a good fun topic, yet you pick your way through it like it was a field of nettles......

Of course i know who the great players of today are.  And yes, along with age comes wisdom that youngsters don't have.  

That being said, your "field of nettles" comment has me scratching my head a bit.

Wallace throws some common vernacular from "across the pond" at us once in a while to keep us all on our collective toes. He's good people though, don't worry about him. ;)    Far as nettles are concerned, think thorny, flowering plants.

Would you really rate Andre Tippett higher than, say, Tom Brady though? I was a fan through Tippett's prime, loved the guy. But I'd say he's maybe the fourth best Patriot of all time, behind Brady, Hannah, and Bruce Armstrong.

Wallace throws some common vernacular from "across the pond" at us once in a while to keep us all on our collective toes. He's good people though, don't worry about him. ;)    Far as nettles are concerned, think thorny, flowering plants.

Would you really rate Andre Tippett higher than, say, Tom Brady though? I was a fan through Tippett's prime, loved the guy. But I'd say he's maybe the fourth best Patriot of all time, behind Brady, Hannah, and Bruce Armstrong.

Thank you sir.

Hannah. Interesting. We could have our favourite 'palindromic' player. Like Abba is my favourite band.....

And why isn't palindrome a palindrome.....?

49ers- Jerry Rice

Bears- Walter Payton

Bengals- Anthony Munoz

Bills- Jim Kelly

Broncos- John Elway

Browns- Jim Brown

Buccaneers- Warren Sapp

Cardinals- Fitzgerald

ChargersDan Fouts

Chiefs- Will Shields

Colts- Peyton Manning

Cowboys- Emmitt Smith

Dolphins- Dan Marino

Eagles- Reggie White

Falcons- Deion Sanders

Giants- Lawrence Taylor

Jaguars- Maurice Jones Drew

Jets- Joe Namath

Lions- Barry Sanders

Packers- Brett Favre

Panthers- Steve Smith

Patriots- Tom Brady

Raiders- Marcus Allen

Rams- Marshal Faulk

Ravens- Ray Lewis

Redskins- Art Monk

Saints- Willie Roaf

Seahawks- Walter Jones

Steelers- Joe Greene

Texans- Andre Johnson

Titans- Steve Mcnair

Vikings- Alan Page

Many to choose from for many teams, hard to narrow it down to 1 per team

49ers- Jerry Rice

Bears- Walter Payton

Bengals- Anthony Munoz

Bills- OJ Simpson

Broncos- Randy Gradishar

Browns- Joe Thomas

Buccaneers- LeRoy Selmon

Cardinals- Larry Fitzgerald

Chargers- Kellen Winslow

Chiefs- Tony Gonzalez

Colts- Jim Parker

Cowboys- Bob Lilly

Dolphins- Dwight Stephenson

Eagles- Reggie White

Falcons- Deion Sanders

Giants- Lawrence Taylor

Jaguars- Fred Taylor

Jets- Darrell Revis

Lions- Barry Sanders

Packers- Ray Nitschke

Panthers- Steve Smith

Patriots- Mike Haynes

Raiders- Art Shell

Rams- Merlin Olsen

Ravens- Jim Brown

Redskins- Darrell Green

Saints- Willie Roaf

Seahawks- Walter Jones

Steelers- Joe Greene

Texans- Andre Johnson

Titans- Earl Campbell

Vikings- Alan Page

My choices are below in red...

49ers- Jerry Rice ..agreed

Bears- Walter Payton...Could add Dick Butkus or Mike Singletary as well

Bengals- Anthony Munoz..Cris Collisworth..(J/k) agreed

Bills- OJ Simpson...Andre Reed, Thurman Thomas, Cornelius Bennett also come to mind

Broncos- Terrell Davis...agreed, but Floyd Little deserves some mention as well..on D..Steve Atwater was a beast in the secondary, along with Randy Gradishar at LB both multiple Pro Bowlers

Browns- Jim Brown agreed

Buccaneers- Warren Sapp ...The Best Buc was Lee Roy Selmon...hands down

Cardinals- Fitzgerald..Ottis "OJ" Anderson..is my vote

ChargersLadainian Tomlinson... My vote would be Kellen Winslow....Lance Alworth and Chuck Muncie could be considered as well...

Chiefs- Derrick Thomas..My vote would be Tony Gonzalez...Could also add Otis Taylor and one of the few kickers in the Hall of Fame Jan Stenerud to the discussion.

Colts- Dwight Freeney..New School I'd go with Marvin, then Edge..Old School..too many to name..John Mackey, Lenny Moore, Tom Matte, the list goes on and on...

Cowboys- Emmitt Smith.. agreed, but could add Tony Dorsett, Randy White to the discussion..

Dolphins- Jason Taylor...Larry Csonka gets my vote, butNick Buoniconti..Larry Little could be added to the discussion

Eagles- Reggie White..agreed

Falcons- Deion Sanders..I'd go with Warrick Dunn over Sanders

Giants- Lawrence Taylor..no brainer here

Jaguars- Fred Taylor ...agreed

Jets- Curtis Martin..agreed

Lions- Barry Sanders..agreed..

Packers- Don Hutson...Ray Nitchske, Paul Hornung, and Jim Taylor are in the mix for that as well...any of these 4 deserve it

Panthers- Steve Smith..agreed

Patriots- John Hannah...Mike Haynes..

Raiders- Marcus Allen..My vote is for Fred Bilitnekoff...consider also Kim Otto, and Art Shell

Rams- Marshal Faulk... Eric Dickerson is my pick, but with Deacon Jones, Rosie Grier, Merlin Olsen, Jack Youngblood.getting consideration.

Ravens- Jonathan Ogden..Ray Lewis hands down..

Redskins- Art Monk..my vote is Darrell Green with John Riggins, Charlie Taylor, and Russ Grimm getting consideration

Saints- Willie Roaf agreed

Seahawks- Walter Jones my vote is Steve Largent with consideration to Curt Warner (no not the QB)

Steelers- Joe Greene..Jack Lambert would get my vote, but almost anyone on offense and defense from those Steeler teams are in the running..

Texans- Andre Johnson..agreed

Titans- Eddie George  since they were the Houston Oilers before they moved...Earl Campbell..hands down

Vikings- Alan Page,,..Carl Eller was the bookend and Jim Marshall and Chuck Foreman get some votes as well..

Too many to name for the old Cots is true but you left off the 3 players that were better than all that you named.

Jim Parker

Gino Marchetti

Ray Berry

I put Tippett as their best "non QB" player of all time.  Tippett is a hall of famer and possibly the best linebacker of his era. And yes, I think he's the best player ever from the Pats.  

And besides, I have a hard time putting an active player on that kind of list.  Yes, I have Adrian Peterson on the list for the Vikings, but that's only because I had to eliminate a QB.

I put Tippett as their best "non QB" player of all time.  Tippett is a hall of famer and possibly the best linebacker of his era. And yes, I think he's the best player ever from the Pats.  

And besides, I have a hard time putting an active player on that kind of list.  Yes, I have Adrian Peterson on the list for the Vikings, but that's only because I had to eliminate a QB.

Did I mess that up somehow? (I thought it was someone else who listed Tippett.)

Don't get me wrong, I had a #56 jersey at one point. ;)   But, you know, Tippett's era of the NFL included this guy name Lawrence Taylor, who was probably a better LB.

He's actually working for the team still, in some kind of community relations capacity. Very smart guy, from what I hear. And something like an 8th degree black belt, lol...

Did I mess that up somehow? (I thought it was someone else who listed Tippett.)

Don't get me wrong, I had a #56 jersey at one point. ;)   But, you know, Tippett's era of the NFL included this guy name Lawrence Taylor, who was probably a better LB.

He's actually working for the team still, in some kind of community relations capacity. Very smart guy, from what I hear. And something like an 8th degree black belt, lol...

I will still say Tippett is the best non QB player ever from the Patriots history.  Lawrence taylor has no impact on my thoughts on Tippett.  

Tippett is a member of the NFL’s 1980s all-decade team and was selected to five Pro Bowls in his career, earning the nod in five straight seasons from 1984–88.

From 1984–85, Tippett recorded the highest two-season sack total by a linebacker in NFL history, totaling 35.0 sacks during the two seasons. His 18.5 sacks in 1984 are the third most by any linebacker in a single season, while his 16.5 sacks in 1985 are tied for the sixth most by any linebacker in NFL history.

Tippett holds the Patriots’ franchise record with 100.0 career sacks. He also owns the top three single-season sack performances in Patriots history (18.5 in 1984, 16.5 in 1985 and 12.5 in 1987). He ranked seventh on the all-time sacks list, and third among linebackers, at the time of his retirement following the 1993 season. Over his career, Tippett recorded 100 sacks in 151 games, an average of 0.662 sacks per game. The mark currently ranks fourth in NFL history among linebackers.

After not recording a sack as a rookie in 1982, Tippett finished either first or second on the team in sacks in each of his final 10 seasons. He led the team in sacks six times and finished second on the team four times. Tippett recorded 30 multiple-sack games in his career and sacked a total of 41 different quarterbacks. Tippett recovered 18 opponents’ fumbles during his career, tying him for first on the Patriots’ all-time list (Steve Nelson). He also forced 17 fumbles in his career.

Tippett was named the AFC’s Linebacker of the Year by the NFL Players Association for three straight seasons from 1985–87. He was voted to the Associated Press All-NFL First-team on two occasions (1985 and 1987) and Second-team on two other occasions (1986 and 1988). He was also named to the NFL Films All-Pro team in 1984.

He was voted the Newspaper Enterprise Association (NEA) co-Defensive Player of the Year (with Raider Howie Long) in 1985. Additionally, he was voted the 1985 UPI AFL-AFC Defensive Player of the Year.

Tippett spent his entire 12-year career with the Patriots and was a member of three playoff teams, including the 1985 AFC Champions.

[edit]

I will still say Tippett is the best non QB player ever from the Patriots history.  Lawrence taylor has no impact on my thoughts on Tippett.  

I only brought up LT since you mentioned Tippett as the best LB from his era.

Don't get me wrong, this is a completely subjective, opinion-based thing. And by no means am I disrespecting Tippett. Heck of a player, and definitely one of the best Patriots ever.

Best LB of his era? You know that Lawrence Taylor and Mike Singletary played during that era right?