Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

"No Clear Cut 1st Round Quarterback..."

That's not me saying that....   

That's the new GM of Kansas City,  John Dorsey, who came over from Green Bay....

Now, to be fair,  this may be a smokescreen...      His quote doesn't say "no QB worthy of the top pick overall..."    it says...  "there may not be a quarterback worth taking in the first round..."

That's quite a statement....

So,  he's either blowing smoke....   or, he's trying to tell his Chiefs fan base that they're probably not going to take a QB in the first round....   or,  he's signaling a team right below him that if they disagree and want to make sure they get the Qb they want,  talk to him about a trade...

Rememeber....   DISinformation is HUGE in the NFL this time of year...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000139900/article/chiefs-gm-john-dorsey-no-clearcut-top-qb-in-draft

Personally,  I hope that perhaps one QB goes in the first half of the first round...  and that teams who are hoping to take a QB in the 2nd round get itchy and want to trade-up into the bottom of the first round where the Colts are.   That would allow us to trade back to the top of the 2nd round, add additional picks,  and still get a player we like who would probably have a 1st round grade on our board.    Win-win!

What exactly would he have to gain from saying this, if it is just a bluff? 

Personally, I think Geno is a very good player and would have taken him above Tannehill last year, whether he's worth #1 is a big question mark but certainly worth a first rounder.

I they don't take a QB the people of KC will riot. And if they take Joeckel I'll help them.

They need a QB.

One report said KC wants Nick Foles....who no longer fits in Philadelphia.

The Eagles retained Michael Vick and signed Dennis Dixon, who played for Chip Kelly at Oregon, this past week. Nick Foles is the furthest thing from a Chip Kelly QB as you can get.

I can actually see Andy Reid trying to swing a deal for Foles...who Reid drafted. Not a bad move IMO, considering the options.

One report said KC wants Nick Foles....who no longer fits in Philadelphia.

The Eagles retained Michael Vick and signed Dennis Dixon, who played for Chip Kelly at Oregon, this past week. Nick Foles is the furthest thing from a Chip Kelly QB as you can get.

I can actually see Andy Reid trying to swing a deal for Foles...who Reid drafted. Not a bad move IMO, considering the options.

He was decent in Philly with no help, he'd probably be very good in KC with a great OL and strong run game.

The people of KC will be fine IF they get their QB in a round other than the first...

All Andy Reid has to point out is...

-- Colin Kaepernick

-- Russell Wilson

-- Andy Dalton

And that's just in the last two drafts...

Reid's background is offense....   the Chiefs' fan will cut him some slack....   at least, for a while....

The people of KC will be fine IF they get their QB in a round other than the first...

All Andy Reid has to point out is...

-- Colin Kaepernick

-- Russell Wilson

-- Andy Dalton

And that's just in the last two drafts...

Reid's background is offense.... the Chiefs' fan will cut him some slack.... at least, for a while....

Yeah, no. The Chiefs have squandered talent because of awful coaching and QB play for too long. They need a QB, and just because some QBs outside of the first have recently had success, it doesn't mean they can gamble on that. They can't keep taking lineman in the first.

Yeah, no. The Chiefs have squandered talent because of awful coaching and QB play for too long. They need a QB, and just because some QBs outside of the first have recently had success, it doesn't mean they can gamble on that. They can't keep taking lineman in the first.

This would make sense if Geno or anyone else was a guarantee but that's simply not the case.

I also think they can't gamble and take a QB first overall when there simply isn't anyone out there saying there's a single QB worth taking first overall.    And some people are saying there's no QB worth taking in the first round, period.

If you take a QB first overall, and he's a bust,  you set the franchise back years....

All of this may change in the next 9-10 weeks....   but as for now,  there's no one there worth first overall...   If I'm a fan, I'd rather find someone at the top of the 2nd....    or trade back into the bottom of the 1st....   or trade down from the first overall pick to grab the QB.  

But that last one assumes you can find a partner who wants to trade up and is willing to give up something substantial....

This decision will not be easy.....

I also think they can't gamble and take a QB first overall when there simply isn't anyone out there saying there's a single QB worth taking first overall. And some people are saying there's no QB worth taking in the first round, period.

If you take a QB first overall, and he's a bust, you set the franchise back years....

All of this may change in the next 9-10 weeks.... but as for now, there's no one there worth first overall... If I'm a fan, I'd rather find someone at the top of the 2nd.... or trade back into the bottom of the 1st.... or trade down from the first overall pick to grab the QB.

But that last one assumes you can find a partner who wants to trade up and is willing to give up something substantial....

This decision will not be easy.....

Not with the new rookie wage scale. If your FO isn't stubborn (Jacksonville) you can move on from a bust as soon as you want to.

Not with the new rookie wage scale. If your FO isn't stubborn (Jacksonville) you can move on from a bust as soon as you want to.

You're correct from a salary cap stand point.....

But I was referring to the stand point of suffering through a miserable season....   you earn the top pick overall....   and you take the wrong guy...   he's a bust...  you wind up cutting him...    and now, you've got nothing to show for that great pick and terrible season...

From a fans stand point,  the 2012 season had no positive pay off if the Chiefs blow the 2013 draft....

At least for Colts fans,  having to endure the 2011 season had a HUGE payoff...   one that will payoff for more than a decade...

But if the Chiefs blow this....   it's a disaster....     that's all I'm saying....