Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I am a Colts fan who does not know the Peyton Manning era

coltsfan_nyc

I was not a fan of the team during the Peyton Manning era. I know who he is and understand that he is one of the best to ever play the QB position. I've even seen him play the Giants and a few other teams on tv. But I belive I missed the whole Manning era.

I came onboard on the Andrew Luck train, so in essence, I am a Colt of the LUCK era! It's kind of weird because I completely missed one of the greatest QBs in the game and came in on the future greatest QB in the game!

It's like your favorite lottery number came out yesterday and you didn't play it. Then you play it the next day and it comes out again and you win! The Colts have to be the luckiest damn team in the NFL! (PUN INTENDED).

I mean, replace a legend with a future legend? How does that happen? Can the Colts be God's favorite team?

I was just thinking after doing laundry that all the great things the Colts did under Manning, all the classic games I missed, but I get a chance to see future classic games under Andrew Luck! Simply amazing.

So in other words a NY resident switched allegiance to a mid-west team because they signed a California collegian from Texas? :D

This puts an interesting perspective on the now massive and incredibly divisive "I just got into a fight" thread which you started. I was a devoted Colts fan during all the Super Bowls you were arguing about and I've never been remotely close to getting into a fist-fight about the team. I'm not sure whether to be impressed by your new-found exuberance, or frightened.

Who were you rooting for before, why did you switch, and what happens if Luck doesn't develop into a "legend" after all?

I was not a fan of the team during the Peyton Manning era. I know who he is and understand that he is one of the best to ever play the QB position. I've even seen him play the Giants and a few other teams on tv. But I belive I missed the whole Manning era.

I came onboard on the Andrew Luck train, so in essence, I am a Colt of the LUCK era! It's kind of weird because I completely missed one of the greatest QBs in the game and came in on the future greatest QB in the game!

It's like your favorite lottery number came out yesterday and you didn't play it. Then you play it the next day and it comes out again and you win! The Colts have to be the luckiest damn team in the NFL! (PUN INTENDED).

I mean, replace a legend with a future legend? How does that happen? Can the Colts be God's favorite team?

I was just thinking after doing laundry that all the great things the Colts did under Manning, all the classic games I missed, but I get a chance to see future classic games under Andrew Luck! Simply amazing.

Welcome aboard  Dude :thmup: :blueshoe:

I would recommend watching some old Colts games it'll help understand just how good he is although he meant more to the state of Indiana for his work off the field as well . He came into this league with the hopes of a franchise & city on his shoulders , Since 84 lots of QB's wore the horse shoe lots of hype but no one was even close in comparison to #18 , The closest was one of my favs Jim Harbaugh our Capt Comeback he was IMO a great leader who put the Cardiac Colts on his back & carried this team to the AFC championship the closest we every got to the big game that I can recall , However those were wild days back then for me so memories can be a little off .

Until 98 we had some tough seasons before & this one was our second 3-13 season in a row Peyton's first & he never looked back , Had the Colts invested as much in defense as they did on offense you would have seen a couple more SB appearances by the Colts but defense was always our weak link .

I started watching Andrew Luck his senior season like Peyton Manning before him & for me Luck was ahead of Manning as far as capabilities on the field running the no huddle & doing stuff that Manning did'nt do till he got to the NFL + He's bigger & stronger & can run something #18 did'nt look good doing .

If the Colts under Ryan Grigsons leadership fixs our defense then expect multiple opportunities to watch your new team in the SB . Offense draws crowds - Defense wins games .

There is no way to describe missing the Manning era being a COLT fan since UNITAS in the late 60's. I use to say to COLT fans who complained about the Manning era enjoy because i don't think you will see it ever again. I have no words to describe how much it meant to me

I was raised a Giants fan but felt they were shoved down my throat. So when I got out on my own to be my own man, I went from the Giants to the Bills (New York's forgotten team), that lasted half a season then I jumped on the Jets mid season. After being a Jets fan for a little stint I went with Andrew Luck to the Colts. I'm not going to lie. I still have a place in my heart for the JETS just because they are so close to me and they are the under dog. It's too easy to be a Giants fan, but a Jets fan can never be accused of being on the bandwagon and I admired that. Plus that was the first game I been to and a few of my friends are Jets fans.

I was never a hardcore rowdy fan, I'm soft as a feather, LOL! But now everybody in my inner circle and on my job knows I'm a Colt fan, from my Andrew Luck screen saver, to my Reebok Colts sideline jacket I wear every where in the city and my Colts watch with the horseshoe!

But yeah, just to be honest with you guys, I jumped on the Luck train! And if it doesn't work out, the Colts will just end up drafting a Unitas-Peyton-Luck Hybrid super QB anyway so....LOL

How can anyone that watches football miss the Peyton Manning era?  I like the Patriots about as much as I like having intestinal flu but I'm pretty well versed on the Tom Brady era just by watching on Sunday.

I don't mean in a litteral way like "I never witnessed Peyton play and I am oblivious to his existance", I mean I never cheered for him. I never when to a colts friendly bar to sit and watch him play! I never had a radio app to check for colts games he played in. That's all. No disrespect to him at all. I just marvelled at him from afar, but never followed the team with him at Quarterback. Luck is my peyton, LOL!

Well you can see the Colts as they are and not what they were. Who was your favorite team? Giants?

Jets ?

just ran into a video of Satan & Jesus discussing  Peyton Manning  . It was hilarious , At the end of the interview they discuss Tim Tebow to the Jets . Check it out

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/dfead2eb1e/satan-and-jesus-discuss-peyton-manning

While the Peyton era was centered basically around 1 guy, I truly believe the Luck era will be more balanced as a team.

I loved watching Peyton and Co. operate, but they never had a good defense which is why we only had 1 Superbowl win to show for it.

With Pagano and Grigson, I feel we will surround Luck with a more balanced team, both offensively and defensively. We will get bigger and more physical in the trenches, and that bodes well for Luck's future success.

I see at least 2 Superbowl wins in Luck's future.

The Colts have an incredible QB history.  Unitas, Elway (was technically drafted by the Colts), Harbaugh was decent, Peyton, Luck

By the time this posts you'll probably have had 8 responses mentioning "Bert Jones"! haha  

By the way, I know that you know of Jones, but I'll take the opportunity to point out to those that don't that he was a #2 overall pick. If the Oilers hadn't selected Dan Pastorini #3 overall a couple of years prior, Jones would have surely been #1. He isn't remembered just because he had a little success and a lot of attitude like Harbaugh, he was a big-time prospect who developed very quickly into arguable the best QB in the league. MVP at age 25, three straight division titles by 26, then the injury. If not for that, not only would he very likely be in the hall of fame, but the Colts probably would still be in Baltimore, and would never have had been in the position to draft Elway in the first place.

By the time this posts you'll probably have had 8 responses mentioning "Bert Jones"! haha  

By the way, I know that you know of Jones, but I'll take the opportunity to point out to those that don't that he was a #2 overall pick. If the Oilers hadn't selected Dan Pastorini #3 overall a couple of years prior, Jones would have surely been #1. He isn't remembered just because he had a little success and a lot of attitude like Harbaugh, he was a big-time prospect who developed very quickly into arguable the best QB in the league. MVP at age 25, three straight division titles by 26, then the injury. If not for that, not only would he very likely be in the hall of fame, but the Colts probably would still be in Baltimore, and would never have had been in the position to draft Elway in the first place.

Even Belichick admits he is the most talented QB he ever coached. :heh: Sup Pats fans

So in other words a NY resident switched allegiance to a mid-west team because they signed a California collegian from Texas? :D

This puts an interesting perspective on the now massive and incredibly divisive "I just got into a fight" thread which you started. I was a devoted Colts fan during all the Super Bowls you were arguing about and I've never been remotely close to getting into a fist-fight about the team. I'm not sure whether to be impressed by your new-found exuberance, or frightened.

Who were you rooting for before, why did you switch, and what happens if Luck doesn't develop into a "legend" after all?

You know what I think about it. Anyone can root for who they want to, but this certainly goes to my bandwagon/casual fan argument, versus the hard core city, or regional fan argument. I was a Boomer Esaison fan because I'm a Terps fan, but when he went to the Bengals I did not become a Bengals fan. If I grew up in NYC, I would be a Giants or Jets fan. Maybe I would become a Colts/Luck fan after the butt fumble. LOL

One of my pet peeves is just the opposite.  Fans who only pull for their state teams.  An example.  I know people who normally pull for Ole Miss and pull against their in state rival Miss State like they are supposed to, but if Miss State played for the SEC championship, they would pull for their in state rival Miss State just because it reflects well on the state of Mississippi and it's athletic programs.  No way would I pull for my rival EVER. 

post-12528-0-37671900-1361059211_thumb.j

The real immovable object was Donald Kroner's plane that crashed into Memorial Stadium following the Baltimore Colts loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers on December 19, 1976. The Steelers won 40-14, and it is believed because it was a blow out, fans left the game early, and it avoided a possible disaster.

No list of Colts QB's can be complete w/o Bert Jones near the top. I just missed the Unitas era, but became a fan during the Bert Jones era. How fortunate for long time Colt fans to witness Unitas, Jones, Manning, and now Luck as their QB's. Can any other team boast that type of QB history?

One of my pet peeves is just the opposite.  Fans who only pull for their state teams.  An example.  I know people who normally pull for Ole Miss and pull against their in state rival Miss State like they are supposed to, but if Miss State played for the SEC championship, they would pull for their in state rival Miss State just because it reflects well on the state of Mississippi and it's athletic programs.  No way would I pull for my rival EVER. 

It's kind of like the Ravens and the Redskins. If you grew up with a team in the city, the Colts, there was no way I would ever be a Redskins fan. I get the rival argument, especially if you grew up hating them. If you had no team in your city, and it was in the NFL outback, you may have gone for the regional team. The college deal is a bit different, because you may have been an Indiana fan, but went to St. Johns , or something, so you may have divided loyalties there. I grew up a Maryland fan, but went to Towson. I follow both Universities.

Grew up in southern VA but was never a Redskins fan. When I was little(4-5ish) I followed the Steelers but wasn't big on football until about 04(Was born in Nov 1991 so 13) which was when I said it's time to pick MY team. I saw the uniforms(Same combo as my dream car which is a 67 shelby gt500 mustang all white with blue racing stripes) and instantly fell in love with the team. Did my research and realized hey this Manning guy I've seen a few times and in commercials is pretty special haha. Been a die hard fan ever since.

A new Colts fan as of this last year myself (Colts have been my other favorite team since I met my wife, from Kokomo).

I have been a Buffalo Bills fan since they drafted O.J. Simpsons but after 12 years of losing I have had enough.  My wife being a Colts fan and Andrew Luck's potential has brought me over to becoming a Colts fan.

I love the attitude this team has, they fight to the last play. They are young and with good management and coaching the sky is the limit.

This is my favorite time of the year and I can't wait to see this team get a few more pieces toward a long run at SBs,

You know what I think about it. Anyone can root for who they want to, but this certainly goes to my bandwagon/casual fan argument, versus the hard core city, or regional fan argument. I was a Boomer Esaison fan because I'm a Terps fan, but when he went to the Bengals I did not become a Bengals fan. If I grew up in NYC, I would be a Giants or Jets fan. Maybe I would become a Colts/Luck fan after the butt fumble. LOL

I've never stepped foot in Indiana but have been a pure fan since the mid-90's. I've flown out to games. I even watched every game LAST season. There are obviously a lot of bandwagon fans, and I don't understand buying a new wardrobe for a team you've liked for about a week, but I don't think you have to be local to be a true fan.

No list of Colts QB's can be complete w/o Bert Jones near the top. I just missed the Unitas era, but became a fan during the Bert Jones era. How fortunate for long time Colt fans to witness Unitas, Jones, Manning, and now Luck as their QB's. Can any other team boast that type of QB history?

I think Starr, Favre, and Rodgers isn't too shaby.

Then there is Tittle, Brodie, Montana, Young, and possible Kaep.

Looking at the top 100 players of all time:

Unitas. 6

Manning 8

Montana. 4

Young. 81

Favre. 20

Starr. 36

Packers and 49ers are in the running, but when looking at top 3 for any franchise, I would have to go with Colts. In a few years Rodgers could push the Packers ahead.

Thanks for the info!  I knew I was forgetting someone haha

How can anyone that watches football miss the Peyton Manning era?  I like the Patriots about as much as I like having intestinal flu but I'm pretty well versed on the Tom Brady era just by watching on Sunday.

Exactly subvet, unless a person was in a comma between 1998-2010 or had no access to television or the internet, no one who admires the NFL missed  Manning's tenure in INDY. 

Don't worry, i'm not even from the United States, in fact, i had never been in the US and i'm a colts fans, i started watching this sport like 6 years ago, a sport nobody in my country watch except one guy i know and i took like 4 years before having that feeling that the Colts where my team, lol, to be clear, i felt the colts was my team after Peyton injury and all the hurt that it cause me see the Colts lost so many games.

P.S. My english is not the best.

Don't worry, i'm not even from the United States, in fact, i had never been in the US and i'm a colts fans, i started watching this sport like 6 years ago, a sport nobody in my country watch except one guy i know and i took like 4 years before having that feeling that the Colts where my team, lol, to be clear, i felt the colts was my team after Peyton injury and all the hurt that it cause me see the Colts lost so many games.

P.S. My english is not the best.

No worries Glowfish. I have relatives on my father's side of the family who speak French, German, Russian, but English is not their 1st language of origin or dialect either. Always happy to hear from an international Colts fan. Welcome Glowfish! Thanks for your support of Indianapolis. :thmup: If you don't mind my asking, where are you from? What is your native country of origin? Nice to meet you Glowfish. :hat: Don't be shy, please feel free to ask me any question if something on this Colts Forum site confuses you. Just call me SW1 for short.