Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Officially part with Freeney and Collie

B-B

Finally!!!! Freeney did not fit in with our defense and was a complete non factor last year and the year before. He got his $$$, good luck on finding a max deal somewhere else. Collie, great receiver but too bad he can't get out of a chair withour getting a concussion. I will be shocked if another team even rolls the dice with him, hopefully he saved some of that $$, he's going to need it.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well not surprising at all.  Still D-Free was a great Colt so its a sad day but definitely the right decision for the franchise moving forward. 

As for Collie...the kid gave it all he had but  injuries shortened his time here.

Wish them both the best going forward and we'll see Freeney again when he retires a Colt. 

Knew both moves were inevitable. Darn Austin Collie had such spectacular promise. Smart, worked his caboose off, & was loved by everybody in the Colts locker room.

Freeney I gonna miss your bull rush, torque, clinics in leverage, body rotation, speed, & internal combustion sacks on opposing field generals that literally took games over with a 2 TD lead. WOW!  :worthy:  :rawr:

Denver??

I can't see either Pat Bowlen or John Elway signing off on a Austin Collie contract. Too risky even with a incentive laden contract. Love your user name BTW: nitecrawler Sounds like a well toned bouncer at an exclusive club that nobody & I mean nobody messes with man.  haha Just Kidding! 

Why are people upset over collie? We have a younger, concussion free version if him in Griff Whalen!

I don't presume to speak for the vast majority of Colts fans here, but at least for me I wanted Collie to flourish here in INDY & the NFL because he worked so hard to excel at his WR craft & he had the perfect attitude. Earn everything through dedication & hard work not lose a promising career simply due to sustained concussions. You want Collie to become an NFL superstar because he's a great guy who is humble & never takes shortcuts or the easy way out. You never wanna see a great locker room leader sidelined by physical body punishment way too early in his profession. That's why so many of us are distraught & beside ourselves Narcosys. 

Why are people upset over collie? We have a younger, concussion free version if him in Griff Whalen!

The other thing that compounds the situation or makes it worse is losing so many established INDY greats off this roster in such a short time span...Manning, Saturday, Freeney, Collie. It's a harsh reality pill to swallow all at once. Again, I'm not criticizing you Narcosys...Just offering you my perspective on the recent developments that's all.

Change is easier to digest on a gradual level not a swift & almost impartial one. I agree Jules. Hang it up Austin. I don't wanna see a life changing injury unfold that you & your family cannot recover from.

May be concussion free, but still spent his rookie year on IR.

With a "foot" injury.  I think he spent the time on IR more so we could stash him away for the next season.  He was out on the field the last few home games catching passes.  I wouldn't worry about his time spent on IR over this injury it's not like he blew out a knee or anything.

Okay, I'm gonna be honest here. When I get attached & emotionally invested in NFL players & even online Colts forum bloggers on this site, I will defend them to a fault. Yes, players get replaced all the time especially with the NFL slogan: "The next man up." Sometimes, I have a really, really hard time letting go because it hurts like Hades...Sigh...I will be okay. I just don't like being disappointed. It's nothing Collie did or didn't do. I just love supporting guys that work their tails off & never feel entitled or feel beholden to special treatment. 

The other thing that probably scares the crap out of Collie is if I can't play football anymore what in the world am I going to do now to support my family financially? Good luck Austin. I will always respect you man & I hope that you & your family land softly on your feet without much strain or difficulty. 

http://youtu.be/qapmUgzMbHY

http://youtu.be/4l8G-T07C1U

Okay, I'm gonna be honest here. When I get attached & emotionally invested in NFL players & even online Colts forum bloggers on this site, I will defend them to a fault. Yes, players get replaced all the time especially with the NFL slogan: "The next man up." Sometimes, I have a really, really hard time letting go because it hurts like Hades...Sigh...I will be okay. 

People can make fun of me if they want to. That's perfectly fine. Music just helps me cope with unpleasant situations in my life. Let's let Vince Neil & Motley Crue help me get "On With The Show" 1 last time...

http://youtu.be/ggg5l_ssY_s

Thanks for indulging me & my music fetish everyone including the moderators on here.  Just to prove that I do have a sense of humor about Austin Collie's NFL predicament, Van Halen will help me prove that INDY just wanted #17 to "Finish What Ya Started" @ Lucas Oil Stadium as a WR & we are glad that GM Ryan Grigson & Jim Irsay respected you enough to not give you the "run around", yank your chain, & give you false hope of retaining your position here. HA! HA! Just Kidding! [Last music post on this page. I promise.]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsqywc7fnqE&feature=share&list=PL0C8C6yUKfbcBfoxGDd4G704gjq9mImlj

I don't know how anybody can be surprised by either one of these moves. The writing was on the wall with Freeney as soon as Pagano was hired and he was able to buy himself an extra yr. here even though he shouldn't have. And with Collie, well his fate was sealed as soon as he tore up his knee last season. Most talked about how his time here was done. Never get attached to players, that lesson should have been learned last season. Players come and players go, it's the nature of the business and no amount of emotional attachment will ever change that. Now they can both move on and give it a try somewhere else. 

Never get attached to players, that lesson should have been learned last season. Players come and players go, it's the nature of the business and no amount of emotional attachment will ever change that. Now they can both move on and give it a try somewhere else. 

Easier said than done Balzer40. Sound advice though except I think that train has already let the NFL station & Collie has no ticket or boarding pass anymore. I personally don't want to live in a world where I can't get attached to players. Yes, it blurs the line between personal preference & statistical field performance I agree, but you have your method of coping & evaluating & I have mine. If you remove emotion from the talent scouting process completely Championship never mean a darn thing either. 

http://youtu.be/5cAKPrdigZE

http://youtu.be/9Inl0bEJHUU

Easier said than done Balzer40. Sound advice though except I think that train has already let the NFL station & Collie has no ticket or boarding pass anymore. I personally don't want to live in a world where I can't get attached to players. Yes, it blurs the line between personal preference & statistical field performance I agree, but you have your method of coping & evaluating & I have mine. If you remove emotion from the talent scouting process completely Championship never mean a darn thing outu.be/9Inl0bEJHUU

Can we lay off on the YouTube post? It's slowing the Thread loading. Please & Thank You

Easier said than done Balzer40. Sound advice though except I think that train has already let the NFL station & Collie has no ticket or boarding pass anymore. I personally don't want to live in a world where I can't get attached to players. Yes, it blurs the line between personal preference & statistical field performance I agree, but you have your method of coping & evaluating & I have mine. If you remove emotion from the talent scouting process completely Championship never mean a darn thing either. 

http://youtu.be/5cAKPrdigZE

http://youtu.be/9Inl0bEJHUU

I guess I have always been able to separate the line between player and team. I am completely and totally invested in team but recognize that when players put on a Colts uniform, then I instantly will root for that player, but when that players time is done in the Colts uniform, then so is my allegiance to that player. It may seem harsh to some, but I find it the appropriate way of being a fan for myself.

Concussion free, maybe. Injury free, certainly not. I still remain very skeptical of Whalen. If he were not teammates with Luck in college, no one would be talking about him like they are. Griff is an injury plagued, undrafted rookie free agent reciever until he proves otherwise. If he werent AL's Cardinal teammate he probably wouldnt even still be with the team. I cannot factor him in as a reason our recieving core is "set and doesn't need help," as so many have suggested.

Didn't happen with Gonzalez or Addai

well if you think about it collie was good every time he played gonzalez and addai weren't after their first big injury they couldn't make plays but collie still did always played at a high level till he was literally knocked out of games.

I know Collie did go to BYU. He did relish playing against Colorado State, didn't he, along with Dennis Pitta who is now a Raven? Maybe he will give it a 1 yr. shot in Denver, Colorado after all.

The risk is smaller for Denver than for Collie, IMO, if it were a 1 yr. deal. But if I am Peyton, not sure if I would want Collie knowing that I have to be constantly aware of head shots after the catch if I am QB, it will be a bigger burden than before for Peyton, IMO.

I can't see either Pat Bowlen or John Elway signing off on a Austin Collie contract. Too risky even with a incentive laden contract. Love your user name BTW: nitecrawler Sounds like a well toned bouncer at an exclusive club that nobody & I mean nobody messes with man.  haha Just Kidding!

They signed Manning with his medical history. What makes Collie so different?

Manning had one major injury in his career and had doctors saying he would be fine (and I mean his doctors not ESPN trying to over hype things for a story.) Collie has a history of injuries that we know can happen at any time and no one is saying it won't happen again. In fact most think it will. Mannings neck injury and Collie concussion issues are at from the same thing.

With that said if I was the Broncos and he wants to play and you can get him for cheap given his history with Manning I would do it. From their viewpoint it is a low risk high reward move. If he gets hurt you aren't out much money and if stays healthy well Collie was having a great with Peyton before he got hurt in 2010.

Manning had one major injury in his career and had doctors saying he would be fine (and I mean his doctors not ESPN trying to over hype things for a story.) Collie has a history of injuries that we know can happen at any time and no one is saying it won't happen again. In fact most think it will. Mannings neck injury and Collie concussion issues are at from the same thing.

With that said if I was the Broncos and he wants to play and you can get him for cheap given his history with Manning I would do it. From their viewpoint it is a low risk high reward move. If he gets hurt you aren't out much money and if stays healthy well Collie was having a great with Peyton before he got hurt in 2010.

Same withe the Stokely signing last year....he gave them some productivity at 36...Collie could do the same....IF healthy.

I don't see it as different at all. If they were inclined to look at him, he would have to undergo a series of tests to gain doctors clearance. Same procedure as they went through with Manning. If he passes all those tests, why wouldn't they sign him? If willing to accept the risks inherent with Manning and his 4 procedures, again, why wouldn't they? In fact, I would say this is a much easier signing than Manning given exactly what you said - low risk, high reward. Won't be nearly the financial commitment.

Although not surprising in the least, it kinda $ucks to hear it confirmed.

Good luck to both and thanks for all you contributed to the horseshoe!

You make one of the best points of the thread Lolly!!  "Not surprising," but still a little shock and 'suckage' to it!!!  

I hope Collie can come back too....wondering where my buddy 'havoc' will end up....Jets?  Seahawks?

He is ten time the player Collie ever could be?  

Neither move surprised me and they were both smart moves.  Freeney just did not fit the scheme anymore.  To me his contribution to this team is really undervalued because of his poor showing this season. I think the guy will got to a 4-3 next season and have a really ood season.  He may not have another great season, but he should still have enough in the tank to put up some good numbers.

Collie was a good WR for us when healthy, but the guy just could not stay healthy.  If it was not a concussion sidelining him it was a patella injury. Hopefully he can stay healthy for a few years and does not regret wanting to play when he retires.