Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Wondering are Colts seriously interested in Arthur Brown as a 1st rounder?

After seeing that Colts scouts were appearently all over him at the senior bowl practice Im wondering If their liking him as their 1st pick. I know its still very early because we have not had the combine or pro days yet but Im just having this wierd feeling that he could be near the top of their list. And according to the NFl tracker on NFl.com e is rated as the #1 LB ahead of Jarvis Jones and Ogeltree. Their Comparison of him Navarro Bowman which is pretty high accolade. Not saying any of this true but Im really wondering.

To me he looks pretty good. He's fast and can cover alot of ground, he can hit and can cover. Plays the run pretty well. Not really known as a rusher but he can get after or to the QB if need be. He may be a guy that put where Mathis was supposed be playing most of the year until Freeny started getting injured. Then we move Mathis to where Freeny was if we let him go. Mathis be the primary edge rusher. And Brown being the guy that covers he tight end and help on the edge against the run with blitzes mixed in there as well.

What's anyone's thoughts?

I'd be completely stunned if the Colts see him as a 1st round pick.    Too small.   He profiles as a WOLB for a 4-3 defense.

If we are interested, I would think it would be along the lines of a 2nd or 3rd round pick.   I think a 1st round pick is way too optimistic for Brown.    In his own way,  isn't Brown roughly the same size as A&M's Sean Porter, who most everyone here thinks is too small?

Not saying we're not interested.   Just not as a 1st rounder.    Seems very unlikely to me.

Just my view of things....

I'd be completely stunned if the Colts see him as a 1st round pick. Too small. He profiles as a WOLB for a 4-3 defense.

If we are interested, I would think it would be along the lines of a 2nd or 3rd round pick. I think a 1st round pick is way too optimistic for Brown. In his own way, isn't Brown roughly the same size as A&M's Sean Porter, who most everyone here thinks is too small?

Not saying we're not interested. Just not as a 1st rounder. Seems very unlikely to me.

Just my view of things....

The same was said about NaVarro Bowman. I personally wouldn't mind if we drafted Brown, if Grigs sees a star. A great ILB (or two) makes a defense so much better.

personally, johnathan banks or trufant make sense. i believe banks is better than rhodes all around but in case both of them are gone trufant is still a heck of a corner. unless we trade for revis somehow and then barrett jones is still on the board i would take a guy like banks. kind of off topic but still in the draft

Arthur Brown isn't a 34 OLB, he's an ILB. Jenkins has nothing to do with him.

Well....  he's been an ILB on the college level.    Not sure it's clear yet that's where he'd play on the pro level.   He's very small for an ILB.     He's on the small side for an OLB. 

It'll be interesting to follow his lead-up to the draft as teams decide what he is, and what he isn't....

Yes, but he was considered by many a first round talent.

Considered by many what?    Draft websites?    I'm skeptical he was viewed as a 1st rounder by NFL teams...  otherwise, he wouldn't haven't fallen that far.

Let me put this another way.....     it's much, much easier to use a 3rd round pick on a possible 1st round talent like Bowman, than it is to use a 1st round pick on a 2nd or 3rd round talent like Brown.    Still, a big, big difference....

Just some food for thought....

p.s. -- hopefully our exchange here does not come across as being argumentative....   that's not my intention...    just an exchange of views and ideas....

Considered by many what? Draft websites? I'm skeptical he was viewed as a 1st rounder by NFL teams... otherwise, he wouldn't haven't fallen that far.

Let me put this another way..... it's much, much easier to use a 3rd round pick on a possible 1st round talent like Bowman, than it is to use a 1st round pick on a 2nd or 3rd round talent like Brown. Still, a big, big difference....

Just some food for thought....

p.s. -- hopefully our exchange here does not come across as being argumentative.... that's not my intention... just an exchange of views and ideas....

I think if Brown is 6'4 he's a surefire first rounder. That's my opinion obviously. And we're just discussing!

If the colts have inside information that Angerer foot isnt going to be 100%. I can see us trading back to the top of the 2nd and getting Arthur Brown. That's the only knock on this guy is that he is small. He diagnosis plays so quickly and packs a punch when he gets to the ball and can cover in space. What is he like 5 lbs smaller 6'1 231 lbs than Angerer 6 foot 236lbs so I don't see the big deal on size. I would only consider it if Angerer isn't healthy but I can see it

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1619684

Heres a profile on him. And as far as size goes I dont think is a big deal. I mean Bowman and Willis are only about 242 pounds or at least thats what thier listed at. Brown could easily gain 10 to 15 lbs of muscle when he enters the the league and he probably will. I think pepole focus on it a little too much.

If the colts have inside information that Angerer foot isnt going to be 100%. I can see us trading back to the top of the 2nd and getting Arthur Brown. That's the only knock on this guy is that he is small. He diagnosis plays so quickly and packs a punch when he gets to the ball and can cover in space. What is he like 5 lbs smaller 6'1 231 lbs than Angerer 6 foot 236lbs so I don't see the big deal on size. I would only consider it if Angerer isn't healthy but I can see it

Remember, while he may be 5 or so pounds smaller than Angerer,  it's not clear where Angerer fits into the long range plans of this front office.    Angerer was not picked by Grigson/Pagano, and he may not be the ideal of what they want.   So, you never know... 

I love the idea of trading back,  but the idea of using our first pick on an inside linebacker -- not exactly a position of our greatest need doesn't seem to make much sense to me....   and that includes the possibility that Angerer's foot hasn't healed properly and we need another quality body at ILB....

Unless Grigs and Pagano are planning on trading Angerer or Conner the only thing that the Colts are doing is there due diligence, there will be many more names over the offseason coming up, Could Brown be an ILB in a 3-4? I have no doubt......But so could the 5 ILB's we currently have on the roster only 1 of which is a FA and Brown WONT be the BPA available on the board anyway if we stick to that strategy 

Just came across this mini-writeup of Brown from NFL.com.....

Arthur Brown, LB, Kansas State: Brown lacks ideal size, but he still excites evaluators. His production is outstanding, and he is described as an ideal fit at Will linebacker in a 4-3 defense.  One scouting source compared him favorably to Tampa Bay Buccaneers linebacker Lavonte David.  Brown is currently slotted to go late in the second or early in the third round.

Looks like a good player. A little light in the britches, I wonder how well he can cover in space.

Colts are highly likely to take a pass rusher with their 1st pic. Maybe trading back to later in the 1st.

3rd Rd a pick in the trenches or a CB.

Free Agent: Killeen may have addressed the OLB/DE position...maybe not.  O-Line, D-Back, LB, NT...