Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Robert Mathis interested in having Percy Harvin as a Teammate

TKnight24

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here, were switching to a West Coast Offense with Power Run tendencies. Our whole offense will be centered around the run. Let's focus on our biggest weakness in O-Line (not to mention defense) before we start trying to dish out picks for a WR. Teams who win the Super Bowl and are consistent from year to year are teams that build through the draft, not teams who pay fortunes for players every time ones available for trade.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only injury he has suffered was a torn ligament in his ankle that happened week 10 of this season. He hasn't had migraine issues in over 2 years.

Correct:

Year Week NFL Team Injury Status Injury 2009 3 Minnesota Vikings Questionable illness 2009 6 Minnesota Vikings Questionable shoulder 2009 7 Minnesota Vikings Questionable shoulder 2009 8 Minnesota Vikings Questionable illness 2009 14 Minnesota Vikings Questionable illness 2009 15 Minnesota Vikings Questionable illness 2009 20 Minnesota Vikings Questionable illness 2010 2 Minnesota Vikings Questionable hip 2010 3 Minnesota Vikings Probable hip 2010 7 Minnesota Vikings Probable hamstring 2010 9 Minnesota Vikings Questionable ankle 2010 10 Minnesota Vikings Questionable illness/ankle 2010 11 Minnesota Vikings Probable ankle 2010 13 Minnesota Vikings Questionable illness 2010 14 Minnesota Vikings Doubtful illness 2011 3 Minnesota Vikings Probable illness 2011 6 Minnesota Vikings Questionable ribs 2011 7 Minnesota Vikings Probable ribs 2011 8 Minnesota Vikings Questionable ribs 2011 12 Minnesota Vikings Questionable ribs 2011 13 Minnesota Vikings Questionable illness 2011 14 Minnesota Vikings Probable finger 2012 6 Minnesota Vikings Probable hamstring 2012 9 Minnesota Vikings Probable hamstring 2012 10 Minnesota Vikings Out ankle 2012 12 Minnesota Vikings Doubtful ankle 2012 13 Minnesota Vikings Out ankle 2012 14 Minnesota Vikings Injured Reserve ankle 2012 15 Minnesota Vikings Injured Reserve ankle 2012 16 Minnesota Vikings Injured Reserve ankle 2012 17 Minnesota Vikings Injured Reserve ankle 2012 18 Minnesota Vikings Injured Reserve ankle 2012 19 Minnesota Vikings Injured Reserve ankle 2012 20 Minnesota Vikings Injured Reserve ankle 2012 21 Minnesota Vikings Injured Reserve ankle

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/player/20748/nfl/injury_history/percy-harvin#ixzz2KYfza19v

Not the least bit interested.   And I suspect there will be a fair number of teams that will have no interest as well.

Problems:

-- You have to trade for him,  plus sign him to an extension.   He's got one year left.   You don't want to trade for someone and only have them for one year. 

-- He wants huge money.   Not worth huge money.

-- He's had public tantrums with two coaches,  Brad Childress and Leslie Frazier.    That's not the kind of behavior Grigson/Pagano want.

-- He has off the field issues.   Had them back in college.    There's a reason he fell into the 20's in the draft with his kind of talent.

No thanks.    Let him be someone else's problem....  

Hey I like Percy Harvin, but there is no reason for us to break the bank to bring him here. Our offense can be effective without him. I'd take him only if the contract could be structured to where it made pretty good financial sense.

I think he'd be an excellent replacement for Donnie "Butter Fingers" Avery. The issue is I don't think we have any chance of getting Harvin here at the same price we're paying Avery. Zero chance.

Teams who win the Super Bowl and are consistent from year to year are teams that build through the draft, not teams who pay fortunes for players every time ones available for trade.

Ehh, my Madden 13 Roster & SB Wins would beg to differ haha . Free Agency & Trading is my Drafts lol.

But in all seriousness, you're absolutely right. We got a young team growing here, should continue to build through the Draft. And a few "Young" FA's here & there that will be healthy & contribute

If you think Harvin isn't a top 10 playmaker in this league, you haven't really watched him play. He makes an impact as a return man, WR, and RB. He was dominant this year prior to his ankle injury. Now, is there risks, yes. Very similar to Davis in that regard.

I agree he is very dominant and makes a huge impact, but he is going to want too much money. I would rather make a move Mike Wallace or Dwayne Bowe.

I still think juicing up our O-line should be the 1st priority.

Image how much better Luck would be if he a little more time in the pocket...

Not worth losing a draft pick over with only one more year on his deal, pass and make a bid on him next year in FA

Problem is if the Colts don't someone else will. There are 31 other teams in this league, and as the article states his value is a 2nd or 3rd. Sounds like he has trade value, therefore he will not reach FA if the Vikes intend to trade him.

Ehh, my Madden 13 Roster & SB Wins would beg to differ haha . Free Agency & Trading is my Drafts lol.

But in all seriousness, you're absolutely right. We got a young team growing here, should continue to build through the Draft. And a few "Young" FA's here & there that will be healthy & contribute

Something tells me that you have salary cap off, although it wouldn't really matter and I ended up buying dwight freeney, domata peko, mike wallace and andrew whitworth (to name a few) whilst still being like 40 million under still, why can't real football be like madden? :P

"@RossTuckerNFL : Percy Harvin was banned from playing ALL HS sports in Virginia for  his on-field/court behavior. That's a 1st for me."

no thanks.

He's had his share of problems with the Vikings and when he was at Florida too.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/20/report-harvin-frazier-had-heated-exchange/

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/10/harvin-among-gators-players-who-undermined-the-program-under-meyer/

This guy has serious attitude problems and I hope the Colts want nothing to do with him. He isn't worth the money he's wanting either.

He's had his share of problems with the Vikings and when he was at Florida too.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/20/report-harvin-frazier-had-heated-exchange/

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/10/harvin-among-gators-players-who-undermined-the-program-under-meyer/

This guy has serious attitude problems and I hope the Colts want nothing to do with him. He isn't worth the money he's wanting either.

Can Jeff Fisher sign another bad apple?  I love Harvin's skills.  He dominated some games this year and almost beat us!  You know what they say about one bad apple........

bad-apples1.jpg

Something tells me that you have salary cap off, although it wouldn't really matter and I ended up buying dwight freeney, domata peko, mike wallace and andrew whitworth (to name a few) whilst still being like 40 million under still, why can't real football be like madden? :P

Yeah salary cap off, I hate math haha . But the draft is so frustrating now. With the whole scouting points. Too much work so I just pick random people and hope they work out for me lol

I agree he is very dominant and makes a huge impact, but he is going to want too much money. I would rather make a move Mike Wallace or Dwayne Bowe.

I still think juicing up our O-line should be the 1st priority.

Image how much better Luck would be if he a little more time in the pocket...

I wouldn't touch Bowe or Wallace. I don't know what kind of money Harvin is looking for or what the Vikes would actually take for him (I see they want a 2nd or 3rd), but out of those three, he's the most versatile and consistent when on the field.  

I agree OL should be above offensive skill positions.

I agree OL is top priority but let's look at the Houston Texans. There problem is and continues to be that when they are forced to throw down the field (with an oline that had 3 pro bowlers btw) they couldn't push it because outside of an aging Andre Johnson, they have no one. Luck can have all day to throw but if no one is getting open downfield, it's pointless. And while there were more plays this year where luck was under deress, there were also plays were no one got open downfield and luck was forced to take the sack.

At least sign Wallace, Bowe, or Gregg Jennings so Luck has a great reliable #1 outside of Reggie.

-- He's had public tantrums with two coaches,  Brad Childress and Leslie Frazier.    That's not the kind of behavior Grigson/Pagano want.

Wouldn't you have tantrums if those were your two coaches?  lol

Grigson would step on him.....Pagano would 'feisty him' and Mathis would say....sorry coach I was wrong.....and sweep the poor  :cuss: away ..... rotflmao

I definitely would have tantrums...with Frazier and his Cover 2 defense....but that is another topic.....:)

I agree OL is top priority but let's look at the Houston Texans. There problem is and continues to be that when they are forced to throw down the field (with an oline that had 3 pro bowlers btw) they couldn't push it because outside of an aging Andre Johnson, they have no one. Luck can have all day to throw but if no one is getting open downfield, it's pointless. And while there were more plays this year where luck was under deress, there were also plays were no one got open downfield and luck was forced to take the sack.

At least sign Wallace, Bowe, or Gregg Jennings so Luck has a great reliable #1 outside of Reggie.

Luck passed for over 4300 yds. to those receivers that couldn't get open. Very rarely did Luck ever have time to throw.

Just talking AFC here: After giving those contracts to Gronk and Hernandez and with Welker in free agency, Pats dont have the room for Harvin.

Broncos have an aging Stokely and badly need help at slot WR but with Ryan Clady a free agent and not much cap room, Broncos would have to cut a few guys to make room for Harvin.

If the Colts let go of Avery, Harvin in the slot with TY on the outside is a good possibility. Colts do have the cap room. As long as Harvin's contract is not timed to expire in 2015, which is when most of our rookies will need to be re-signed (other than Luck), Grigson can pull it off. But first, a man-to-man conversation is necessary and passing a physical is also important. I do think the Colts have a huge advantage on several fronts, IMO.

Panthers would be a great fit for Harvin, IMO. A team that needs WR help plus ample option oriented play calling that can take advantage of Harvin for running plays and reverses like Randall Cobb.

Just talking AFC here: After giving those contracts to Gronk and Hernandez and with Welker in free agency, Pats dont have the room for Harvin.

Broncos have an aging Stokely and badly need help at slot WR but with Ryan Clady a free agent and not much cap room, Broncos would have to cut a few guys to make room for Harvin.

If the Colts let go of Avery, Harvin in the slot with TY on the outside is a good possibility. Colts do have the cap room. As long as Harvin's contract is not timed to expire in 2015, which is when most of our rookies will need to be re-signed (other than Luck), Grigson can pull it off. But first, a man-to-man conversation is necessary and passing a physical is also important. I do think the Colts have a huge advantage on several fronts, IMO.

Panthers would be a great fit for Harvin, IMO. A team that needs WR help plus ample option oriented play calling that can take advantage of Harvin for running plays and reverses like Randall Cobb.

I think TY could play slot and Harvin could play outside opposite RW as well. To me, the real question is do TY and Harvin compliment each other or are they redundant positionally. I don't really think it will happen, but I do get a excited thinking about Harvin in speed blue.

I wonder if Mathis would like to play beside J J Watt? Speaking of things that ain`t gonna happen.

Ya I know, no trading Mathis either. :)

And no signing spencer or kruger because they are best suited for Mathis' spot along with J Hughes.

Pretty much guarantees we draft a PRusher in rd one. Then again if you are willing to pay Freeney $14M, all rational is thrown out the window.

Here's some good info on Harvin from an ESPN insider article (btw, in the article, the Colts were not listed as a top trade suitor for Harvin...it was the Pats, 49ers, Falcons, Jags, Dolphins, and Chiefs):

Despite missing the final seven games of the season, Harvin led the league in missed tackles forced by a non-running back with 22. That is five more than the next-best receiver,Brandon Marshall, who had 56 additional receptions on which to make people miss. That statistic also doesn't count the five additional misses Harvin forced when running the football lined up in the backfield or the damage he did as a return man.

As a return man, Harvin was a devastating weapon, scoring a touchdown and averaging more than 35 yards each time he ran it back. As a receiver, only Philadelphia's Jason Avant, who didn't drop a ball all season, had a better drop rate. In 81 targets through nine games, Harvin dropped just one pass, or 1.59 percent of the catchable balls thrown his way. Compared to other high-volume underneath targets like Wes Welker (11.28 percent),Davone Bess (11.59 percent), Dexter McCluster (11.86 percent) or Victor Cruz (12.24 percent), Harvin was a far more reliable target.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here, were switching to a West Coast Offense with Power Run tendencies. Our whole offense will be centered around the run. Let's focus on our biggest weakness in O-Line (not to mention defense) before we start trying to dish out picks for a WR. Teams who win the Super Bowl and are consistent from year to year are teams that build through the draft, not teams who pay fortunes for players every time ones available for trade.

I'm not saying I'm for signing Harvin but Luck said something about keeping some of the old play book, this offense might not be as run heavy as you think. Plus they're will be room for other signings after fixing the Oline. I'm all for grabbing 1 more receiver and replacing Avery but I'm skeptical of Havin. I'd would be fine signing him for a big contract if he wasn't a headache.

I think luxuries may be signed some time after march and before the draft. Just depends how many holes can be filled on the oline and defense. I have a feeling those of you wanting a big time wr are going to be very disappointed. maybe I'm wrong, but i don't see grigs signing a 9+ million a year wr anytime soon

I am sure Robert Mathis the player is interested in adding another star player.  With that said I am sure Mathis is thinking about right NOW and not the future of the team at all.  I also doubt he knows what it would cost to get Harvin, how that would impact the cap in future years, and the risks that come with getting Harvin, how would adding Harvin and his contract impact you getting other players that you need, and I also doubt Mathis really cares about those things.  If you are just talking talent wise who wouldn't want Harvin?  When you start to measure the other things then it does become a question of if getting Harvin is a wise move or not.  That's why we have a GM to figure out the answers to those questions. 

Just because Mathis is interested in him doesn't mean the Colts are.  At the end of the day it's going to be Grigson that would have to answer for it.  Meaning if it goes wrong it's going to be Grigson that is held accountable for it not Mathis.  It's much easier to stand out there and oh heck yeah go get this guy when you aren't the one who will be held accountable for it.