Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chase Thomas or Brandon Jenkins

Brandon Jenkins for what we need

Thomas looks to have trouble shedding blockers, inconsistent diagnosing run or pass, he is good at avoiding a block, I think a pure finesse pass rusher who needs to work on his hand use, can get a jump on the ball but I would not say an explosive first step, 248lbs sounds like a 4-3 OLB to me, I just dont see him being a high motor pass rushing threat that would wreck an opposing teams game plan or cause an opposing team to lose alot of a sleep over, can drop back in a short Zone and cover

Brandon Jenkins- Has an explosive first step, uses his hands well to get separation, takes consistent good angles to the ball carrier, excellent closing speed, draws attention from other blockers (someone that has to be gameplanned against). Needs work playing the run, Good instincts reacting pre snap and post snap, Not someone I's ask to drop back in Zone coverage much

As a longtime Stanford fan, I'd take Jenkins.

A more explosive athlete and that's what the OLB position at the NFL level must have.

Thomas' game is heart, hustle, desire, motor, smarts and will.

But it's not speed, quickness, explosiveness, power or athleticism.    For me in that spot,  that's what I want.

If Chase could play the Inside then his skill set would be a much better match.   But for the outside,  I want the athlete.

I didn't go to Stanford like TrailerTrash,  but I've followed the school for 40 years.   Clearly I love it and I love Chase Thomas.

But I'm not convinced his game will translate well to the NFL.   I easily could be wrong,  but if given a choice, I'll take Jenkins.    (assuming he's healthy)

One more thought on this Jenkins/Thomas debate....

Thomas does have an advantage for the Colts....    he plays in a 3-4.

Jenkins plays in a 4-3 for FSU....   and not every OLB in a 4-3 can make the change-over to a 3-4 OLB.

This issue could be the decider.    And to the poster who said Jenkins might not be around at the bottom of the 3rd,  you're right.   But, the injury might push him down, or,  we might trade-up a bit to try and get him.    Just thinking out loud.....