Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How do you feel about the cold weather Super Bowl next year ? NY/NJ....

Jules

The problem isn't so much with the game itself. NFL games are played in the cold, snow, wind, rain, etc. The problem is more the logistics around the game. When Dallas hosted the SB they got a little dusting of ice and snow and it nearly crippled the city. (Granted, they're not used to it or equipped to deal with it, but you get the point.)

The storm we got Fri-Sat did as much to paralyze the Northeast as anything I've seen in 40 years of living up here. I got about two feet where I live, with drifts up to four. Clearing the roads, parking lots, etc, is still ongoing.

So if I'm a planner of the SB, I'm against this idea. Just too much of a wildcard for me.

As a fan, though, I love the idea. Going to a cold-weather game is a matter of dressing properly for it and taking the necessary precautions (usually large quantities of brown liquor). If it's OK to play a conference championship game in the cold, I see little difference with playing a Super Bowl in it.

One idea that would provide some compromise, and that I would absolutely LOVE... move the game time up so that you're playing in (mostly) daylight. Maybe a 3 pm start. That also gets people home earlier. But it'll never happen, lol...

Drinking booze is not a wise idea when you are cold. It will make you feel warmer fora short time because the blood rushes to yourcapillaries. The problem is the blood leaves your core and actually makes you colder.

I like the idea of an earlier kick off time. But like you said, it won't happen

Are various drugs and surgery even can take for it if ever gets bad enough, but yeah that can be stinging pain  or as u say numb, color changes common with changes to blood vessel diameter

Of course , the better the gloves and more layers u use as u know the easier to prevent attacks

are other meds that can make it worse, certain blood pressure ones, ,all those BIRTH  CONTROL PILLS u r on ( LOL ) even OTC like sudafed all can cause increased blood vessel constriction via vaso spasm of smaller artery vessel walls just like the cold does

If experience it long enough the walls, over years, of the arteries can permanently thicken over time and u get increased attacks

Wow fellas, the ease of navigating a SB city with ease, the danger of cold temperatures & the affect on a person's bloodstream, & artery related heart attacks. A deep discussion on SB outcomes there & preventing GPS headaches & human fatalities. Interesting...I still want more cold weather SB stadium locations though. Football was made to played in the elements. As comedian George Carlin said "football is played in the fall when everything is dying...Can't see the numbers, hash marks, or 1st downs on the field & the struggle will continue." This world has gotten way too soft IMO. 

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No way i would want to be any where around Manhattan during that. Its bad enough with nothing going on

some of my greatest memories are scattered all over Brooklyn & Manhattan as my Bicycle & me knew every pothole, esp on ones en route to outrdoor paid concerts in Central park from starting near coney island for reference but really a few miules east of there

Man i hated walking my bike up the stairs of the Brooklyn Bridge , so finally just rode with the cars even with these huge studs for car traction sticking up,, u had to hold onto the handle bars really tight

I also had an corner office in 1976 in the world trade center for the bicentenial and nothing like midday carousing lower manhattan  

Finally I was there when building the outdoor top scenic area  in my tower and lets say I ckristened it with the workers before it was opened and also spent many a great time at windows of the world, and all those concerts at lincoln center and the fillmore and walking the streets at 4 am with huge crowds back then

Know its changed alot and cant do such anymore, way to bad , it aint progress

No way i would want to be any where around Manhattan during that. Its bad enough with nothing going on

For four hours?

Wow fellas, the ease of navigating a SB city with ease, the danger of cold temperatures & the affect on a person's bloodstream, & artery related heart attacks. A deep discussion on SB outcomes there & preventing GPS headaches & human fatalities. Interesting...I still want more cold weather SB stadium locations though. Football was made to played in the elements. As comedian George Carlin said "football is played in the fall when everything is dying...Can't see the numbers, hash marks, or 1st downs on the field & the struggle will continue." This world has gotten way too soft IMO. 

If u have never lived on the edge when doing something u desire  

then u have never lived Period ! ! ! !!!!

Thats it for me todayu, enjoy

I will acknowledge that a poorly laid out city that is a nightmare to get in, around, & out of should be immediately eliminated from SB hosting contention. But there is more to a stadium location than shopping malls, restaurants, & hotels. Yes, you must have places for reporters to sleep for 2 weeks as they file their stories with their editors I will admit, but come on I feel SBs now are a real estate & entertainment convention with the football game being a minor after thought. So sad...There are great football city's that will never get a shot at hosting a SB just because they don't have enough hotels to accommodate all the press personnel. It ticks me off.

I guess what really gets me upset is that teams in larger media markets always win & small teams like GB, Chicago, or Cleveland always get trampled by AZ, Florida, & New Orleans. All that SB cash for 2 weeks would be a nice influx of cash that could help city planning commissioners convince Roger Goodell that smaller market team have value & are worth investing in with massive infrastructure, stadium rennovations & state legislature hotel building projects as a major tourist attraction IMO.

The other thing that bothers me is that although the NFL tries to level the fairness playing field with the Rooney Rule & the worst NFL team getting the #1 draft pick....Why does it do nothing to help out smaller market teams who can't expand their stadiums or improve them based on their state's ability to generate revenue alone?

If the idea is to make your weakest link stronger, why remain silent on all small market teams & their capability to host a SB? What is Roger Goodell & the owners doing to level the playing field? The NFL needs a Rooney Rule for SB hosting city's & stadium financing for expansion IMHO.

Now, I what people will say poor ticket sales & no expansion = poor winning record on a frequent basis. Look at the AZ Cardinals & Minnesota Vikings, 2 NFL teams with annually lack luster records on average & they either hosted a SB or got a stadium upgrade approved.

Perhaps, I should expand my stadium Rooney Rule to include financing for hotels too. Sorry for altering this topic of discussion everyone, but I am very passionate about small market team fairness. Thank you for letting me vent my frustrations. I really appreciate it!

Comedian Bill Maher once compared Football to Baseball as sports on an economic level. "...Football is based on a model of fairness & opportunity & baseball is based on a model where the rich always win & the poor have no chance [based on access to large sums of capital.]...TV is their chief source of revenue & why they don't want anyone to fall to far behind...Baseball's economic theory is 'everyman for himself.'...If you have no skin in the game [can't control your collective fate due to a huge payroll that small market teams can't compete with.] You become indifferent & bitter to the outcome of the game.

Small market teams get bitter real quick because their opportunity to flourish & compete gets crushed by rich teams like the Cowboys or the Seahawks.

I guess small market NFL teams just have to be more creative when it comes to scouting & evaluating the talent level of players. I apologize for mixing sports genres together [baseball & football] but this movie trailer from "Moneyball" illustrates the need to be innovative when your strapped for cash. And huge market franchises can still misfire in free agency or the draft I guess right? But, the most money= the best scouting Dept. usually.

http://youtu.be/-4QPVo0UIzc

Well I've been watching the Super Bowl on television since I was a kid so the weather is always warm

no matter what town they play it in! I'll be on the couch.

I can enjoy watching the Super Bowl in New York as long as it doesn't snow. One thing I can say about

Northerners is they are rabid football fans, so the stadium should be rocking unless nobody cares about

the two teams who make it next season. I suppose it can't hurt trying this once I guess.

For all this talk of cold weather, effects on the body, etc....has anyone ever heard of a little event called the Winter Olympics? Usually held in cold places, snowy, and it's over two weeks long. The SB game is 4 hours long tops. Now granted, there is no football in the Olympics, but there are plenty of sports that beat up the body (moguls skiing anyone? Not to mention any downhill skiing event). There are tons more fans attending the Winter Olympics than the SB, and they dress for the weather. Some may cry "apples and oranges", but not so fast. If a city can pull off a 17 day international sporting event in the cold, a city can certainly get it together for a week for the SB...it is ONE GAME people...

The NFL, preparing for the possibility of bad weather hitting the New York/New Jersey region on Super Bowl XLVIII game day, is exploring playing the game on a Saturday or delaying it for several days, according to a published report.

"We have to look at all the angles: storm arriving day-of-game, storm arriving prior to game, storm arriving after game," a source told the Sports Business Journal.

Super Bowl XLVIII is slated to be played on Feb. 2, 2014, at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, N.J. It will be the first Super Bowl ever held in an open-air stadium in a cold-weather region.

As the report points out, rescheduling the game, however, could create myriad problems for fans, who might be forced to reschedule flights and extend/cancel hotel stays.

"As we do for every Super Bowl, we have been planning for all possibilities and are creating various contingency plans to deal with each potential situation," an NFL spokesperson wrote in an email to ESPNNewYork.com, adding that the league would not comment on specifics so far in advance of the game.

Well I've been watching the Super Bowl on television since I was a kid so the weather is always warm

no matter what town they play it in! I'll be on the couch.

I can enjoy watching the Super Bowl in New York as long as it doesn't snow. One thing I can say about

Northerners is they are rabid football fans, so the stadium should be rocking unless nobody cares about

the two teams who make it next season. I suppose it can't hurt trying this once I guess.

There you go krunk! Way to keep an open mind & who knows if the weather cooperates & isn't a major hassle in February it will open the SB hosting door to other non-warm stadium locations down the road too.  :thmup:

You know, it did always amaze me that a team like the Patriots in a snow game would light it up in the air sometimes.(I remember that game they played in Chicago a few years ago in the snow, my God) I feel like it's been a few years since we saw them have one of those but I never was completely sold that winter weather completely halts offenses? Unless it is just NE. haha

Is it the freezing cold or heavy rain that has a bigger effect......

You know, it did always amaze me that a team like the Patriots in a snow game would light it up in the air sometimes.(I remember that game they played in Chicago a few years ago in the snow, my God) I feel like it's been a few years since we saw them have one of those but I never was completely sold that winter weather completely halts offenses? Unless it is just NE. haha

Manning to Reggie, Manning to Reggie, Manning to Reggie, Manning to Dallas, Manning to Dallas......right, that's enough, you've got your records, let's see what Curtis can do.........Buffalo Snow Game 2009.

The Patriots go with the philosophy that snow and adverse conditions actually provide an advantage to the offense, especially in the passing game. Pass-rushers can't get their footing, and defenders don't know what routes receivers are running. Normally a top CB can turn on a dime with the wideout, but not if his feet are sliding around. So it helps in terms of slowing down the rush and allowing guys to get a little space to get open.

The trade-off, of course, is that it's harder to throw and catch the ball in those conditions. But the positives outweigh the negatives I think.

So if you're playing the Pats in the snow, get ready to play some pass defense.

The Patriots go with the philosophy that snow and adverse conditions actually provide an advantage to the offense, especially in the passing game. Pass-rushers can't get their footing, and defenders don't know what routes receivers are running. Normally a top CB can turn on a dime with the wideout, but not if his feet are sliding around. So it helps in terms of slowing down the rush and allowing guys to get a little space to get open.

The trade-off, of course, is that it's harder to throw and catch the ball in those conditions. But the positives outweigh the negatives I think.

So if you're playing the Pats in the snow, get ready to play some pass defense.

It is a simple philosophy too.....the offensive player knows where he is going.....the defensive player does not.....(slip/slide slip/fall:))  The Patriots are simply the best prepared team in the snow I have ever seen play....nobody close.

I was watching Gettysburg last night.....same philosophy....(No I do not know Belichick's Gettysburg address)