Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How do you feel about the cold weather Super Bowl next year ? NY/NJ....

Jules

I will admit that a blizzard in NY or NJ during a SB would diminish fan turnout in a stadium, but the SB is primarily a TV event anyway. Most people watch it from the comfort of their den or their living rooms. They rarely attend the event in person. Also, the elements are part of the game just like making or missing crucial FG kicks. I hate it that SBs are notoriously held in AZ, FL, or warm weather climate locations. 

Just once, I like to see Tiger Woods play a golf tournament in Cleveland, Ohio in 5 below with 17 MPH winds with a bright orange ball. Tiger can wear goggles & a warm winter coat I don't care. No need to get frostbite. If you can win that course under adverse conditions. You have legitimate skills as a player. 

I'm sick & tired of domes & tropical breezy stadium locations for almost every SB. Weather is part of every game. Peyton Manning & the Colts beat Rex Grossman & the Bears in the rain in 2006. 

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so are you against playing the afc or nfc championship outdoors in a cold weather city? or even the playoffs or any game from december on? its no different, by your logic every team should play in a dome

Those teams earned home field advantage

I will admit that a blizzard in NY or NJ during a SB would diminish fan turnout in a stadium, but the SB is primarily a TV event anyway. Most people watch it from the comfort of their den or their living rooms. They rarely attend the event in person. Also, the elements are part of the game just like making or missing crucial FG kicks. I hate it that SBs are notoriously held in AZ, FL, or warm weather climate locations. 

Just once, I like to see Tiger Woods play a golf tournament in Cleveland, Ohio in 5 below with 17 MPH winds with a bright orange ball. Tiger can wear goggles & a warm winter coat I don't care. No need to get frostbite. If you can win that course under adverse conditions. You have legitimate skills as a player. 

I'm sick & tired of domes & tropical breezy stadium locations for almost every SB. Weather is part of every game. Peyton Manning & the Colts beat Rex Grossman & the Bears in the rain in 2006. 

Well said sir. In 1999 (I think), the Open was played in Carnoustie, Scotland, with howling gales and rough up to your neck, and all the big named pampered American golfers (and a few others from warmer climes) cried like babies when they shot 76's etc, including Tiger. It was won by a Scotsman, at 10 over!

I will admit that a blizzard in NY or NJ during a SB would diminish fan turnout in a stadium, but the SB is primarily a TV event anyway. Most people watch it from the comfort of their den or their living rooms. They rarely attend the event in person. Also, the elements Ste part of the game just like making or missing crucial FG kicks. I hate it that SBs are notoriously held in AZ, FL, or warm weather climate locations.

If there is a blizzard, it will be the last outdoor superbowl in a cold location. The league and fans want scoring. Bad weather hampers scoring. so i hope there is a blizzard next year

And the wussification of America continues....football is meant to be played outdoors! I don't care if the score is 10-7. The NFL has become air raid football anyway. A nice grinder in the snow would be fine by me. And as if any of us are going anyway. The NY/NJ location has more problems than the weather. In fact, even if it were a dome, it's still forever away from Manhattan, where all the festivities will be (or at least where the NFL wants them to be). But as for the weather, who cares? This ain't the Pro Bowl. It counts. Let the stuffed suits that make up most of the crowd freeze for all I care. Any real fans will know to dress accordingly, all 47 that attend it. I guess I am just tired of what the SB has become; nearly unreachable for the fans of either team. It's all corporate and ivory tower types. They play plenty of football in January anyway, and back when men were men the NFL Championship was played in actual cold weather stadiums...

And the wussification of America continues....football is meant to be played outdoors! I don't care if the score is 10-7. The NFL has become air raid football anyway. A nice grinder in the snow would be fine by me. And as if any of us are going anyway. The NY/NJ location has more problems than the weather. In fact, even if it were a dome, it's still forever away from Manhattan, where all the festivities will be (or at least where the NFL wants them to be). But as for the weather, who cares? This ain't the Pro Bowl. It counts. Let the stuffed suits that make up most of the crowd freeze for all I care. Any real fans will know to dress accordingly, all 47 that attend it. I guess I am just tired of what the SB has become; nearly unreachable for the fans of either team. It's all corporate and ivory tower types. They play plenty of football in January anyway, and back when men were men the NFL Championship was played in actual cold weather stadiums...

Superbowl 1 was played in LA

If there is a blizzard, it will be the last outdoor superbowl in a cold location. The league and fans want scoring. Bad weather hampers scoring. so i hope there is a blizzard next year

Most of your reply is right on the money jvan1973, but I would argue that bad weather does not hamper scoring. It just means ball security is paramount & it entails strategic scoring as opposed to landslide, lopsided scoring that's all. Deadly defense not a high powered offense is the order of the day in that kind of SB IMHO.

Preach cmgww! Preach! Bad weather always favors the defense & highlights the necessity of gritty o-line men & tough running backs. Take the spotlight off of pretty boy QBs for once & give the BIG power pigs in the trenches some love & respect.  :gym:  :strong:  :thmup:

To be fair this coming Super Bowl will be the first Super Bowl ever to be played outdoors in a cold weather area. Although you did say NFL Championship so maybe you meant back in the 40s when the fan base and championship spectacle was nothing like it is today.

Well said sir. In 1999 (I think), the Open was played in Carnoustie, Scotland, with howling gales and rough up to your neck, and all the big named pampered American golfers (and a few others from warmer climes) cried like babies when they shot 76's etc, including Tiger. It was won by a Scotsman, at 10 over!

I love how European golfers never complain & American golfers find any excuse to whine & moan. Tiger Woods is such a _____________. [Another word for cat & a popular Tom Jones song.] European golfers can win anywhere under any conditions why not American golfers or U.S. football players for that matter? Soccer & Rugby are played in less than perfect conditions. Man up & play no excuses IMO.

http://youtu.be/VBdSqk78nHw

I love how European golfers never complain & American golfers find any excuse to whine & moan. Tiger Woods is such a _____________. [Another word for cat & a popular Tom Jones song.] European golfers can win anywhere under any conditions why not American golfers or U.S. football players for that matter? Soccer & Rugby are played in less than perfect conditions. Man up & play no excuses IMO.

http://youtu.be/VBdSqk78nHw

I don't recall seeing a soccor or rugby match being played in a blizzard

George Carlin would agree with you 100% cmgww. 

http://youtu.be/R78RBrS7jsc

I don't recall seeing a soccor or rugby match being played in a blizzard

Not a lot of snow comes off the English Channel, but Europe does get a lot of wind & rain though. I can't hold a region responsible for weather conditions like blizzards that soccer & rugby players seldom see, let alone experience. 

Oh really...Ask & you shall receive jvan...

http://youtu.be/qOCA03ifjXU

http://youtu.be/ED6NaAY_J90

Not a lot of snow comes off the English Channel, but Europe does get a lot of wind & rain though. I can't hold a region responsible for weather conditions like blizzards that soccer & rugby players seldom see, let alone experience.

Oh really...Ask & you shall receive jvan...

http://youtu.be/qOCA03ifjXU

http://youtu.be/ED6NaAY_J90

Not exactly championship caliber examples there.

I live in NY, and I think this was a stupid idea.

1st and foremost, Metlife stadium sucks. I've only been to LOS and Metlife for football games, and I can say hands down, LOS is 100000000000x a better Stadium than Metlife, even though Metlife was built only a few years ago.

The only thing Metlife has going for it is the parking. There is literally NOTHING near the stadium, when I say nothing, I mean nothing. If you travel to this game it's best to rent a car, because your taxi fees will be more than the total cost of the trip. Think your gonna party in Times Square? Yeah right, with the traffic it might take you about 14 hours to get there, like I said before, NOTHING Is accessible by foot.

Second, This stadium is already cold, before adding February into the mix, some of the upper seating is know to be extremely windy and shaded from the sun.

We'll see what the weather actually ends up being like, but if another blizzard hits like this weekend, it's safe to say the state of NJ will end up spending more to have the bowl here than it will actually make in revenue.

I live in NY, and I think this was a stupid idea.

1st and foremost, Metlife stadium sucks. I've only been to LOS and Metlife for football games, and I can say hands down, LOS is 100000000000x a better Stadium than Metlife, even though Metlife was built only a few years ago.

The only thing Metlife has going for it is the parking. There is literally NOTHING near the stadium, when I say nothing, I mean nothing. If you travel to this game it's best to rent a car, because your taxi fees will be more than the total cost of the trip. Think your gonna party in Times Square? Yeah right, with the traffic it might take you about 14 hours to get there, like I said before, NOTHING Is accessible by foot.

Second, This stadium is already cold, before adding February into the mix, some of the upper seating is know to be extremely windy and shaded from the sun.

We'll see what the weather actually ends up being like, but if another blizzard hits like this weekend, it's safe to say the state of NJ will end up spending more to have the bowl here than it will actually make in revenue.

thats the only reason i dont care for it at metlife, the stadium is awful, for what it costed, they could have built something much better, but the majority of the ppl wont be driving to the game or to times square, they will all take trains, and ppl will be staying in the city cause like u said theres nothing around the stadium

and last, nj will not be benefitting much from this superbowl, everything will be held in the city even tho the stadium is in nj

i can think of plenty of reasons not to have it here, but the weather is the last on my list

read Bayones post hit the nail on head as to what they said

Hers is what the newest  " Elite " QB says

Flacco Calls Cold Weather Super Bowls  #..ed    CLICK ON LINK THE SITE CENSOR CHANGES THE WORD 

“Yeah,” Flacco said. “I think it’s #..ed.”

Use of the word “#...ed” in a public setting almost always brings negative attention upon the speaker, and Flacco seemed to immediately realize that.

“I probably shouldn’t say that,” Flacco said, changing his description to “stupid” before explaining why playing the Super Bowl in cold weather is a bad idea.

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2013/01/29/flacco-calls-cold-weather-super-bowls-foolish/

This is what perplexes me, if cameras can be created that withstand pressure as divers descent several feet down under water, why can cameras be created that can withstand frigid temperatures & extreme cold? 

thats the only reason i dont care for it at metlife, the stadium is awful, for what it costed, they could have built something much better, but the majority of the ppl wont be driving to the game or to times square, they will all take trains, and ppl will be staying in the city cause like u said theres nothing around the stadium

and last, nj will not be benefitting much from this superbowl, everything will be held in the city even tho the stadium is in nj

i can think of plenty of reasons not to have it here, but the weather is the last on my list

I've always driven to the stadium, how close is the train station?

I've always driven to the stadium, how close is the train station?

I've read that there is a special train service activated before and after games, to a purpose built station that is extremely convenient. To be fair, if the Super Bowl was held there the service would probably be active constantly, and from the Secaucus exchange you can pretty much go anywhere if memory serves. Path to lower Manhattan, NJT to Penn Station, or Philly for that matter.

But as I said earlier I'm against it. 

I'm sorry to hear that Met-Life is lousy. I was at the first football game ever held in Giants Stadium in 76 (Rutgers) and it was state of the art. One would think that they would replace it with something grand. Met Life is only two years newer than LOS.

when ive gone i drove to the secaucus station and the train stakes u right to the stadium, its not far at all

Interesting,

It would cost me a ton to take the train because I'd have to go to Penn station in NY and then over to the stadium, I'd much rather just make the 90 min drive from my house.

I personally would only go to the Superbowl @ Metlife if the Colts were in it, I don't really care too much if the players don't wanna play in the cold, but I do feel for the fans, mainly because the real fans will probably be sitting upper deck where it's even colder with the wind chill.

Best way to watch this game would be from one of the suites http://www.metlifestadium.com/buy-suites.php

I don't even wanna try to fathom how much a hotel room for the night will cost that weekend. Oh well, I'm still gonna try to get tickets, if a NY team gets in, I'll cash in like a rock star :)

I've read that there is a special train service activated before and after games, to a purpose built station that is extremely convenient. To be fair, if the Super Bowl was held there the service would probably be active constantly, and from the Secaucus exchange you can pretty much go anywhere if memory serves. Path to lower Manhattan, NJT to Penn Station, or Philly for that matter.

But as I said earlier I'm against it. 

I'm sorry to hear that Met-Life is lousy. I was at the first football game ever held in Giants Stadium in 76 (Rutgers) and it was state of the art. One would think that they would replace it with something grand. Met Life is only two years newer than LOS.

The easiest way to describe Metlife is it kinda feels like a prison.

All the walls on the inside are bear concrete (probably because it would be a lot of work to change from Giants / Jets all the time), all of the eateries seem like they are mobile, nothing is permanent, it just feels crappy. Obviously the seats are plane jane because of two teams, not like at LOS where the seats have the horseshoe and such.

From a technology standpoint they are pretty close. They have about the same setup with the jumbo trons.

The upper level seating is way better than the old Giants stadium, you can actually see the whole field now, but that is the only improvement I ever hear fans talking about.

Interesting,

It would cost me a ton to take the train because I'd have to go to Penn station in NY and then over to the stadium, I'd much rather just make the 90 min drive from my house.

I personally would only go to the Superbowl @ Metlife if the Colts were in it, I don't really care too much if the players don't wanna play in the cold, but I do feel for the fans, mainly because the real fans will probably be sitting upper deck where it's even colder with the wind chill.

Best way to watch this game would be from one of the suites.

I don't even wanna try to fathom how much a hotel room for the night will cost that weekend. Oh well, I'm still gonna try to get tickets, if a NY team gets in, I'll cash in like a rock star :)

the players and teams arent really against it, flacco is just an *, hes the one who won in denver in below freezings temps, but if u ask any player or team if they would pass up the opportunity to play in a superbowl, and tell them they would have to lay in the cold and possibly snow in metlife, no one would pass it up, its ridiculous, its the superbowl, thats what they play for, they want to be there

as for the fans, u never see lack of fans in green bay, denver, new england, etc..they will show up, and yes if the colts get in, ill be there

All the walls on the inside are bear concrete (probably because it would be a lot of work to change from Giants / Jets all the time), all of the eateries seem like they are mobile, nothing is permanent, it just feels crappy. Obviously the seats are plane jane because of two teams, not like at LOS where the seats have the horseshoe and such.

From a technology standpoint they are pretty close. They have about the same setup with the jumbo trons.

The upper level seating is way better than the old Giants stadium, you can actually see the whole field now, but that is the only improvement I ever hear fans talking about.

for a billion dollars, so much more could have been done, i hate the stadium

the players and teams arent really against it, flacco is just an *, hes the one who won in denver in below freezings temps, but if u ask any player or team if they would pass up the opportunity to play in a superbowl, and tell them they would have to lay in the cold and possibly snow in metlife, no one would pass it up, its ridiculous, its the superbowl, thats what they play for, they want to be there

as for the fans, u never see lack of fans in green bay, denver, new england, etc..they will show up, and yes if the colts get in, ill be there

Those fans are use to the cold though. What if it were a Miami vs Tampa Bay Superbowl? (lol I know the scenario is hilarious)

Those fans are use to the cold though. What if it were a Miami vs Tampa Bay Superbowl? (lol I know the scenario is hilarious)

well theyre either going to have to just deal with it or there will be more tickets available for those in the surrounding areas

I think Luck'll do well in it. ;)

I think it'll be brilliant. Cold weather games are often superb. As people have said, the game's meant to be played outdoors. I'd love to see somewhere like Lambeau get the Super Bowl in the future, there'd be something special about a Super Bowl played there...

as I was going to a Med conference this weekend in single digit weather , shivering a bit as with my compromised neck i get cold easier ( my home I must geat n more than others ) , Not saying Peyton has same issue,  but was thinking  Man are my arms and legs frozen  but at least my insides are warm , blood flow is often redirected to vital organs from the limbs , so plausible leg stamina may not last if v blood supply is redirected, not sure , just plausible, pends alot on how cold and on the individual

fluid within joints have their viscosity  change to  so cushioning of joints changes

I think Luck'll do well in it. ;)

I think it'll be brilliant. Cold weather games are often superb. As people have said, the game's meant to be played outdoors. I'd love to see somewhere like Lambeau get the Super Bowl in the future, there'd be something special about a Super Bowl played there...

Green bay couldn't handle Ann event as big as the super bowl

I got cut off while editing was trying to writer all this

as I was going to a Med conference this weekend in single digit weather , shivering a bit as with my compromised neck i get cold easier ( my home I must geat n more than others ) , Not saying Peyton has same issue,  but was thinking  Man are my arms and legs frozen  but at least my insides are warm , blood flow is often redirected to vital organs from the limbs & also the body trys not to lose heat through the skin so vessels constrict , so plausible leg stamina may not last if v blood supply is redirected, not sure , just plausible, pends alot on how cold and on the individual

fluid within joints have their viscosity  change to  so cushioning of joints changes

as said before , are a myriad of changes, much harder  for warm weather team to adjust to cold playing than cold weather team to warm weather,   Percy Harvin will get more migraines  but forget which causes it cold or warm weather

Just try & tie shoe laces in freezing weather, its hard, fine motoir skills go as nerve impulses are affected

Muscle reactions and nerve impulses are simply slowed maaking it harder to move

shivvering is an attempt for the body to create heat

blood vessels can decrease in diameter so Blood Pressure can rise, thats why more herat attacks in cold weather, when bad the body tries to reduce its fluid volume like a water piill b for blood pressure  so u may go to the bathroom imore f u get my drift

Woemen are said to be able to handle copld weather better due to more subcutaneous fat, so maybe lineman with all that extra padding as it aint all muscle may handle it better , not sure , but then agaain as balkl is snapped and suddenly have to power up and move that opposing lineman so may still be much harder anyway as I said, muscles due slow down

The entire human body is  weather sensitive in one way or another

Adaptation plays a major part too. Living in a cold environment means that people become used to the temperature and the metabolism changes to adapt.

That's just lovely. I had read that there there were issues with there being two teams, but I assumed that this would result in MORE design features, not less. Of course it's bigger than LOS, and money doesn't go as far in this part of the country, but it's also a lot bigger than Giants stadium was. I know that they need room underneath for double the home team facilities, but still.

The website emphasizes the incredible and abundant suites/clubs etc. I guess those of us who can't afford that are stuck with a "blah" seat and a portable Papa John's food cart. Fortunately I can live on pizza. At least I hope that the seats are roomy, the beer is cold, and the bathrooms are abundant.

Such a foolish idea...

....warm weather sites or domes...only...There's plenty of them...

No NY..No Chicago....No Baltimore..

This is just a situation where a lot of smart people went into a room and talked themselevs into something that is insane on the face of it..

Its going to be very, very cold outdoors at night in February....It always is. A 5-year-old could tell you that.

Choosing between New Jersey and Tampa Florida and they chose New Jersey..

Chris Humphries could make better choices...

I agree that football is an outside sport and it's fun watching games in less than spectacular conditions, but the point of having the SB in a neutral location is supposed to be so that one team don't have an advantage over another and IMO that includes weather conditions. One cold weather team should not have an advantage over a warm weather city team. Teams can not help where they play regionally, so the SB should be played in a dome or in warm weather. This evens the playing field for both teams and neither has an advantage simply because one is from a cold weather city where they are used to playing in crappy conditions.