Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How do you feel about the cold weather Super Bowl next year ? NY/NJ....

Jules

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even if the dancers are wearing 5 jackets, somebody will find a way to nip-slip.

This Super Bowl is way too connected to the New York Jets. Which could spell doom in some shape or form. We will just have to find out later........

Should be interesting at the very least.

Maybe we all get lucky and see a nice winters day but then again we could also get freezing cold or a snow storm. :)

Oh and the halftime show should be interesting too.

IMO it is an awful idea.. I like seeing indoors or nice weather for the Super Bowl. The cold/snow possibility is no good

I understand why the NFL does this....

A city spends $1 Billion to build a stadium for it's NFL Franchise and so the NFL wants to do some type of payback.

But this will be silly.    At best it'll be freezing cold and windy.    Fans will be miserable.    The Super Bowl is a week long event for the city.    I don't think many fans who come to the the game want to walk around outdoors on the streets of Manhattan in that kind of weather.

I think the intention was good.    I think the idea is ridiculous.      :loco:     :thmdown:     :yuk:    :no:      :censored:    

I understand why the NFL does this....

A city spends $1 Billion to build a stadium for it's NFL Franchise and so the NFL wants to do some type of payback.

But this will be silly.    At best it'll be freezing cold and windy.    Fans will be miserable.    The Super Bowl is a week long event for the city.    I don't think many fans who come to the the game want to walk around outdoors on the streets of Manhattan in that kind of weather.

I think the intention was good.    I think the idea is ridiculous.      :loco:     :thmdown:     :yuk:    :no:      :censored:    

Gotta agree with this post. I mean, I am not anti bad weather games at all. It's football.

But, this is the SUPER BOWL. It is more then a football game. It's an event for fans too. If you arrive early and have to partake in pre Super Bowl festivities in a snow storm or freezing temps how fun is that?

But, what is done is done. They have the game. I just find it interesting too since the weather could effect the game as well. We might have a defensive battle for all we know which people thought we would have gotten this recent SB but didn't. A fumble or two if the weather is bad that might not be there if the weather was good.

It will be a tough one to predict IMO based on the elements.

Like I said, we might get lucky and get a good winters day!

But, if we have a heavy underdog playing a heavy favorite maybe the weather can also help neutralize things too. I just find all the what if's interesting.........

Come on, I love this idea. A SB in the elements. Fantastic! QBs are too coddled & pampered. I want sleet. The messier the better. God some QBs are such wimps. If fans can dress in layers & toughen up why not players? 

Offensive linemen thrive in less than perfect conditions. This is old school RB, grid it out football. I love it!  :thmup:

It is what it is although a Texans vs. Saints Super Bowl would be kinda funny next year. 

I already told my family when this game was decided to be in NY that we would either have two dome teams in it or two teams from warm weather climates and the fans would have to buy winter clothes.

lmao

Being from NY/NJ I am happy that my neck of the woods is hosting the superbowl. I'm not sure how visitors from around the world would feel about sitting outside in the dead of winter in the north east part of the united states though.

It would make for some good football to watch on tv though if it was to snow. By the way, as I'm typing this post, there is a foot of snow on the ground and it's still snowing...

I love football, and some of the best games ever were in snow, rain, mud and -20 wind chills.....I personally do not have a problem with it, but corporate America does for sure.....big big bucks to advertise and send clients to the game....(I am retired....so who cares :))  Yes we got lucky with the Indiana weather...will NY?  Can we say Nor-Easter....................

sno5.jpg?w=640559-zame5.St.138.jpeg

You can have it and keep it,Cold is more injuries waiting to happen,granted never had domes in early days,and my hats off to the tough individuals who braved and fought the elements.Now to do so is not really very smart or fair to those playing the game.This league is supposed to be about safety of players right?Further more weather elements does nothing to prove whos the best team,just proves whos better suited to play in elements

You can have it and keep it,Cold is more injuries waiting to happen,granted never had domes in early days,and my hats off to the tough individuals who braved and fought the elements.Now to do so is not really very smart or fair to those playing the game.This league is supposed to be about safety of players right?Further more weather elements does nothing to prove whos the best team,just proves whos better suited to play in elements

You are right......Party Pooper!   :spit:

As a transplanted former Garden Stater, I'm more concerned about the location than the weather. I love visiting NY, too, but it seems too me it'll be like using a sledge hammer when a tack hammer is the right tool.

There is a reason people felt so connected to the SB experience in Indy. It's a small city, and very accessible and pedestrian friendly. It'll be interesting to see how they try to create a SB village feel.

The league is supposed to be about football or, if you want to be really cynical about it, selling the product of football.  Player safety comes after that.  Besides which, cold weather itself isn't going to have much of an effect on injuries.

Domes make (some) fans weak. :)

The league is supposed to be about football or, if you want to be really cynical about it, selling the product of football.  Player safety comes after that.  Besides which, cold weather itself isn't going to have much of an effect on injuries.

HA HA!  A little frost bite never hurt anybody at the Ice Bowl (pic 1967).....got gloves?   :)  Freezer Bowl? (link below)

2156176247_43fd3e90f3_o.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freezer_Bowl

Edited by BrentMc11

I think it will be great. Here in NJ it really doesnt get that cold. If people think 25°F is cold, they need to get out more. Wear a coat and you'll be fine. It rarely drops below 20° here. Championship teams are supposed to be the best. If you want to be the best, you cant let a little cold stop you.

How is the weather right now? Imagine that kind of weather for a superbowl. Personally i hope that happens. It will show hire dumb it is to play an outdoor superbowl in the north east.

How is the weather right now? Imagine that kind of weather for a superbowl. Personally i hope that happens. It will show hire dumb it is to play an outdoor superbowl in the north east.

And Denver wants to host as well. Imagine a Super Bowl with a wind chill below zero as in the Ravens game. Of course Denver can have lovely winter weather - as can NJ - but why take the chance.

I think it will be great. Here in NJ it really doesnt get that cold. If people think 25°F is cold, they need to get out more. Wear a coat and you'll be fine. It rarely drops below 20° here. Championship teams are supposed to be the best. If you want to be the best, you cant let a little cold stop you.

As a fan I will enjoy from the warmth of my lil cave here in Indy , While I agree 25 is not very cold if your used to working outside which I do for the average person attending a SB , A roof represents  warmth & comfort Lucas Oil Stadium could of opened the roof if thats what fans prefer . Who knows it could start a craze the next Pro Bowl could be held in Nome Alaska, The half time show could be Don Ho & Chili Willie .

according to the expert physical trainers i seen on tv yesterday,your statement on cold weather is false

Should be interesting at the very least.

Maybe we all get lucky and see a nice winters day but then again we could also get freezing cold or a snow storm. :)

Oh and the halftime show should be interesting too.

Hers is what the newest  " Elite " QB says

Flacco Calls Cold Weather Super Bowls  #..ed    CLICK ON LINK THE SITE CENSOR CHANGES THE WORD 

“Yeah,” Flacco said. “I think it’s #..ed.”

Use of the word “#...ed” in a public setting almost always brings negative attention upon the speaker, and Flacco seemed to immediately realize that.

“I probably shouldn’t say that,” Flacco said, changing his description to “stupid” before explaining why playing the Super Bowl in cold weather is a bad idea.

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2013/01/29/flacco-calls-cold-weather-super-bowls-foolish/

according to the expert physical trainers i seen on tv yesterday,your statement on cold weather is false

players must keep ligaments, soft tissue for one warm & loose or can pull / injure easier, can affect breathing and lining of soft tissues where breathed in if not use to it,  are myriad of  other possible  issues too, all just possible pending the individuals immune system and what one is used to

As a NJ resident I have mixed feelings about this. I have no interest in "Super Bowl - the event". I've never even entered a contest with SB tickets as a prize for fear that I might win. An evening of TV is one thing, turning it into a vacation (likely involving teams I don't care about) is not attractive. So having all the hoopla in my backyard sounds primarily annoying. The noise would be everywhere.

Of course if the Colts (or Broncos) were in it, the urge to attend might be overwhelming, but so might the cost of tickets, simply adding frustration to the aforementioned noise.

To the game itself, I can't think of a single reason to prefer it being held in Giants stadium other than the "gee wiz" factor if Peyton were to win it in "Eli's" stadium as Eli did in his. Ten seconds of "ahhhhhh, that's a nice story" isn't worth the risk of abominable weather.

When you get right down to it, bad weather games are an interesting anomaly when they happen, but planning ahead to create one intentionally seems just ridiculous. And while the efforts of players toughing one out may be admirable, it doesn't make for good football. Isn't that kind of the desired goal of the SB? I considered the Colts win over the Bears to be an incredibly depressing and anti-climactic finish to the season. I felt dank and miserable watching it from my den, I doubt somehow that it was better in the stands. Why would you want that? In my opinion the Super Bowl should ALWAYS be held in a dome. Control the environment to virtually guarantee the conditions under which the game will be held. All parties know what playing field (literally and figuratively) they will be facing years ahead of time, and can plan accordingly. That's more than fair.  If you want to play the SB at the home of the team with the best record - rewarding them for excelling in a certain environment - that's a whole different conversation. But cold weather sites essentially let a roll of the dice decide the quality of the game, and infer an advantage (at the last second) to one team or another that has little to do with their skill level. How is that appropriate for the Championship game on a neutral field?

People act as if a dome provides a competitive disadvantage to a run/defense oriented team. That's simply not true - that style can win anywhere. On the other hand bad weather IS a competitive disadvantage to a passing team. You could have the greatest team in history come down the (turn)pike, and then a blizzard hands the game to the team whose walk-on injury replacement kicker - three days earlier making burgers and fries at the Vince Lombardi rest area -  happens to be so incredibly overweight that he gets better traction in snow. A 3-0 victory with no passes attempted, and eight future hofers carted off with career ending injuries. "Sorry greatest team of all time, try again next year". Is that really the preferred outcome? The desired outcome is the best football game possible. The heck with "macho" and "old school" sentiments - you'll have to settle for trying to order your wife around, and getting clocked over the head with a bowl of nachos. I want good television - period.

The second aspect - "Super Bowl - the event" - is a whole different thing. I don't particularly care which domed city they hold it in since I won't be there. NY is a great tourist attraction (of course the Meadowlands is not - for good reason). If people want to come there in February, more power to them. It's good for the economy. Unless the entire transportation system is shut down like it was yesterday of course. Lots to see and do regardless for the hardy. I'm sure that a Circle line cruise with 40mph gusts of freezing sleet is just delightful. You might even be able to make out the outline of the Statue of Liberty - just before you hit it. Or you can sit in your room at the Motel Six in beauteous Secaucus and watch the knuckleheads repeatedly rear-ending each other on the Turnpiike. When the weather improves you can go catch a show. I'm sure that eventually you'll make it to mid-town with most of your family intact. Of course you probably won't find a cab. Watch out for the rancid wall of spray (and the annoyingly frostbitten homeless people) kicked up by passing vehicles as you trudge 20+ blocks through slush and snow to see the lovely Scarlett Johansson in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof. Probably had the tickets for months waiting for this trip. Of course you'll get stuck seeing Amber Johnson filing in. Scarlett will be at home - like any sensible person. :P

so are you against playing the afc or nfc championship outdoors in a cold weather city? or even the playoffs or any game from december on? its no different, by your logic every team should play in a dome

You're being baaaaaad RG3.....