Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dustin

Jaguar's new logo

75 posts in this topic

While more feminine, it is also thinner and sleeker.  Looks quick.  I want to see it on a uni.

While more feminine, it is also thinner and sleeker.  Looks quick.  I want to see it on a uni.

I heard they are revealing their new unis on draft day.

haha.... I think you meant Mario Paint for the SNES.

Microsoft Paint...Mario Paint....either way it looks dumb. :)

I heard that only MJD gets to wear the new one and everybody else the old one.

1 person likes this

Well, the last logo change for the Pats was in 2000. And look how well that worked. It was nothing to do with Belicheck, Brady, Adam V or the strong defense. It was the new logo (which looked no different from the previous version I hasten to add) which turned them into a 'near' Dynasty...... 

Maybe Khan is onto something....

As a graphic designer, my thoughts, which I'll break up into parts:

ERaZlVW.png

Overall look: Yea, the new logo looks more feminine. It's due to the slender head with a more whiter color palette, whereas the original is more black dominant. On the other hand, this whiter palette allows a stronger backdrop for more detail clarity, including more black decal spots and accentuated eyes and mouth, so the white is a double-edged sword.

The Black Decal Spots: I like the black decal spots on the new one better due to its slightly more airbrush feel, since the original black spots looked like pasted on Cheetos shapes.

Ears: The new logo's ears are more detailed and erect, signifying aggressive alertness -- both important qualities for football players. The original's are sloped down, exhibiting a more timid look.

Mouth: The new logo has a clearer delineation where the mouth begins and ends, whereas the original just trails off into black. I also like the new logo's mouth stretched into a grin. In the context of football, this grin gives off a sadistic nature. The longer tongue also plays into this.

Eyes: The new logo's eyes have more diagonal energy and are looking forward, suggesting the Jaguars are looking toward the future. The original's are more neutral looking with dilated pupils, and are inclined more towards observing the viewer and/or forward, which is to say the Jaguar looks confused.

-----

So yea, I like this new logo better, but I'd still like it to be more masculine. I suppose I'm fine with the whiter palette, but they should play with the head's shape more. Make the head stouter. These football players are big men. Give them a big Jaguar!

3 people like this

As a graphic designer, my thoughts, which I'll break up into parts:

ERaZlVW.png

Overall look: Yea, it looks more feminine. It's due to the slender head with a more whiter color palette, whereas the original is more black dominant, which accentuates a higher volume area. I'd like to see the new one more black and stout.

The Black Decal Spots: I like the black decal spots on the new one better due to its slightly more airbrush feel, since the original black spots looked like pasted on Cheetos shapes.

Ears: The new logo's ears are more detailed and erect, signifying aggressive alertness -- both important qualities for football players. The original's are sloped down, exhibiting a more timid look.

Mouth: The new logo has a clearer delineation where the mouth begins and ends, whereas the original just trails off into black. I also like the new logo's mouth stretched into a grin. In the context of football, this grin gives the logo a sadistic nature.

Eyes: The new logo's eyes have more diagonal energy and are looking forward, suggesting the Jaguars are looking toward the future. The original's are more neutral looking with dilated pupils, and are inclined more towards observing the viewer.

-----

So yea, I like this new logo better, but I'd still like it to be more masculine. Make the head stouter. These football players are big men. Give them a big Jaguar!

Interesting breakdown there ReMeDy. I felt like I was watching a cheetah take down a giselle on the African plane, especially with the ears back & non-dilated pupils. Personally, I think the graphic designer should had manipulated the width of the bridge of the nose more making it smaller, modifying the jawline closing it more, & making the whiskers thinner, less pronounced, and more cat like realistic.

Cheetahs are more menacing with a closed mouth, gleaming, night vision eyes, & crouched & sloped down shoulder blades right before they attack their prey at lightning fast speed. Translation: Show more of the cat's physique, tone, & muscle mass in attack mode not just the head.

Interesting breakdown there ReMeDy. I felt like I was watching a cheetah take down a giselle on the African plane, especially with the ears back & non-dilated pupils. Personally, I think the graphic designer should had manipulated the width of the bridge of the nose more making it smaller, modifying the jawline closing it more, & making the whiskers thinner, less pronounced, and more cat like realistic.

Cheetahs are more menacing with a closed mouth, gleaming, night vision eyes, & crouched & sloped down shoulder blades right before they attack their prey at lightning fast speed. Translation: Show more of the cat's physique, tone, & muscle mass in attack mode not just the head.

Like this: 

http://youtu.be/iarsmqA3dck

http://youtu.be/30UaROwbA8Y

I looked up Jaguars growling and actually it's much like the drawing.

Jaguar-2.jpg

jaguars_fad3d1aa.jpg

But there's something about it that looks too cartoon-y. I think it's the lack of jagged edges.

2 people like this

Nice explanation, now I know why I felt the way I did when I saw it.  I'm still good with it and even more so now that real Jags have been shown on this thread.  Saw it on ESPN Sport Center side bar too.  Catching.

Grumpy cat?  Ummm, not so impressed-

qm.gifGrmpyKat_JagsLogo_zps2ff2970b.jpg

. I think it's the lack of jagged edges.

I see what you did there?

But there's something about it that looks too cartoon-y. I think it's the lack of jagged edges.

Excellent point Vance! Way to childish & cartoonish in scope in both mascot drawings. They remind me of Tony The Tiger on a Frosted Flakes cereal box. No fear or intimidation whatsoever. 

PS where are his whiskers on the left side? Are they combed down with hair gel? The Panthers logo has both sides...

PS where are his whiskers on the left side? Are they combed down with hair gel? The Panthers logo has both sides...

Whiskers on both side's of a cat's face...Check. Tougher & more menacing NFL emblem...Check. The female leader of the pride leader not liking whiskers rubbing up against them & demanding a trim...Check  haha

Jaguar-2.jpg

jaguars_fad3d1aa.jpg

Usually thick black strokes give off that cartoon-y vibe, which both logos have, but because the new logo uses a lot more white, the black stroke is accentuated, whereas in the original, the black stroke blends into some of the other black in the original logo, so it's less pronounced.

1 person likes this

Usually thick black strokes give off that cartoon-y vibe, which both logos have, but because the new logo uses a lot more white, the black stroke is accentuated, whereas in the original, the black stroke blends into some of the other black in the original logo, so it's less pronounced.

I always like getting a glimpse into the creative process of any artist whether they are an illustrator, dancer, or musician. Thanks for letting me peek behind that elusive curtain of talent & inspiration ReMeDY.   :thmup:

A thread to discuss the Jags new logo... ROTFlmao 

Yes, The next part is to discuss how the folks in L.A. like it....     :hide:

2 people like this

Yes, The next part is to discuss how the folks in L.A. like it....     :hide:

when they move to LA they will renamed to the prima donnas  in order to reflect the region

when they move to LA they will renamed to the prima donnas  in order to reflect the region

or the cougars

2 people like this

or the cougars

Mmm...cougars...now that's a good team name lol.

jags.jpg

I recognize the face

2 people like this

I like the logo. Los Angeles Jaguars has a good ring to it.

Dang!  You beat me to the LA comment.  

Wouldn't surprise me in a year or two.  I'm surprised they put a team there in the first place.  Many people there are Dolphins or Bucs fans.

Dang!  You beat me to the LA comment.  

Wouldn't surprise me in a year or two.  I'm surprised they put a team there in the first place.  Many people there are Dolphins or Bucs fans.

Many people here in Indy were Bears, Bengals, Steelers, Browns or Rams fans.  In fact, many were seemingly brown paper bag fans for a long while.  It is really impressive what a well managed team and a few wins can do for a fan base.  You might have said the same thing about Indy as recently as 1997.

1 person likes this

The newest version of the Jaguar is brought to you by "The Deer Antler Spray Association!!!"  With just 150 mgs of IGF-1....you can be just like Blaine Gabbert!  Merry Christmas!

UQbNDi1.png