Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Day After Superbowl Mock - Detailed signings and cap figures

This is my best to date mock free agency and draft...

Free agency (46 mil cap room)

Resign- OTs Joe Reitz, Winston Justice

- CB Darius Butler

- LB Moises Fokou

- DE Fili Moala

- P Pat McAfee

Accounts for approx. 8 mil of cap for 2013

Indy signs free agents

- OLB Kruger or Spencer (5 years 37 mil 7.5 mil per year)

- OG Louis Vasquez (5 years 30 mil 6 mil per year)

- NT Isaac Sopoaga (3 years 7.5 mil  2.5 mil per year)

- CB Mike Jenkins (4 years 14 mil 3.5 mil per year)

- OT Jermon Bushrod (4 years 20 mil 5 mil per year)

Total cap on free agents : 24.5 mil

2013 NFL Draft

**Indy trades down from 24th overall to the early 2nd round with Arizona(38th overall)

(Indy gets Arizona 3rd rounder in return)

2nd(via trade)- WR DeAndre Hopkins, Clemson (We get our future #1 WR to learn from Reggie for a year or 2. Hopkins has good size at 6-1, 210 pounds, and is good with the jump ball. Plus he is young at only 21 at the start of the season. We needed another WR since we didnt resign Avery and only have Hilton and Brazill other than Wayne. Gotta surround Luck with talent.)

3rd(via trade)- OG Larry Warford, Kentucky (Remember this is an early 3rd so there is a chance he could last to this pick. If not we could possibly trade up to the late 2nd to get him. Along with the signing of Vasquez, this would give us 2 big mauling OGs to allow us to run Pep Hamiltons power offense, while also providing good interior protection.)

3rd- DT/DE Sylvester Williams, North Carolina (He is a little old at 24, but he has already garnered interest from our coaches, and could play 3-4 DE for us to keep both Redding and Moala fresh.)

4th- SS Phillip Thomas, Fresno State (I really like this kid. I have a highlight here of him if you dont know much about him.

He is also a little older at 24 when the season starts, but plays big time and is big at 6-1, 215.)

5th(comp pick)- CB Darius Slay, Miss State (He was overshadowed by Johnthon Banks, but Slay is a pretty good man corner and is best suited there. He also has size at 6-1, 190. He can be coached up by Pagano.)

Approx. cap for draft picks : 5 mil

Total cap spent this year 37.5 mil

Amount left : Approx. 8.5 mil

What are your thoughts on my more in depth offseason for our Colts?

Expecting warford and williams to bet there in the 3rd is being way too optimistic....although I think nfl.com has Williams rated as a 3rd rounder. Would be surprised if Bushrod only got 5m per. Would love it if everything broke that way though...But i would like to see the colts draft another pass rusher

This is my best to date mock free agency and draft...

Free agency (46 mil cap room)

Resign- OTs Joe Reitz, Winston Justice

- CB Darius Butler

- LB Moises Fokou

- DE Fili Moala

- P Pat McAfee

Accounts for approx. 8 mil of cap for 2013

Indy signs free agents

- OLB Kruger or Spencer (5 years 37 mil 7.5 mil per year)

- OG Louis Vasquez (5 years 30 mil 6 mil per year)

- NT Isaac Sopoaga (3 years 7.5 mil  2.5 mil per year)

- CB Mike Jenkins (4 years 14 mil 3.5 mil per year)

- OT Jermon Bushrod (4 years 20 mil 5 mil per year)

Total cap on free agents : 24.5 mil

2013 NFL Draft

**Indy trades down from 24th overall to the early 2nd round with Arizona(38th overall)

(Indy gets Arizona 3rd rounder in return)

2nd(via trade)- WR DeAndre Hopkins, Clemson (We get our future #1 WR to learn from Reggie for a year or 2. Hopkins has good size at 6-1, 210 pounds, and is good with the jump ball. Plus he is young at only 21 at the start of the season. We needed another WR since we didnt resign Avery and only have Hilton and Brazill other than Wayne. Gotta surround Luck with talent.)

3rd(via trade)- OG Larry Warford, Kentucky (Remember this is an early 3rd so there is a chance he could last to this pick. If not we could possibly trade up to the late 2nd to get him. Along with the signing of Vasquez, this would give us 2 big mauling OGs to allow us to run Pep Hamiltons power offense, while also providing good interior protection.)

3rd- DT/DE Sylvester Williams, North Carolina (He is a little old at 24, but he has already garnered interest from our coaches, and could play 3-4 DE for us to keep both Redding and Moala fresh.)

4th- SS Phillip Thomas, Fresno State (I really like this kid. I have a highlight here of him if you dont know much about him.

He is also a little older at 24 when the season starts, but plays big time and is big at 6-1, 215.)

5th(comp pick)- CB Darius Slay, Miss State (He was overshadowed by Johnthon Banks, but Slay is a pretty good man corner and is best suited there. He also has size at 6-1, 190. He can be coached up by Pagano.)

Approx. cap for draft picks : 5 mil

Total cap spent this year 37.5 mil

Amount left : Approx. 8.5 mil

What are your thoughts on my more in depth offseason for our Colts?

Just a few points.

Reitz is a guard and not a tackle. 

I don't think there is any way we'll sign a FA NT.

Bushrod is considered a top LT. There is no way any team is getting him for 5 mil. per season.

Nice effort.

There's one big red flag and a some smaller ones...

The biggest one is Sylvester Williams.   McShay has him as the 9th overall player, Kiper as the 25th.   Assume, for arguments sake, they're both wrong,   they're not wrong by two rounds!    He won't get past the top of the 2nd round.   Age 24 or not, the kid can flat out play and he had a very good week at the Senior Bowl.

I'm also not sure Warford will be at the top of the 3rd round as you hope.   He might be.   But it's possible he's played his way into the 2nd round as well.   This is the best class of guards the NFL has seen in quite some time.   This might be one of those "exception to the rule" type of classes.

As for the FA's you want the Colts to re-sign,  I think they'll cost more than you're expecting.   McAfee alone will likely cost $3 Mill per year.   We've also got roughly 17-20 FA's.  Even if we only sign the one's you want,  somebody has to replace the guys you don't want.   They need contracts.   Even if all get near the NFL minimum,  that costs money too.   Think roughly $500k per player.

As to the FA's you want to sign from other teams -- nice job.   But,  I think both Jenkins and Bushrod will get more.  I think Bushrod protects Brees' blindside.   Some team will offer him more than $5 Mill.   Even if he's a Right Tackle,  the good ones can get more than $ 5 Mill.

I think you're a bit optimistic...  but this is closer to reality than many of the Mocks I've seen here....       :thmup:

Nice effort.

There's one big red flag and a some smaller ones...

The biggest one is Sylvester Williams.   McShay has him as the 9th overall player, Kiper as the 25th.   Assume, for arguments sake, they're both wrong,   they're not wrong by two rounds!    He won't get past the top of the 2nd round.   Age 24 or not, the kid can flat out play and he had a very good week at the Senior Bowl.

I'm also not sure Warford will be at the top of the 3rd round as you hope.   He might be.   But it's possible he's played his way into the 2nd round as well.   This is the best class of guards the NFL has seen in quite some time.   This might be one of those "exception to the rule" type of classes.

As for the FA's you want the Colts to re-sign,  I think they'll cost more than you're expecting.   McAfee alone will likely cost $3 Mill per year.   We've also got roughly 17-20 FA's.  Even if we only sign the one's you want,  somebody has to replace the guys you don't want.   They need contracts.   Even if all get near the NFL minimum,  that costs money too.   Think roughly $500k per player.

As to the FA's you want to sign from other teams -- nice job.   But,  I think both Jenkins and Bushrod will get more.  I think Bushrod protects Brees' blindside.   Some team will offer him more than $5 Mill.   Even if he's a Right Tackle,  the good ones can get more than $ 5 Mill.

I think you're a bit optimistic...  but this is closer to reality than many of the Mocks I've seen here....       :thmup:

I agree, people are crazy if they believe we are only going to resign 5 or 6 of our own free agents. It will be at the very least 9-12 and will cost somewhere in the neighborhood of at least 10 mil. Like you said, even the one's we don't resign will have to be replaced by somebody so that'll be another couple million. 

I said in my above post that Bushrod will easily get well over 5 mil. per season. I'm thinking 8 million per season easily.

I agree, people are crazy if they believe we are only going to resign 5 or 6 of our own free agents. It will be at the very least 9-12 and will cost somewhere in the neighborhood of at least 10 mil. Like you said, even the one's we don't resign will have to be replaced by somebody so that'll be another couple million. 

I said in my above post that Bushrod will easily get well over 5 mil. per season. I'm thinking 8 million per season easily.

I wouldnt be shelling out that much for a RT then for us. Costanzo is continuing to improve, but just in case he had a hiccup at LT, thats why I had us signing Bushrod since he could play both RT and LT. On talent alone, I dont think Bushrod is worth 8 mil a year though plus he will be 29 when the season starts.

I wouldnt be shelling out that much for a RT then for us. Costanzo is continuing to improve, but just in case he had a hiccup at LT, thats why I had us signing Bushrod since he could play both RT and LT. On talent alone, I dont think Bushrod is worth 8 mil a year though plus he will be 29 when the season starts.

I agree with you that Castanzo is improving. I've been his biggest supporter here when so many want to throw him under the bus. I would love to have Bushrod and put him at RT, but I think he'll want to play LT so he can get LT money. Right now, Bushrod is probably in the top 5-6 LT's in the NFL and will be paid as such IMO.

Wouldn't it be interesting if Grigson is happy with Justice and simply decides to re-sign him as the starter?

We're all assuming (me included)  that he's a target for change.   And he very well may be.    But, maybe not.   It'll be interesting to see how this goes once mid-March arrives....

Wouldn't it be interesting if Grigson is happy with Justice and simply decides to re-sign him as the starter?

We're all assuming (me included)  that he's a target for change.   And he very well may be.    But, maybe not.   It'll be interesting to see how this goes once mid-March arrives....

Yep, I honestly don't think Justice was bad, but he was injury prone. I do think there is a possibility that Justice will be back....at least as a back up.

Yep, I honestly don't think Justice was bad, but he was injury prone. I do think there is a possibility that Justice will be back....at least as a back up.

Totally agree that Justice will be resigned as long as the cost isn't too steep. If the colts manage to steal a RT in the first round of the draft and feel he will start, either keep Justice as a back up or trade him away. Lots of teams looking for tackles with experience.