Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Finally a offense scheme that fits LUCK

Rian Huff

Ok. I was comparing Collie's and Whalen's measurables. As for Welker, I was comparing what you said about him being too slow, light, and short. I said good receivers have to start out somewhere. You really need to understand better if you think I said he was a star in the making. As for excuses about his production, he did nothing his 1st two years. He just lead Stanford in receiving this past year, even more than Fleener. I think he'd be decent on ST, like Palmer who was barely noticeable.

Then you should be comparing him to Palmer and not Welker or Collie. And please don't question my reading comprehension. My point the whole time is that if he does make the team it will have more to do with his ability to play ST than his role as a WR because he is competing with WRs who must play ST.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then you should be comparing him to Palmer and not Welker or Collie. And please don't question my reading comprehension. My point the whole time is that if he does make the team it will have more to do with his ability to play ST than his role as a WR because he is competing with WRs who must play ST.

I won't question your reading ability as long as you understand what I was trying to say.

And I agree to an extent, I believe he will be solid on ST. There's guys on our ST group that are slower than him... I don't see his speed as a problem.

Luck seems to think he and Pep will sit down and take the good from both offenses and form some kind of hybrid. I like Luck's plan more. Stanford was too conservative after Harbaugh left. Cost Luck the Fiesta Bowl.

Now that Luck had a taste of the Air Coryell, he won't want to give up on all of it.  I have seen interviews where Arians would tell Luck after a play, that there's times to take the deep shot, and that wasn't it.  he's got drags and crossing routes too. etc... so many trimes it was Luck looking deep and staying on it rather than taking checkdowns.  So unless every reciever in Peps offense is a checkdown, we may be seeing something similar, but a smaller scale.

Ben Roethlisberger had better stat/numbers and was vocally against his new OC and scheme.  Something about it I guess...

you do realize that under pep he ran out of the pocket more than RG3 did......just saying

Don't like WCO. Luck is very dangerous outside the pocket, why keep him there? Make him play in run heavy play action offense. Make him a run treat. Behind quality OL.

Now that Luck had a taste of the Air Coryell, he won't want to give up on all of it. I have seen interviews where Arians would tell Luck after a play, that there's times to take the deep shot, and that wasn't it. he's got drags and crossing routes too. etc... so many trimes it was Luck looking deep and staying on it rather than taking checkdowns. So unless every reciever in Peps offense is a checkdown, we may be seeing something similar, but a smaller scale.

Ben Roethlisberger had better stat/numbers and was vocally against his new OC and scheme. Something about it I guess...

LOL. I never thought about Luck getting trigger happy last yr. He was probably so happy to have deep threats and he just couldn't harness his excitement.

LOL. I never thought about Luck getting trigger happy last yr. He was probably so happy to have deep threats and he just couldn't harness his excitement.

Heh, after years at Stanford he got the fever of the long ball. I think he will still get them, just not trying to gun it 90% of the time. btw, sarcastic %

everyone should just calm down about the WC differences. Even though Hamiltons offense will have WC traits, Grigsons main offensive philosophy is speed, right? So it would only make sense no matter the Offenive Coordinator, we have a WR stable full of burners: Avery 4.27, Hilton 4.32, Palmer 4.30, Brazill 4.36, so obviously we would make adjustments to any given offense to compliment our speedsters. I think Hamiltons offense will have alot  of Arians in it. simply because our guys fit it well, we've already spent a year drafting for it, and our WR's already know how to run it. plus, Luck has a strong arm and can handle any throw. Grigson LOVES speed and he loves the Big Play, I dont think Grigson, Pagano, or Irsay will let Hamilton treat a Colts offense like a college team playing it safe. We have way too moch speed for that.

Every single one of those recievers were picked up because of Arians. Grigson drafted and picked up free agents that fit his system and he'll do the same with Hamilton.

Whalen is a Collie clone.

And Larry Horseman obviously didn't watch Griff last preseason, and I doubt he runs a 4.5.

In my opinion, the greatest small white boy possession WR of our time is Wes Welker.  Danny Amendola is a poor man's Wes Welker.  Griff Whalen in my eyes is a poor man's Danny Amendola...not sure what that makes him, but that is my professional assessment.

In my opinion, the greatest small white boy possession WR of our time is Wes Welker. Danny Amendola is a poor man's Wes Welker. Griff Whalen in my eyes is a poor man's Danny Amendola...not sure what that makes him, but that is my professional assessment.

Ill take Whalen.

Every single one of those recievers were picked up because of Arians. Grigson drafted and picked up free agents that fit his system and he'll do the same with Hamilton.

How do you know this? Maybe grigson picked Hilton and Brazill were excellent players.

Now that Luck had a taste of the Air Coryell, he won't want to give up on all of it. I have seen interviews where Arians would tell Luck after a play, that there's times to take the deep shot, and that wasn't it. he's got drags and crossing routes too. etc... so many trimes it was Luck looking deep and staying on it rather than taking checkdowns. So unless every reciever in Peps offense is a checkdown, we may be seeing something similar, but a smaller scale.

Ben Roethlisberger had better stat/numbers and was vocally against his new OC and scheme. Something about it I guess...

well in essence if you mix air coryell with the west coast offense... You then have Sean paytons new Orleans Saints off and personally i would love that, however we would really have to develop kelley to be that Colston you're threat.

well in essence if you mix air coryell with the west coast offense... You then have Sean paytons new Orleans Saints off and personally i would love that, however we would really have to develop kelley to be that Colston you're threat.

I would have loved that too. And I was even in favor of giving Joe Lombardi a chance to drive it.   Let's see what Pep, and Grigs, does this offseason/draft.  Then we may have more of a clue to what's in store at OTA's and training camp. 

How do you know this? Maybe grigson picked Hilton and Brazill were excellent players.

You really think he picked up the 4 fastest receivers available, though undersized, randomly and it had nothing to do with giving Arians the tools to push the ball down field like his system calls for? Stop arguing just to argue, it's pathetic.

Posted · Hidden by shecolt, February 6, 2013 - personal shot
Hidden by shecolt, February 6, 2013 - personal shot

You really think he picked up the 4 fastest receivers available, though undersized, randomly and it had nothing to do with giving Arians the tools to push the ball down field like his system calls for? Stop arguing just to argue, it's pathetic.

Way to be a jerk. U think iur going to find a 6'4 220 LB wide receiver who runs a 4.4 in the 3rd and 4th rounds? And guess what, all offensive systems want guys with speed.

Now u can go back to being a *.

U think iur going to find a 6'4 220 LB wide receiver who runs a 4.4 in the 3rd and 4th rounds? And guess what, all offensive systems want guys with speed.

Tommy Streeter 4.40 40, He is raw but only started 1 year in Miami, he has plenty of room to improve also, was taken in the 6th round, I had my eye on him late 

Tommy Streeter 4.40 40, He is raw but only started 1 year in Miami, he has plenty of room to improve also, was taken in the 6th round, I had my eye on him late 

There was a reason tommy Streeter fell to the 6th....he wasn't good. Was non existent most of his Miami career. Don't think he even got onto the field this year.

Posted · Hidden by shecolt, February 6, 2013 - response to removed post
Hidden by shecolt, February 6, 2013 - response to removed post

Way to be a jerk. U think iur going to find a 6'4 220 LB wide receiver who runs a 4.4 in the 3rd and 4th rounds? And guess what, all offensive systems want guys with speed.

Now u can go back to being a *.

If you think that Grigson picking up four guys that ran under a 4.4 and the team proceeding to throw the ball deep more than any other team in the league being nothing more than coincidence you're simply daft.
Posted · Hidden by Nadine, February 6, 2013 - quoted removed post
Hidden by Nadine, February 6, 2013 - quoted removed post

lol having really fast guys helps almost every OC playbook out, granted did it help with AB playbook with all his long throws yeah, but it helps every playbook out there, so stop acting like we only did it for AB and think he just did it for the team so it can be a fast pace passing team.  of course your just going to argue with me and say something to counter what im saying but go ahead.

If you think that Grigson picking up four guys that ran under a 4.4 and the team proceeding to throw the ball deep more than any other team in the league being nothing more than coincidence you're simply daft.

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, February 6, 2013 - personal argument/shots
Hidden by Nadine, February 6, 2013 - personal argument/shots

lol having really fast guys helps almost every OC playbook out, granted did it help with AB playbook with all his long throws yeah, but it helps every playbook out there, so stop acting like we only did it for AB and think he just did it for the team so it can be a fast pace passing team.  of course your just going to argue with me and say something to counter what im saying but go ahead.

If you think that Pep Hamilton wants the fastest but likely smallest WR core in the league then I don't know what to tell you guys. BA did want that and that's why they got him. Your job as a GM is to put a team together that is going to be most effective with the system that's in place. Much like when there's more of a focus on defense this year they will pick people that fit a 3-4, not a 4-3.

No, having multiple really fast guys who are all under 6' and 200 lbs. does not help every system. A system with a power running game that stresses blocking from the wideouts and features more short throws wants bigger, more physical receivers first and speed second. You can disagree all you want, but you're wrong.

Posted (edited) · Hidden by Nadine, February 6, 2013 - personal argument/shots

Of course he wants speed ....everybody does. If you go after one later in the draft guess what? They are going to be undersized. And even grigson admitted they expected Hilton to be more of a special teams ace than receiver.

Edited by shecolt
personal shot

Of course he wants speed ....everybody does. If you go after one later in the draft guess what? They are going to be undersized. And even grigson admitted they expected Hilton to be more of a special teams ace than receiver.

You guys are helpless. Of course everyone wants speed but everyone wants size too and there aren't exactly a big stable of Megatrons out there. So when you're drafting, especially in the later rounds, you have to sacrifice something. You can draft a fast guy who's undersized or you can get someone with a more prototypical body that doesn't have elite speed. BA preferred guys who had elite speed and was willing to sacrifice size because of his system. Grigson gave him what he needed to succeed in his offense and he'll start doing the same for Pep.

You guys are helpless. Of course everyone wants speed but everyone wants size too and there aren't exactly a big stable of Megatrons out there. So when you're drafting, especially in the later rounds, you have to sacrifice something. You can draft a fast guy who's undersized or you can get someone with a more prototypical body that doesn't have elite speed. BA preferred guys who had elite speed and was willing to sacrifice size because of his system. Grigson gave him what he needed to succeed in his offense and he'll start doing the same for Pep.

You act as though Hilton and co are only capable of playing in Arians system. Every receiver in the league runs the same route tree. It's not like forcing 3 tech DT to play a 34 DE. To say they were drafted strictly because of Arians is ridiculous....then again you think grigson drafted fleener due to his familiarity with Luck so I shouldn't be surprised.

Only person I'm worried about is.....

1. Reggie Wayne: Does he really feel like learning another offense? But I'm sure Reggie being the Man he is will suck it up & have a positive outlook on it

Ballard, Fleener, & Allen should be salivating at this NEW scheme because they'll be huge parts of the offense

Reggie will be the beneficiary of the new West Coast O.  Reggie is still "my man" but he has lost a step and the longer routes make it difficult for him to get separation.  In the WO Reggie will shine.  Two TE's and the new 6'6"  WR, add Reggie and it will be a defenses' nightmare.  Next season can't come soon enough. :number1: