Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dw49

Big Daddy Liscomb

14 posts in this topic

IND_The Catch_728x90

I vividly remember when the Colts traded "Big Daddy" as well as when he died. My older brother and I were stunned.

1 person likes this

I  have seen highlites of him.  Was a monster DT in his time.

I remember watching him on the official history of the Colts DVD my uncle got me.

He was huge, bigger than any lineman at that time, which his size now is still impressive.

He was the anchor of probably one of the best defenses the Colts ever had.

Great story!  Thanks for sharing that. I love reading about the great Colts of the 50s and 60s.   That is the most I ever read about Big Daddy.   I think too often people act as if the Colts came to be when Peyton Manning was drafted or when the team moved to Indy, so it is nice to give them more material to read about great Colts.

1 person likes this

Great story!  Thanks for sharing that. I love reading about the great Colts of the 50s and 60s.   That is the most I ever read about Big Daddy.   I think too often people act as if the Colts came to be when Peyton Manning was drafted or when the team moved to Indy, so it is nice to give them more material to read about great Colts.

Amazing era in Colt history. We had , or Baltimore had , 3-4 players that probably were pretty much "freaks of nature" (2 of them anyway) and were considered by most to be the best ever at the position. That being Parker , Unitas , Berry and I would include Liscomb . Parker and Liscomb were just so physically superior to the competitin , whie Berry and Unitas were ... well.. Berry and Unitas. 

Thanks for reading the rather long story but I thought it was a humerous , amazing , insightful story. Glad at least one guy was interested enough to read it. I too love to read about the guys I watched years back. I was doing a little research for Bert Jones stuff and found that even though he was probably my favorite Colt , I really didn't realize that injuries just played so much havoc with his career. I knew about the shoulder issue but it seems like the poor guy was only really healthy a few years. Plus I found that he was always at odds with the * Tiger Irsay. That led to the trade to the Rams. Here were a couple excerts on Jones...

The widely respected scout Ernie Accorsi is quoted as saying that if Bert Jones had played under different circumstances, he probably would have been the greatest player ever. John Riggins has been quoted as saying Bert was the toughest competitor he has ever witnessed. On the eve of Super Bowl XLII New England Patriots head coach Bill Belichick, in discussing his choices for the greatest quarterbacks of all time, described Jones as the best "pure passer" he ever saw.[3]

1 person likes this

I vividly remember when the Colts traded "Big Daddy" as well as when he died. My older brother and I were stunned.

Not sure if you had the inerest or time to read the story. If not ...he was traded because the Colts could no longer put up with him drinking and fornicating with women all night long. Story told of how they would buy Big Daddy a bottle of whiskey while the other guys on the team would have a couple of drinks. How this guy was able to play football at even an "acceptable" level with all he had going on is beyond belief. He was a total degenerate in his last two years with Pitt and made an all pro team in his last year. 

Amazing era in Colt history. We had , or Baltimore had , 3-4 players that probably were pretty much "freaks of nature" (2 of them anyway) and were considered by most to be the best ever at the position. That being Parker , Unitas , Berry and I would include Liscomb . Parker and Liscomb were just so physically superior to the competitin , whie Berry and Unitas were ... well.. Berry and Unitas. 

Thanks for reading the rather long story but I thought it was a humerous , amazing , insightful story. Glad at least one guy was interested enough to read it. I too love to read about the guys I watched years back. I was doing a little research for Bert Jones stuff and found that even though he was probably my favorite Colt , I really didn't realize that injuries just played so much havoc with his career. I knew about the shoulder issue but it seems like the poor guy was only really healthy a few years. Plus I found that he was always at odds with the * Tiger Irsay. That led to the trade to the Rams. Here were a couple excerts on Jones...

The widely respected scout Ernie Accorsi is quoted as saying that if Bert Jones had played under different circumstances, he probably would have been the greatest player ever. John Riggins has been quoted as saying Bert was the toughest competitor he has ever witnessed. On the eve of Super Bowl XLII New England Patriots head coach Bill Belichick, in discussing his choices for the greatest quarterbacks of all time, described Jones as the best "pure passer" he ever saw.[3]

I am a COLT fan.  I as originally a Baltimore Colt fan, and now and Indy Colt fan.  I get annoyed when people act like the Baltimore Colts are a different team.  The first time I saw the Colts, Bert Jones was the QB.  If you look at what he did in 1976, that was one of the great passing seasons if you take it in the context of the 70s where completion percentage weren't high.  I remember Bert being hurt a lot, so Greg Landry, Bill Troup, and Mike Kirkland got to play some.  It is unfortunate that version of the Colts seem to be overlooked.   Joyce, Donavon, Lipscomb, and Marchetti were great.  But Dutton, Cook, Barnes, and Ehrmann were pretty darn good too.  Dutton and Cook were dominate. They didn't keep sack stats them but Fred Cook was like Richard Dent.

I am always up to reading about great Colts.  That was a very good story and I appreciate you posting it.  Good choice with Bert Jones being you favorite player.  It almost seems unfair that one franchise can say they have had John Unitas, Bert Jones, Peyton Manning, and now Andrew Luck at QB.  I cannot think of another NFL that can boast QBs of that level.

I am a COLT fan.  I as originally a Baltimore Colt fan, and now and Indy Colt fan.  I get annoyed when people act like the Baltimore Colts are a different team.  The first time I saw the Colts, Bert Jones was the QB.  If you look at what he did in 1976, that was one of the great passing seasons if you take it in the context of the 70s where completion percentage weren't high.  I remember Bert being hurt a lot, so Greg Landry, Bill Troup, and Mike Kirkland got to play some.  It is unfortunate that version of the Colts seem to be overlooked.   Joyce, Donavon, Lipscomb, and Marchetti were great.  But Dutton, Cook, Barnes, and Ehrmann were pretty darn good too.  Dutton and Cook were dominate. They didn't keep sack stats them but Fred Cook was like Richard Dent.

I am always up to reading about great Colts.  That was a very good story and I appreciate you posting it.  Good choice with Bert Jones being you favorite player.  It almost seems unfair that one franchise can say they have had John Unitas, Bert Jones, Peyton Manning, and now Andrew Luck at QB.  I cannot think of another NFL that can boast QBs of that level.

Speaking of Joe Ehrmann , when I was a junior in high school , I was at a military school. I was a seargent (squad leader) that year and Joe E was in my squad . He lived about 3 doors down the hall. Really nice guy . He was doing a year of post grad at Manluis School and would start at Syracuse the following year. We had a great football team , that would play freshman college teams. Those days colleges had freshman teams. Either that yearor the one before or after , I'm too lazy to look up , I lived right next to John Brockington. He was supposed to attend Syracuse also but Wooody Hayes snuck him out mid year and he went to Ohio State. I believe Brockington (Green Bay) was the first ever RB to gain 1000 yards in his 1st 3 years. 

Not sure if you had the inerest or time to read the story. If not ...he was traded because the Colts could no longer put up with him drinking and fornicating with women all night long. Story told of how they would buy Big Daddy a bottle of whiskey while the other guys on the team would have a couple of drinks. How this guy was able to play football at even an "acceptable" level with all he had going on is beyond belief. He was a total degenerate in his last two years with Pitt and made an all pro team in his last year. 

LOL!  There isn't much that has been written about 'Big Daddy' that I haven't read. I was stunned as a boy,,,,not anymore.  :)

Bert is my alltime "favorite Colt" as well. Damn those Steelers and Raiders in '75, '76, and '77.

Bert is my alltime "favorite Colt" as well. Damn those Steelers and Raiders in '75, '76, and '77.

If this forum is going to automatic edit, it could at least capitalize "darn."  :)

LOL!  There isn't much that has been written about 'Big Daddy' that I haven't read. I was stunned as a boy,,,,not anymore.  

Did you know they had to order him a special made oversize jock ?

1 person likes this

Did you know they had to order him a special made oversize jock ?

No, I sure didn't!!!  :)