Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Victor Cruz ? thoughts

ThorstenDenmark

Cruz is overrated imo. Can't believe he had the audacity to say he was better than Julio Jones & Roddy White. Cruz makes all his plays in the Slot. I just don't see him beating #1 CB's like Peterson, Revis, Etc. We don't need a Slot WR. But hey, that's just my opinion

The Giants have him under lock and key

Not sure why you say that.  They can franchise him, but is he really worth that kind of money?  He's talked about holding out.

I think they'll end up signing him, he loves being in the NYC spotlight.  He probably isn't going to get any soup commercials playing for the Colts.

Not sure why you say that.  They can franchise him, but is he really worth that kind of money?  He's talked about holding out.

I think they'll end up signing him, he loves being in the NYC spotlight.  He probably isn't going to get any soup commercials playing for the Colts.

They won't franchise him, but the front office seems to be downplaying how important Cruz is to the NY Giants. They going to meet Victor Cruz somewhere just shy of what he's asking even though they're pretending they would be fine if he walked.

They know Cruz is a good egg who doesn't divide locker rooms, is of good character, is a gifted athlete and has star power, but are trying to down play it. He's also a fan favorite! They want him to remain a Giant!

They don't have to franchise him; they can give him an RFA tender for less than $3M.

What is all the WR via FA talk? I understand that Reggie is winding down, but I would still rather find his replacement in the draft so we can have him on the cheap for four years. I know the draft is a crap-shoot, but I just don't see us investing the money is a big name FA WR. I am sure Reggie would be thrilled to be making considerably less than the guy opposite of him (who Reggie will probably out-perform).

Not knocking the OP, but WR seems to be on everyone's FA wish list. (at least Wallace (blah), Bowe (semi-blah), and now Cruz (would have rather kept Garcon for the money).

Here we are again asking for wr's.. 1. He's obviously asking for too much from the giants which is why he hasn't gotten a new contract. 2. He's just a speed receiver and I believe we have um Hilton/Brazil/possibly palmer (hopefully not avery) but yeah we have talented players that can do what he does 3. We need an OLINE should be the main concern not these irrelevant threads on big name wr's. >:|

Really.......it seems like every free agent that is coming up there has to be a thread started. I can count on less than one hand over the last 12 years how many big time free agents that the Colts have gone after regardless if we have cash to spend or not. I'm guessing this year will not be any different. I mean there was actually a thread here wondering how Tebow might fit in with the Colts, give me a break.

In the Past, after signing their own, the Colts have Always had to let some FA`s Leave because they had no Money.

Why can`t some get it that we have $$$ coming out of our ears to FIRST Address our O-Line and still add quite a few more FA`s to fill our needs.

Did any of you watch Reggie lope down the field, Rarely making sharp cuts to get open, NEVER outrunning anyone Deep, mostly just floating into deeper open holes in the zones making lots of difficult catches then getting hammered.

There were 88 incomplete passes thrown his way. Love Reggie, but how well will he get open in a quicker/shorter passing game?

OK at best, yes he will still have GREAT hands but lol.

T.Y. will be good, and we can hope he has a healthy year. Who feels GOOD having Brazzil, Palmer, Maybe Whalen as your other three WR`s? Oh yay, or the Big Guy? They might be Good enough.

NO WAY would I pay more than 5-6 Mill for a really good Vet WR, but I would be looking around for the right Veteran guy.

Our Smurfs can`t reach many of Lucks High throws and develope Short-Arms when they see contact coming. JMO

In the Past, after signing their own, the Colts have Always had to let some FA`s Leave because they had no Money.

Why can`t some get it that we have $$$ coming out of our ears to FIRST Address our O-Line and still add quite a few more FA`s to fill our needs.

Did any of you watch Reggie lope down the field, Rarely making sharp cuts to get open, NEVER outrunning anyone Deep, mostly just floating into deeper open holes in the zones making lots of difficult catches then getting hammered.

There were 88 incomplete passes thrown his way. Love Reggie, but how well will he get open in a quicker/shorter passing game?

OK at best, yes he will still have GREAT hands but lol.

T.Y. will be good, and we can hope he has a healthy year. Who feels GOOD having Brazzil, Palmer, Maybe Whalen as your other three WR`s? Oh yay, or the Big Guy? They might be Good enough.

NO WAY would I pay more than 5-6 Mill for a really good Vet WR, but I would be looking around for the right Veteran guy.

Our Smurfs can`t reach many of Lucks High throws and develope Short-Arms when they see contact coming. JMO

We do have a good amount of space, but some things to consider:

1. We have to re-sign our own FAs

2. The rookie class will probably take 4-5 million

3. Signing big names will eat that money up really quickly

4. 5-6 million is not going to get any of the WRs the threads in question are about (Wallace, Bowe, Cruz.....that didn't even get Garcon)

I just don't see how signing a Devery Henderson level WR is a good investment when that talent can be found in the middle rounds of the draft. I gather from your short arms comment you are probably a Bowe fan......not happening at that 5-6 million.

Really.......it seems like every free agent that is coming up there has to be a thread started. I can count on less than one hand over the last 12 years how many big time free agents that the Colts have gone after regardless if we have cash to spend or not. I'm guessing this year will not be any different. I mean there was actually a thread here wondering how Tebow might fit in with the Colts, give me a break.

But in the past 12 years we didnt have as an agressive gm,or were required by cba to spend said amount. I'm not saying i'm for Cruz sure he would be a nice little upgrade but if we upgrade the o-line and Luck has more time to throw he can make wonders happen with maybe a little less talent.And also if we upgrade the defense maybe not so much scoring will be on offense shoulders.

I agree we dont really need a FA WR, but we are getting like 1 new thread a day, and they are just as innocuous. There is not much to discuss at the moment, but if you post a really interesting new thread, then we can all have a really good discussion.

The stage is all yours sir.....

O-line 1st priority... I know alot of you don't think so by the wanting other players than what the Colts actually need and want the thrill of the explosive offense but those players would be a waste if Andrew Luck is on his back the ball swatted out of his hand or running for his life, 9ers have one of the best O-line and one reason they spent 3 1st round picks on new O-line guys and that should be the priority with the Colts...

I do believe the Colts need to look at their WR situation and make a few switches this offseason. (Such as letting Avery go. I believe we need dependable WR's who can help Andrews confidence throughout a game.)

But Cruz is not the answer....

Again if we go get a guy it shouldn't be another version of two second year guys we already have on the roster. Cruz is much like a Hilton or brazil. If we go get someone go get a taller guy or possible future replacement for Reggie. Another small burner means someone isn't going to see playing time much like how Brazils reps were limited last year.

No way    :banana:  Let Dancing with the Stars have him .

FA will be needs .   Can he dance over to the offensive line &  create holes or pass protect ? 

With a 54 % passing rating & receivers dropping balls at a alarming rate , Donnie " hands of stone " Avery comes to mind but to be fair he was not alone  , Which may warrant a replacement  -TBD , Maybe Reggie Wayne needs to hold off season work outs for all Colts receivers . :huthut:  IMO  to spend on a WR  instead of protecting the franchise , Would be dereliction of duty bye the Exec of the year .

O - line .  D-line.   Secondary . Fix these   In the meanwhile the receivers must do a better job of hanging on to the ball . Best available in the draft may bring a WR that Ryan Grigson just can't pass on .

If the price is right & it fills a need its all good ..   :colts:

If we sign a free agent WR from the Giants, I think it might be Ramses Barden. He will come cheap and has a few yrs. of experience. He is also 6'7" 230lbs. He could be the perfect pickup with great size and a reasonable contract. He is the only free agent WR I hope the Colts show interest in(If they show interest in any at all).

I must admit, I am really surprised at the number of folks suggesting on this board from time to time that we are in need of veteran receivers that blow out the bank. As soon as Luck really gets up to speed in the off-season with our two new Marvin Harrisons (Hilton and Brazil) - and they both get rid of the rookie "dropsies" (which they will) - along with Reggie and the tight ends I think we are stacked. Haven't even mentioned the brut of a WR just signed and the interesting corps of talented and speedy back ups waiting in the wings. It's all about route running and learning (like Reggie has) how to get open.

Not sure Avery makes the cut - his dropsies were way too frequent for a more or less veteran player. 

Save the money. Put it into Offensive Line and on the Defensive side of the ball.  Get that Pagano D up to Ravens standards so we can be sitting where they are next year.

Comment as you see fit....

ColtsHappy 

I must admit, I am really surprised at the number of folks suggesting on this board from time to time that we are in need of veteran receivers that blow out the bank. As soon as Luck really gets up to speed in the off-season with our two new Marvin Harrisons (Hilton and Brazil) - and they both get rid of the rookie "dropsies" (which they will) - along with Reggie and the tight ends I think we are stacked. Haven't even mentioned the brut of a WR just signed and the interesting corps of talented and speedy back ups waiting in the wings. It's all about route running and learning (like Reggie has) how to get open.

Not sure Avery makes the cut - his dropsies were way too frequent for a more or less veteran player. 

Save the money. Put it into Offensive Line and on the Defensive side of the ball.  Get that Pagano D up to Ravens standards so we can be sitting where they are next year.

Comment as you see fit....

ColtsHappy 

I agree completely. I don't think we'll go after another WR, but if we did it will be a much cheaper option than what many here want(I already mentioned Ramses Barden in another post). There is no way we'll go after one of the very pricey WR's people keep making thread after thread about. It just will not happen, but that certainly won't stop another 300 or 400 threads about signing one of them before free agency starts.

I do believe the Colts need to look at their WR situation and make a few switches this offseason. (Such as letting Avery go. I believe we need dependable WR's who can help Andrews confidence throughout a game.)

But Cruz is not the answer....

Avery had 7 drops the whole season, thats not many, for comparison sake Hilton had 6 and Wayne had 10 neither are that many once you see how many balls were thrown at them

Wayne-195 targets 10 drops (19.5 drop percentage)

Hilton-90 Targets 6 drops (15 percent drop percentage)

Avery-124 targets catch percentage 7 drops (17.7 drop percentage) 

For comparison Calvin Johnson was targeted 204 times and had 11 drops (18.5 percent dropped)

Avery had 7 drops the whole season, thats not many, for comparison sake Hilton had 6 and Wayne had 10 neither are that many once you see how many balls were thrown at them

For comparison Calvin Johnson was targeted 204 times and had 11 drops (18.5 percent dropped)

It's amazing what happens when you confront people with facts. I still think Avery very well could be resigned and I'd be fine with that. People have a delusional memory of players they don't really like to begin with.

No on the salsa dancer.

I like the guy and his story about how he made it on the preseason squad for the Giants.

Kinda reminds me of Garcon with his big play ability and speed.

If I was Grigson, I would pass on Cruz because we have too many holes everywhere else while WR is a place where I think we are stable at right now.

I wish folks would be throwing out names of O line guards we could get, either FA or draft.  A new WR won't help our running game very much, while decent O linemen could help both the run and pass game.  Another decent corner to compliment Davis (any decent one's in draft that may fall to us?), and shore up depth in spots where an injury puts us in a bind.  Time for me to see if the NFL draft section threads are cranking yet...

I'm not sure how you are figuring this. I see different target/drop numbers from profootballfocus. Also drop rate is figured on catchable balls not targets. Avery and TY both had drop rates over 16. They had the top two worst rates in the league for WRs with at leat 40 catchable balls. In comparison, Calvin's was just over 10.