Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How Much Do We Really Have in Cap Space For FAs?

Smonroe

I know we have a little over $40M on the books.  Let's say we sign McAfee, Butler, Fokou and maybe one or two more of our own FAs.  Take a stab at that amount.

Then, let's subtract the Rookie contracts.  Those are pretty much defined and we can probably count on at least 4 or 5 rookies making the team.

Then let's be conservative and say we only spend 90% of that amount.

Anyone have a guess at that number?  Come on Madden GMs, help me out.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

90% of the money we have to spend is right at 34 million dollars. I think the guys we will resign will cost in the neighborhood of 10 million and the rookies will account for 4-5 million. So that would leave about 19-20 million to spend. This is exactly why I keep harping over and over that we will not sign the big name FA WR that people keeping clamoring about. No way we spend 10 million a yr. for a WR when we need so many other positions filled first.

90% of the money we have to spend is right at 34 million dollars. I think the guys we will resign will cost in the neighborhood of 10 million and the rookies will account for 4-5 million. So that would leave about 19-20 million to spend. This is exactly why I keep harping over and over that we will not sign the big name FA WR that people keeping clamoring about. No way we spend 10 million a yr. for a WR when we need so many other positions filled first.

Yeah, that talk about signing Boldin or Bowe is fantasy stuff. Grigs is too smart for that. He's already on record saying he's not going to break the bank for any one player unless everyone agrees they absolutely need him. No WR fits that definition.

I don't expect him to go after Long either. But for $20m he can pick up at least 4 really solid players. Or he could get Kruger for around $8m and then get two decent OGs.

That 46 million seems a big number to many, but when you realize we must sign some of our own FA's, and sign our draft picks, then save room for signing players as other move to I.R. etc... then the number left for outside FA signings just doesn't appear so large anymore.  We do need to improve the team, but it is prudent to look to protecting the QB first, then improve other areas of weakness on D.  I think we have enough horses on O to get us to 2014, if we get decent O line and improve our defensive secondary.  I hope Chapman pans out at NT.  I really want to see us more capable of physicality in the trenches this year. Especially O line with Pep as O.C.

More than likely we will have enough to fill a lot of holes with.

I anticipate signing some offensive lineman, and maybe a 3-4 DE.

I don't see us picking a WR because why waste it on a receiver who will be over the hill soon anyway and we have a good young core of WRs behind Wayne. 

I see Grigson going defense in the draft this year, probably a CB or SS in the first, OLBs and DL in the later rounds. 

From my gathering of info, it looks as though Grigson is going to see how Chapman will do in the NT spot so I don't anticipate any signings there even though we need help at that position.

Hi my name is nick im new to this forum and i just wanted to comment on this topic.  From what i read we have 46 million in cap space, yes we have to sign some of our free agents, but when pat mcaffe is your top colts free agent thats a good thing, other than him its impossible to say right now who were gonna keep but our free agents will be very cheap.  Also due to the new cba teams have to spend at least 90% of your cap and jim irsay past has shown us he will spend every dollar.  With the draft i think grigson drafts on talent rather than need so i dont think its accurate to say he will go in this draft picking defenders.  Also due to the succesful season we had our draft picks will be low which will make them very inexpensive due to the new cba rules.

The Colts Cap space number is widely reported as $46 Million.

90% of $46M = $41.4 Million

We are in Great shape to Invest in a few Long Term FA Contracts, and have good reason to Invest in some contracts of 3 years or less to Maximize our ability to resign this years draft class.

One reason for example why adding a High Quality older Veteran or two at a Higher price on a 1-2 year contract could make sense.

Hi my name is nick im new to this forum and i just wanted to comment on this topic.  From what i read we have 46 million in cap space, yes we have to sign some of our free agents, but when pat mcaffe is your top colts free agent thats a good thing, other than him its impossible to say right now who were gonna keep but our free agents will be very cheap.  Also due to the new cba teams have to spend at least 90% of your cap and jim irsay past has shown us he will spend every dollar.  With the draft i think grigson drafts on talent rather than need so i dont think its accurate to say he will go in this draft picking defenders.  Also due to the succesful season we had our draft picks will be low which will make them very inexpensive due to the new cba rules.

Welcome Nick! One thing we haven't talked about is that GMs don't look at cap space in one year increments. They have to plan for several years ahead. So we may not spend all of the money this year in anticipation of FAs contracts in future years.

I agree that Grigs is going to draft the BPA, but only in any position of need. Obviously, he's not going to use a high pick on a QB, probably not a WR, TE or RB either. But just about every other position is possible IMO.

The Colts Cap space number is widely reported as $46 Million.

90% of $46M = $41.4 Million

We are in Great shape to Invest in a few Long Term FA Contracts, and have good reason to Invest in some contracts of 3 years or less to Maximize our ability to resign this years draft class.

One reason for example why adding a High Quality older Veteran or two at a Higher price on a 1-2 year contract could make sense.

It is 90% of the entire cap, not 90% of what we have available.

Cap = 120 million. We are 46 million under = 74 million.

90% of cap = 108 million. 108 million - 74 million = 34 million if going by the OP's idea of spending 90%.

The 46 mill is a tremendous amount of cap space. I belive we have something like 58 players under contract which is considered a very high number. Plus we have no "expensive " free agent s of our own to sign. The Bengles listed as one of the 2 teams with more cap room on the otherhand have guys like RT Andre Smith , CB Adam Jones , DE's Michael Johnson and Robert Gathers and LB Ray Maualga. Hugely different. Bottom line is we have a bunch of money to spend

It is 90% of the entire cap, not 90% of what we have available.

Cap = 120 million. We are 46 million under = 74 million.

90% of cap = 108 million. 108 million - 74 million = 34 million if going by the OP's idea of spending 90%.

Im pretty sure BBS has this one right

Welcome Nick! One thing we haven't talked about is that GMs don't look at cap space in one year increments. They have to plan for several years ahead. So we may not spend all of the money this year in anticipation of FAs contracts in future years.

I agree that Grigs is going to draft the BPA, but only in any position of need. Obviously, he's not going to use a high pick on a QB, probably not a WR, TE or RB either. But just about every other position is possible IMO.

Well thank you for the welcome and your right gms dont look at it in one year increments but i would disagree about the position of need, if you look at last year for example alot of us thought due to the 3-4 alignment we would go heavy on the defensive side, especially in the third round.  But grigs took dwayne even though he just took coby, alot of us freaked out about it but it was the right move especially now with pep hamilton who will use tight ends alot.  I think grigson looks at the board and talent is the determining factor but if there are 2 players who are close in talent he will side with the one who is a need just my opinion.

Im pretty sure BBS has this one right

Well that would make you both wrong. We have to spend at least 89% of the cap per new CBA rules. OP said 90%, so thats where my numbers come from and they are correct.

Smonroe would need to confirm whether he meant 90% of what we have available or 90% of the entire cap.

also teams have to spend the majority of there cap because of the rules not all of it but most of it and irsay is a aggressive owner .  Man i cant wait for free agency and the draft lol  

Well that would make you both wrong. We have to spend at least 89% of the cap per new CBA rules. OP said 90%, so thats where my numbers come from and they are correct.

Smonroe would need to confirm whether he meant 90% of what we have available or 90% of the entire cap.

89 yes but of the 46 million we will have I believe, thats what I mean, I believe we will end up with around 5 million and some dollars left. Something like 5,168,539,326.00

89 yes but of the 46 million we will have I believe, thats what I mean, I believe we will end up with around 5 million and some dollars left. Something like 5,168,53932.60$

If that is what Smonroe meant, then yes, that would be correct. I took it as him meaning spending 90% of the cap. I think we'll spend about 94% of the cap or about 113 million, leaving us 7 million for in season transactions(just in case money). If I turn out to be correct, that'll mean we'll spend about 39 million this offseason. 

If that is what Smonroe meant, then yes, that would be correct. I took it as him meaning spending 90% of the cap. I think we'll spend about 94% of the cap or about 113 million, leaving us 7 million for in season transactions(just in case money). If I turn out to be correct, that'll mean we'll spend about 39 million this offseason. 

This is why I stay away from math if I can help it lol

No, I'm looking to the board to correct me. By no means am I an expert on capology. That's why I started this thread, I wanted to get a realistic view of what we can expect the team to spend.

Great job!

Im gonna make a plan then using that 39 million number on what I would do

If that is what Smonroe meant, then yes, that would be correct. I took it as him meaning spending 90% of the cap. I think we'll spend about 94% of the cap or about 113 million, leaving us 7 million for in season transactions(just in case money). If I turn out to be correct, that'll mean we'll spend about 39 million this offseason

How much of that 39M do you figure we'll peel out for rookies and re-signing our own guys Balzer? Maybe 10-15M?

Im gonna make a plan then using that 39 million number on what I would do

It's still hard to predict because by my count, I could easily see at least 8 of our own free agents being resigned. Depending on the contracts they could get, it will change what our available funds will be for other free agents. I can easily see these guys being resigned...

Pat Mcafee

Donny Avery

Darius Butler

Moise Fokou

Fili Moala

Antonio Johnson

Cassius Vaughn 

Jeff Linkenbach

A couple of those are arguable but nonetheless, realistic.

How much of that 39M do you figure we'll peel out for rookies and re-signing our own guys Balzer? Maybe 10-15M?

That would be a good guess. Like I said in my post above this one. Its hard to determine exactly who the team will think will be worth bringing back and how much they are willing to pay them. From the guys I listed, none of them are guys that should demand much over the vet minimum IMO, with the exception of McAfee. Rookie's should be very cheap with our picking spot and since we don't have a 2nd rder..

That would be a good guess. Like I said in my post above this one. Its hard to determine exactly who the team will think will be worth bringing back and how much they are willing to pay them. From the guys I listed, none of them are guys that should demand much over the vet minimum IMO, with the exception of McAfee. Rookie's should be very cheap with our picking spot and since we don't have a 2nd rder..

We may need to extend Vontea since he's a FA after his year, probably not going to be cheap. I don't think we'll re-sign Avery, he can get more than vet min elsewhere.

Grigs has shown that if can upgrade, even a little bit, he'll do it. So I'm not sure about the last four on your list, even at vet min, but Link has proven to be versatile.

I'm really looking forward to the start of free agency!

We may need to extend Vontea since he's a FA after his year, probably not going to be cheap. I don't think we'll re-sign Avery, he can get more than vet min elsewhere.

Grigs has shown that if can upgrade, even a little bit, he'll do it. So I'm not sure about the last four on your list, even at vet min, but Link has proven to be versatile.

I'm really looking forward to the start of free agency!

Very well could be right about Avery, although Grigson might see it as a priority to keep a core WR group together for Luck and that is my only reasoning for bringing him back. I think Moala will be kept for nothing more than he isn't bad as a 3-4 DE and we don't really have any better options than him already on the roster to pair with Redding. He will make a decent backup at least. As for Vaughn and AJ, I think Vaughn can be a decent depth signing and AJ can play backup NT(to Chapman) or DE(If necessary). We can't upgrade all these positions, so bringing back some guys that are at least decent backups and familiar with the system isn't a bad option.

I think in all honesty guys like moise foku vaughn avery were just stop gap guys .  With us going to a west coast offense the wr that play in that offense are typically bigger and stronger.  Avery fits more what arians likes to do.  With a healthy angerer conner and freeman and the colts being interested in arthur brown you can let a guy like foku walk. With vaughn its a good year to let him go considering carrie williams sean smith brent grimes drc being free agents and you can probably get one of those guys around 5 to 6 million.  I dont think the colts will make huge splashes in fa but i think they will pick up guys vasquez from sandiego or andy levitre from buffalo at corner preferably carrie williams from baltimore and maybe paul kruger.  The biggest need of improvement is our lines and the secondary.

I'm ball parking about $24 Mill to be spent on FA, and about $16 Mill or so to spend on resigning our own players and rookies.

I think the game that some fans here are playing that muddies things a bit and makes it more confusing is this....

The think if the Colts re-sign fewer of their own players that leaves more money to sign FA's from other teams.

The problem with that is even if you don't re-sign guys from the Colts roster,  you have to have SOMEBODY to fill that spot, to help round-out the roster.    I think some here are doing just that.   Trying to re-sign fewer Colts' free agents to have more money to spend.

It doesn't quite work that way.....    (Hope that made some sense?)

I'm ball parking about $24 Mill to be spent on FA, and about $16 Mill or so to spend on resigning our own players and rookies.

way to much on our free agents they will not be that expensive and were probably not gonna sign most of them do you think guys like linkenbach buter moala are going to be anything more than one year deals i dont i could be wrong im really looking forward to this offseason

I think in all honesty guys like moise foku vaughn avery were just stop gap guys .  With us going to a west coast offense the wr that play in that offense are typically bigger and stronger.  Avery fits more what arians likes to do.  With a healthy angerer conner and freeman and the colts being interested in arthur brown you can let a guy like foku walk. With vaughn its a good year to let him go considering carrie williams sean smith brent grimes drc being free agents and you can probably get one of those guys around 5 to 6 million.  I dont think the colts will make huge splashes in fa but i think they will pick up guys vasquez from sandiego or andy levitre from buffalo at corner preferably carrie williams from baltimore and maybe paul kruger.  The biggest need of improvement is our lines and the secondary.

I just have a feeling that Vasquez and Cary Williams are going to be 2 of our primary targets. Some don't think San Diego will let Vasquez get away, but I'm not sure they will be able to keep him no matter how hard they may try. San Diego only has 8.7 million available to spend on FA's. They have 21 of their own FA's, including 3 CB's, 3 LBers, and they have 4 OG's on their roster that are free agents. I don't see how they can possibly make a better offer than us. They are in pretty bad shape cap wise.

Here's how I understand the spending requirements. Per the CBA, clubs have to spend 89% of their cap over a period of 4 years, not 89% per year. In theory the Colts do not have to spend 89% this year but by the end of 2016 do have to spend 89% of the total cap from each of those four years (e.g., if the cap is $121 million each of the four years, equaling $484 million, then the Colts have to spend $431 million over the four year period).

Here's the language from the CBA:

Section 9. Minimum Team Cash Spending:
(a) For each of the following four-League Year periods, 2013–2016 and 2017–2020, there shall be a guaranteed Minimum Team Cash Spending of 89% of the Salary Caps for such periods (e.g., if the Salary Caps for the 2013–16 and 2017–2020 are $100, 120, 130, and 150 million, respectively, each Club shall have a Minimum Team Cash Spending for that period of $445 million (89% of $500 million)).

Assuming they want to spend only 89% this year, that would be $107 million, resulting in spending $32 million of open salary cap space. the math goes like this: $121 2013 total cap - $46 of 2013 cap space = $75 of 2013 that will be spent on signed players/guarantees/etc.; $107 (89% of 2013 cap) - $75 million of spent cap = $32 million to spend on rookies and FAs at 89% of cap.

Rookies typically cost between $5-8 million, meaning they will spend about $25 million on FAs if they keep it at 89%.

Now, I actually think the Colts will spend over the 89% because Jimmy isn't affraid to spend cash, so all this confusing non-sense is probably not even relevant.

way to much on our free agents they will not be that expensive and were probably not gonna sign most of them do you think guys like linkenbach buter moala are going to be anything more than one year deals i dont i could be wrong im really looking forward to this offseason

May I introduce you to punctuation?    It is your friend! 

This is a period .     This is a comma ,

Please re-read the rest of my post.    I think it explains my view.   And yes,  some of the players you mentioned WILL get more than one year.    That's my belief.

Here's how I understand the spending requirements. Per the CBA, clubs have to spend 89% of their cap over a period of 4 years, not 89% per year. In theory the Colts do not have to spend 89% this year but by the end of 2016 do have to spend 89% of the total cap from each of those four years (e.g., if the cap is $121 million each of the four years, equaling $484 million, then the Colts have to spend $431 million over the four year period).

Here's the language from the CBA:

Section 9. Minimum Team Cash Spending:

(a) For each of the following four-League Year periods, 2013–2016 and 2017–2020, there shall be a guaranteed Minimum Team Cash Spending of 89% of the Salary Caps for such periods (e.g., if the Salary Caps for the 2013–16 and 2017–2020 are $100, 120, 130, and 150 million, respectively, each Club shall have a Minimum Team Cash Spending for that period of $445 million (89% of $500 million)).

Assuming they want to spend only 89% this year, that would be $107 million, resulting in spending $32 million of open salary cap space. the math goes like this: $121 2013 total cap - $46 of 2013 cap space = $75 of 2013 that will be spent on signed players/guarantees/etc.; $107 (89% of 2013 cap) - $75 million of spent cap = $32 million to spend on rookies and FAs at 89% of cap.

Rookies typically cost between $5-8 million, meaning they will spend about $25 million on FAs if they keep it at 89%.

Now, I actually think the Colts will spend over the 89% because Jimmy isn't affraid to spend cash, so all this confusing non-sense is probably not even relevant.

I know I heard somewhere, either on NFL network or ESPN, them talking about teams must spend 89% each yr.. Maybe they have misinterpreted the rule though. I thought it was each yr., but I guess we'll eventually find out. All we can do now is guess and hope for the best with all these free agents wish lists.

If you don't have over $40 million in cap space in Madden at all times, you are doing it wrong ;)

Too much work. Especially those players who think just cause they have a High Overall, they're supposed to get paid a lot even when they don't have a good year. Pshh, I'll pass

May I introduce you to punctuation?    It is your friend! 

This is a period .     This is a comma ,

You, sir, have earned this.  Wear with Pride.  ;)

gramma_police_zps1f1c350c.jpg

(yes, run on sentences without any punctuation at all perturbs me as well - lol)

Folks need to remember, we need some decent quality depth too. Otherwise you put your eggs in a basket that hopes nobody gets injured during the season. We all know that never happens anymore.

No, I'm looking to the board to correct me. By no means am I an expert on capology. That's why I started this thread, I wanted to get a realistic view of what we can expect the team to spend.

Great job!

One thing to be mindful of is that the average annual salary has little bearing on the Year 1 cap hit.

Let's just take the top free agents at four positions last year, and copy their contracts over. (Edit: These numbers come from Spotrac.)

CB Brandon Carr signed with the Chiefs for five years, $50m. But his Year 1 cap hit is only $3.2m.

G Ben Grubbs signed with the Saints for five years, $36m. But his Year 1 cap hit is only $2.7m. (I didn't use Carl Nicks because the Bucs did some untraditional structuring with his deal. His cap hit is $14.9m)

T Eric Winston signed with the Chiefs for four years, $22m. His Year 1 cap hit is $3m.

WR Pierre Garcon signed with the Redskins for five years, $42.5m. His Year 1 cap hit is $4.7m. (The Bucs did some untraditional structuring with Vincent Jackson's contract as well. His cap hit is $15.4m.)

Those contracts only add up to $13.6m in total cap hits in Year 1.

So, technically speaking, we could easily add top two players at several positions via free agency without spending the approximately $20m we'll have to spend to get to 89% of the cap.

By the way, I think $10m to resign our own + $5m to sign draft picks is a little high, given the picks we have. Our first rounder will hit the cap at around $1.5m, assuming we don't trade up. And we only have four other picks, all at about $450k. That's about $3.3m for draft picks. If we resign Powers, McAfee, Moala, Butler, Fokou and Stanton. I think those contracts would come in at about $6-8m in Year 1 cap hits, depending on a lot of variables. So we might have more than $20m to spend to get to 89% of the cap in 2013.

Going back to signing free agents, I probably wouldn't structure contracts like that for our team next year. I'd probably lean more toward front loaded contracts with smaller signing bonuses, so as to increase team flexibility in future years. I'd replace the signing bonuses with roster bonuses (or split them between the two), because roster bonuses aren't amortized evenly over the life of the contract. This is what the Bucs did with Jackson and Nicks, but I wouldn't do it as drastically as they did unless it made sense toward the end of the season to restructure (which is what the Bucs did with Nicks).

Anyways, the truth is that the team could actually go hog wild in free agency and keep our own guys. I don't think we should go hog wild, but there's a lot of flexibility for a team with $46m in cap space.

Just as an example on McAfee:

The Niners signed Andy Lee for seven years, $21.6m. Mike Scifres got five years, $18m. Let's just say we gave McAfee that same value, or something close to it. He'd be top five at his position.

I'd probably do six year, $20m. I'd give him a $2.5m signing bonus, and a $2m roster bonus in 2013, plus a base salary of $500k. His Year 1 cap hit would be $2.9m. Could guarantee salary in 2014, and include another roster bonus, and basically double his guaranteed money. Would be a very attractive contract for a punter, and very team friendly over the long term.

Yeah, that talk about signing Boldin or Bowe is fantasy stuff. Grigs is too smart for that. He's already on record saying he's not going to break the bank for any one player unless everyone agrees they absolutely need him. No WR fits that definition.

I don't expect him to go after Long either. But for $20m he can pick up at least 4 really solid players. Or he could get Kruger for around $8m and then get two decent OGs.

I say no thanks to Boldin. We have a nice group of WR's now the way it is. I've never been a big Boldin fan. He burned us but he has a way of disappearing for games at a stretch. As for how Grigson is going to spend money? I don't know but there is a lot more $ available to the team this Free Agency period than at any time in the last 10 to 12 years. It's critical that he spends smartly so that we can add quality without putting ourselves in bankruptcy later. Plenty of holes need to be filled and we dont have a lot of draft picks.

It's still hard to predict because by my count, I could easily see at least 8 of our own free agents being resigned. Depending on the contracts they could get, it will change what our available funds will be for other free agents. I can easily see these guys being resigned...

Pat Mcafee

Donny Avery

Darius Butler

Moise Fokou

Fili Moala

Antonio Johnson

Cassius Vaughn 

Jeff Linkenbach

A couple of those are arguable but nonetheless, realistic.

toss out Vaughn and add Shipley in there

Something I haven't seen mentioned is restructuring losses. I personally see this FA class as being weak for the Colts. The positions we need filled probably won't yield the right fits. So it may be possible that the Colts will restructure for the future.

Let's take a look at Satele's current situation: 

In 2013 he is due to make 2,700,000

In 2014 he is due to make 4,200,000

Because of how much cap space the Colts actually have, I would not be surprised to see them restructure a contract like this to make it easier in the future.

Grigson could:

1) Flip it, Satele makes 4,200,000 in 2013 and 2,700,000 in 2014

2) Split the difference, Satele could make 3,450,000 in both years

Both methods help the Colts reach the cap minimum this year, with an eye on a better future. 

The point is that you shouldn't get too caught up in believing we have to spend all of that money on draft picks and the FA, other options exist.