Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The future of head protection in football?

JoKeR

Without re-hashing all of my old comments about Ridell owning the helmet market for years, I am happy to see more and more options available.  Thanks for the article JoKeR!!!

I know SW1 and I talked and advocated the use of SAFER technology from the racing world.  It looks as if the so-called 'bumper' has the same basic premise.

I want to see football live forever.  Everyone needs to work toward a solution so that 'lawmakers' will not be making a decision for the populous as it relates to concussions/head injuries.

I know I joke around a lot on here, but my dad has lived almost 11 years with a head injury.  I do not want my kids and yours to have to live through the trauma and pain....(No smileys on this one)

what are your thoughts on everyone having to wear the same helmet?...

would never go over with players..

I believe it would absolutely have to be mandated to have this happen.  There are still guys that want the lightest helmets and pads to maximize their performance.   In fact, as we know some do not wear leg pads and a lot do not even wear a mouth-piece. It more than likely will not happen unless the immediate future of the game is in jeopardy.

That said, I never thought all major tracks in the NASCAR circuit would have SAFER barriers.  I also never thought NASCAR would build a Car of Tomorrow (COT) just for safety reasons.(It now has moved into a new car stage for 2013)

I would really hate for our favorite game to become a political 'pawn.'  That nauseates me.....

i think it's a good idea. i don't think they would last long on NFL helmets by just having them glued on though. the helmet itself needs to be engineered a little different with the "shock strips" added into it.

I tried to like but am out :)  There is no doubt you are correct....needs better engineering indeed....I just do not know enough about it...the premise is a good one.

i think it's a good idea. i don't think they would last long on NFL helmets by just having them glued on though. the helmet itself needs to be engineered a little different with the "shock strips" added into it.

They would just have apply new ones but I'm not sure that's a issue anyway. Your idea is good in a way but players would have limited choices of helmet if it was engineered as part of the helmet. Maybe 1 day all helmet types will have the technology but easier is better at first.

I think it's good to see new ideas about head protection in football. But I think those ideas should be heavily scrutinized before they're embraced as the future. I said the same thing about the Simpson helmet, and any other technological advances. Put them through the ringer and let's see what we really have.

A bit OT, but the Indianapolis Motor Speedway along with the University of Nebraska developed the SAFER barrier. It makes my blood boil every time NASCAR claims credit for it, which they do every time a crash occurs. They do the same with the HANS device, which was used in Indycar well before it was mandated in NASCAR.

that said, being a big race fan and motorcycle rider I know racing helmets and have wondered why that technology hasn't been incorporated into football. My cycle helmet was a LOT more comfortable than my HS football helmet...though that was 15 years ago and the "air helmets" had just come out. But seriously, they could improve football helmets a ton if they wanted to

I think it is possible, especially for the non skill positions..to make the helmet a multi-layer cage that is part

of the shoulder pad..to reduce head and neck injuries...No one that I know of has perfected this yet but it would be an

extension of the collar-type neck guard that some linemen wear now..

It would almost be a double dome from the shoulders up..

...another thought is that all players wear an energized type of 'spacesuit' that rejects impact when it comes in contact

with a similar suit. I know how strange this seems but I think its possible..and I'm sure someone is working on it

A bit OT, but the Indianapolis Motor Speedway along with the University of Nebraska developed the SAFER barrier. It makes my blood boil every time NASCAR claims credit for it, which they do every time a crash occurs. They do the same with the HANS device, which was used in Indycar well before it was mandated in NASCAR.

that said, being a big race fan and motorcycle rider I know racing helmets and have wondered why that technology hasn't been incorporated into football. My cycle helmet was a LOT more comfortable than my HS football helmet...though that was 15 years ago and the "air helmets" had just come out. But seriously, they could improve football helmets a ton if they wanted to

I did not mean to sound like NASCAR was at the forefront of SAFER Technology.  I was pointing out that they embraced and utilized it.  I am a huge IMS historian.  Sorry if I came across wrong.  I am with you on the motorcycle helmet/racing helment tech too!  Thanks for the post.  :)

I did not mean to sound like NASCAR was at the forefront of SAFER Technology.  I was pointing out that they embraced and utilized it.  I am a huge IMS historian.  Sorry if I came across wrong.  I am with you on the motorcycle helmet/racing helment tech too!  Thanks for the post.   :)

Oh no, my post wasn't directed at you in any way...sorry if I came across that way. I just hate how they always claim credit for it....I know they embraced it, installing it at all their tracks, but I have heard broadcasts where they (DW for one) say point blank it was NASCAR's creation....

Oh no, my post wasn't directed at you in any way...sorry if I came across that way. I just hate how they always claim credit for it....I know they embraced it, installing it at all their tracks, but I have heard broadcasts where they (DW for one) say point blank it was NASCAR's creation....

We know better.....Old DW is just a bunch of wind.....:)

http://www.shockstrip.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=165

I heard about this on ESPN radio, sounds like it can help reduce the chances of brain injury by applying bumpers to the outside of football helmets.

Ridell & Bullwinkle J. Moose are currently in production of a Bighorn Sheep Spray  - called  Ewe Betcha .  The Helmets once sprayed are impenetrable & indistingushable the trojan horse of cranial protection will make the users helmet as hard as a rock , Please consult a physician if it lasts longer than 4 hours .

Ridell & Bullwinkle J. Moose are currently in production of a Bighorn Sheep Spray  - called  Ewe Betcha .  The Helmets once sprayed are impenetrable & indistingushable the trojan horse of cranial protection will make the users helmet as hard as a rock , Please consult a physician if it lasts longer than 4 hours .

If it lasts longer than than 4 hours....we receive a reward right?   OOOPs wrong topic  :Wooo:  :excited:

I think it's good to see new ideas about head protection in football. But I think those ideas should be heavily scrutinized before they're embraced as the future. I said the same thing about the Simpson helmet, and any other technological advances. Put them through the ringer and let's see what we really have.

Your gonna see about a dozen or so college teams wearing them next year.

I believe it would absolutely have to be mandated to have this happen.  There are still guys that want the lightest helmets and pads to maximize their performance.   In fact, as we know some do not wear leg pads and a lot do not even wear a mouth-piece. It more than likely will not happen unless the immediate future of the game is in jeopardy.

That said, I never thought all major tracks in the NASCAR circuit would have SAFER barriers.  I also never thought NASCAR would build a Car of Tomorrow (COT) just for safety reasons.(It now has moved into a new car stage for 2013)

I would really hate for our favorite game to become a political 'pawn.'  That nauseates me.....

I have a few ideas about the "safety" problems in today's NFL. There needs to definitely be a real effort into new technology for pads and helmets. Obviously this will take time and I also believe that any new technology that shows promise will have to be mandated. As you say, players are always looking for comfort over protection.

On another note. I think it's interesting that with all the safety talk that there has not been or I guess I havent heard as much about the "causes" of the spike in brain related injuries in the modern game. I think that the relationship between the size of today's NFL players and those that played 40 years ago is no cooincidence. I read a story yesterday about that fact that it's been 2 years since the last labor agreement and still no testing for HGH has been instituted. I'm no scientist but I would think that safety, size, PED all go hand in hand. Today's NFL is so much different from the NFL I grew up watching. In many ways it makes me sick to watch it at times. Don't get me wrong, I love the Colts but many things in today's game are a real drag for me.

It's time for the NFL to get serious about equipment, PED's, and do some real research into why the brain injury situation has increased so dramatically. All I've seen the NFL do to this point is make rules and issue fines for players that collide with another playes head. Many times those collisions are unavoidable given the nature of the game. Is it time for the NFL to start limiting the size of certain players? That will never happen but I have to believe that the size of the modern football player is playing a big role in these brain injuries.

I have also been worried about the size of today's players and how they get so large and how healthy that is.

We're going to see a lot of changes..and players are going to have to be dragged kicking and screaming to safety.

The folks who say they live the violence and how that's real football...they'll go away. But that's okay.

But the game of the 90s isnt todays game.....

..and the game of the 90s was MUCH LESS violent than the game of the 50s and 60s...

No matter how much players dont like it..you have to rule out all helmet to helmet contact away from the line and find specialized head and shoulder gear that prevents most conconcussions for linemen..no matter how awkward it may be..

People will follow a softer, less violent kind of football that does not include hitting people in the head.

Fans have always rolled with the changes

Head injuries are caused by the brain hitting the skull - not the head hitting the helmet ... IMO there is no helmet today or ever that will prevent that from happening - never!   

Potentially they will wear some sort yet to be developed hans device that straps their head to their shoulders and/or body and restrains the movement of the head in all directions ,- NAHHHHHH that will never work either will it .... 

Only option I see is to remove helmets or reduce the protection, maybe increase fines so that they cease smacking each other in the head.

Head injuries are caused by the brain hitting the skull - not the head hitting the helmet ... IMO there is no helmet today or ever that will prevent that from happening - never!

Actually thats not exactly true. The acceleration forces acting on the brain cause the most problems. There is a protective fluid (which is in compressible) in the brain that prevents the brain from impacting the skull.

I was just reading a lengthy article from Popular Science and it was talking about how rotational forces acting on the nerves and axoms of the brain cause the most strain and typically result in the most damage resulting in concussions.

There is a helmet company in Europe or something that designed a helmet that basically has a "basket" type device "floating" in the helmet on what is essentially rubber springs. The basket actually allows the helmet casing to rotate with respect to the head and help reduce the damaging types of rotational accelerations by quite a bit.

Its pretty interesting stuff.

http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2012-12/helmet-wars-and-new-helmet-could-protect-us-all?page=1

Actually thats not exactly true. The acceleration forces acting on the brain cause the most problems. There is a protective fluid (which is in compressible) in the brain that prevents the brain from impacting the skull.

I was just reading a lengthy article from Popular Science and it was talking about how rotational forces acting on the nerves and axoms of the brain cause the most strain and typically result in the most damage resulting in concussions.

There is a helmet company in Europe or something that designed a helmet that basically has a "basket" type device "floating" in the helmet on what is essentially rubber springs. The basket actually allows the helmet casing to rotate with respect to the head and help reduce the damaging types of rotational accelerations by quite a bit.

Its pretty interesting stuff.

http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2012-12/helmet-wars-and-new-helmet-could-protect-us-all?page=1

Yes indeed theres a lot more to it than brain hitting the actual skull / bone - I admit I wasn't fully anatomically correct, but I wasn't trying to be I was just saying that isolating the head/brain from the helmet is where the problem lies.   That company appears to be trying to do that, IMO it will never work, but hey its worth a try I guess...

Naturally, football is a violent game with frequent collisions and concussions. And along with those concussions, the following symptoms can result in athletes: brain trauma, amnesia, light headedness, vomiting, CTE, and a lack of impulse control or patience. Shock strips, shells that distribute a fast and abrupt collision across the entire helmet, or a lot of inner padding inside the helmet have all been created to solve this protection problem.

Superman & I had an interesting discussion on this topic once. Brent & I are pretty passionate about this issue too. How much time is devoted to helmet design, player's choice, and literature discussing/providing samples of different helmet options available to athletes? Especially when they start rookie training camp, are these NFL recruits steered exclusively toward Riddel or alternative helmet designs/fittings openly embraced & encouraged? When veterans come to the rookie symposium, are they any debates about the equipment selection process at all & would the application of shock strips on the outside of an NFL helmet be a violation of NFL attire & worthy of a fine/suspension?