Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jeremy Kelley signs with Indy

illdubb

It's not that we are so excited about this guy in particular (although we are somewhat), but it's knowing that Grigson is turning over every stone to find us a diamond in the rough.   Apparently, he thinks we need a big ole WR, too...or a big, ole special teamer.

Do you think he is unique? Do you think Polian did not do the same thing?

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's a big boy. Has a similar size/speed combo as Fleener. Kelley is 20 lbs lighter and a little slower. Fleener is a freak of nature, btw...

Obviously Kelley is a long shot to make the team, but his physical attributes point to the fact he has potential to contribute on special teams and play a hybrid WR/TE roll in some packages. I don't see him as a pure NFL WR personally but what the heck do I know.

I'm surprised it hasn't really been mentioned already but if you want to run a power running west coast offense, you need receivers to block as well. Maybe this guy will play more as a blocking WR than a receiving one. Atlanta had a guy who almost always blocked and when he didn't, it always fooled the d

Do you think he is unique? Do you think Polian did not do the same thing?

I think Polian tried and was great earlier in his career, but kind of like Al Davis ... Polians skill for talent evaluation did not progress/change with the game, and I think he was too stubborn to listen to others' opinions (and when he did listen unfortunately it was his son's opinion).

I think Polian tried and was great earlier in his career, but kind of like Al Davis ... Polians skill for talent evaluation did not progress/change with the game, and I think he was too stubborn to listen to others' opinions (and when he did listen unfortunately it was his son's opinion).

It's hard to say when Bill stopped making decisions and Chris began.  I sincerely believe Chris is the mastermind of those bad drafts and Bill took the hit for him.  I do think, however, that Grigson is in rarefied air getting Exec of Year his first year and absolutely knocking it out of the park like he did.  I don't know that Polian ever had as good a year as this.  Imo, anyway.

Meaningless. The point is everyone here thinks that Grigson is doing something unique when the fact he is doing the same thing that all GM's do or did, including Polian. Signing a guy out of Canada is not unusaul.

James Hardy was tall & fast

Good point....he shows in the AFL....

James Hardy
American football
James W. Hardy, III is an American football wide receiver who is currently a member of the Tampa Bay Storm of the Arena Football League. Wikipedia
BornDecember 24, 1985 (age 27), Fort Wayne
Height6' 6" (1.98 m)
Weight217 lbs (98.4 kg)
PositionWide receiver

Hardy was an awesome basketball player in HS.....Indiana All-Star.....

Meaningless. The point is everyone here thinks that Grigson is doing something unique when the fact he is doing the same thing that all GM's do or did, including Polian. Signing a guy out of Canada is not unusaul.

Even though the topic of the thread is Jeremy Kelley...I think the comments are as much about Grigson's body of work as a whole rather than just this one particular move.  As far as all "GMs did or do" it, you are right to the extent that most have looked at CFL players, but like I said most of the comments are being based off his body of work and I would say very few GMs churned their roster as often as he did this season and effectively finding multiple players that will probably be playing next year.

Even though the topic of the thread is Jeremy Kelley...I think the comments are as much about Grigson's body of work as a whole rather than just this one particular move.  As far as all "GMs did or do" it, you are right to the extent that most have looked at CFL players, but like I said most of the comments are being based off his body of work and I would say very few GMs churned their roster as often as he did this season and effectively finding multiple players that will probably be playing next year.

Maybe, maybe not. I love what Grigson did last season, but he's getting a lot of credit for finding Jerrell Freeman, and really that's more a stroke of luck than of genius. And he's not the only one to have gotten lucky on a CFL guy recently; Brandon Browner came from the CFL as well.

But as it pertains to how people praise Grigson for doing things that Polian never did, I do think it's a case of perception being divorced from reality.

He'll definitely be a work in progress if he sticks at all. Keep in mind that he's not had more than 20 receptions in his entire collegiate career, nor has he passed that mark in the AFL (though he did have 7 TDs). Could be a diamond in the rough, that's fair. I like his tools, but he looked a little more lumbering in his Maine highlights. I think he might have a chance as a special teamer (size/strength/speed could make for a great kick and punt blocker) and a project WR if he makes it. Risk/reward makes this an easy decision.

Maybe, maybe not. I love what Grigson did last season, but he's getting a lot of credit for finding Jerrell Freeman, and really that's more a stroke of luck than of genius. And he's not the only one to have gotten lucky on a CFL guy recently; Brandon Browner came from the CFL as well.

But as it pertains to how people praise Grigson for doing things that Polian never did, I do think it's a case of perception being divorced from reality.

Younger Polian 15+ yrs ago might have done it.... but old stubborn Polian would not have been willing to make all the moves Grigson did.

Younger Polian 15+ yrs ago might have done it.... but old stubborn Polian would not have been willing to make all the moves Grigson did.

All the moves? Probably not. But signing a CFL player? Sure he would have. He signed fringe guys all the time.

Where I think Grigson deserves more credit is in not resting, always trying to make the team better. Polian got comfortable with certain guys and certain positions, and some players unfairly got overlooked or pushed out (Justin Tryon, Tom Brandstater), while others were held on to for too long (Curtis Painter, and several others).

Meh.

Ill believe it when I see it. Id love for us to get a bigger WR but they need to actually be good. The fact this kid was basically a special teamer who caught a few TDs in the CFL doesnt give me alot of confidence he'll do much for us. We'll see.

He'll definitely be a work in progress if he sticks at all. Keep in mind that he's not had more than 20 receptions in his entire collegiate career, nor has he passed that mark in the AFL (though he did have 7 TDs). Could be a diamond in the rough, that's fair. I like his tools, but he looked a little more lumbering in his Maine highlights. I think he might have a chance as a special teamer (size/strength/speed could make for a great kick and punt blocker) and a project WR if he makes it. Risk/reward makes this an easy decision.

Maybe a PS player for a year.  Kind of hard to imagine that a guy who hasn't really been a star in college or the arena league to all of a sudden blossom.  Like you said though, if he can make an impact on STs, he has a shot.

Amen. If there was ever a time to take a chance on trying to develop a diamond in the rough, it's now while we still have Reggie. By all accounts, he is a great mentor.

Mentor?... maybe. Able to singlehandedly mold a guy who nobody in the NFL has ever heard of into starting material? Bull*. Give me even one example where 87 has done anything close to that.

I hope this guy becomes great. It would be awesome. I just doubt he'll be on the team to open the season.

Due the amazing track record of Ryan Grigson on player selection, which speaks for itself - I will definitely take an optimistic "wait and see" attitude on Kelly. Grigs sees something in him that may not be obvious or even apparent to us watching the film highlights. Maybe he just wants to groom him into a special teams beast. Believe me he has a plan and let's show some support until we see the outcome.

ColtsHappy

All the moves? Probably not. But signing a CFL player? Sure he would have. He signed fringe guys all the time.

Where I think Grigson deserves more credit is in not resting, always trying to make the team better. Polian got comfortable with certain guys and certain positions, and some players unfairly got overlooked or pushed out (Justin Tryon, Tom Brandstater), while others were held on to for too long (Curtis Painter, and several others).

Im not so sure Curtis Painter is a good example of being held on to to long because keep in mind who we had at QB ahead of him, Manning was no where near retirement and I believe the idea was for Painter to learn under Manning and that he certainly was not supposed to start anytime soon, I think a few better examples in my opinion would be 

1.Bob Sanders-How many seasons in a row did we have to hold onto him before we realized the dude was injury prone, a great player when on the field but those times were few and far between

2.Anthony Gonzales-Played in 11 games his last 3 years as a Colt while playing in 29 in his first 2

3.Joseph Addai-was he producing? not really since his second year in the league, which was not all his fault, we had and currently still have O Line problems but he could not stay healthy only 1 time playing a full 16 game season and we had a young healthy Donald Brown behind him, we could have easily moved on with Brown as the starter and drafted a couple of O Linemen such as Sebastion Vollmer or William Beatty (who Brown ran behind at Connecticut) 

4.Gary Brackett- we held onto him for 4 years in which he did not play a full 16 game season, he was a decent player no doubt but replaceable  

and then there is also others we held onto until they lost alot of whatever value they had to begin with

1.Diem

2.Jerraud Powers only because I think we can get a late pick for him and he has yet to play a whole season somehow some way manages to stay on the roster and until recently we tried to pretend he was a #1, he is replaceable easily to the point that it was basically done this season with Butler and Davis

3.Arguably Dallas Clark, he was good but we had Manning at that time who could have made the next average TE better then what he actually was

all of them guys could have been replaced, got to keep the average players moving

Awww old polian calling us fare weather fans and telling us that we dont know crap and stats means nothing......Thaty crazy old fool reminds me of the crazy uncle everybody has and during thanksgiving you know the one nobody talk to and he end up sitting in a corner mumbling to himself and sniffing socks.

Im not so sure Curtis Painter is a good example of being held on to to long because keep in mind who we had at QB ahead of him, Manning was no where near retirement and I believe the idea was for Painter to learn under Manning and that he certainly was not supposed to start anytime soon, I think a few better examples in my opinion would be 

All your examples notwithstanding, I was pointing out players who were outplayed and should have lost their spot to others. Tom Brandstater earned that QB2 spot in 2010 over Painter, but Polian stuck with Painter anyways. 

All your examples notwithstanding, I was pointing out players who were outplayed and should have lost their spot to others. Tom Brandstater earned that QB2 spot in 2010 over Painter, but Polian stuck with Painter anyways. 

I cant even recall Brandstater, the only one I see is the one that was on the Broncos roster in 2009 and Rams 2011

I cant even recall Brandstater, the only one I see is the one that was on the Broncos roster in 2009 and Rams 2011

He didn't make the final roster. But I think he outplayed Painter very plainly.

Not an earth shattering move, but the point is that I don't think Polian made these kind of deep roster decisions the same way Grigson does. I think Polian got comfortable with his preferred 53, whereas Grigson is never satisfied with that 53rd guy on the roster.

He didn't make the final roster. But I think he outplayed Painter very plainly.

Not an earth shattering move, but the point is that I don't think Polian made these kind of deep roster decisions the same way Grigson does. I think Polian got comfortable with his preferred 53, whereas Grigson is never satisfied with that 53rd guy on the roster.

shouldn't be comfortable, thats how the league works, not just to weed out the weak links in the roster but to prolong the inevitable cap heck that a team will eventually go through for as long as possible

1.Bob Sanders-How many seasons in a row did we have to hold onto him before we realized the dude was injury prone, a great player when on the field but those times were few and far between

2.Anthony Gonzales-Played in 11 games his last 3 years as a Colt while playing in 29 in his first 2

3.Joseph Addai-was he producing? not really since his second year in the league, which was not all his fault, we had and currently still have O Line problems but he could not stay healthy only 1 time playing a full 16 game season and we had a young healthy Donald Brown behind him, we could have easily moved on with Brown as the starter and drafted a couple of O Linemen such as Sebastion Vollmer or William Beatty (who Brown ran behind at Connecticut) 

4.Gary Brackett- we held onto him for 4 years in which he did not play a full 16 game season, he was a decent player no doubt but replaceable  

and then there is also others we held onto until they lost alot of whatever value they had to begin with

1.Diem

2.Jerraud Powers only because I think we can get a late pick for him and he has yet to play a whole season somehow some way manages to stay on the roster and until recently we tried to pretend he was a #1, he is replaceable easily to the point that it was basically done this season with Butler and Davis

3.Arguably Dallas Clark, he was good but we had Manning at that time who could have made the next average TE better then what he actually was

all of them guys could have been replaced, got to keep the average players moving

The one thing that always infuriated me was Polians refusal

to get a full back for those 1st and goals at the 1 that we never

could seem to punch in. His reasoning was that he didn’t need to waste a roster spot on

a player that would only play 30 or 40 snaps a year, but it was ok to waste a

roster spot on a guy that was so injury prone that he was lucky to play 3 games

a year, keeping his spot open and then IR-ing him in week 14.

Mentor?... maybe. Able to singlehandedly mold a guy who nobody in the NFL has ever heard of into starting material? Bull*. Give me even one example where 87 has done anything close to that.

I hope this guy becomes great. It would be awesome. I just doubt he'll be on the team to open the season.

That's pure speculation on your part. You may very well be right, but at this point we have to wait and see. And like I said, if the FO sees possiblity, then I trust them and I trust Reggie more than anyone to show him the ropes.