Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jeremy Kelley signs with Indy

illdubb

Sorry Man Of Steel , I usually try to read the whole thread to make sure I don't "copy" another post. Sometimes I do take a shot and do it anyway if there are like 4-5 pages. In this case I did not see the page 2 of the thread. You had already responded correctly to the post in question and mine just repeats it.

No big. Corroboration is awesome.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not about how we think he will be the next star... far from it. We discuss what he may or may not bring to the team in our own opinions. We are no experts or scouts, but we join the forum to share our opinions on certain matters. 

The point is that for every Freeman there's dozens of players like Nicolas Jean-Baptiste who get signed to a PS/Offseason contract and fans start talking about how he's going to be a great contributor, etc., etc., etc., and then is cut 2-3 weeks later.  People are unsigned for a reason.  Sometimes it's because they haven't been able to prove their worth, but it's usually just because the're not good enough.

No one is stopping people from sharing their opinions; I'm just sharing mine that he's a long-shot to make the roster.

yeah... the guy might not be a burner, but the physical tools are there... would be great if he turned out to be more than camp fodder...

I knew 'camp fodder' would eventually hit the thread.....i smelled it coming early on.  :)

I remember when a little fella named Welker was not a household name in Miami....maybe these tools are real!!!!  We can only wish Kelley the best.

Like Gary Brackett said, "it's a little known secret that the NFL is mostly mental".  Everybody has physical talent at this level, but not everybody has the will to succeed.   See Jamarcus Russel vs Peyton Manning.  Jamarcus is waaaay more talented physically and that's where it ends.

Looking at highlights of this guy, the first comparison that comes to mind is a very raw Vincent Jackson. Big WR, high vertical, above average speed. 

I think at best, he will only be on special teams this year, unless injuries happen. 

Hopefully he works out well. I think it is good for guys in the other football leagues to get an opportunity in the NFL. And hopefully we can raid guys from those leagues so other teams can't figure out our secret. :D  

Wouldnt it be crazy if this guy winds up being another calvin Johnson or Andre Johnson kinda guy. That would be a storyline coming from the Arena League for sure. and Grigson would become infamous for finding guys like freeman and this guy. He also picked up butler who was out of work and came in with two pick sixes and 4? interceptions? And the trade for Vontae davis who, by the way, made aandre Johnson look terrible in the final game. That last interception, Vontae was actually running Johnsons route with Andre 5 yds back. Way ta go, Grigson!!! Remember Polian started out wonderful too. Picking Manning and wayne and James among other Colts Greats. I Trust the office on this one. he looks good in the videos, seems to fight for the ball and YAC alot! Colts seem to be the Kings of Feel good stories. This would be a good one.

*cough* Roy Hall *cough* *cough*

Like Gary Brackett said, "it's a little known secret that the NFL is mostly mental". Everybody has physical talent at this level, but not everybody has the will to succeed. See Jamarcus Russel vs Peyton Manning. Jamarcus is waaaay more talented physically and that's where it ends.

This exactly. Roy hall didn't put the work in. Physical talent off the charts. We did have some pretty good receivers at the time also. But still...

The point is that for every Freeman there's dozens of players like Nicolas Jean-Baptiste who get signed to a PS/Offseason contract and fans start talking about how he's going to be a great contributor, etc., etc., etc., and then is cut 2-3 weeks later.  People are unsigned for a reason.  Sometimes it's because they haven't been able to prove their worth, but it's usually just because the're not good enough.

No one is stopping people from sharing their opinions; I'm just sharing mine that he's a long-shot to make the roster.

Agreed. And I'm glad folks here are excited that we're looking at new bodies that might crack the 53 man  roster.  They can set their expectations high. But chances of uncovering a superstar from AFL/CFL is quite low. That's why others, while not displeased, aren't whooping it up.  But we just may all agree it is a good thing to be bringing in a new set of 90 bodies to compete rather than checking on last years castoffs to see if another year away from playing made it easier for them to compete for a spot?

My own excitement level will certainly increase when FA signings and the draft is underway.

Not earth shattering but maybe note worthy. I just noticed that he went to Manie College. So he was there at the same time as our Offensive assistant , Frank Giufre was. He (Frank G.) was a Pagano hire last year , so he would have been at Maine for all the Kelley years there. 

It's not that we are so excited about this guy in particular (although we are somewhat), but it's knowing that Grigson is turning over every stone to find us a diamond in the rough.   Apparently, he thinks we need a big ole WR, too...or a big, ole special teamer.

It's not that we are so excited about this guy in particular (although we are somewhat), but it's knowing that Grigson is turning over every stone to find us a diamond in the rough.   Apparently, he thinks we need a big ole WR, too...or a big, ole special teamer.

Indeed, lets get loads of new and fresh faces into camp.  You never know good could shake out from those moves.

My nephew is a defensive coordinator in the AFL. I just told him we signed this guy & he told me that he is someone they always had to prepare hard for. He said he is a hard worker & is always physically prepared & seems to be a gym rat.

He doesn't know anything about him personally but feels his size & tools will enable him to make the jump if he has the heart & drive.

It seems he does have those from the videos.

I wish him well & hope he can make the team & contribute in many of the ways most of the posters have envisioned.

I can't remember when I looked forward to the next season more.

This exactly. Roy hall didn't put the work in. Physical talent off the charts. We did have some pretty good receivers at the time also. But still...

It didn't have anything to do with not putting the work in, but moreso the guy couldn't stay healthy. The guy, physically, was a freak but obviously fragile at the same time. Much like Gonzo, if he wasn't injured all the time and we seen it out of Gonzo, had he been healthy he would have produced.

Indy is going to the West Coast offense.  Short passes, lots of completions 6'6" WR.  Sounds like a good fit to me.

i can see us doing a hybrid west coast offense where we also include throwing deep passes because it would just be a waste of guys like hilton and brazill who can burn you deep to be running short routes

i can see us doing a hybrid west coast offense where we also include throwing deep passes because it would just be a waste of guys like hilton and brazill who can burn you deep to be running short routes

Yes, the Corn Belt Offense. I coined it. You're welcome. :D

The hybrid WCO of Pep Hamilton will have plenty for the WR's to do , Last years offense good & bad is being dissected by our new OC & #12 . With running the ball down the throat of the defense being a priority for the new coach I have to believe the long ball will be even more potent than some think IMO .A balanced offense with a offensive line that can blow people off the ball & create holes for the RB's will be the difference between being a good reg season team & a playoff contender . Which is the plan .

This upcoming season for me takes me back to the beginning of the Peyton Manning era , Rarely do teams get a 2 'nd chance yet here we are , Meaning the Colts did very well but never gave Peyton Manning the defense he & the fans deserved . The WR big & tough looks like another TE- slot reciever possible ? Who knows ? What ever it takes Jarrell Freeman was a diamond in the rough , He looked pretty good , New ooach new guys new start for many lots to prove this 2013 season .

Not to mention is Ryan Grigson going old school ?? WR - DE . Whats next SS- FG kicker / NT ??

You will see play action deep more than a straight up deep ball.....but we do still need to keep defenses honest.  We cannot allow our offense to become solely 'dink and dunk.'  Also looking forward to designed roll-outs and some of Luck's magical 'bootlegs.'  :)

We may see dink and dunk against a lax Cover 2 all day.  I look forward to getting Hilton and Brazill a chance to run in the open field in the WCO.  We have yet to tap Brazill's potential.  This is his year....just a gut feeling...