Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Post-Senior Bowl 1st Round considerations

Senior Bowl Stand Outs  

32 members have voted

1. 1. What Senior Bowl Stand-Out would you like to see taken by the Colts?

• Kawann Short - DE Purdue
    • Alex Okafor - OLB Texas
    • Desmond Trufant - CB Washington
    • Lane Johnson - OT Oklahoma
    • Datone Jones - DE UCLA

I've seen quite a few new names tied to Indianapolis since the Senior Bowl last week. I've also been swayed by some of the players' performances last week. These players deserve consideration in Round 1.

Kawann Short DE Purdue : A huge D-lineman that has played literally every position in both 4-3 and 3-4 looks. This guy is just a beast and he showed that at the Senior Bowl even drawing a comment from Mike Mayock stating that he should be a 1st round pick. I'm sure that statement will become even more true during the Combine. In a division with running backs like Foster, Johnson and MJD...this guy would be a great pickup. Short, Chapman and Redding would be scary!

Alex Okafor OLB Texas : Very athletic young talent that is effective at both stopping the run and rushing the passer. I saw him getting the best of Eric Fisher a lot last week who was regarded as the best tackle in the Senior Bowl. With Freeney out the door and only a handful of 3-4 OLB Free Agents, this would be a great selection, although I believe there is enough depth this year to get an effective pass rusher later in the draft such as Brandon Jenkins, Sean Porter or Tank Carredine.

Desmond Trufant CB Washington : He's a physical corner who has a lot of upside heading into the draft. I think he's going to keep climbing up the boards and he'll be regarded as the #2 or #3 CB this year. Trufant and Davis would be a great tandem for years to come.

Lane Johnson OT Oklahoma : I am fairly sure that Ryan Grigson will make it a point to buy up some talent on the O-line as soon as Free Agency opens, but that doesn't rule out the possibility of taking an O-lineman with the first pick. Johnson could be a guy that keeps Luck on his feet for a long time and would be an important piece in Indy's "youth movement". 

Datone Jones DE UCLA  : Jones is an intriguing player because he's so versatile. It's a fun pick for the Colts because I think we forget that they do run a hybrid defensive scheme, not just a 3-4. I'm definitely impressed with his performance at the Senior Bowl, but not convinced he is the best value at #24. 

Those are my thoughts. Who did you like? 

Of these given options I'd go for Okafor.  I would prefer, however, to get Xavier Rhodes in round 1 and Brandon Jenkins in round 3.  That would be my dream draft scenario unless we bring in a #1 or #2 quality CB in FA.  Even if we do bring in a pass rushing OLB in FA like Barwin, Spencer or Kruger, I'd still like to grab Jenkins in the 3rd if he's still there.

After the Senior Bowl he deserves consideration for a 1st round pick

He may have done enough to bump himself to the bottom or middle of the 2nd round...but that's as far as I can see him going. I have yet to see and doubt i'll ever see a mock draft from anyone with him in the 1st round. I'm not wanting a 49rs style 1st round reach.

Okafor is not a first rounder in national post or mocking the draft. His best 40 time is 4.7 range while Mathis and freeney were 4.5 range. He may be strong but I like my DE to be fast.

Okafor isn't a DE in a 3-4, but could play DE in our 4-3 package.If you are really trying to split hairs with a 0.2 second difference in a 40...well thats your business, I prefer to look at block shedding and pass rushing abilities. He has those. Before the Senior Bowl he was a low 1st Rounder and still ranked 25th on CBS's prospect list as a 1st rounder. He'd be a great fit. Ability to get to the QB > Speed.

Okafor isn't a DE in a 3-4, but could play DE in our 4-3 package.If you are really trying to split hairs with a 0.2 second difference in a 40...well thats your business, I prefer to look at block shedding and pass rushing abilities. He has those. Before the Senior Bowl he was a low 1st Rounder and still ranked 25th on CBS's prospect list as a 1st rounder. He'd be a great fit. Ability to get to the QB > Speed.

agreed, and add to that the additional speed could come at the expense of strength, which 3-4 OLB will also need to set the edge on running plays, something the speedier Freeney and Mathis both struggle with.

Also, just for comparison, Aldon Smith ran a 4.78, Paul Kruger a 5.0, Terrell Suggs ran a 4.84, Conner Barwin a 4.66, Brooks Reed a 4.68, Whitney Mercilus a 4.68 and Clay Matthews a 4.67.

I sit corrected... I knew that...I just wasn't thinking.  

I still don't like him.  He has fallen to the 2nd round on Mockingthedraft, nationalpost and walter.   I think that Okafor gets a lot of love from Texas homers. 

I sit corrected... I knew that...I just wasn't thinking.  

I still don't like him.  He has fallen to the 2nd round on Mockingthedraft, nationalpost and walter.   I think that Okafor gets a lot of love from Texas homers. 

I don't look at those mock drafts, so I have never seen him as anything but a 1st rounder and I still feel that way. But, he's one of those bubble players that is usually at the tail end of the 1st on a mock draft and I think he did well at the senior bowl. Had no problem taking on the best OT.

Eziekel Anasha 

Larry Warford

add these two standout i hope we draft them

Ansah has been in the 1st round area for a while, so I didn't put him on the list. It's more or less people on the 1st/2nd round bubble that made their case in the senior bowl. Warford is a huge reach in the 1st round. He's a mid/late 2nd rounder more than likley.

Just my opinion but a Guard in the first round is a waste of a pick.

Our interior line was a big contributor to a lot of sacks last season. We could do worse than to improve that part of the line. However, I do feel that the O-line will be bought with FA money and we'll focus on defense in the draft.

Just my opinion but a Guard in the first round is a waste of a pick.

even if he could be next Steve Hutchinson or Lupati? in FA you run the risk of being stuck with the next Seth Olsen, Mike Mcglynn or Joe Reitz, yeah Ill take a Chance Warmack or David Decastro or maybe a Travis Frederick once he eventually climbs up the boards any day of the week over some FA castoff

I get that Hutchinson and Iupati are great but, our O line is more easily fixable in FA than our defense is. We need a difference maker on D with our first rounder this year.

Again, just my opinion.

Maybe it is but that would depend on one of those mid tier FA O Linemen signing with us such as Vasquez for example (I dont ever hear his name come up in the elite O Linemen talk, there are several more pass rushers in the draft class this year that we can get compared to there are potentially elite O Linemen in my opinion

Pass rushers that could go in the first 

1.Damontre Moore

2.Sam Montgomery

3.Barkevious Mingo

4.Bjoern Werner

5.Jarvis Jones

6.Alec Ogletree

7.Ezekiel Ansah although I would not touch him in the 1st

8.Alex Okafor

9.Dion Jordan

All have the potential to be first round picks although not all will

at Guard you have 

1.Chance Warmack

2.Johnathan Cooper

3.Larry Warford is soaring up some boards

4.and depending on who you listen to Barrett Jones is late 1st although many think he will go in the second, I think he can easily go in the 1st

My point using just OLB for example is there is a whole lot more defensive talent out there in the draft that will go early then there is Guards, Im not sayin I would not take care of the Guards position through FA but the minute Vasquez and Rinehart go off the table thats a huge hit to signing an O Lineman that could fit our blocking scheme thats not some journeyman

The only Defensive player I would take over Lane Johnson, would be Xavier Rhodes.  If Johnson and Rhodes is gone I would take Ziggy Ansah.

I think Ziggy is gone before those two. Rhodes is probably a reach at 24, but I wouldn't be too mad if we got him. Would much rather have Kawann Short. Football lives and dies in the trenches. We don't have enough talent up front on the D-line. Redding is not getting younger, we don't have a proven NT and Fili Moala is a depth guy who will probably not be back next season. I can cope with getting a DB later in the draft or in FA. 

I think Ziggy is gone before those two. Rhodes is probably a reach at 24, but I wouldn't be too mad if we got him. Would much rather have Kawann Short. Football lives and dies in the trenches. We don't have enough talent up front on the D-line. Redding is not getting younger, we don't have a proven NT and Fili Moala is a depth guy who will probably not be back next season. I can cope with getting a DB later in the draft or in FA. 

I do not like taking a DT/NT in the 1st round.  There are alot in rounds 2-7 that could help our DT/NT.  IMO, OL and CB is our biggest needs with OLB/DE being our next (with Freeney leaving (IMO).  There are also quite of few safeties in rounds 2-7.

I do not like taking a DT/NT in the 1st round.  There are alot in rounds 2-7 that could help our DT/NT.  IMO, OL and CB is our biggest needs with OLB/DE being our next (with Freeney leaving (IMO).  There are also quite of few safeties in rounds 2-7.

I agree with you, however, Kawann Short is a 3-4 DE. Not a NT. So he is a value and in an area of need. We have enough needs all over the place to go BPA. OL will probably be address through FA, possibly CB as well since there are so many quality guys out there this year that will be good fits on the team. It will be interesting to see where they go...of course, all this talk is going to change after we do grab people in FA and of course, after the combine. 

I agree with you, however, Kawann Short is a 3-4 DE. Not a NT. So he is a value and in an area of need. We have enough needs all over the place to go BPA. OL will probably be address through FA, possibly CB as well since there are so many quality guys out there this year that will be good fits on the team. It will be interesting to see where they go...of course, all this talk is going to change after we do grab people in FA and of course, after the combine. 

I am not sure how to respond.  I would like to see how our line plays when healthy.  I watched a lot of the Senior Bowl practices and Short was playing DT/NT.  That is why I thought he was a DT/NT. 

Our D-line was not as bad as they were injuried.

I am not sure how to respond.  I would like to see how our line plays when healthy.  I watched a lot of the Senior Bowl practices and Short was playing DT/NT.  That is why I thought he was a DT/NT. 

Our D-line was not as bad as they were injuried.

He's played every position at Purdue incuding DE in the 3-4. He has the size and the production. "experts" say he's a 4-3 DT or 3-4 DE. Our D-line was brutal all year long, injured or not lol. Allowed 137.5 yards per game. No bueno. 

Depending on who we can get in free agency it's just hard to come up with a pick for our 1st rd. pick. If we can't lock up at least 2 solid starters for our O-line in free agency, then I hope we go for the best o-lineman available when our pick rolls around. If we get a couple of good starters for the o-line in FA, then I would like a CB or an OLBer. Preferably, in that order.

He's played every position at Purdue incuding DE in the 3-4. He has the size and the production. "experts" say he's a 4-3 DT or 3-4 DE. Our D-line was brutal all year long, injured or not lol. Allowed 137.5 yards per game. No bueno. 

Thanks for the info about his play at Purdue. Will watch for Short at Combine