Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chelsea_fc Mock Draft 2.0 (and free agency)

So heading into the 2013 NFL season these are the acquisitions I'd like to see the Colts make (in order of preference):

1.  Louis Vasquez, OG, Chargers

2.  Anthony Spencer, OLB, Cowboys

3.  Geoff Schwartz, OG, Vikings (thank you Peytonator for posting about him)

4.  Phil Loadholt, RT, Vikings

Ok and now the draft, I think if at all possible the Colts could get good value if they trade down into the second round, so I'm going to assume trading into the early 2nd and also recieving a 3rd and a 5th:

ROUND 2:

- Desmond Trufant, CB, Washington - Had a great senior bowl and I think could be a great #2 CB.

ROUND 3:

- John Cyprien, S, Florida International (thank you Nobody for bringing him up) - Also had a great senior bowl and the word coming from this week is that he has natural leadership qualities.  He is a hard hitter and plays under control, and I believe a great replacement for Zibikowski.

ROUND 3:

- Sean Porter, OLB, Texas A&M - Mathis will not be around forever and he would be good for the rotation with him and Anthony Spencer.  Porter was a difference maker when A&M was playing in a 3-4, this year his production dropped but I believe that was because the team switched to a 4-3, if he is here for this pick he makes a lot of sense for the Colts.

ROUND 4:

- Knile Davis, RB, Arkansas - A powerful back, but is slightly injury prone, has proven though when healthy can be a diffence maker, with the colts switching to a power running game he could be perfect to pair with Ballard and have a nice young tandem to grow with our young team.

ROUND 5:

- Malliciah Goodman, DE, Clemson - Powerful defensive end that can work his way into our rotation at defensive end.  Relentless worker and good at setting the edge and stopping the run.

ROUND 6:

- Travis Bond, OG, North Carolina - A big guard that played opposite of Cooper and had a solid year especially in the run game.  Has the potential to be a mauler and can be brought in for competition in camp and help out incase we have injuries along the line.

ROUND 7:

- Keenan Davis, WR, Iowa - At 6'3" 215 lbs. he is a big reciever with some potential and descent production, but where he can really help out is in the run blocking.  He is a more than willing blocker that Pep could appreciate.

Honestly, not a fan. I'd prefer Tharold Simon in the 3rd over Desmond Trufant in the 2nd. We need a good, young OT and the Vikes are not gonna let Phil Loadholt leave. Cyprien might climb the ladder in the 3rd, but I'd prefer a guy like either Philip Thomas or DJ Swearinger over Cyprien. Sean Porter is extremely undersized. Goodman is a good pick, I'll give you that. Not a fan of Bond, he's like Justin Anderson, the guy we got last year, he's prime asset is his size. Other than that, not very valuable. Keenan Davis is a good selection. 

Only way I see Porter fitting in this defense is playing the Mathis/Hughes role, he is not an elite pass rusher at this stage and way overrated by some, for my money if Brandon Jenkins is there in the 3rd I snatch him up but IF he is healthy he could easily be a first round pick and the best pass rusher in the draft

Honestly, not a fan. I'd prefer Tharold Simon in the 3rd over Desmond Trufant in the 2nd. We need a good, young OT and the Vikes are not gonna let Phil Loadholt leave. Cyprien might climb the ladder in the 3rd, but I'd prefer a guy like either Philip Thomas or DJ Swearinger over Cyprien. Sean Porter is extremely undersized. Goodman is a good pick, I'll give you that. Not a fan of Bond, he's like Justin Anderson, the guy we got last year, he's prime asset is his size. Other than that, not very valuable. Keenan Davis is a good selection. 

The Colts don't need just average help at cornerback, I understand he's tall and played in the SEC, but overall he's just slightly above average in my opinion.  Trufant is emerging as a top talent at cornerback and would be a difference maker, I'd be much more willing to spend high on a cornerback than wait til the mid rounds to draft a more average talent.  I do like Thomas and Swearinger as well, I just like Cyprien better.  He showed teams what he could do at the senior bowl and to be honest i think the Colts would be lucky to have him in the third.  And I don't know about your assessment of Porter being extremely undersized, is he undersized yes, but not by a lot.  He is like the new wave of hybrid LB coming into the league, he can rush the passer and is fast enough to cover the TE's in there routes, which I'm not sure if you saw this year but was one of the Colts biggest weakness on defense this year.

But thanks for the comments, I just disagree with some of them.  Overall I think this draft and offseason would fill the majority of the Colts needs and continue to leave us flexible with our cap situation, which will be important to us when our young offense comes off of all there rookie contracts.

Only way I see Porter fitting in this defense is playing the Mathis/Hughes role, he is not an elite pass rusher at this stage and way overrated by some, for my money if Brandon Jenkins is there in the 3rd I snatch him up but IF he is healthy he could easily be a first round pick and the best pass rusher in the draft

Thats what Porter would be playing currently as he learns from Mathis and Spencer.  But I will agree with you, you could exchange Porter for Jenkins and vice versa and I would be just as happy.

Anthony Spencer: overrated, not a top pass rusher, has been a disappointment most of his career in Dallas

Sean Porter: doesn't fit anywhere in a 3-4 at the nfl level

Knile Davis: I like, but he is more than just slightly injury prone...and nothing is worse than a injury prone rb

The Colts don't need just average help at cornerback, I understand he's tall and played in the SEC, but overall he's just slightly above average in my opinion.  Trufant is emerging as a top talent at cornerback and would be a difference maker, I'd be much more willing to spend high on a cornerback than wait til the mid rounds to draft a more average talent.  I do like Thomas and Swearinger as well, I just like Cyprien better.  He showed teams what he could do at the senior bowl and to be honest i think the Colts would be lucky to have him in the third.  And I don't know about your assessment of Porter being extremely undersized, is he undersized yes, but not by a lot.  He is like the new wave of hybrid LB coming into the league, he can rush the passer and is fast enough to cover the TE's in there routes, which I'm not sure if you saw this year but was one of the Colts biggest weakness on defense this year.

But thanks for the comments, I just disagree with some of them.  Overall I think this draft and offseason would fill the majority of the Colts needs and continue to leave us flexible with our cap situation, which will be important to us when our young offense comes off of all there rookie contracts.

Sean Porter is a weak OLB. He doesn't have the strength physcially match OT or OGs and neither does he have the moves to rush by them. He's quick, I'll give you that, but after that, he's not very good. Not to mention, his lack of size will make it difficult for him to TEs like Jared Cook, Owen Daniels, and/or Rob Gronkowski, who are all much bigger, quicker and faster than he is. Simon has ceiling and w/ a DB coach like Pagano, his potential is that of Richard Sherman. Trufant is better now, yes, but no way is he elite, or has the potential to be.