Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Trailer's 2nd Mock

****Indianapolis trades it's 1st round pick for a 2nd, 3rd, and 5th****

1st Round: N/A

2nd Round: Menelik Watson (OT, FSU)--6'6, 320 Pounds. Say what you want about him, but he's got talent, work ethic, and outstanding                                                           quickness. May not have experience, but is a difference-maker when he plays.

3rd Round: Philip Thomas (SS, Fresno St.)--6'1, 215 pounds. Ball-Hawk and a good run defender. Can't ask for more...

3rd Round: Tharold Simon (CB, LSU)--6'3, 190 pounds. If we can get him in the 3rd, this could be a steal. Great size, good in coverage, and can come off the edge in nickel and dime coverage. Physical but uses his finesse. Room for improvement, but with Chuck Pagano as HC, he can become the next Richard Sherman (spare the attitude).

4th Round: Gabe Jackson (OG, Mississippi St.)--6'4, 320 pounds. Great run blocker and pass blocker. Good feet, a bruiser in opening running lanes. Would be a steal in 4th round. If we have to trade a 6th rounder to move up, wouldn't be a bad trade at all...

5th Round: Aaron Mellette (WR, Elon)--6'3, 216 pounds. Outstanding production albeit against weak competition. Great route runner, and has good speed and quickness. Fills the hole for a 2nd WR.

6th Round: Terrence Stephens (DT, Stanford)--6'2, 305 pounds. Nothing more than a value pick.

7th Round: Ray-Ray Armstrong (FS/SS, Faulkner University)--6'4, 220 pounds. 7th round is generally for talented yet bad character guys. That's who Armstrong really is. Has tons of talent, but doesn't translate a whole too well on the field and has off field issues. If, a big IF, Chuck Pagano can fix this guy, he's got the potential to become an outstanding Safety. Could go OL or DL here as well. 

****Indianapolis trades it's 1st round pick for a 2nd, 3rd, and 5th****

1st Round: N/A

2nd Round: Menelik Watson (OT, FSU)--6'6, 320 Pounds. Say what you want about him, but he's got talent, work ethic, and outstanding                                                           quickness. May not have experience, but is a difference-maker when he plays.

3rd Round: Philip Thomas (SS, Fresno St.)--6'1, 215 pounds. Ball-Hawk and a good run defender. Can't ask for more...

3rd Round: Tharold Simon (CB, LSU)--6'3, 190 pounds. If we can get him in the 3rd, this could be a steal. Great size, good in coverage, and can come off the edge in nickel and dime coverage. Physical but uses his finesse. Room for improvement, but with Chuck Pagano as HC, he can become the next Richard Sherman (spare the attitude).

4th Round: Gabe Jackson (OG, Mississippi St.)--6'4, 320 pounds. Great run blocker and pass blocker. Good feet, a bruiser in opening running lanes. Would be a steal in 4th round. If we have to trade a 6th rounder to move up, wouldn't be a bad trade at all...

5th Round: Aaron Mellette (WR, Elon)--6'3, 216 pounds. Outstanding production albeit against weak competition. Great route runner, and has good speed and quickness. Fills the hole for a 2nd WR.

6th Round: Terrence Stephens (DT, Stanford)--6'2, 305 pounds. Nothing more than a value pick.

7th Round: Ray-Ray Armstrong (FS/SS, Faulkner University)--6'4, 220 pounds. 7th round is generally for talented yet bad character guys. That's who Armstrong really is. Has tons of talent, but doesn't translate a whole too well on the field and has off field issues. If, a big IF, Chuck Pagano can fix this guy, he's got the potential to become an outstanding Safety. Could go OL or DL here as well. 

I dont think Phillip homas will be avail in the 3rd. i wish, hough. He's a great safety prop.  Xavier Rhoded in the first!!!!

This might be one of my favorite mock drafts posted here....

Two issues...    no pass rush....    can't have that...

Stephens, the Stanford nose tackle, is more likely to be a FA.    I know he's listed at 6'2" and 305...   I think most Stanford people I know would call that...   very generous...   think he's closer to being under 6'1" and under 300.    Now, he may put on weight for the Stanford pro day in mid-March...   dunno...    but I don't think the Colts want to use a draft pick for an under-sized NT.

I think they want more size....

Otherwise...   I really like this mock draft....   well done!      :thmup:

....so, ive heard that Pat Angerer doesnt fit the 3-4 sceme as he would a 4-3 MLB position. Remember last year, St louis was wanting to give us a second rd pick for Angerer. there are lots and lots of LB's coming in the draft and PLENTY will still be avail in the second. Angerers contract is up next yr too, so that also may fuel trade speculations. and Bethea? yeah, he never has been special, just a tic above average, so theres trade speculation there too...and Conner.....and Freeman(great year means an upgrade in trade worth).....and what about Chapman? i know he hasnt hit the field yet due to injury, but what im saying is next years draft is supposed to be a "GREAT" year....but thats for QB's and RB's ect... however, This year is a draft seemingly custom fit for the Colt's needs. we have a bunch of defensive players that will be F/A's next year...so do we trade them this year and "rebuild and replenish" this year since the draft is so strong for defensive players? I think so. Obviously we dont want to exit all of our LB's, but this draft has So many Quality defensive players that will be in the 2nd and 3rd rounds that would be first rounders next year. So why not? alot of our defense athletes are carried over from a decade of 4-3 cover two style. they dont fit. or so the rumors say... personally, i would trade up this year. the opportunity isnt going to get any better for the Colts specific needs. and SAFETY?! i mean this draft is deeeep in defensive talent!!

....so, ive heard that Pat Angerer doesnt fit the 3-4 sceme as he would a 4-3 MLB position. Remember last year, St louis was wanting to give us a second rd pick for Angerer. there are lots and lots of LB's coming in the draft and PLENTY will still be avail in the second. Angerers contract is up next yr too, so that also may fuel trade speculations. and Bethea? yeah, he never has been special, just a tic above average, so theres trade speculation there too...and Conner.....and Freeman(great year means an upgrade in trade worth).....and what about Chapman? i know he hasnt hit the field yet due to injury, but what im saying is next years draft is supposed to be a "GREAT" year....but thats for QB's and RB's ect... however, This year is a draft seemingly custom fit for the Colt's needs. we have a bunch of defensive players that will be F/A's next year...so do we trade them this year and "rebuild and replenish" this year since the draft is so strong for defensive players? I think so. Obviously we dont want to exit all of our LB's, but this draft has So many Quality defensive players that will be in the 2nd and 3rd rounds that would be first rounders next year. So why not? alot of our defense athletes are carried over from a decade of 4-3 cover two style. they dont fit. or so the rumors say... personally, i would trade up this year. the opportunity isnt going to get any better for the Colts specific needs. and SAFETY?! i mean this draft is deeeep in defensive talent!!

Nice. Here you go Sultan5

1. (TRADE TO ARIZONA)

(2.) Matt Elam or Reid (SS) 

*(2.) Kevin Minter or Khasem Greene (LB)

(3.) Menelik Watson or Dallas Thomas (OL)

3. Da'Rick Rodgers (WR)

4. Jelani Jenkins (LB)

5. Kwame Geathers (NT) & Alvin Bailey (OL)

6. ...

3 levels of defense addressed: S-2LBs-DL and 2 OL & #2 WR

*(Trade): Angerer to St. Louis for 2nd round pick.

FA: Long (OL)

FA: Killeen (DE/OLB) -Already completed.

Nice. Here you go Sultan5

1. (TRADE TO ARIZONA)

*(2.) Kevin Minter or Khasem Greene (LB)

3. Da'Rick Rodgers (WR)

4. Jelani Jenkins (LB)

5. Kwame Geathers (NT) & Alvin Bailey (OL)

6. ...

3 levels of defense addressed: S-2LBs-DL and 2 OL & #2 WR

*(Trade): Angerer to St. Louis for 2nd round pick.

FA: Long (OL)

FA: Killeen (DE/OLB) -Already completed.

Angerer is coming off an unremarkable year that includes a broken foot.    He may,  or may not have had 2nd round value last year,  but there's no way he's got it this year...   he's lost a lot of trade value...

Think we'd be lucky to get a #4 for him, more likely a #5.    Still want to trade him if you can't get that coveted #2??

Angerer is coming off an unremarkable year that includes a broken foot.    He may,  or may not have had 2nd round value last year,  but there's no way he's got it this year...   he's lost a lot of trade value...

Think we'd be lucky to get a #4 for him, more likely a #5.    Still want to trade him if you can't get that coveted #2??

Maybe grab Porter or Bostic (LB) in the 4th RD for Angerer...?

I will be rather disappointed if we come out of this draft without taking a pass rushing OLB of some sort.  My preference would be to try to get Brandon Jenkins in the 3rd.

I'd love to get Jenkins, but the OLB need can be fixed in the offseason. If it isn't then yeah, i'd get Brandon Jenkins in place of Phillip Thomas. But if we do upgrade during the offseason (eg. Paul Kruger, etc), then I'd focus on DBs, since it's hard to find good ones in FA

I dont think Phillip homas will be avail in the 3rd. i wish, hough. He's a great safety prop.  Xavier Rhoded in the first!!!!

As much as I like Rhodes, Tharold Simon's ceiling is not only higher, but his price, in comparison, is cheaper. This draft is loaded with Defensive talent, and the idea is to grab as much as possible... 

This might be one of my favorite mock drafts posted here....

Two issues...    no pass rush....    can't have that...

Stephens, the Stanford nose tackle, is more likely to be a FA.    I know he's listed at 6'2" and 305...   I think most Stanford people I know would call that...   very generous...   think he's closer to being under 6'1" and under 300.    Now, he may put on weight for the Stanford pro day in mid-March...   dunno...    but I don't think the Colts want to use a draft pick for an under-sized NT.

I think they want more size....

Otherwise...   I really like this mock draft....   well done!      :thmup:

I'd prefer to use him as a DT. If Josh Chapman can play next year, he'd be our 3 down NT with McKinney as the backup. Stephens wasn't a play maker at Stanford but he usually got solid pressure on a consistent basis. DT may not be a need, but he can added to the rotation...

value pick would be for example Aaron Mellete in the 6th or Alec Lemon or Dan Buckner Brandon Kaufman or Rodney Smith  in my opinion

Aaron Mellete doesn't make past the 5th. He's just too talented. Also, he has no character issues, so that's a bonus. If he played in the Big-12, Pac-12, ACC, or SEC, he'd be one of the best WRs in the draft (second to only Keenan Allen). 

Nice.

1. (TRADE TO ARIZONA)

3. Da'Rick Rodgers (WR)

4. Jelani Jenkins (OLB)

5. Kwame Geathers (NT)

6. ...

3 levels of defense addressed: S/DB-LB-DL and OL & WR

FA: Long (OL) *Killeen (DE/OLB)

Watson doesn't make it past the mid-2nd. He's too good for that. Neither does Dallas Thomas. Matt Elam would be a great selection, though as NoBody pointed out, DJ Swearinger would be a better value pick than Elam. Also, I prefer Phillip Thomas, simply because he's a better ball hawk than Elam, and has a higher ceiling. 

Honestly, if we can get even a 4th out of him, that's good by me. Moises Fokou and the other stable of ILBs we have were equally if not more effective as Angerer. I'd be keeping my eye on Shayne Skov coming out next year. 6'3, 250 pounds, can't miss talent in my eyes. 

why get an OT when we can get one off of FA??? and we really dont need to draft a WR. last draft was strictly offense except the last 2 rounds when we got chapman and who ever that LB's name was that got picked up by arizona. this draft needs to focus more on defense. we have more holes on defense then we do offense. 

Honestly, if we can get even a 4th out of him, that's good by me. Moises Fokou and the other stable of ILBs we have were equally if not more effective as Angerer. I'd be keeping my eye on Shayne Skov coming out next year. 6'3, 250 pounds, can't miss talent in my eyes. 

Stephens was a 2-down NT for Stanford, known more for plugging the run then getting pressure on a QB.   He was always out on passing downs.    Skov is staying in school one more year.   He needs another year for his knee to fully heal.   One of the most tremendously instinctive LBers you'll see play.   Plays with a real will to win.   If his health returns to 100% he's a true force.

(You seem new, always good to have new fans, I'm only pointing out my background is as a 40-year Stanford fan.  I'm here as a Colts fan now because they drafted Luck.   Other Colts fans here now this,  some (most?) are even sick of it!   :thmup: )

Angerer didn't do much for the Colts this year because he was playing hurt all year.   The broken foot from the 1st game of the Pre-season only healed enough for him to play,  but not play effectively.    Give him a chance to be healthy.   He was a stud his first two years.

Stephens was a 2-down NT for Stanford, known more for plugging the run then getting pressure on a QB.   He was always out on passing downs.    Skov is staying in school one more year.   He needs another year for his knee to fully heal.   One of the most tremendously instinctive LBers you'll see play.   Plays with a real will to win.   If his health returns to 100% he's a true force.

(You seem new, always good to have new fans, I'm only pointing out my background is as a 40-year Stanford fan.  I'm here as a Colts fan now because they drafted Luck.   Other Colts fans here now this,  some (most?) are even sick of it!   :thmup: )

Angerer didn't do much for the Colts this year because he was playing hurt all year.   The broken foot from the 1st game of the Pre-season only healed enough for him to play,  but not play effectively.    Give him a chance to be healthy.   He was a stud his first two years.

Sorry my bad, I was mistaking him with Ben Gardner. My bad...

But yeah, Skov is a beast. If we can get him next year, I say we should. Having him with Jerrel Freeman will, w/o a doubt, give us a ILB core second to only San Fran's (Willis and Bowman). 

Not a fan of Angerer in our new 3-4. He seemed much more comfortable in the 4-3 we ran. Really no point keeping him this year, so might as well trade him for a 3rd or 4th rounder next year. 

why get an OT when we can get one off of FA??? and we really dont need to draft a WR. last draft was strictly offense except the last 2 rounds when we got chapman and who ever that LB's name was that got picked up by arizona. this draft needs to focus more on defense. we have more holes on defense then we do offense. 

O-lineman who make it into FA are usually old, or just suck. There are exceptions (look at last year) but this year, only a few will test FA, and the ones who do, kinda suck. Also, none can compare w/ Watson. Watson can put all of them in their place. None of them are as atheletic nor are they cheap (at least for the next 4 years). Watson is both. And we do need a WR. And we should draft one (FA WRs suck...). And look at my draft, its a combo of needs and BPA. We need a new O-line (Watson and Jackson; also BPA), a new secondary spare Davis and Bethea (Thomas, Simon, and Armstrong; also BPA).  

Sorry my bad, I was mistaking him with Ben Gardner. My bad...

But yeah, Skov is a beast. If we can get him next year, I say we should. Having him with Jerrel Freeman will, w/o a doubt, give us a ILB core second to only San Fran's (Willis and Bowman). 

Not a fan of Angerer in our new 3-4. He seemed much more comfortable in the 4-3 we ran. Really no point keeping him this year, so might as well trade him for a 3rd or 4th rounder next year. 

Hey, no worries...   Gardner will come out next year along with Skov....   he's good...   you'll like him too...

I like the premise of this mock, and I can say thumbs up. As far as individuals selected, I am even fine with that. I am having a hard time loving on the positions filled for ANY mock this year until I can see who we are actually targeting in Free Agency. I am going under the assumption on this draft that we are going after the high dollar edge rushers/other defensive components in free agency.....for me, I would rather go after the low dollar O-Linemen in free agency and draft the rush/defensive players needed.....but until we all know what the free agent acquisitons are this is as good as any I have seen. And in truth free agency will probably be a mix of both, just depends on who Grigs sees as a value talent and chemistry wise......... Good job!

I don't remember anything about St. Louis offering a 2nd for Angerer, not saying they didn't but if they did we should have jumped all over it. Angerer would never draw a 2nd rder. this yr. and St. Louis is switching to a 3-4 defense too so if he don't fit for our 3-4, he won't fit for their 3-4 either.

I don't remember anything about St. Louis offering a 2nd for Angerer, not saying they didn't but if they did we should have jumped all over it. Angerer would never draw a 2nd rder. this yr. and St. Louis is switching to a 3-4 defense too so if he don't fit for our 3-4, he won't fit for their 3-4 either.

I never heard the St. Louis story either....and highly doubt that is true considering they have James Laurinaitis at MLB

Bottom line is we would have to put something in their water to get SL to give up even their 4th for Angerer. People just don't realize how much teams now value their draft picks.

Watson doesn't make it past the mid-2nd. He's too good for that. Neither does Dallas Thomas. Matt Elam would be a great selection, though as NoBody pointed out, DJ Swearinger would be a better value pick than Elam. Also, I prefer Phillip Thomas, simply because he's a better ball hawk than Elam, and has a higher ceiling. 

I enjoy the whole draft process...there will be oops type picks this year that will take up selections. Punters in the #3 (Jacksonville) and 5-10 QBs before round 3.  Reaches, fall-in-love-type selections...  I think a few of these folks will fall.  I think a few RBs will move up into round 2 as well. ~15-17 erroneous selections will lead to good news for the colts.

O-lineman who make it into FA are usually old, or just suck. There are exceptions (look at last year) but this year, only a few will test FA, and the ones who do, kinda suck. Also, none can compare w/ Watson. Watson can put all of them in their place. None of them are as atheletic nor are they cheap (at least for the next 4 years). Watson is both. And we do need a WR. And we should draft one (FA WRs suck...). And look at my draft, its a combo of needs and BPA. We need a new O-line (Watson and Jackson; also BPA), a new secondary spare Davis and Bethea (Thomas, Simon, and Armstrong; also BPA).  

im not really saying watson is bad, honestly i really do not keep up with FSU as i am a Florida fan BUT you could also get Watson in the first round whcih is where Mel Kiper Jr has him projected going is to us in the first round. I also like Xavier Rhodes (CB from FSU) Johnathan Cooper (OG from UNC) and John Jenkins (DT from UGA). either way i dont think the colts could really go wrong in their first pick. just dont see us trading our first rounder for a second and another 3rd rounder. im really hoping we get TJ McDonald or Bacari Rambo in the 3rd though. 

im not really saying watson is bad, honestly i really do not keep up with FSU as i am a Florida fan BUT you could also get Watson in the first round whcih is where Mel Kiper Jr has him projected going is to us in the first round. I also like Xavier Rhodes (CB from FSU) Johnathan Cooper (OG from UNC) and John Jenkins (DT from UGA). either way i dont think the colts could really go wrong in their first pick. just dont see us trading our first rounder for a second and another 3rd rounder. im really hoping we get TJ McDonald or Bacari Rambo in the 3rd though. 

If we select either of Watson, Rhodes, or Cooper, I'll be fine with that. But if we select John "needs to lose weight" Jenkins, I will egg Ryan Grigson's window. Seriously, look at the tape, he's beyond overrated. 

I am sorry I cant even read past your first sentence. Because I have heard a handful of people say Angerer cant play the 3-4 and it sets a mental fire of frustration off in me......In a do you know? moment I will say again for the umpteenth time.......Do you know he needed surgery on his foot? He opted to save surgery for the off season and played pumped full of pain meds, hence why his plays were limited, hence why he didnt look as crisp.....(and he still outplayed Kavell Conner at the end of the season to take his starting spot)........to those of you wanting to dump him, it would be the dumbest thing in the world for the Colts to do......They are set at ILB with Freeman, Angerer, and Conner we need improvement at  10 other positions (taking Bethea, Mathis and Reddings age into account) and if you agree Davis is fine as our #1 DB.  HUUUUUUUGE mistake to get rid of Angerer.....he will be a monster for someone else, to let what little we have go not smart in my opinion......its the defensive equivalent to saying lets get rid of Luck.......