Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Article: How far is Luck from Elite? ( from B/R)

esmort

I would definitely say there is such a thing as "clutch". Yes all of these players don't always deliver but what makes a player clutch is delievering a good majority of the time in crucial situations. Manning did it countless time in the regular season and delivered in the biggest game of his career (06' AFC Championship). Steve Young performed at a level in the biggest game of them all that put him right up there with his predecessor in Joe Montana. Adam Vinateri comes to mind as well. And players like Tony Romo come to mind to prove the idea of a anti-clutch.

Clutch is a very real factor that simply can't be measured by these "advanced stats" guys like Nate Dunleavy. It doesn't mean however that it doesn't exist.

First off fair warning this is an article from Bleacher Report by Nate Dunlevy.

Thanks for the warning. I never waste my time with the Bleacher Report. A complete journalistic exercise in futility. I did read the feedback from all my blogger friends who are much better writers & more relevant in their reasoning than this author is.

doogie howser > mozart > unitas > gary coleman

No, no, no. Mozart was way better. He had artistry in the pocket, composed in the no huddle, had a classic throwing motion, and re-wrote the history books. He was also a hoot in 'sounds of the game. Only Doug 'The Magic' Flutie comes anywhere close to our Wolfgang... 

How far from Elite?

I`ll estimate after about 900-1000 more Game pass attempts.

He clearly has the "Clutch Gene", he just needs to improve his arm strength a little, keep that spiral tight more consistently, and get "in better time" with his receivers. Usually Late & off target. He wasn`t throwing BB`s.

He was pretty lame at doing his checkdowns and had trouble hitting them when he did.

Season two will be all about improving his short game.

An Excellent progression on the path to building at least one Elite MONSTER.

If this season was his starting point and he improves with experience in the league I am fine with that, call that  whatever you want its a "media" label and doesnt effect the play on the field whatsoever....clutch, elite....whatever I just want more of the glimpses we saw this season and like Charlie Sheen we can call that #WINNING.

I agree there is no such thing as a clutcth player..or clucth gene..that's something we create as fans

Guys like Miller missed the final shot more often than they made it...so did Jordan

Tom Brady and Peyton Manning throw interceptions and loses..

They are still great...

....If a guy cant perform under pressure he doenst reach the professional level..

Some players are just better than others and that's what you see in clutch situtaions.

Andrew Luck..He has to play 3 or 4 years before he can be considered elite....He's just a rookie

I cannot agree with this.  I do not believe in a "clutch" gene but there is some validity to the term.   Being clutch does not mean that you have to hit every shot at the end of the game.  It just means that you have a much higher chance of making it given the situation.

Yes all professional players can perform well under pressure.  Having said that, some players can perform better under pressure than others.  If Kobe and Lebron were on the same team who would you want to take the game winning shot at the buzzer?  Both are among the best of the best but clearly you would want Kobe to take the shot.

I agree there is no such thing as a clutcth player..or clucth gene..that's something we create as fans

Guys like Miller missed the final shot more often than they made it...so did Jordan

Tom Brady and Peyton Manning throw interceptions and loses..

They are still great...

....If a guy cant perform under pressure he doenst reach the professional level..

Some players are just better than others and that's what you see in clutch situtaions.

Andrew Luck..He has to play 3 or 4 years before he can be considered elite....He's just a rookie

What about Romo? Grossman?  V, Young?  Sanchez?  etc…………..

I agree that there is not a “clutch” gene. However some people perform better under pressure than others. Some people can focus more when it is do or die and succeed. Granted they may only succeed 50% of the time but the rest of us would fail 100% of the time. Imo someone that can succeed in pressure situations is clutch. That is my definition anyway.

Also I agree that it will take a few years of high level performance before we can call Andrew elite. Not that he can’t be. I just want to make sure that he can continue to repeat his good play year in and year out.  

I think the only reason players want to be called elite is because they want the elite paycheck that goes along with it.  I don't care if people want to call Andrew elite now, later, or never at all.  As long as he is a consistent winner and this team has opportunities to make things happen in the postseason that's all I can ever ask of him as a fan.

To say Peyton played with an equally horrible O line might be true but Peyton also had 13 seasons under the same system with familiar WR`s. He could make the throws with his eyes closed or ...before the defense could ever get to him. Luck was a rookie, with no OTA`s and a total new offense to learn with unfamiliar WR`s who also were learning a new offense. Not taking away anything from Peyton but there`s no comparison! Experience alone will make Luck elite, the rest is already there

Wouldn't a clutch QB always win every game then?  Wouldn't a clutch QB always beat his non clutch rivals?  When Brady wins he is clutch?  When Brady loses, he is _____?  What?  Non clutch?  How can he be both?  How can he be clutch and lose important games?  Contradictory.    

I'm not 100% sure on this, but it might be most comeback wins in season by ANY quarterback,   not just rookie.

Anyone know for sure??

He's tied for first, but that does not take into account the week 3 loss to the Jags when he drove down the field to get the lead with less then a min left.  If it wasn't for a defensinve blunder he'd have the record to himself.