Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rehash of the wildcard game

theanarchist

I don't know why. Maybe its that fact that we may have lost a winnable game to the eventual super bow champs? But I feel the need to post about this game and give credit where credit is due. I think there is a feeling around us Colts fans of satisfaction that we just made it that far and were happy to be in the playoffs. But as I look back on that game now I have a different perspective:

1) We had a number of chances to put ourselve in position to win that game. We drove into the redzone a number of times and came up empty. Credit the Ravens for stiffening when they had to.

2) Andrew Luck played one heck of a game in my opinion. I said it that day also. He was under constant pressure on almost every drop back. Yet he threaded the needle into a lot of tight spaces and made throws that only the true top qb's in the NFL were going to make.

3) The defense played well enough to win the game. Yes, I said it. They did have some breakdowns at a couple of critical times but they played solid against what now looks like the hottest team in football. There's no denying that in today's NFL the team with the hot hand at this time of year ususally wins the Super Bowl regardless of their regular season record. How many times have we seen the #1 and #2 seeds falter in recent history in the NFL. Plenty. So, to do the job they did against the Ravens I think was a solid effort.

The point I want to make I guess is that yes it was great to make into the playoffs. But we were closer than a lot of people give us credit for, including us fans.

Also, I'd like to make an observation about the defense this year. I read a lot of posts about the defense not being improved from the old regime. The thing I thought was better about our defense this year was that we appeared to be making more stops on 3rd down. In  years past our defense was really bad at making stops on 3rd down. I may be wrong but it sure appeared to me that our defense was much better in that regard this year.

Cant wait for next season!

Initially after the game I was mad about loosing, but if I reconsider the game now, calmed, I must say, we played well, still a lot of mistakes killed us...I'm thinking of dropped passes, missed FG, blown coverage on Baldin (I don1t want to put all blame on Vaughn, but his performance contributed largely to our loss, he gave up a lot of yards and 1 TD).

Fixing O-line is a must and we need some depth.

I expect new offensive philosophy will be based on shorter, effective passive, but I hope we won't trash long-pass play calls when short of time (2min> drives), and running plays will also support Luck.

I don't know why. Maybe its that fact that we may have lost a winnable game to the eventual super bow champs? But I feel the need to post about this game and give credit where credit is due. I think there is a feeling around us Colts fans of satisfaction that we just made it that far and were happy to be in the playoffs. But as I look back on that game now I have a different perspective:

1) We had a number of chances to put ourselve in position to win that game. We drove into the redzone a number of times and came up empty. Credit the Ravens for stiffening when they had to.

2) Andrew Luck played one heck of a game in my opinion. I said it that day also. He was under constant pressure on almost every drop back. Yet he threaded the needle into a lot of tight spaces and made throws that only the true top qb's in the NFL were going to make.

3) The defense played well enough to win the game. Yes, I said it. They did have some breakdowns at a couple of critical times but they played solid against what now looks like the hottest team in football. There's no denying that in today's NFL the team with the hot hand at this time of year ususally wins the Super Bowl regardless of their regular season record. How many times have we seen the #1 and #2 seeds falter in recent history in the NFL. Plenty. So, to do the job they did against the Ravens I think was a solid effort.

Cant wait for next season!

I agree with you on points 1&2 completely and to some extent number 3. I was impressed with the job the D did on Ray Rice, but the failure to try and offset the constant deep ball threat proved our downfall. Tough I know when you have Vaughan as a corner I know. Did make me feel better somewhat when they did the exact same thing to the Broncos! 

I know we had that game. I was just mad at how people were blaming Butler for getting scored on by Boldin as a reason we loss. You can't expect for your 3rd String CB to come off the Bench and play well against a WR who Vaughn let get Hot. If we benched Vaughn at half or even the 1st snap of the game, I think a few plays would've been different imo

Someone chose to play Vaughn ahead of Butler and Satelle ahead of Shipley.

Ballard killed us with terrible pass blocking 2-3 times.

3-4 tough catches that were not made.

Very typical of the regular season games.

But so many big Clutch plays all season long.

Indeed, and 100% Amazing, our Newborn Colts made the Playoffs.

Have to feel really good about the Reestablishment of the High Character & Winning Team Effort of our Franchise.

And i do agree that Reggie, Dwight, Mathis' Leadership was Instrumental to a focused & winning positive TEAM environment.

We will reap the rewards of their presence for many years to come.

Most of my concerns have been addressed.

O line has to give Luck more than 1 second to throw the ball. They have to get better at pickin up the blitz. Our running backs also have to learn to pick up the blitz too.

We are not getting any push up the middle from out nose tackle, which makes it much more difficult for our outside pass rushers.

We still need a better CB to play opposite of David.

Luck has to learn to put a little more touch on his short throws. I know the receivers have to learn to handle balls thrown a little too hard, it seemed to me that on a few short throws, Andrew threw the balls so hard that the receivers don't have quite enough time to react. That very well maybe that the pressure was forcing him to get rid of the ball faster than he wanted to, but I think he could stand to practice a little softer touch with short throws.

As I watched that game, I just settled into the realization that the Ravens were a better team than the Colts. Since then, I've been a little encouraged by the fact that the Ravens were also better than the Broncos & Patriots. There is no glory in losing to the best, but there may be some hope in it.

The Ravens were the team a lot of us wanted to play..and we held them to 24 points...

I have to admit I'm still not of the mind that 'well, we overachieved anyway,

We gained 400 yards and Joe Flacco completed 12 passes..all day...

..There wasn 't that much difference in the 2 teams...

.....I think it was an opportunity missed....

I juts hope we return to the playoffs sometime soon...You never know...

NYGs..world champs one year...on the outside looking in the next

Baltimore clearly isnt the best team in the AFC

Good analysis OP.

We have been constantly killed by the deep pass. I remember seeing at least one 30+ pass in almost every game.

In the old regime, I don't remember getting killed by the deep ball that often, but you take the good with the bad.

Especially with a defense that was suited to play in a cover 2 rather than an attacking 3-4.

I feel like Boldin was the difference in that game.   Flacco throws the ball up for grabs and Boldin goes up to get it.   Take away a couple Boldin catches and it's a very different game.  I don't really blame Vaughn or Butler for some of those.. just a great effort by Boldin.

As disappointed as I was with the loss, had we won.....the Pats probably are in the SB right now. We would have lost @ Denver most likely (or would we have played NE? doesnt matter, we would have lost that one too) setting up the Pats/Broncos game. I think the Pats win that one, especially after seeing how Baltimore exposed their D. Baltimore was the right team to play NE, and their D stopped the Pats cold. They were a tough matchup bc of their physical D and resurgent passing game. They got hot, and looking back I feel better about the game. It was a gravy year just making the playoffs. But let's be honest. We weren't going to the SB. And the last thing I wanted to see was Tommy in another one. I am damn proud of what the Colts accomplished this season, no doubt. But if anything we played an indirect role in preventing NE from another SB shot, and I am cool with that