Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Crude offseason details. The Indianapolis Cardinal

I'm going to make a fast and vague offseason mock.

In free agency we fix the OL.

-RT Sebastian Vollmer

-OG Louis Vasquez

-OG Matt Slauson

And upgrade some spots on defense. OLB, S, CB, DE.

And get a surehanded #2 WR. Doesn't have to be someone like Bowe, could just be a stopgap veteran. Someone who fits the WCO. Greg Jennings is an great fit and good option, albeit an expensive one considering his age.

-Round 1

Defense. Any high upside guy from a position listed above that Pagano can make into a star.

-Round 3

Stepfan Taylor: RB Stanford.

Spare me the jokes about becoming the new Stanford (another of Luck's former teammates to come). Stepfan Taylor has Frank Gore/Doug Martin potential. I love Vick Ballard, and he will get a chance to keep his starting spot, split carries with Taylor, or maybe just be an occasional relief guy.

-Round 4

See round 1. Draft somewhere we haven't filled in FA or round 1. Jonathan Cypien or Datone Jones would be nice options here.

-Round 6

Sam Schwartzstein- C Stanford

I was not a fan of Fleener. I thought the chemistry aspect was overrated. While I was partially right there, Coby will be greatly improved this year, but I'm getting off topic; back to Sam. My point was I want him not just for chemistry with Luck (that's just gravy) but because we know he fits Stanford's scheme, and centers are great late picks, as they are very undervalued.

-Round 7

Any high upside defender Pagano sees has potential. Maybe Robert Lester- who has driven his stock into the ground during Senior Bowl practices. Seems lazy without Saban screaming at him to motivate him. Maybe Pagano is just what he needs. Margus Hunt has also shown badly, but probably doesn't make it here. Is valuable if for nothing but his kick blocking ability. Tyrann Mathieu is another option. You get the point.

I'm sure to get flack for this. Bring it on. I would love this, as we have a good OL with potential to be great after gelling, two good running backs to share the load (unless Taylor is as good as I hope)

I'm going to make a fast and vague offseason mock.

In free agency we fix the OL.

-RT Sebastian Vollmer

-OG Louis Vasquez

-OG Matt Slauson

And upgrade some spots on defense. OLB, S, CB, DE.

And get a surehanded #2 WR. Doesn't have to be someone like Bowe, could just be a stopgap veteran. Someone who fits the WCO. Greg Jennings is an great fit and good option, albeit an expensive one considering his age.

-Round 1

Defense. Any high upside guy from a position listed above that Pagano can make into a star.

-Round 3

Stepfan Taylor: RB Stanford.

Spare me the jokes about becoming the new Stanford (another of Luck's former teammates to come). Stepfan Taylor has Frank Gore/Doug Martin potential. I love Vick Ballard, and he will get a chance to keep his starting spot, split carries with Taylor, or maybe just be an occasional relief guy.

-Round 4

See round 1. Draft somewhere we haven't filled in FA or round 1. Jonathan Cypien or Datone Jones would be nice options here.

-Round 6

Sam Schwartzstein- C Stanford

I was not a fan of Fleener. I thought the chemistry aspect was overrated. While I was partially right there, Coby will be greatly improved this year, but I'm getting off topic; back to Sam. My point was I want him not just for chemistry with Luck (that's just gravy) but because we know he fits Stanford's scheme, and centers are great late picks, as they are very undervalued.

-Round 7

Any high upside defender Pagano sees has potential. Maybe Robert Lester- who has driven his stock into the ground during Senior Bowl practices. Seems lazy without Saban screaming at him to motivate him. Maybe Pagano is just what he needs. Margus Hunt has also shown badly, but probably doesn't make it here. Is valuable if for nothing but his kick blocking ability. Tyrann Mathieu is another option. You get the point.

I'm sure to get flack for this. Bring it on. I would love this, as we have a good OL with potential to be great after gelling, two good running backs to share the load (unless Taylor is as good as I hope)

Nice post Nobody..

Taylor is a very good back, and wouldn't be a bad pickup..There are two other RB's that could be had in this or later rounds..Kenjon Barner of Oregon, and a sleeper, who's starting to turn heads..Jonathan Franklin out of UCLA. Any one of these three would definitely help in depth and give Ballard a break...both have good hands, Franklin is a better blocker, but Barner is more of a break away threat..

Also hearing a lot of good things about Jones improving his stock as well..

I'm definitely watching these guys in the Senior Bowl...

I don't know, man.  I see so many people throw out that we'll sign the best RT (Volmer) and OG (Vasquez) in FA.  How many other teams want to do that?  In the end, those guys usually end up being franchised or re-signed by their current clubs.  Honestly, retaining Vasquez has to be SD's priority #1, since the rest of their line stunk!  And when's the last time a player willingly left NE?  Successful Patriot players usually want to stay, even if it means taking less money.  To me, I think there are three or four RTs that would fix the position for us: 1) Volmers, 2) Loadholt, 3) Brandon Albert, and 4) maybe Gosder Cherilus.  At OG, after Vasquez, you've got Brandon Moore, who's been a NYJ his whole career and doesn't seem to want to go anywhere (and the NYJ would be nuts to let him leave).  I think Donald Thomas might leave the Pats for an opportunity to start somewhere, and Ramon Foster might leave the Steelers because Roethlesberger's a jerk.  My point is: I doubt we can just open up the purse and buy a championship OL this year in FA. 

I do agree, however, that we will try to dramatically improve the OL in FA by bringing in a new starting RT and RG, and we'll spend most of the draft on defense.  The first round might be interesting.  I'd have my eye on Alex Okafor as a good replacement for Freeney, but if he's gone, the only defenders I think would be worth the pick are those safeties (Elam and Vaccaro).  However, it's such a deep safety class that I could see maybe passing that position off to the 3rd or 4th round and picking up an OL in the 1st.  Someone like Barrett Jones or Jonathan Cooper would be an upgrade over any guard (or possibly center) on the roster...

I really don't want to take a RB in the 3rd round.  I'd be perfectly fine waiting until round 5 or later, where we got Ballard.  I think our picks in rounds 1 and 3 should be 2 of the following, OL, pass rusher, CB or a pass rushing 3/5 tech Dlineman, depending on what we do in FA.  

I really don't want to take a RB in the 3rd round. I'd be perfectly fine waiting until round 5 or later, where we got Ballard. I think our picks in rounds 1 and 3 should be 2 of the following, OL, pass rusher, CB or a pass rushing 3/5 tech Dlineman, depending on what we do in FA.

I agree, but would go a step farther. I'm fine if the Colts decide to draft a RB, but with all the positions of need on the team, I'd rather keep it to UDFAs or not at all this year, focus instead on the trenches, and see what the guys we have can do behind a better line.

I agree, but would go a step farther. I'm fine if the Colts decide to draft a RB, but with all the positions of need on the team, I'd rather keep it to UDFAs or not at all this year, focus instead on the trenches, and see what the guys we have can do behind a better line.

agreed...though I will say one exception would be if Marcus Lattimore were still available in the 4th when we pick, AND if the assumption is he has returned to full health or is close to it then I wouldn't at all mind taking him in the 4th or later.

agreed...though I will say one exception would be if Marcus Lattimore were still available in the 4th when we pick, AND if the assumption is he has returned to full health or is close to it then I wouldn't at all mind taking him in the 4th or later.

After 2 blown knees? Wouldn't touch that kid with a ten foot pole...ok, maybe a 7th

Let the record show that me -- the Stanford fan --  doesn't think Stepfan is worth Indy spending a 3 on him....

And I certainly don't think Sam Schwartzstein is worth Indy spending a 6 on him....

Too high for me.    SS is likely going to be available as a FA.

Lester maybe having a bad senior bowl but he won't fall to the 7th....   not even close, unless there are other issues at play.

Same for Margus Hunt...  his only problem is that he's raw and lacks experience.    But his physical talents are undeniable.

He won't get past day 2, (3rd round) unless there are other issues that are unknown to fans...

After 2 blown knees? Wouldn't touch that kid with a ten foot pole...ok, maybe a 7th

Which is why I specifically clarified by saying: 

7th is drastic. I just saw something that said he's hoping to be ready by season's start.

of course he is thats what anyone with an injury would say and he might be, but at 100 percent?, My opinion is if someone wanted to take him early then it should be someone with a running back thats a little up in age but still is productive that way even if he is not ready you already have a guy thats producing and give Lattimore the year to recover or however long and then go from there, but certainly not worth drafting high otherwise in my opinion, Nice potential in that case but Im not one to draft off potential, I can name alot of guys who have potential but not the production to warrant a 1st round pick

And obviously I disagreed by saying I wouldn't touch him until the 7th...which is practically a udfa. But thanks for the bold underlying

Yes you did, but you also simply said "after 2 blown knees" possibly not taking into account the possibility he could return to 100%.  I was merely again clarifying I would only spend an earlier pick on him if reports of his rehab were favorable to him returning to 100% pre-injury form.  

So, and I'm only asking out of curiosity, if he were medically cleared as being 100% even prior to the draft, you still wouldn't take him with anything earlier than a 7th round pick?

Yes you did, but you also simply said "after 2 blown knees" possibly not taking into account the possibility he could return to 100%.  I was merely again clarifying I would only spend an earlier pick on him if reports of his rehab were favorable to him returning to 100% pre-injury form.  

So, and I'm only asking out of curiosity, if he were medically cleared as being 100% even prior to the draft, you still wouldn't take him with anything earlier than a 7th round pick?

No