Smonroe

Do you want Revis (poll)  

156 members have voted

1. 1. while still paying a fair price to get him

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to ESPN New York, Darrelle Revis is "believed" to be seeking $16 million annually and $60 million guaranteed on his next contract.

For perspective, Mario Williams signed a contract last March paying him $16 million per year but with "only" $50 million guaranteed. It made him the highest paid defensive player in league history. New Jets GM John Idzik met with his All-Pro cornerback on Friday, but was noncommittal on Revis' future at his introductory press conference, which speaks volumes. The Jets only have Revis signed through 2013. Mired in the worst salary cap situation in football, the Jets simply won't be able to pay the man.

That's a fortune! I don't know he is worth THAT money, however earlier I said we should get him for the right prise.

Colts Insiders ‏@ColtsInsiders

Picking up some chatter that the #Colts have indeed contacted the #Jets to explore the option of aquiring Darrelle Revis.

:mindblow:  :oops:

If true......

Due diligence by Grigson?

Sigh.

Well I already said no to the idea but whatever happens this offseason I keep saying to myself, "In Grigson I trust........."

If you can get Revis, you go get Revis. It's that simple. Superstar CBs aren't found as easily as OLmen. OLmen are much cheaper too so this idea that extending Revis will kill our ability to add talent elsewhere is nonsense. Revis is easily the biggest impact player to change teams this off season (if he does). The injury is nonsense too. This guy is working his butt off to get paid. This isn't 1992, rehab technology has changed dramatically. If he isn't 100% the player he was, at worst he's 98%. It's worth risking a 20something pick for.

Also I want to point out Grigson had a hand in many of Philly's splash moves over the past few years. Vick, Nnamdi, Cullen Jenkins. Grigson will gamble. Seperate your hearts & your heads.

He may have had a hand, but we don't know how much input/weight his opinion mattered. I do know that his opinion matters now, and so far I'm happy. Until I see otherwise, In Grigs I Trust.

No they are not. Revis at 75% is still a top 5 corner in the league. At 100% he's the best defensive player in the league.

So what you're saying is; Revis running a 5.3 40 (Defensive Lineman speed) is better than healthy, younger, more cost effective studs.  Revis @ 75% is still on IR.

So what you're saying is; Revis running a 5.3 40 (Defensive Lineman speed) is better than healthy, younger, more cost effective studs.  Revis @ 75% is still on IR.

No DB coming out of this draft has anywhere near the talent or ability that Revis does. If Revis is even a little bit worse than he was before the injury he's still one of the best defenders in the league. If he's up to full speed he's the best defender in the game.

No DB coming out of this draft has anywhere near the talent or ability that Revis does. If Revis is even a little bit worse than he was before the injury he's still one of the best defenders in the league. If he's up to full speed he's the best defender in the game.

Agreed. However, what we know is that he is hurt. He is expensive $ & Draft picks. He has not played big boy football in over a year...We have a younger team... And we need this draft... So, when all things are considered.   (Banks) or (Amerson)  > (Revis, $$$$$ & uncertain health...picks) is a correct logical statement.

Agreed. However, what we know is that he is hurt. He is expensive $ & Draft picks. He has not played big boy football in over a year...We have a younger team... And we need this draft... So, when all things are considered.   (Banks) or (Amerson)  > (Revis, $$$$$ & uncertain health...picks) is a correct logical statement.

Darrell Revis is the Peyton Manning of defense and he's only 27. $16 mill is absurd but nobody is going to pay him that. Wasting a first round pick on an uncertain player who may or may not pan out in the NFL is just as much a risk as signing the best defender in the league coming of a knee injury that players have bounced back from a lot in the past 5 years. With Revis you get what you pay for. I guess we can agree to disagree.

As much as I would be for getting Revis I would spend just a tad more and get Sean Smith/Dashon Goldson. That would keep the secondary young and also put some more physicality in the secondary. I know Smith had a down year but much like Vontae before he was traded Sean had to adjust to a different defense. Yes, he had a down year but I would love to get him here with Pagano and back in press coverage with Vontae.

I would be happy with a pass on Reed/Revis for Smith/Goldson.

i know people don't wanna pay the money the for it but why not? Instead of waiting for a cb to develop we have the chance to get the best cb in the game. 

Because no CB is worth 16 million a yr.. Not worth even close to that. Not to mention the fact that he's coming off a serious knee injury and nobody knows how well he will come back from it. Yeah, a lot of players make it back to close to what they were before, but there are also others that never get back to where they were before. To give up picks and then have to give him a whopping contract on top of that is absolutely foolish for a team in the Colts position IMO. 

Darrell Revis is the Peyton Manning of defense and he's only 27. $16 mill is absurd but nobody is going to pay him that. Wasting a first round pick on an uncertain player who may or may not pan out in the NFL is just as much a risk as signing the best defender in the league coming of a knee injury that players have bounced back from a lot in the past 5 years. With Revis you get what you pay for. I guess we can agree to disagree.

Agreed...to disagree. Go Colts

If the Colts were in a different division I might see some sense to it but the South doesn't exactly scare me as far as passing game. Defensive front is more important.

It's not just the passing game with Revis though. Him being out on an island allows for one of our safeties to play down in the box giving better run support.

I'm all for getting another corner, but NOT shelling out the picks, players, and $$$ it will require to get Revis.  We don't need another #1.  We need a solid #2 who isn't so easily picked on, and a pass rush.

exactly... even though the topic post says "at a fair price".... that price would be too steep IMO... its a close call, though IMO... he is a great player, but he is only one player and the knee is a concern as well.

I don't think that there is a guy in the draft with Revis-like potential, but you have to do a cost benefit analysis that includes the draft pick(s) and his likely contract. I do think that one great player is worth countless mediocre ones, but if you can get a gem at #24 for what 3.5 mil. or something it does a lot to keep us under the cap in the future compared to signing a guy with a huge contract. However, there are creative ways to negotiate contracts that may alleviate some of the pain... I'm sure there must be a mathematical formula somewhere that can provide some sort of clarity to the issue, but it comes down to what you need to build a team... I'm not saying that you don't need great players to build a great team, but you can have a top 5 secondary without a top 5 corner or safety on it... This really is a tough one... glad I don't have to decide these things, but I'd be leaning toward not trading for him.

If we can land Revis without giving up the farm (considering we have to also pay him a ridiculous amount of money)....get him.

I somehow see the Jets asking a ridiculous price though which will scare off alot of teams.