Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Should we get Revis? [Merge]

Smonroe

Do you want Revis (poll)  

156 members have voted

1. 1. while still paying a fair price to get him

Hey, I just figured out that you can vote Yes AND No on the poll (from my ipad). That's exactly how I feel!

Thanks to whomever created the poll. Now I don't think a dumber thread was made even dumberer by adding a poll to it.

How is this a dumb thread? We have a glaring hole at CB and it just so happens that the best one in the league just went on the market.

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a great player coming off a injury, with a big contract, and a free agent the next year. the jets will never get much for him. i don't see any team offering more than a 3rd for him. i don't know if i would give up a 3rd for him. if he turns out to be as good as he was, it would cost a ton of money to resign him in a year. i would rather spend the money ona couple o-linemen.

The Jets are 20 mil over the cap so they have to trade Revis to clear cap space. The only teams  with enough cap space.that can afford Revis at about 8 mil a year is the Colts,Dolphins,or Browns. I doubt the Jets would trade him within the division and the Browns are already paying Haden 8 mil a year. I think we have the best chance to get him probably would cost us a 3rd this year and 2nd next year. No team is going to pay a 1st for Revis, Marshall and Moss were both traded for 3rd round picks. Getting Revis would make us one of the top 4 seeds in the afc he can shutdown an entire side of the field. Quarterbacks will be forced to throw it to Vontae side and he would have a lot of in'ts. I have no doubt that grigson is trying everything he can to get Revis.

The Jets are 20 mil over the cap so they have to trade Revis to clear cap space. The only teams  with enough cap space.that can afford Revis at about 8 mil a year is the Colts,Dolphins,or Browns. I doubt the Jets would trade him within the division and the Browns are already paying Haden 8 mil a year. I think we have the best chance to get him probably would cost us a 3rd this year and 2nd next year. No team is going to pay a 1st for Revis, Marshall and Moss were both traded for 3rd round picks. Getting Revis would make us one of the top 4 seeds in the afc he can shutdown an entire side of the field. Quarterbacks will be forced to throw it to Vontae side and he would have a lot of in'ts. I have no doubt that grigson is trying everything he can to get Revis.

This isn't a cap space saving move. As a matter of fact, trading or releasing Revis results in a $12m cap penalty for the Jets in 2013 (his contract had an $18m option bonus due in 2011, and that gets amortized evenly over the last six years of the contract; trading or releasing accelerates the remaining portion of that bonus that hasn't been amortized yet.) His cap hit as it stands is $9m in 2013. This move would cost them an extra $3m in cap space. The Jets motivation is to get something for him before he becomes a free agent.

Also, I think Revis is going to demand more than $8m/year on his new contract. I think it's going to be at least $12m/year, maybe more. Not outrageous for a player of his caliber, but it's a big difference. You go from three years, $24m to three years, $36m. There's also the issue of bonuses and guarantees, which can make it prohibitive to get out of the contract if necessary.

That's before you even get to the draft picks the Jets want in return. You have probably the best in the league at a high-value position, in his prime, on the trade block. We gave up a second for Davis. I figure it's going to cost significantly more to get Revis.

This isn't a cap space saving move. As a matter of fact, trading or releasing Revis results in a $12m cap penalty for the Jets in 2013 (his contract had an $18m option bonus due in 2011, and that gets amortized evenly over the last six years of the contract; trading or releasing accelerates the remaining portion of that bonus that hasn't been amortized yet.) His cap hit as it stands is $9m in 2013. This move would cost them an extra $3m in cap space. The Jets motivation is to get something for him before he becomes a free agent.

Also, I think Revis is going to demand more than $8m/year on his new contract. I think it's going to be at least $12m/year, maybe more. Not outrageous for a player of his caliber, but it's a big difference. You go from three years, $24m to three years, $36m. There's also the issue of bonuses and guarantees, which can make it prohibitive to get out of the contract if necessary.

That's before you even get to the draft picks the Jets want in return. You have probably the best in the league at a high-value position, in his prime, on the trade block. We gave up a second for Davis. I figure it's going to cost significantly more to get Revis.

Actually, I heard he's looking for $16M a year. Yes, he's a game changer, but IMHO it's a huge risk given his injury history.

Even if it's at 12 mil a year which i doubt lets just say it's 10 mil it'll be still worth it. Revis is one of the Top 10 players in the nfl that's including QB's he can change an offense entire gameplan because he always shutdown the teams best wr. As great as he is he will not cost any team a 1st because they would have to pay him 10 mil a year. I can guarantee you that grigson has already made an offer to the jets GM. We were a cb away from beating the ravens and possibly upsetting the broncos.

Even if it's at 12 mil a year which i doubt lets just say it's 10 mil it'll be still worth it. Revis is one of the Top 10 players in the nfl that's including QB's he can change an offense entire gameplan because he always shutdown the teams best wr. As great as he is he will not cost any team a 1st because they would have to pay him 10 mil a year. I can guarantee you that grigson has already made an offer to the jets GM. We were a cb away from beating the ravens and possibly upsetting the broncos.

smh, we were more than a CB away, we barely even scored in that game lol

His current contract is essentially going to void to four years, $46m. Why would he, in his prime, be agreeing to a deal with a $10m/year average? It's very likely going to be north of $12m/year.

His current contract is essentially going to void to four years, $46m. Why would he, in his prime, be agreeing to a deal with a $10m/year average? It's very likely going to be north of $12m/year.

from what I've read, Revis wants to be one of the highest paid players in history.

He could be a gamechanger or he could be a shell of his former self. I think Pagano can build up a team with less and get them to believe in his defensive schemes. If Revis gets dealt I see him being a thorn in the side of the team that acquires him.

I heard that as well. I can't imagine him getting that much. Just ridiculous.

Two words: Albert Haynesworth.

I'm not saying Revis is that kind of player. I'm just saying that as long as there are Daniel Snyders and Jerry Jones's in the league, someone will pay him. If anyone thinks we can get him for a trade and then redo his contract for under 12-14M, they need to be tested.

And to make matters worse, do we know he's the same player?

If he does what he did to the Jets then I say No. In two different years he wanted to renegotiate his contract and refused to come to training camp. Because he did not train properly he got a hamstring pulled and was not available or ineffective for at least half season.  Last year he tore his ACL. Maybe Jets realized that when everything is put in balance he is not worth keeping. Also Eagles created a huge buzz when they got Asomungha and Cromartie the younger. Where did that take them? Asomugha has been disappointing. 

I don't get a good vibe about this.

Two words: Albert Haynesworth.

I'm not saying Revis is that kind of player. I'm just saying that as long as there are Daniel Snyders and Jerry Jones's in the league, someone will pay him. If anyone thinks we can get him for a trade and then redo his contract for under 12-14M, they need to be tested.

And to make matters worse, do we know he's the same player?

Yeah, good point. Still, that's nuts.

Can you guarantee me some prove of that? Because I highly  h-i-g-h-l-y  H-I-G-H-L-Y doubt if he has. For one thing, I don't even think it would be allowed for him to make an offer now.

Video of Revis in off man and press man coverage on albeit Jets WRs

Notes:

- Doesn't appear to be going all out as much as the wide outs

- Very disciplined in his technique

- A lot of contact on receivers 

- Uses the sideline as defender

(Put the film in context of a game involving defensive pressure and down/distance to go and i don't see many completions being made)

This guy is NOT their cast off! They can't afford to keep him and rebuild that mess. He wants a pay raise every year because the Jets promised him that. They gave him a cheap contract for the first 2 years so they could afford cap wise to pay other players and "promised" him a new deal afterwards that would pay him appropriately. I think its a no brainer to trade a first this year for him. We're not going to find a more impact player in the LATE 1ST round and we can pay him a fair amount to keep him happy for many years and be set!

Figuring the compensation for Revis is as mind boggling as trying to figure out what you are going to have to pay him to sign him long term. You have the injury factor , the contrfact issues and the fact that the Jets can't franchise him (so no trade leverage after 2013). Maybe if trade and contract negotiations get totally muddled , the Jets will be forced to trade him for less than expected to a team that is a CB away from a SB. That team might be willing to just take Revis for a year at his 2013 salary and not worry about how much this guy actually wants for his next contract ? Dunno... Here's a little from Roto News on the subject.

SI's Peter King says the Jets would "at least" want a first-round pick in exchange for Darrelle Revis.

Although trading Revis makes a lot of sense for the rebuilding Jets, it's going to take some creativity. Not only would a team have to give up a first-round pick for a player rehabbing an ACL tear, they'd also likely want a long-term commitment from Revis that extends beyond his 2013 contract year. And doing a deal like that won't be cheap. As King says, "good luck with that." Aside from Revis' elite skill set when healthy, one aspect of a potential trade is his affordable $6 million in 2013 scheduled pay. So perhaps a team would deal for Revis on his current contract rather than requiring an extension up front.

Revis is a film guy that doesn't lack confidence in his ability. Aside from being a lock down corner, Revis has knowledge that can help out a Darius Butler and Vontae Davis who's skillset leads one to believe he can be a better version of Revis

Uhhhh....you sure about that?

The Jets GM just reported for his first day at the office about 8 hours ago and stated at his introductory press conference....today, mind you....that Rex Ryan had to show him where his office actually is.

I doubt he's taken any trade offers yet....and Grigson doesn't exactly strike me as an impulse buyer, frantically rushing to the phone hours after a story like this breaks.

And Revis had his knee snapped......remember?

Don't you think Grigson would AT LEAST have a doctor check him out first?

This guy is NOT their cast off! They can't afford to keep him and rebuild that mess. He wants a pay raise every year because the Jets promised him that. They gave him a cheap contract for the first 2 years so they could afford cap wise to pay other players and "promised" him a new deal afterwards that would pay him appropriately. I think its a no brainer to trade a first this year for him. We're not going to find a more impact player in the LATE 1ST round and we can pay him a fair amount to keep him happy for many years and be set!

That would be a violation of league rules, and there's simply no evidence that that's the case. As a matter of fact, they built a poison pill into his contract to prevent him from holding out again. His contract wasn't cheap for the first two years, either. He was paid an average of $10m over the first two years, and it went up to $11.5 in Year 3.

He held out in 2010 because he knew he could. I don't blame him; he was technically underpaid, and his coaches were calling him the best corner in the league. Why not use your leverage to earn more money?

At this point, however, he's not going to agree to a team-favorable contract. He wants to break the bank. While I agree that he's a heavy duty player who would make our team better, I don't think he's worth the picks (likely multiple high round picks) and the money he's going to demand.

That would be a violation of league rules, and there's simply no evidence that that's the case. As a matter of fact, they built a poison pill into his contract to prevent him from holding out again. His contract wasn't cheap for the first two years, either. He was paid an average of $10m over the first two years, and it went up to $11.5 in Year 3.

He held out in 2010 because he knew he could. I don't blame him; he was technically underpaid, and his coaches were calling him the best corner in the league. Why not use your leverage to earn more money?

At this point, however, he's not going to agree to a team-favorable contract. He wants to break the bank. While I agree that he's a heavy duty player who would make our team better, I don't think he's worth the picks (likely multiple high round picks) and the money he's going to demand.

If you were Grigson what's the most you would make an offer for him?

Figuring the compensation for Revis is as mind boggling as trying to figure out what you are going to have to pay him to sign him long term. You have the injury factor , the contrfact issues and the fact that the Jets can't franchise him (so no trade leverage after 2013). Maybe if trade and contract negotiations get totally muddled , the Jets will be forced to trade him for less than expected to a team that is a CB away from a SB. That team might be willing to just take Revis for a year at his 2013 salary and not worry about how much this guy actually wants for his next contract ? Dunno... Here's a little from Roto News on the subject.

SI's Peter King says the Jets would "at least" want a first-round pick in exchange for Darrelle Revis.

Although trading Revis makes a lot of sense for the rebuilding Jets, it's going to take some creativity. Not only would a team have to give up a first-round pick for a player rehabbing an ACL tear, they'd also likely want a long-term commitment from Revis that extends beyond his 2013 contract year. And doing a deal like that won't be cheap. As King says, "good luck with that." Aside from Revis' elite skill set when healthy, one aspect of a potential trade is his affordable $6 million in 2013 scheduled pay. So perhaps a team would deal for Revis on his current contract rather than requiring an extension up front.

Good stuff.

I haven't thought too much about the injury factor, not after Manning's contract with the Broncos. There are too many wrinkles teams and agents can come up with for that to be a deterrent.

If you were Grigson what's the most you would make an offer for him?

That's the problem. We don't have a 2nd rounder this year. I'd be offering a 2nd this year, and maybe a conditional 3rd next year, depending on games played. I might be willing to part with our 1st rounder this year, and a conditional 3rd next year, if we had our 2nd. But that would also be dependent on being able to reach reasonable terms with Revis on an extension. I wouldn't give up those picks without an extension.

Per the Jets forum LOL

Yeah. Explore as in... "Hey INDY. How are you today? Would you be interested in trading Luck for Revis? No? Have a good day."

And........

@kmart_li
Woody said that he's deferring to Idzik on Revis and said he doesn't know where that came from. #nyj

@cnimbley
Woody Jonson says he has no idea where these reports that he wants to trade Revis are coming from #Jets

"I would never say anything about a contract or a trade." -- #Jets owner Woody Johnson on Revis trade report #nyj

And this:

Rex asked about Revis & starts laughing. Says he heard the rumors this morning & started laughing saying it's only John's (Idzik) first day

Now Rex laughing at yall

So, who knows.

There is also a little rumor I read about potentially the Redskins having an interest. Picks (if they have any) plus Cousins. If this was true then typical Redskins.....but you have to wonder if the Jets would want some offensive help in return and not just picks? Getting Vontae for a second I feel is a good deal now. Giving up the farm for Revis seems a lot more risky to me.

I would say buyer beware if the rumors are even true in the end. I am not too keen anyone giving up a fortune for a guy coming off a huge injury. Not to mention, he would want to be paid.......A LOT. We have money right now though so everyone seems tempting to us.

edit: Had to change a few teams from my initial post since I got a few teams wrong LOL.

There is also a little rumor I read about potentially the Redskins having an interest. Picks (if they have any) plus Cousins. If this was true then typical Redskins.....but you have to wonder if the Broncos would want some offensive help in return and not just picks? Getting Vontae for a second I feel is a good deal now. Giving up the farm for Revis seems a lot more risky to me.

Just to add to that, the Redskins don't have a first rounder in 2013 or 2014.

Per the Jets forum LOL

And........

@kmart_li

Woody said that he's deferring to Idzik on Revis and said he doesn't know where that came from. #nyj

@cnimbley

Woody Jonson says he has no idea where these reports that he wants to trade Revis are coming from #Jets

"I would never say anything about a contract or a trade." -- #Jets owner Woody Johnson on Revis trade report #nyj

And this:

So, who knows.

There is also a little rumor I read about potentially the Redskins having an interest. Picks (if they have any) plus Cousins. If this was true then typical Redskins.....but you have to wonder if the Jets would want some offensive help in return and not just picks? Getting Vontae for a second I feel is a good deal now. Giving up the farm for Revis seems a lot more risky to me.

I would say buyer beware if the rumors are even true in the end. I am not too keen anyone giving up a fortune for a guy coming off a huge injury. Not to mention, he would want to be paid.......A LOT. We have money right now though so everyone seems tempting to us.

I agree, I would always be leery of giving up anything for a player that is coming off a major knee injury, I don't care how good they are/were. There is always a chance for immediate re-injury or the possibility of him never being the same. When it comes to someone like Revis, who will require giving up picks/future picks, and giving him a huge contract, I will pass everytime. Let some other team risk their future. IMO there are other CB's available without nearly as much risk. They may not be as good but they are not bad either and would still be an upgrade over what we have now.

Just to add to that, the Redskins don't have a first rounder in 2013 or 2014.

True. So I don't know how that would work. And heck if rumors are even true of the Jets really moving the guy.

Also, you have to wonder if the Jets would hope for some help on offense in return. Or a player or two, period no matter where he plays.

I just am not convinced they would want just picks?

I still think it is an awfully big risk for any team to take depending on what the asking price is by the Jets. Too many picks, too much money and the guy is coming off an ACL tear even if he is known as maybe the best CB in football.

That's the problem. We don't have a 2nd rounder this year. I'd be offering a 2nd this year, and maybe a conditional 3rd next year, depending on games played. I might be willing to part with our 1st rounder this year, and a conditional 3rd next year, if we had our 2nd. But that would also be dependent on being able to reach reasonable terms with Revis on an extension. I wouldn't give up those picks without an extension.

Plus add to that we only have Davis under contract for 2013. So do you want to have 20+ mill tied up in your two CB's or do you want to let Davis go after next year ? I would tend to keep Davis and use the money on a Freeney replacement or O Line. Plus if you figure Davis in your long term plans , you have a little flexibility with the 46 mill of cap space. If Grigson doesn't like this years market he could just sign a couple of free agants and use some of the cap to re-up Davis this year. That might bring down Davis' next deal as he's only scheduled to make around 1.5 mill in 2013. That might make him a little more anxious to get a deal done this year . If he plays lights out in 2103 , he could easily be a 11 mill, per year CB in the 2014 free agent market. The contracts signed in 2012 for UFA CB's was crazy. 

I agree, I would always be leery of giving up anything for a player that is coming off a major knee injury, I don't care how good they are/were. There is always a chance for immediate re-injury or the possibility of him never being the same. When it comes to someone like Revis, who will require giving up picks/future picks, and giving him a huge contract, I will pass everytime. Let some other team risk their future. IMO there are other CB's available without nearly as much risk. They may not be as good but they are not bad either and would still be an upgrade over what we have now.

After making a CB trade last year I am not sure I can see the Colts doing it again. Maybe they pick someone up in FA though.......we have money.

Redskins would be dumb to do this considering the fact of RG3 knee injurys and the concussions he had last season. They need a good back up for when he is hurt and you know he will be