Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Where did this need for 2 tight ends come from

GoodLuck

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="GoodLuck" data-cid="400203"><p>Im saying that was basically a 3wr set. With Clark being the 3rd wr.</p></blockquote><br />Except he is not a WR. It forces the defense to decide how they want to play him - with a LB or do they go with nickel. It is all about the match up. If you go 3 WR's, the defense will go nickel. But if you can keep them in base defense and line up Allen/Fleener out wide, it is advantage to the Colts.

The good thing about TEs is they are so versatile.  You have a guy like Gronk who is massive and has good hands.  He is too fast for a LB to cover and too big for a S to cover.  Not only that, but when they are in, it's difficult to know if you are going to run or pass because a lot of these bigger TEs (Gronk, Graham, Gonzalez, Gates, etc....they all start with G haha) can run block well.  If you come out with 4 WRs, it's almost certain that you will pass.  But if you come out with 2 TEs and 2 WRs and a RB, the defense doesn't know what to expect.

The good thing about TEs is they are so versatile.  You have a guy like Gronk who is massive and has good hands.  He is too fast for a LB to cover and too big for a S to cover.  Not only that, but when they are in, it's difficult to know if you are going to run or pass because a lot of these bigger TEs (Gronk, Graham, Gonzalez, Gates, etc....they all start with G haha) can run block well.  If you come out with 4 WRs, it's almost certain that you will pass.  But if you come out with 2 TEs and 2 WRs and a RB, the defense doesn't know what to expect.

We need to make Coby change his name to Gleener then lol

I'd much rather be an offense that could thrive in a 2 TE set.  As others have said, it makes your formations less predictable.  When you're able to pass at will with only 2 WR's on the field defenses HAVE to respect the pass which, in theory, should open the run game up.  Plus, TE's are usually decent blockers as well as receivers.

I see our offense Evolving into something like  2 WR's, 1 TE, 1 RB, and one X-factor player who can line up anywhere. (TE, FB, WR) 

What's is your deal and agenda with trying to get rid of fleener? Dude is a beast! Btw, we always ran our best offense out of a two te set. As does peps wco. Oh yeah and everyone clamoring for a big tall wr, hello?!? Fleener!!

Truth.  A big, tall receiver doesn't HAVE to be a Wideout...We saw a few flashes of Fleeners ability to go up for a catch this year, and I'd only expect that to improve.

I'm pretty sure that the Patriots have 4 TEs that could be starters on half the teams in the league.

half??? id say more like 3/4 of the teams in the league lol. although im starting to question the durability of the " gronk ". breaks the same arm but in a different place by falling out of bounds, starting to wonder if he should stick to modeling lol

You think Patriot fans care that they have two tight ends that play together?

You think Raven fans care?

When you've got two very good tight ends as the Colts do, a good two tight end offense can present all sorts of match-up problems for the defense...     it has to be run right....

And, if Arians had stayed,  I was going to be posting the next for the Colts two top tight ends to be catching at least 100 passes between them next year....    say, 60 for Allen and 40 for Fleener.   At least.    This year,  they totaled about 70,  roughly 45 for Allen and 25 for Fleener.    Way too little.     What's the point of using two top picks if you're not using them enough to get the desired affect from them....

But, Arians has now moved on....  we'll see how Pep handles this....   will be interesting and important to watch....

The title of your post ask where the "need" for two tight ends comes from.....

I'll try to answer it this way....   many teams feel the fullback is obsolete.   You don't get enough bang for your buck.   All the guy would do is block for the RB...    he wouldn't get many touches either running or receiving...

So, if you're not going to have a fullback,  then you can add either another WR or another TE to your offense.  

A 3rd WR makes you more explosive.   But a 2nd tight end might make your offense harder to read.   Is that 2nd tight end there to block for a run,  or is he likely to go out for a pass?    That makes assignments more difficult and raises the possibility of a mistake in coverage by the defense.    There are advantages to the two tight end offense.

It just depends on what you want to do.....      Hope that clarifies....

Here's a decent article explaining the merits of the 2 TE sets we're seeing more of today.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8298aeb2/article/two-tight-end-formations-will-hit-nfl-by-storm-in-2012

However I remember the use of 2 TEs being prevalent among certain teams in the 80s as well, however it was more for blocking schemes at that time. Most teams didn't have the big, fast TEs who could catch...there was only a small handful of them (Winslow, Newsome, etc). I'm sure it was used in spots before that as well but I'd actually have to research that. Those types of athletes are more prevalent in the sport now though and with the rules favoring the passing game heavily, its the natural course of evolution.

2Te sets  creates better mismatch problems then 3 wr sets because Te's are much better blockers in the run game and they can catch just as good. If you have 2 athletic Te's like we do then it could be very hard to stop because most defenses will come out with base personal sets 4-3 or 3-4 which will have a lb trying to cover a guy like Fleener with 4.5 speed. You have to have a good o-line for it to work because those te's will be out running routes and the rb will be the only guy to help chip the great speed rushers. If we can sign 2 quality o-linemen like a Bushrod and Vasquez then Fleener and Allen should have huge impact next year.Wouldn't surprise me at all if Fleener had 90 catches 1,000 and over 10 td's.  Jimmy graham did nothing his rookie year but had a breakout sophmore year because the offense was designed for him to be the 1st option. I think Wayne role will decrease and Fleener will be 1a and Wayne 1b.