Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Stepfan Taylor

IndyColtScout

A reminder....

The value of a running back in the NFL has been greatly diminished.    It's a passing league now.

And you can find a decent running back in the middle/lower rounds.     May I introduce you to Vick Ballard,  5th round pick....

No need to spend a 2 or 3 on a guy who even his supporters here say would split the duty with Ballard.   Makes no sense to spend that high a pick on a guy who is sharing snaps like that.

Taylor is good....   but he's not that good....

I am a Miss State guy so I was introduced to Ballard a long time ago and I don't want to see him as the only RB left to play at the end of the season.  You probably weren't here for our Super Bowl run, but Rhodes and Addai sharing carries was one the keys to our Super Bowl victory. 

I am a Miss State guy so I was introduced to Ballard a long time ago and I don't want to see him as the only RB left to play at the end of the season.  You probably weren't here for our Super Bowl run, but Rhodes and Addai sharing carries was one the keys to our Super Bowl victory. 

Hey,  I've said it many times.   I'd love to have another back with Ballard.   I think Brown is fine, but I'd welcome another.  And if it's Taylor -- great.    I just don't want to spend too high a pick to get him.    That's all.

If we can find another back on the cheap in free agency,  that'd be fine too.

I really don't think we need another RB this year. We have Ballard, Brown, and Carter.  I just can't justify using one of our few draft picks on a RB when we have so many holes on the defense and offensive line.

I also loathe the notion that we seem to be changing to the "Stanford Colts"   I really think bringing so many people in from his college days could keep Luck from being able to move forward as a player...

I really don't think we need another RB this year. We have Ballard, Brown, and Carter.  I just can't justify using one of our few draft picks on a RB when we have so many holes on the defense and offensive line.

I also loathe the notion that we seem to be changing to the "Stanford Colts"   I really think bringing so many people in from his college days could keep Luck from being able to move forward as a player...

I agree, not sure how Luck can progress with Griff Whalen around......

It seemed I held a minority opinion when I listed RB as a position of need a month ago. While OL, DL & Safety may proceed it in merit, I felt confident new blood would be introduced at RB.

With the direction the offense is now pointed, I now have no doubt significant moves will be made. I look no further than the Niner's and Ravens to see the quality of horses in their stables.

It seemed I held a minority opinion when I listed RB as a position of need a month ago. While OL, DL & Safety may proceed it in merit, I felt confident new blood would be introduced at RB.

With the direction the offense is now pointed, I now have no doubt significant moves will be made. I look no further than the Niner's and Ravens to see the quality of horses in their stables.

100% agree. I understand other people want OL & defense taken care of, and with good reason. But it's not a significant investment drafting a rookie RB in the 3rd.

A) We still have free agency. We don't know who Grigson gets. We may fill our biggest holes before the draft gets here thus making BPA the draft strategy.

B) there is an obvious Pep-Luck-Taylor connection here. Brown is ok but rarely healthy. Carter isn't consistent especially fumbling the ball. There is a need for another RB most likely cutting Carter.

C) your point on 49ers/Ravens Rice, Pierce, Gore, James, Hunter, Dixon all picked fairly high. Gotta be able to move the chains without throwing the ball.

For those on the other end lets just agree to disagree.

The buzz with Lattimore is he may go much, much higher despite his two knee injuries, including the most recent in October....

Go figure............

McGahee was a first rounder after tearing most every CL known to man a few only known to exist in oxen, but even he was only supposed to fall to the third. I don't think Lattimore is McGahee, but it truly only does take one team.

I think you're right. He'll probably go higher than most expect.

100% agree. I understand other people want OL & defense taken care of, and with good reason. But it's not a significant investment drafting a rookie RB in the 3rd.

A) We still have free agency. We don't know who Grigson gets. We may fill our biggest holes before the draft gets here thus making BPA the draft strategy.

B) there is an obvious Pep-Luck-Taylor connection here. Brown is ok but rarely healthy. Carter isn't consistent especially fumbling the ball. There is a need for another RB most likely cutting Carter.

C) your point on 49ers/Ravens Rice, Pierce, Gore, James, Hunter, Dixon all picked fairly high. Gotta be able to move the chains without throwing the ball.

For those on the other end lets just agree to disagree.

I think the point you make in A) is worth repeating. This team will be active in the FA market. They positioned themselves financially to address areas of concern before draft day arrives. Once they've done business there, they'll be better able to build a draft board strategy (Picks 1st, 2nd, 3rd ,4th, 6th & 7th). From my chair, this team will want upgrades at 10 positions (C, RG, RT, RB, DE, DT, ILB, OLB, CB & SS) and traditionally RB's are more likely to come from the draft, then from a FA acquisition.

In all honesty there is really no big need for us to take a running back with a high draft pick. There just isn't.

Too many other needs.

I'm a bit intrigued with having Lattimore in our scheme as a low pick, or like somebody else said undrafted maybe.

I don't know if the odds are good for Lattimore going undrafted though.

I think Stephan Taylor is an almost identical clone of Vic Ballard. I don't see a reason to draft a player who is

basically the same as what is on the roster already.

I wonder if Mendenhall is worth a look as a free agent? Still a relatively young player, and I think he's got some gas left in the tank. I'm not sure what happened with that situation in Pittsburgh.

I was toying around with the idea of Ballard, Brown, Mendenhall, and somebody similar to Fast Willie Parker.

Anyways, I don't think we need to spend a high draft pick on a running back. If we choose to use a pick on one, I think you can find a gem in the low rounds.

I think the point you make in A) is worth repeating. This team will be active in the FA market. They positioned themselves financially to address areas of concern before draft day arrives. Once they've done business there, they'll be better able to build a draft board strategy (Picks 1st, 2nd, 3rd ,4th, 6th & 7th). From my chair, this team will want upgrades at 10 positions (C, RG, RT, RB, DE, DT, ILB, OLB, CB & SS) and traditionally RB's are more likely to come from the draft, then from a FA acquisition.

I'm sure you know this, but on the off-chance you don't, or simply forgot,  we don't have a 2nd round pick.   It belongs to Miami for the Vonte Davis deal...    otherwise, you got the rest of the picks right....

Sorry to bother....   just wanted to make sure we're all on the same page....

I'm sure you know this, but on the off-chance you don't, or simply forgot,  we don't have a 2nd round pick.   It belongs to Miami for the Vonte Davis deal...    otherwise, you got the rest of the picks right....

Sorry to bother....   just wanted to make sure we're all on the same page....

Yep... forgot

With the addition of Pep, and big time question marks in Donald/Delone, I feel like the Cołts are going to take Taylor in the 3rd maybe trade back into the backend of 2nd to secure him. Ballard was great but we need young talented depth at the most injury prone position in the NFL. Taylor would fit in day one. I know RB isn't the biggest need, I'm just saying dont be surprised.

The question marks aren't as much about our running backs, but whether our O-Line can block anything.  You could put Adrian Peterson on our team, if we can't open a hole it doesn't matter.  We need some O-Line talent first and foremost!!

We have to shore up the trenches first.

It's also a good year for safeties, which is rare. I believe we'll be in line for 1 comp pick, which would give us 5 total. Ideally, we'll end up with (at least):

1 5 tech DE or a pass rusher

1 O-lineman

1 Safety

2 BPA out of our remaining needs (another lineman and WR would still take precedent over RB. CB would as well.)

It would really take a great RB prospect falling far in order for that pick to outweigh the glaring needs we have in other areas. Free agency will help us fill some of those gaps, but even with that, we may not have the luxury to try and upgrade RB. I also think the current guys can play and will be fine with better play up front.

While I think OL is the single biggest need on  the team, along with CB being a close second, IF we were to take a RB, as a MSU alum I think the Colts should take a hard look at LeVeon Bell. He is a bruiser back that does just about everything very very well. His weakness is that he is not very fast, but he can catch a pass out of the backfield, holds onto the ball, waits for his blockers, and is very tough to take down, sometimes dragging 3-4 defenders with him during his college days. While this obviously won't happen in the NFL, the guy was an All-American caliber player on an otherwise average offense for the Spartans this year. He would be an excellent backup guy to Ballard and possibly could be a starter. I would like him more than Taylor, but I admit I am biased here.

That said, I would still prefer addressing the OL and CB before we worry about RBs. 

• 4 weeks later...

I was really surprised with how poorly Taylor timed. His play wouldn't have suggested this. Would suck for him but Taylor as a 6th or 7th or maybe UDFA would be good value. I still think he's an NFL RB.

I don't think Stepfan will go lower than a #5,  a #6 at worst, I would think...

Word from Stanford is that Stepfan may have been testing on a sprained ankle and tried to tough it out.    Have no idea if it's true.

But,  he's still got his pro day.     I've been expecting a relatively poor performance from Taylor for some time.   He's not an explosive athlete.   But this was worse than I anticipated,  which may give credence to the report of a bad ankle.    We won't know until late March at his pro day...

I don't think Stepfan will go lower than a #5,  a #6 at worst, I would think...

Word from Stanford is that Stepfan may have been testing on a sprained ankle and tried to tough it out.    Have no idea if it's true.

But,  he's still got his pro day.     I've been expecting a relatively poor performance from Taylor for some time.   He's not an explosive athlete.   But this was worse than I anticipated,  which may give credence to the report of a bad ankle.    We won't know until late March at his pro day...

I'd say he'd be worth a 5th round compensation pick, at least (if we get one that is). He still has solid leg power, uses all of his movement and is pretty hard to bring down. Kinda like Vick Ballard but a better receiver and a better blocker. 

I think we have a heavy dose of people borrowing Irsay's private powdery stash.  We don't need running backs and we don't need receivers.  We need O-Line!!  After the O-Line, we need secondary and LB. 

We have three RB's that can run if they are given a hole...so let's get some people that can make a hole on the line of scrimage!!

I think we have a heavy dose of people borrowing Irsay's private powdery stash.  We don't need running backs and we don't need receivers.  We need O-Line!!  After the O-Line, we need secondary and LB. 

We have three RB's that can run if they are given a hole...so let's get some people that can make a hole on the line of scrimage!!

BTTT

"Post Of The Day" Nominee

Dear Mr. Grigson, this is to inform you that it is no longer necessary to scout receivers or running backs this year. Colts experts say you should only draft linemen and Secondary. whew! What a relief for you. That should cut your workload in half. With their invaluable advice, we will definitely Be able to consistently get that 12th pick every year instead of that terrible 24th. Yours truly,

IF we get a RB in later rounds, as I posted before, I still would like either Kenjon Barber or Jonathan Franklin out of UCLA...I'm a Barner fan, but Franklin really stepped up in the combine, plus, he is a better blocker. When I was watching the combine, Jim Mora tweeted that Franklin is just like Warrick Dunn, and is the best RB he;s been around in the 30 years he's been coaching. If he really is a Warrick Dunn type or clone, that would surely be a good compliment for Ballard. But, with his great combine showing, I doubt he makes it to us in the 3rd.

I was never impressed with Taylor...

IF we get a RB in later rounds, as I posted before, I still would like either Kenjon Barber or Jonathan Franklin out of UCLA...I'm a Barner fan, but Franklin really stepped up in the combine, plus, he is a better blocker. When I was watching the combine, Jim Mora tweeted that Franklin is just like Warrick Dunn, and is the best RB he;s been around in the 30 years he's been coaching. If he really is a Warrick Dunn type or clone, that would surely be a good compliment for Ballard. But, with his great combine showing, I doubt he makes it to us in the 3rd.

I was never impressed with Taylor...

I don't think either Barner or Franklin will be around in the later rounds....    I'm expecting both to be gone by the end of the 4th round at the latest.

I don't think either Barner or Franklin will be around in the later rounds....    I'm expecting both to be gone by the end of the 4th round at the latest.

I don't either..I was just saying that if they fell, those are the two I would draft, and not Taylor. He's just not that impressive to me. And, as others have stated, he's the same type of back as Ballard, and we need a different type of back to compliment him.

later round RBs, Knile Davis and not just because he is from Houston, Texas but that is a reason why I want him on our team he is also a talented back who is getting overlooked by everybody

If Davis falls like he's expected to, and we can grab him in a later round, I'm all for it. There's absolutely no reason we should be getting a RB this year before the 5th or 6th round though.