Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Stepfan Taylor

IndyColtScout

With the addition of Pep, and big time question marks in Donald/Delone, I feel like the Cołts are going to take Taylor in the 3rd maybe trade back into the backend of 2nd to secure him. Ballard was great but we need young talented depth at the most injury prone position in the NFL. Taylor would fit in day one. I know RB isn't the biggest need, I'm just saying dont be surprised.

With the addition of Pep, and big time question marks in Donald/Delone, I feel like the Cołts are going to take Taylor in the 3rd maybe trade back into the backend of 2nd to secure him. Ballard was great but we need young talented depth at the most injury prone position in the NFL. Taylor would fit in day one. I know RB isn't the biggest need, I'm just saying dont be surprised.

I think there's more potential in the OL and Defensive side of the ball to use a pick on RB in the 2nd or 3rd (IMO). 

I won't be surprised, I'll be shocked. RBs are a dime a dozen. I can't see us wasting an early round pick on one.

I think that Ballard, Brown, and Carter are the three backs that we will go with. If the need arrises during the season to add to the RB depth, I think that Grigson can find back-ups. For now, I don't see the RB position as an area that needs to be addressed, especially not in the third round.

I'll be shocked because (A) the Çolts don't need to spend a high pick on Taylor....

And... (B)  I don't think Stepfan will command a high pick.    I don't think he'll test that well at the combine.   He succeeds with the biggest heart, not the most talent.

I think he'll be available in rounds 4-5....    again,  it all depends on how he tests...

I don't think he's a starting RB in the NFL.    Think he's a quality back-up.    Why use a high pick on a non-starter.

Won't happen.

I'm a little torn on the idea of Taylor. Very produtive player that will know Pip's scheme but for the past few years I have wanted to have a change of pace back that catches the ball out of the back feild, like Sproles or Lemichael James. If they pick him up I think 4th should be the earliest we take him. Pleanty of strong backs that will be available at that time. Worse case a different back learns the playbook like every other rookie.

I'll be shocked because (A) the Çolts don't need to spend a high pick on Taylor....

And... (B) I don't think Stepfan will command a high pick. I don't think he'll test that well at the combine. He succeeds with the biggest heart, not the most talent.

I think he'll be available in rounds 4-5.... again, it all depends on how he tests...

I don't think he's a starting RB in the NFL. Think he's a quality back-up. Why use a high pick on a non-starter.

Won't happen.

I'd add a © first things first: fix the line. No need to upgrade at RB if you don't have the line to open holes for him.

On one level, Scouts will really like Taylor....

He's good at most everything. 

He's smart, team oriented,  makes almost no mistakes,  rarely fumbles,  willing to pass block and makes the effort,  can catch the ball out of the back-field....   on and on...

But he's mostly a between the tackles runner...  and while he moves the pile in the college game,  that won't happen nearly as often in the pro game.     He also doesn't make tacklers miss very often.   He's more likely to try and run over you then to fake you.

I love the kid.    Would love for him to be a back-up for the Colts.    I just don't want to over-spend for him and use a pick that's just way, way to high on him.    If we could steal him in the 5th or 6th round,  OK.    But otherwise.   we have many more pressing needs.

Draft is BPA & with the money we have in free agency this pick isn't out of question. Taylor won't get to the last pick of the 3rd if you think he should you underrate him. I can totally see Pep taking his guy, and having a 2 man rotation (that changes to a feature back set with injury.)

Draft is BPA & with the money we have in free agency this pick isn't out of question. Taylor won't get to the last pick of the 3rd if you think he should you underrate him. I can totally see Pep taking his guy, and having a 2 man rotation (that changes to a feature back set with injury.)

I completely agree.      

It is BPA, but there is a thing called positional value...and running backs don't have it. And Pep is the OC, not the gm.

2nd or 3rd? No Way.

Remember, this will be a Defensive Draft (Mostly)

Now if he's there in the 5th or so then sure. But I'm almost certain that the Front Office is guaranteed to use the 1st 3 picks of ours on Defense. We don't have many picks so we'll see what happens

2nd or 3rd? No Way.

Remember, this will be a Defensive Draft (Mostly)

Now if he's there in the 5th or so then sure. But I'm almost certain that the Front Office is guaranteed to use the 1st 3 picks of ours on Defense. We don't have many picks so we'll see what happens

Guaranteed?   I was here on the boards last year and nobody called 6 offensive picks.   

I'd be very disappointed if they spent a high pick on a RB.  If we take one in round 5 or later then ok but any earlier than that is unnecessary imo.  I'd much rather upgrade the OL, pass rush and secondary before going RB.  Personally I'm good with going into next year with Brown, Ballard and Carter.  I think the trio can be very good if they can stay healthy (which is a big if).  There are always good backs available in the later rounds and even UDFA.  

I won't be surprised, I'll be shocked. RBs are a dime a dozen. I can't see us wasting an early round pick on one.

I'm glad I'm not the only one to feel this way. I have been saying this for yrs. and I really think NFL teams are starting to feel the same way. RB is the most over rated position in football IMO, with a good O-line just about any RB with any skill what so ever can be successful.

Colts dont need to trade up from the 3rd to get him. He should last. If we're trading back into the late 2nd, it better be for OG Larry Warford.

On one level, Scouts will really like Taylor....

He's good at most everything. 

He's smart, team oriented,  makes almost no mistakes,  rarely fumbles,  willing to pass block and makes the effort,  can catch the ball out of the back-field....   on and on...

But he's mostly a between the tackles runner...  and while he moves the pile in the college game,  that won't happen nearly as often in the pro game.     He also doesn't make tacklers miss very often.   He's more likely to try and run over you then to fake you.

I love the kid.    Would love for him to be a back-up for the Colts.    I just don't want to over-spend for him and use a pick that's just way, way to high on him.    If we could steal him in the 5th or 6th round,  OK.    But otherwise.   we have many more pressing needs.

You know Stepfan pretty well, don't you?

I agree with you. He does everything pretty well esp pass protection. I would love to have him in Broncos uniform if the price is right. He's also a high mileage back. He never wows you with his sheer abilities but he will be hardworking and reliable.

can we please just stay away from drafting all kinds of stanford guys. were not trying to be the indianapolis cardinal here. defense needs to be the main focus in the draft.

1) Johnathan Banks/ Xavier Rhodes

3) Rambo

4) Sean Porter

5) MAthieu (Nickel Back)

6) D-lineman

use the free agency period as a focus on offense. more holes on defense to worry about

can we please just stay away from drafting all kinds of stanford guys. were not trying to be the indianapolis cardinal here. defense needs to be the main focus in the draft.

1) Johnathan Banks/ Xavier Rhodes

3) Rambo

4) Sean Porter

5) MAthieu (Nickel Back)

6) D-lineman

use the free agency period as a focus on offense. more holes on defense to worry about

haha the Indianapolis Cardinal. But agreed, people can want Stanford guys, but I doubt they get drafted to us.

A reminder....

The value of a running back in the NFL has been greatly diminished.    It's a passing league now.

And you can find a decent running back in the middle/lower rounds.     May I introduce you to Vick Ballard,  5th round pick....

No need to spend a 2 or 3 on a guy who even his supporters here say would split the duty with Ballard.   Makes no sense to spend that high a pick on a guy who is sharing snaps like that.

Taylor is good....   but he's not that good....