Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Your free agent wish list...,

needanoline63

I agree 100% on the Bowe and Amendola stuff. I really wish that people would just stop bringing it up. I'm like you, I think talk of spending a fortune on a position that isn't even close to an immediate need is just plain ridiculous.

One, I couldn't imagine that Amendola would cost a fortune, and two, there is no guarantee you are going to land the players you target.  Opportunity must intersect with need.  Just because you target a certain position, doesn't mean you will fill it in free agency.  You may be forced to pursue those positions through the draft or through trades.  The point I'm trying to make is this:  don't be surprised to see free agent money go to any position on the team.  It would be nice to do a quick, neat upgrade to your precise positions of need, but it's usually not that simple.  If it were, team-building would be as easy as ordering a spare part from an auto warehouse. 

One, I couldn't imagine that Amendola would cost a fortune, and two, there is no guarantee you are going to land the players you target.  Opportunity must intersect with need.  Just because you target a certain position, doesn't mean you will fill it in free agency.  You may be forced to pursue those positions through the draft or through trades.  The point I'm trying to make is this:  don't be surprised to see free agent money go to any position on the team.  It would be nice to do a quick, neat upgrade to your precise positions of need, but it's usually not that simple.  If it were, team-building would be as easy as ordering a spare part from an auto warehouse. 

I do agree with that, we may not be able to get the free agent O-lineman we want however, I am certain that Grigson is happy with the WR group we have and if we do sign another one, it WILL NOT be one of the big name, high priced, WR's that some here covet. I think Grigson will overpay for o-lineman(if forced too from competing teams) before he will pay for a pricey WR. Grigson isn't obsessed with the WR position like many fans are. He knows he needs to build a TEAM and not just get a bunch of skill players and hope to outscore everybody like Polian did.

I do agree with that, we may not be able to get the free agent O-lineman we want however, I am certain that Grigson is happy with the WR group we have and if we do sign another one, it WILL NOT be one of the big name, high priced, WR's that some here covet. I think Grigson will overpay for o-lineman(if forced too from competing teams) before he will pay for a pricey WR. Grigson isn't obsessed with the WR position like many fans are. He knows he needs to build a TEAM and not just get a bunch of skill players and hope to outscore everybody like Polian did.

Generally, I agree with you, but considering the unpredictability of free agency it's better not to speak in absolutes. 

Grigson isn't obsessed with the WR position like many fans are. He knows he needs to build a TEAM and not just get a bunch of skill players and hope to outscore everybody like Polian did.

On second thought, we hope this is true, but Grigson did go with offensive skilled players in 5 of his first 6 picks in 2012.  :)

You would be much more willing to sign Reed longer and for money than I would even consider. Not that I don't like him, but no way am I offering him no more than a 1 yr. deal at something around 4 million(tops). He may not even consider that, but that would be OK and we would part ways with no hard feelings. Of course, thats just my opinion, but he's a little long in the tooth and has a lot of wear and tear on them bones and muscles. I would just bring him in for that 1 yr. for a stop gap for hopefully somebody we draft for our future.

Depending on the structure, every deal can be a one year deal. With only a $4m bonus, the cap penalty to release him after Year 1 would be $2.6m. Not the end of the world. But if he works out, then even better.

1. S Jarius Byrd (Bethea & Byrd would be DANGEROUS)

2. RT Sebastian Vollmer

3. OG Louis Vasquez

4. OLB Paul Kruger (replacing Freeney, if Freeney isn't re-signed)

5. CB Dominque Rodgers-Cromartie (Davis & DRC would be DANGEROUS)

Also re-sign: McAfee, Moala, Johnson, Freeman (is he a free agent?), Powers (if he's willing to be the 3rd CB behind DRC & Davis).

Dream FA list!

my wishlist:

Phil Loadholt

Matt Slauson

Louis Vasquez

Jaryus Bird(i want Bethea moved to SS)

Randy Starks (if healthy)

i like Spencer/kruger but he aint the main rusher on Dallas/Baltimore and we already have that guy in Mathis if we are going to give lucrative contracts i rather do it on the players that will fit not on potential players, which is why so many teams screw their FA signings it hink...i like the idea of drafting a OLB better

and yea i went crazy with the OL,but to be honest im not a fan of DRC/Namdi and no completely sold on Cary Williams (i think we would be paying for potential not a sure thing)

not a fan of houston either from Lions

any other CB worth?

1 thing.....17 sacks and 95 tackles over the last two years (Anthony Spencer) is production and not potential, Thats not to say I would sign him, I'd look at Kruger and also sign another 3-4 OLB in the draft (Brandon Jenkins or Chase Thomas for example or Alex Okafor)

I want a  tall wide receiver so Luck can throw it up and let them pull it in when we are in the red zone.

Not that I agree or anything but a guy who can do just that AND would come cheap is Ramses Barden. Speculating here but we could sign him to a 2 year deal with the 2nd year optional. If we even sniff a WR in Fa I hope it is for cheap and on the experimental side of things. We should bring back some guys from training camp and give them a go like Griff Whalen... he could be this era's Austin Collie... without as many injuries I hope.

1 thing.....17 sacks and 95 tackles over the last two years (Anthony Spencer) is production and not potential, Thats not to say I would sign him, I'd look at Kruger and also sign another 3-4 OLB in the draft (Brandon Jenkins or Chase Thomas for example or Alex Okafor)
oh no what i meant is we would be paying for the potential of a guy playing that currently is playing the Mathis role and that they could come to us and succeed playing the ware/sugss role; it is not the same thing, how many times have we seen #2 WR go for the big money and being hte #1 and not really succeeding once they are the focus.... i do wonder how would Spencer/Kruger look if he was the main cog...

we actually had this type of discussions like 3 4 years ago, when we disscussed that mathis wouldnt be that good if he was the main guy and he didnt have freeney to get the attention...turns out we were wrong but that doesnt mean it will happen everytime.

and im not saying DONT sign kruger/spencer, if Grigs-Pagano-Manusky believe any of those 2 can get the job done then they will :) but im just expressing my concerns about it.

and im kind of the guy that likes the whole idea of drafting your studs, which are LT/OLB(or DE)/QB/WR and get other role players in FA...normally if they hit FA they werent the studs of the team... there is the reggie whites of the world but you get my point

Loadholt isn't a fit here. He is a great run blocker, but this is a passing team. If the Cołts are signing an OT Long/Clady are the only real options because they would be worth what it would cost to overpay cause they can play LT. Costanzo would then move to RT.

You do not want to throw 40 mil at a guy who can only play RT. Just draft a RT, they can be found even mid-late.

Loadholt isn't a fit here. He is a great run blocker, but this is a passing team. If the Cołts are signing an OT Long/Clady are the only real options because they would be worth what it would cost to overpay cause they can play LT. Costanzo would then move to RT.

You do not want to throw 40 mil at a guy who can only play RT. Just draft a RT, they can be found even mid-late.

You apparently haven't kept up with the fact that we are changing offense's to a WCO. Our new OC has went on record saying he likes a power running team. Loadholt would be the perfect fit.

Loadholt is a great fit in MIN where a guy like AP dictates the offense. He is more of the ball handler than Ponder is.

In Indy, we are not going to take the ball out of Lucks hands & put it in Ballards unless the D dictates it (which isn't going to happen often). I don't think it's fiscally responsible to pay Loadholt the money he will command to play the role he plays in MIN here in Indy cause he isn't going to be used a like that as often. I understand why you would want him though. Agree to disagree.

I think our top needs (and my wishlist) are:

1. an interior lineman (Louis Vasquez)

2. a replacement for Freeney, because I don't think he'll resign (Anthony Spencer)

3. a cornerback (Sean Smith)

I really like Sean Smith. Being 6'3" he can rough up the bigger receivers, he tackles, forces fumbles, gets picks, and deflects passes, and he has no injury history. Plus, I think he'll come a little cheaper than some other CBs and will allow us to instantly improve our pass defense while leaving money to sign some other role players.

Someone like Coby Fleener.....?

This is what I've said what seems like a million times. Fleener is the perfect Tall target that everybody is obsessed with. In Arians system we didn't utilize him that way(I have no idea why). They used him much more at Stanford and since we are essentially going to be using that same system with Pep now being our OC, there is no need to go out and spend the money on another guy. We already have our tall target.

G-Andy Levitre and Louis Vasquez

S-Laron Landry, Darius Byrd, Kenny Phillips would be my safety order.

for the draft concerns in order of importance.........I do prefer they employ BPA in the moment as the draft unfolds, but if everything fell perfectly.

CB, CB, DL, OL, WR, RB

Wow really Corner first.........Did you not see how bad the online is this year or where you watching the game in rose colors glasses.

Ol Ol DL DL should be first

I think our top needs (and my wishlist) are:

1. an interior lineman (Louis Vasquez)

2. a replacement for Freeney, because I don't think he'll resign (Anthony Spencer)

3. a cornerback (Sean Smith)

I really like Sean Smith. Being 6'3" he can rough up the bigger receivers, he tackles, forces fumbles, gets picks, and deflects passes, and he has no injury history. Plus, I think he'll come a little cheaper than some other CBs and will allow us to instantly improve our pass defense while leaving money to sign some other role players.

Sean Smith will probably resign with Miami for a big contract, which could explain why Jake Long is going to hit the market. 

Wow really Corner first.........Did you not see how bad the online is this year or where you watching the game in rose colors glasses.

Ol Ol DL DL should be first

you might want to read the OP that this "snippet" was taken from before asking about the color of my lenses......I know threads can move to fast to follow at times for some, but you need to read the whole post before commenting to just a snippet please and thanks :).