Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Your free agent wish list...,

needanoline63

G-Andy Levitre and Louis Vasquez at guards would be priority #1 and #1a. The odds of pulling off both signings (slim) but hey why not list what you want and hope for the best. I would even take Ryan Lilja back as a sloppy second if either of those guys slip away.

RT-Ryan Clady (who I think Denver won't let walk) Andre Smith or Gosider Cherlius Smith would probably be my third choice on this list

DL-Desmond Bryant, Henry Melton, Mike Devito for the defensive line, signing all 3 would be impossible, I think we could use help across that 3 man front some being greater need than others so I am just listing my top 3 for consideration.

OLB/Edge rusher: Anthony Spencer , Michael Bennet, Michael Johnson, Paul Kruger in that order would be my top FA's at this position

S-Laron Landry, Darius Byrd, Kenny Phillips would be my safety order.

for the draft concerns in order of importance.........I do prefer they employ BPA in the moment as the draft unfolds, but if everything fell perfectly.

CB, CB, DL, OL, WR, RB

G-Andy Levitre and Louis Vasquez at guards would be priority #1 and #1a. The odds of pulling off both signings (slim) but hey why not list what you want and hope for the best. I would even take Ryan Lilja back as a sloppy second if either of those guys slip away.

RT-Ryan Clady (who I think Denver won't let walk) Andre Smith or Gosider Cherlius Smith would probably be my third choice on this list

DL-Desmond Bryant, Henry Melton, Mike Devito for the defensive line, signing all 3 would be impossible, I think we could use help across that 3 man front some being greater need than others so I am just listing my top 3 for consideration.

OLB/Edge rusher: Anthony Spencer , Michael Bennet, Michael Johnson, Paul Kruger in that order would be my top FA's at this position

for the draft concerns in order of importance.........I do prefer they employ BPA in the moment as the draft unfolds, but if everything fell perfectly.

CB, CB, DL, OL, WR, RB

Nice wish list! I wonder what they expects for their contracts?

It would be a good math exercise. We know our cap space, lets be conservative and say we spend the minimum. Who needs re-signed, account for rookies, and then we know what's left over.

Grigs is on record saying he won't break the bank unless everyone agrees the player is a must have. It sounds yo me like he'll go after the mid guys.

CB, CB, DL, OL, WR, RB

Kevin Boothe would be a much better fit for our man blocking scheme than Levitre. Ryan Lilja would get destroyed in a man blocking scheme, he is way too under weight to be effective in that type of scheme.

As for RT. Clady is an elite LT(probably the best in the league) no way Denver lets him go and no way he would play RT. Loadholt is the best fit for our blocking scheme, but I don't know if the Vikes let him walk or not.

Henry Melton is the prototypical 4-3 UT. Not sure if he could play DE in our 3-4 or not, but I would rather go for somebody that is proven in our system than take a chance with an unknown.

As for the rest, they would all be nice signings.

I'd sign a g and a rt. then I'd take a look at Landry or Byrd. Does Byrd at ss or fs? Cause I'd leave bethea at fs and pick up a ss. Then I'd look at Kruger, spencer or Shaun Phillips. Maybe kick the tires on bowe. I'd like to see us resign a few of our own guys like moala, mcafee, etc

I'd sign a g and a rt. then I'd take a look at Landry or Byrd. Does Byrd at ss or fs? Cause I'd leave bethea at fs and pick up a ss. Then I'd look at Kruger, spencer or Shaun Phillips. Maybe kick the tires on bowe. I'd like to see us resign a few of our own guys like moala, mcafee, etc

Byrd is FS

Free Agency i think we need to get offensive lineman. maybe grab a ROLB. 

i think our draft needs to mainly be focused on defense as was stated by another poster CB in the first round, and id like to see the colts get the CB from Texas A&M. cause after the CB from bama he is the next best CB who more then likely will drop to us at 24. Rambo (Safety) in the 3rd round, Mathieu in the 4th round (could be a good nickel back) and with our 6th pick get a DL. 

Paul Kruger

Louis Vasquez

Sebastian Volmer

Cary Williams

Dwayne Bowe

Jairus Byrd

(I know this is 6, but I've never been much good at limiting myself to the specified quantity...)

I know some of these players are not who some would select as their "ideal" at each position; however, I feel that these particular individuals would mest the best at their position with OUR team. If we managed to get even 2-3 from this list, I will be flying high into next season!

I think you could get value out of Levitre and Brandon Albert (who seems to be getting no love).  Bump AC to RT if you need to.  Anthony Spencer and Ed Reed if that becomes a possibility (which I don't know if it will).

I respect your opinion. Sell me on Ed Reed.

Andre Smith just got arrested for trying to board a plane with a gun. He's had other motivational and maturity issues since before he was drafted. I'm not saying he should be blacklisted, but I get the feeling he's not on Grigson's radar. And I wouldn't disagree with that decision.

Kevin Boothe would be a much better fit for our man blocking scheme than Levitre. Ryan Lilja would get destroyed in a man blocking scheme, he is way too under weight to be effective in that type of scheme.

As for RT. Clady is an elite LT(probably the best in the league) no way Denver lets him go and no way he would play RT. Loadholt is the best fit for our blocking scheme, but I don't know if the Vikes let him walk or not.

Henry Melton is the prototypical 4-3 UT. Not sure if he could play DE in our 3-4 or not, but I would rather go for somebody that is proven in our system than take a chance with an unknown.

As for the rest, they would all be nice signings.

Right. Nice look at it. We have to keep in mind that this isn't Madden, teams aren't going let their best players walk without making a great offer or franchising them. And if they do, we'll be competing with a few other cap healthy teams for them. We're not going to break the bank for one guy at the expense of leaving other spots weak. Grigs knows his stuff.

I can't see us wasting money on a high priced WR either, definitely not a position of need. So that Bowe or Amendola talk is silly IMHO.

I think a lot of people here are going to be disappointed with our FA signings. Until they see how they improve the team. I expect to see a lot of mid level upgrades.

I respect your opinion. Sell me on Ed Reed.

Ed Reed is an interesting case.  As I said in a different thread, he's too old for me to want at any price, but he's too talented, intelligent and too much of a leader for me to dismiss out of hand.  With the caveat that we're giving him a fair, but not break the bank price on him (think Reggie's contract for safeties; $4-5M per), I think he could be a valuable addition.

I love football people.  I loved the Pagano hire because I love coaches who grew up around the game.  With the exception of those who were just handed the position because of nepotism, "football people"  have been around the game their whole life and not only have been experienced in it, but embraced it and continued to thrive and achieved success.  Look at the people who've had success in the NFL recently and you'll find the NFL littered with them as coaches.

I also value leaders.  I think some of the overlooked acquisitions last year (besides Reggie and Mathis) were people like Redding.    In anything you do, there's value in people who have been there, done it, and done it well.  It's not just an impact on Sunday either; it's an impact during a week of preparation.  I don't think you can have too many of those.  Don't confuse leaders with loud-mouth's either.  I think Reed is a leader.  

There is also the question of baseline talent.  Anyone that plays the game long enough will see a decrease in ability.  I'm not sure Reed's there yet, particularly as a FS.  His value to us would be primarily coverage and defensive alignment and while there's always a physical aspect to the game, I think he will be fairly shielded from that.  He's the same age as Reggie, which should be the only indication needed to show that age can still be effective and I think Ed Reed is still effective in that role.

I also have no issues with Bethea at SS.  Between years where he spent time in the box to years where he was used as a nickel-back  I think he can be successful there.

In the end, you're getting a talented, intelligent leader who I think has a couple years left and who may have a chip on his shoulder.  You're getting someone who knows and has excelled in the system.  You're getting someone you can use and who can positively impact those around him.  We don't need the Ed Reed of the Mid-2000's to see a positive return on a short-term investment.

Alright Ed Reed = big question marks he's older but talented maybe draft a safety like Baccari Rambo as an understudy We need  good pass rushers that can still cover (Paul Kruger or Anthony Spencer) and a left tackle (Jake Long or Sebastian Vollmer)so we can move Anthony Castonzo because Winston Justice just doesn't cut it at all A good nose tackle( Jesse Williams,Johnathon Hankins, or Kwame Geathers ) a 3rd down back that can block(Le'veon Bell or Sepfan Taylor) nickle corner(Tyrann Mathieu )and a tall wide receiver (Rodney Smith).

Ed Reed is an interesting case.  As I said in a different thread, he's too old for me to want at any price, but he's too talented, intelligent and too much of a leader for me to dismiss out of hand.  With the caveat that we're giving him a fair, but not break the bank price on him (think Reggie's contract for safeties; $4-5M per), I think he could be a valuable addition.

I love football people.  I loved the Pagano hire because I love coaches who grew up around the game.  With the exception of those who were just handed the position because of nepotism, "football people"  have been around the game their whole life and not only have been experienced in it, but embraced it and continued to thrive and achieved success.  Look at the people who've had success in the NFL recently and you'll find the NFL littered with them as coaches.

I also value leaders.  I think some of the overlooked acquisitions last year (besides Reggie and Mathis) were people like Redding.    In anything you do, there's value in people who have been there, done it, and done it well.  It's not just an impact on Sunday either; it's an impact during a week of preparation.  I don't think you can have too many of those.  Don't confuse leaders with loud-mouth's either.  I think Reed is a leader.  

There is also the question of baseline talent.  Anyone that plays the game long enough will see a decrease in ability.  I'm not sure Reed's there yet, particularly as a FS.  His value to us would be primarily coverage and defensive alignment and while there's always a physical aspect to the game, I think he will be fairly shielded from that.  He's the same age as Reggie, which should be the only indication needed to show that age can still be effective and I think Ed Reed is still effective in that role.

I also have no issues with Bethea at SS.  Between years where he spent time in the box to years where he was used as a nickel-back  I think he can be successful there.

In the end, you're getting a talented, intelligent leader who I think has a couple years left and who may have a chip on his shoulder.  You're getting someone who knows and has excelled in the system.  You're getting someone you can use and who can positively impact those around him.  We don't need the Ed Reed of the Mid-2000's to see a positive return on a short-term investment.

Good stuff. I agree with a lot of this. My concerns with Reed exist on a couple of levels, mostly age and motivation. He's certainly not young, and his body has taken a lot more abuse than Reggie's has, playing a more physical position. But he's still rangy and would certainly help from an execution standpoint. The other thing is that he's threatened to retire a couple of times here recently, and he might be spent emotionally after a Super Bowl run. Throwing money at him might keep him from hanging it up, but it doesn't keep him engaged.

I don't know what kind of money it would take to keep him. But if he could be had for something like three years, $16m, with a $4m bonus, that would work for me. I think that's a lowball offer, though. I could see him staying in Baltimore for that kind of discount, but not going to a new team. Maybe the Pagano connection is enough, but if it's about money, I don't think that's good enough. JMO.

Having him would be a nice addition. Put Bethea at SS, and our back end is twice as good as it has been the past three years. It's 2007 good. Draft a safety with potential to be a starter. But I think the money will prove to be prohibitive.

Good stuff. I agree with a lot of this. My concerns with Reed exist on a couple of levels, mostly age and motivation. He's certainly not young, and his body has taken a lot more abuse than Reggie's has, playing a more physical position. But he's still rangy and would certainly help from an execution standpoint. The other thing is that he's threatened to retire a couple of times here recently, and he might be spent emotionally after a Super Bowl run. Throwing money at him might keep him from hanging it up, but it doesn't keep him engaged.

I don't know what kind of money it would take to keep him. But if he could be had for something like three years, $16m, with a $4m bonus, that would work for me. I think that's a lowball offer, though. I could see him staying in Baltimore for that kind of discount, but not going to a new team. Maybe the Pagano connection is enough, but if it's about money, I don't think that's good enough. JMO.

Having him would be a nice addition. Put Bethea at SS, and our back end is twice as good as it has been the past three years. It's 2007 good. Draft a safety with potential to be a starter. But I think the money will prove to be prohibitive.

I know Ed Reed has talked about retirement, but to me that's comforting rather than alarming.  It's my position that Reed would rather retire than play at a sub-standard level.  I don't think it's an issue with motivation as much as it is Reed wanting to feel productive and like his old self.  The reality is that an 80-90% Ed Reed is still better than a lot of the league, but Reed sees it  as diminishing skills.  I don't see Ed Reed as a mail-it-in type of player, so my concerns there are minimal.  We're also not hinging all of our hopes and dreams on him; a retirement isn't going to be a big blow to long-term plans. 

I'm not sure the overall amount is a lowball-offer, but I think the guaranteed amount is.  I think you're looking more along the lines of a 3 year $12M with $8M guaranteed where you give him a $6M signing bonus and guarantee the first year salary at $2M (which it practically is anyway).  Concieveably and if he grades out as being worth it, you could even bump that to a 3 year $15M with $10M guaranteed where you give him a $7.5M signing bonus and guarantee the first year salary at $2.5M.  You could cut him after year one with no additional loss of cap space in year 2.  That's a $4-5M annual cap hit.

You would be much more willing to sign Reed longer and for money than I would even consider. Not that I don't like him, but no way am I offering him no more than a 1 yr. deal at something around 4 million(tops). He may not even consider that, but that would be OK and we would part ways with no hard feelings. Of course, thats just my opinion, but he's a little long in the tooth and has a lot of wear and tear on them bones and muscles. I would just bring him in for that 1 yr. for a stop gap for hopefully somebody we draft for our future.

Right. Nice look at it. We have to keep in mind that this isn't Madden, teams aren't going let their best players walk without making a great offer or franchising them. And if they do, we'll be competing with a few other cap healthy teams for them. We're not going to break the bank for one guy at the expense of leaving other spots weak. Grigs knows his stuff.

I can't see us wasting money on a high priced WR either, definitely not a position of need. So that Bowe or Amendola talk is silly IMHO.

I think a lot of people here are going to be disappointed with our FA signings. Until they see how they improve the team. I expect to see a lot of mid level upgrades.

I agree 100% on the Bowe and Amendola stuff. I really wish that people would just stop bringing it up. I'm like you, I think talk of spending a fortune on a position that isn't even close to an immediate need is just plain ridiculous.

I've posted my wish list on a thread of my own "Christmas List" and 2 others threads and I know who I want and I believe we might get one in FA! 2 if were Lucky<No pun intended :}LOL

We need most of all and all new o-line except for Costanzo who I believe with another new better 4 guys with him his playing will improve, he wouldn't want to be the worst of the 5 and will try harder if not he'll be gone, he has 1 more year as a starter or out the door or regulated to back up and less pay...

After what R.Grigson did last off season and draft I'll leave it up to him! Please don't let me down buddy! I have the faith. Get the players we need. Grigson knows talent and won't get a FA guy because of hype, He will be there at the Senior bowl for sure, 2 less in the draft now 2 underclassmen o-line guys announced they were going back to school Mathews and another because I guess they saw they were higher up in the draft order in the 20's and will wait till next years baring injury so they are taking a gamble they will be lower next year, good luck to them.

Go Colts!!!!!

I agree 100% on the Bowe and Amendola stuff. I really wish that people would just stop bringing it up. I'm like you, I think talk of spending a fortune on a position that isn't even close to an immediate need is just plain ridiculous.

Well to be fair, other people who have the opinion that our WR core needs upgraded and therefore they want to bring in a high priced FA WR are no more valid than your opinion that our WR core is not a position of need and therefore targeting a high priced FA WR is silly.  And just like you wish they would stop bringing it up, they may wish that you'd stop crapping on their opinion.   ;)

For the record though, I agree with you.  WR is the last place I would look to spend an exorbitant amount of money in this upcoming FA period.  I would much rather upgrade the OL, pass rush and secondary before even considering a WR.  Now, if Grigson is able to upgrade the OL, pass rush and secondary and still wants to go after a guy like Wallace or Bowe then I say more power to him if he can make it happen.  I would, however, be severely disappointed if he spent a good chunk of money on a WR and that wound up costing us the ability to sign a good offensive lineman.

Oh, my wish list:

2 OG and a RT (whoever Grigson feels will do best in our scheme)

Paul Kruger, Anthony Spencer, Conner Barwin or Manny Lawson

Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Mike Jenkins, Cary Williams, Sam Shields or Brent Grimes (if 100% healthy)

Jairus Byrd, Dashon Goldson or Ed Reed (while drafting a safety to develop if we get Reed)

Ropati Pitoitua (Gavin has sold me on this possibility)

I also wouldn't be upset if Grigson threw a little money at James Laurinitis...granted, it's unlikely Laurinitis actually hits FA but you never know.  If he does, I wouldn't be upset at all about bringing him in.  I know a lot of people feel the MLB position has been devalued in today's NFL, but personally I still think the MLB is the QB of the defense and I do think our ILB core could be upgraded.   Now I wouldn't want to break the bank to bring him in, but if he were willing to come here for a reasonable contract then I'd be all for it.

Well to be fair, other people who have the opinion that our WR core needs upgraded and therefore they want to bring in a high priced FA WR are no more valid than your opinion that our WR core is not a position of need and therefore targeting a high priced FA WR is silly.  And just like you wish they would stop bringing it up, they may wish that you'd stop crapping on their opinion.   ;)

For the record though, I agree with you.  WR is the last place I would look to spend an exorbitant amount of money in this upcoming FA period.  I would much rather upgrade the OL, pass rush and secondary before even considering a WR.  Now, if Grigson is able to upgrade the OL, pass rush and secondary and still wants to go after a guy like Wallace or Bowe then I say more power to him if he can make it happen.  I would, however, be severely disappointed if he spent a good chunk of money on a WR and that wound up costing us the ability to sign a good offensive lineman.

I agree, no matter how many times me and a few others point out how ridiculous( :D) it is to sign a pricey WR, people are still going to bring it up. Just because those people can't see how that bringing in one of those guys, would be just like flushing money down toilet without significantly upgrading the O-line first, doesn't mean that they can't continue to annoy others by repeatably bringing up those WR's names. ;). Yes, I'm being just a little smarmy about it.

Well to be fair, other people who have the opinion that our WR core needs upgraded and therefore they want to bring in a high priced FA WR are no more valid than your opinion that our WR core is not a position of need and therefore targeting a high priced FA WR is silly. 

I agree those opinions are not more valid.  I think they're actually considerably less valid than Balzer's opinion.  Much less valid.

my wishlist:

Phil Loadholt

Matt Slauson

Louis Vasquez

Jaryus Bird(i want Bethea moved to SS)

Randy Starks (if healthy)

i like Spencer/kruger but he aint the main rusher on Dallas/Baltimore and we already have that guy in Mathis if we are going to give lucrative contracts i rather do it on the players that will fit not on potential players, which is why so many teams screw their FA signings it hink...i like the idea of drafting a OLB better

and yea i went crazy with the OL,but to be honest im not a fan of DRC/Namdi and no completely sold on Cary Williams (i think we would be paying for potential not a sure thing)

not a fan of houston either from Lions

any other CB worth?