Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

JaMarcus Russell planning a comeback!

ReMeDy

I read both articles on former Raiders QB Jamarcus Russell. He seems to blame everybody but himself. Sleep problems, team mate problems, & HC shortcomings. Hmmm...perhaps Mr. Russell you are simply lazy with a pathetic work ethic. I don't think anyone in the NFL will buy your "turn over a new leaf" public relations campaign. You haven't taken a single snap since 2009...anything over 12 months makes NFL GM's cringe. Does he expect to start? I hope he's not delusional enough to think that he's still a #1 draft pick & a starting QB. 

Yes, this is America, the land of 2nd chances...But, I would go the route of the CFL or AFL to get my confidence back & get something new on video tape to document his progress as a QB for potential NFL teams 4 years from now. Translation: Russell's dreams of becoming a starting NFL QB are dead on arrival due to his age & the bridges he burned among coaches, coordinators, GM's, & owners as a result of his lack of focus & attention to deal. 

He had an opportunity to do great things in the NFL & he made poor choices which literally flushed his career down the toilet. Tragic really...

More power to him. I hope he gives it a good shot and succeeds. 

I find it............ curious, that so many folks espouse what seems to be hatred for him because he's overweight and he failed at something that most of you couldn't even get a dang whiff at. 

What's that make y'all? 

Little people is right. Step aside. The big man wants another go. 

I find it............ curious, that so many folks espouse what seems to be hatred for him because he's overweight and he failed at something that most of you couldn't even get a dang whiff at. 

What's that make y'all? 

You must be related

What's that make y'all? 

It's because, he DID have the talent and he threw it away because he was lazy and felt entitled. I hate entitlement and I hate it when these guys are given an unbelievable gift of size and athleticism and they decide they don't have to work for their fame or fortune. They feel like it should just be given to them without having to do anything to deserve it. Russell is the epitome of fat, lazy, piece of scum.

It's because, he DID have the talent and he threw it away because he was lazy and felt entitled. I hate entitlement and I hate it when these guys are given an unbelievable gift of size and athleticism and they decide they don't have to work for their fame or fortune. They feel like it should just be given to them without having to do anything to deserve it. Russell is the epitome of fat, lazy, piece of scum.

He wants a second chance. 

I believe in second chances. If he makes good on this chance, then he has earned it, right? He's not asking for entitlement. He's asking for a 2nd chance to succeed. For this he must work. I'm sure he's aware of this. 

Personally, I think he'll fail because he displayed a lack of drive and desire to such an extent that it was comical. But by all means, give the man a second chance. 

He wants a second chance. 

I believe in second chances. If he makes good on this chance, then he has earned it, right? He's not asking for entitlement. He's asking for a 2nd chance to succeed. For this he must work. I'm sure he's aware of this. 

Personally, I think he'll fail because he displayed a lack of drive and desire to such an extent that it was comical. But by all means, give the man a second chance. 

I guess everybody has the right to a second chance, but he already felt entitled his first go around in the league and the fact that it has taken him so long to finally start working on his comeback makes me question his work ethic still. Him getting kicked out of the league(basically) 3 yrs. ago should have woken him up then, but it didn't. I have a pretty strong feeling that he has just blown through all his money he never deserved in the first place and now is looking for another payday. If he proves me wrong I'll gladly admit it and be happy for him, but I just don't think he has the right intentions right now.

For me its not about hate if you watched him play it would be hard to go against peoples opinions. He took the MONEY and ran

They gave it to him. Is it his fault or "our" fault that we were handing out $90 million to unproven rookies? Is that really his fault or "ours"?

If they gave me $90 mil upfront without due cause and I decided I didn't like the job, you think ima give that coin back to them? 

They gave it to him. Is it his fault or "our" fault that we were handing out $90 million to unproven rookies? Is that really his fault or "ours"?

If they gave me $90 mil upfront without due cause and I decided I didn't like the job, you think ima give that coin back to them? 

Then why make the same mistake twice....even with the paltry "vet minimum" of what, 375K?

I guess everybody has the right to a second chance, but he already felt entitled his first go around in the league and the fact that it has taken him so long to finally start working on his comeback makes me question his work ethic still. Him getting kicked out of the league(basically) 3 yrs. ago should have woken him up then, but it didn't. I have a pretty strong feeling that he has just blown through all his money he never deserved in the first place and now is looking for another payday. If he proves me wrong I'll gladly admit it and be happy for him, but I just don't think he has the right intentions right now.

Your questions are warranted. However, youth is a catalyst for bad decisions and regret. Every 5 years I look back and think how much I've learned.

I'm just sayin......give him the benefit of the doubt and don't vex him for his past mistakes. Let's not curse the guy. He was lazy by NFL standards but not a bad person like Leaf, for example. 

Then why make the same mistake twice....even with the paltry "vet minimum" of what, 375K?

Maybe it wouldn't be a mistake, aye? 

Nobody is letting him in the door without causation to do so. He would have to prove himself to some degree before any commitment was levied his way. 

Your questions are warranted. However, youth is a catalyst for bad decisions and regret. Every 5 years I look back and think how much I've learned.

I'm just sayin......give him the benefit of the doubt and don't vex him for his past mistakes. Let's not curse the guy. He was lazy by NFL standards but not a bad person like Leaf, for example. 

I hope he does prove me wrong and turns into a good NFL QB, but I'll just have to wait and see. I don't trust him, but then again, I don't trust anybody really.

Maybe it wouldn't be a mistake, aye? 

Nobody is letting him in the door without causation to do so. He would have to prove himself to some degree before any commitment was levied his way. 

Well....the QB market and his own performance will bear it out one way or another.

I can't say I like his odds....its the old "money doesn't create character, it reveals character" argument. Maybe he'll prove me wrong.

If it were my team....even in the most desperate of QB circumstances....I'd have to pass.

If they gave me $90 mil upfront without due cause and I decided I didn't like the job, you think ima give that coin b

ack to     Good point but i still don't like the effort and attitude

We could use him on our oline. I'm sure he is up to 340 bynow

Honestly, Jamarcus Russell reminds me of Albert Haynesworth when he signed with the Redskins. Heavy, slow, & out of shape. Even on our line, he'd be a huge liability not an asset. Both men suffered from horrible conditioning of their physical bodies. 

schefter.jpg

albert_haynesworth_jpgw_h.jpg?w=640

Jamarcus Russel it's fine to have a Phat bank account...[ $61 million dollar contract. Guaranteed money from Raiders owner Al Davis $39 million in the 2007 draft] It's not fine to literally be fat.

"As the No. 1 overall pick of the 2007 draft out of LSU, JaMarcus Russell was lucky to be drafted four years before the rookie wage scale kicked in. Russell turned into one of the biggest busts in NFL history, playing only 31 games and throwing for 18 touchdowns and 23 interceptions. What makes him a bigger flop is the ridiculous money -- $39 million collected for three years of doing nothing. Let's put this in perspective: It took Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers until November of last year to make $39 million. That's six-and-a-half years of decent work for what Russell basically stole." 

Here is the link: http://espn.go.com/blog/playbook/dollars/post/_/id/2106/2106

Is this your role model: Jabba the Hut from "Return Of The Jedi?"

15_jabba_starwars.jpg

What's that make y'all? 

What's that make y'all? 

Why don't you give tim tebow this much respect or opportunity?It seems only when things suit you,right?There's a word for people like yourself.

Why don't you give tim tebow this much respect or opportunity?It seems only when things suit you,right?There's a word for people like yourself.

First of all, fellow Colts guy, when and where did I espouse hatred for Tebow? 

Secondly; how does supporting Russel's comeback attempt in any way "suit" me? 

Third; I'm not real cool with your comment "people like yourself". 

Tebow is a fierce lion of a competitor. I admire his gusto greatly. I have said this here many times over. I feel he is not a skilled QB and will never develop into one. Though I would be happy to see him reach that mark if at all possible.

In closing; Check how you step to people that you do not know. 

MIllion dollar talent.     10 cent head.    

I'm a HUGE believer in 2nd chances,  and if JaMarcus gets one, I hope he does well.    This is not personal for me.

But his life is a mess as 300+ pounds will tell us all.    His family life is a mess.    His personal life is a mess.    And, IMO,  while he has great physical skills,  he does not have the mental skills/approach to playing the position.    He's the opposite of Andrew Luck, if you follow my meaning.....

I'd stay away....   far, far away.....

If  JaMarcus was working at it and got a good QB coach and back near a recommended weight, i would see what he could do. Yes his weight was a big problem but as far as play, what QB has made a name from themselves playing on the Raiders recently . Seems like people go there to die. If michael vick can get a second chance among others that have done a lot worse, this guy deserves one IF he works at it.

He'd fit right in with the Jets then, right NCF?

Honestly, I can't even think of a good fit for Jamarcus...

I'd be more inclined to consider Vince Young.   At least he has something like a 30-17 (approx) record as a starter.   I'm talking about as the GM of generic NFL team,  not for the Colts.