Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Our Julio Jones draft-day deal (2014)

I firmly believe Grigson and co. will go heavy on defense in this upcoming draft, while the o-line will be  strengthened in FA. However, one position that's not going to be addressed in either the draft or FA is WR. Reggie is still playing at a very high level, TY looks like the right deal as a future 2 (maybe a 1 - time will tell. BUT the premise of this post is that he'll be a our future 2), and I expect Brazill/Palmer to contribute more next season. With our new OC we will be using our TEs a lot more, which is another reason why I don't think WR is a priority this offseason.

Now to the point. After next season Reggie is only under contract for one more year! At that point we'll have to draft a sure fire 1 receiver. I personally want Luck to get a quality weapon right away, and not some project drafted in the 3rd or 4th round, who'll need more time to develop. Marvin and Reggie were both drafted in the 1st round. Luck should have the same luxury this one time.

As you remember the Falcons traded their 2011 1st, 2nd and 4th round pick and 2012 1st and 4th round pick to the Browns in order to move up and grab Julio Jones. Jones is now a borderline top 5 WR, while the Browns in return "got".... Phil Taylor, Greg Little, Owen Marecic and Brandon Weeden. Now, the Browns are not exactly known for their brilliance in drafting players, so  just because the Browns drafted those guys doesn't mean Atlanta would have. They could have drafted better players, even starters, but they would have never got their hands on a playmaker like Julio. I think the trade was well worth it for Atlanta.

I know we're not in the same exact situation as Atlanta, who felt they needed that one piece to get them over the hump (and they almost did this year with Julio playing a big part), but at that time next year the Colts will have a much upgraded o-line (both due to new players and new scheme) and some nice young pieces on defense. We will be in prime position to trade up for this guy..

Yes, Sammy Watkins. He is going to be something truly special at the next level and would be an instant replacement for Reggie (no disrespect Reg). He's a top 5 talent like Julio, but he could drop because of some character issues, so he wouldn't cost as much in a trade as Julio did.

So, Colts fans. What say you?

I don't see that happening with so many more pressing needs at a lot of different positions.

What if we don't have that many pressing needs next year? This offseason is unusual for us with this much money to spend. Add a solid draft. You never know. 

Draft a tall wr this year with speed and groom him and go from there

I wouldn't have a problem with that. An Aaron Dobson, Dan Buckner or Justin Hunter would be nice. I just get all giddy when thinking what Luck could do with a WR of Watkins' caliber. Especially after seeing what Ryan is doing with Julio. I know the starting post describes the least likely scenario.

What if we don't have that many pressing needs next year? This offseason is unusual for us with this much money to spend. Add a solid draft. You never know. 

Every NFL team (including us) will have some sort of pressing need in the offseason. I don't see us trading up for Watkins though, we will still need to fill positions. 

Every NFL team (including us) will have some sort of pressing need in the offseason. I don't see us trading up for Watkins though, we will still need to fill positions. 

Yes, but what if that pressing need is in fact WR? What if we have a solid o-line and promising players on defense come next offseason? Atlanta had needs too, but they felt WR was the biggest. With Reggie's contract almost being up couldn't you argue that getting a quality WR is our most pressing need? 

Yes, but what if that pressing need is in fact WR? What if we have a solid o-line and promising players on defense come next offseason? Atlanta had needs too, but they felt WR was the biggest. With Reggie's contract almost being up couldn't you argue that getting a quality WR is our most pressing need? 

With Pep moving to OC, our need isn't going to be WR immediately. Look for Fleener and Allen (mostly Allen) to have a good season with the new direction of the offense. And if the need should present itself next offseason with Reggie leaving, I don't say trade picks to move up, unless we are not far from that potential pick (which I hope we aren't). Grigson gave us a decent team with what little he had available; we could just find a sleeper this year or next. 

In today's modern NFL,  it's debatable whether to spend even a #1 on a WR.   The rules all favor WR's so you can get top performance out of WR's taken in lesser rounds....  

But, now you're proposing not just spending a single #1, but rather spending multiple picks including two #1's on a WR.

Personally, I wouldn't do it.    Not on anyone.    And I love me some Marquise Lee.   I think he's the Real Deal.    I'm just not sure -- yet -- that Watkins is.    He may be,  but I'd like to see it again next year.   (same with Lee)

We're going to have plenty of needs that I don't think we can afford to trade five draft picks to get one player.    No thanks.

And this isn't a hard call for me.    Not at all.

Hes talking about next year people, and just because we need help on the defense and at least 2 o line doesnt mean we can ignore other poistions. Reggie isnt going to be around for to much longer, he already doesnt want to learn the new system again. If we can get someone of the same or high caliber then go for it. Remember we have at least 7 draft picks maybe more...(considering the comp picks) and 46 mil (dont quote me) in cap space which at least what 90 % has to be spent....Someone of Jones caliber is worth it.

Hes talking about next year people, and just because we need help on the defense and at least 2 o line doesnt mean we can ignore other poistions. Reggie isnt going to be around for to much longer, he already doesnt want to learn the new system again. If we can get someone of the same or high caliber then go for it. Remember we have at least 7 draft picks maybe more...(considering the comp picks) and 46 mil (dont quote me) in cap space which at least what 90 % has to be spent....Someone of Jones caliber is worth it.

Actually no we are without a 2 and a 5 this year

I don't think I would be in favor of a Julio Jones type trade for the Colts.  Julio Jones is definitely a stud, but having Roddy White on the other side does not hurt(not to mention Tony Gonzalez) in helping Jones get open/single coverage. I don't know if I would ever be in favor of giving up that much for one player, but the Colts need a lot more pieces than we are going to get this off season before we would even be in a position to consider such a move.

We will need a WR to replace Reggie at some point... the sooner the better because we want him to get trained by #87 as well. The needs this season may be too great to be able to afford it, but I like the idea of making a bold move to get the perfect guy... I just don't want to mortgage the future of the franchise on a bust... one great player is worth countless bad ones, but serviceable guys are undervalued at the beginning of every year. It isn't until the season starts to wear on the starters that guys like Link and Conner are appreciated, so I dunno... interesting thought though...

I would rather have Hunter who will be at the bottom of round 1 if we wanted him, and don't forget that many receivers are made great by great quarterbacks. No doubt Julio Jones, and Green from that year are athletic freaks, but just remember how many receivers Peyton made look like number 1 receivers. So no real high draft pick for a number 1 imho.

It worked for the Falcons. If we see that kind of talent in Lee or Watkins or Brandon Coleman (look him up, 6'6, 4.4 40) we may move up. We'd be in Coleman and possibly Watkin's ranges, though.

Actually, It hasn't worked for the Falcons. They done that trade with the expectation of getting over the hump and winning a super bowl. That still hasn't happened because they are a soft team. Much like the Colts used to be. Dangerous regular season team that would get out toughed in the playoffs. They are so similar to our old Colts teams, it's eerie. I personally would never give up future high draft picks for any receiver. I want my team to be able to put better all around teams on the field instead of investing so much into skill positions. That was the Bill Polian philosophy and unless you're happy being a great regular season team and blowing it in the playoffs, I would rather sacrifice a little on the skill positions and invest into the trenches. 

Actually, It hasn't worked for the Falcons. They done that trade with the expectation of getting over the hump and winning a super bowl. That still hasn't happened because they are a soft team. Much like the Colts used to be. Dangerous regular season team that would get out toughed in the playoffs. They are so similar to our old Colts teams, it's eerie. I personally would never give up future high draft picks for any receiver. I want my team to be able to put better all around teams on the field instead of investing so much into skill positions. That was the Bill Polian philosophy and unless you're happy being a great regular season team and blowing it in the playoffs, I would rather sacrifice a little on the skill positions and invest into the trenches.

So because the Falcons haven't won a Super Bowl in the 2 year Jones has been playing he hasn't worked out. Got it.

So because the Falcons haven't won a Super Bowl in the 2 year Jones has been playing he hasn't worked out. Got it.

They said, when they made the trade that he was the final piece to their puzzle. They thought he was all they needed to get over the hump and win a super bowl. That hasn't happened yet, I don't care that its only been 2 yrs. or not, my point was it hasn't worked for them yet. 

Yes, Sammy Watkins. He is going to be something truly special at the next level and would be an instant replacement for Reggie (no disrespect Reg). He's a top 5 talent like Julio, but he could drop because of some character issues, so he wouldn't cost as much in a trade as Julio did.

So, Colts fans. What say you?

It's worth keeping an open mind to....within reason....because the 2014 free agent crop at WR doesn't offer a whole lot of truly impact WRs....

http://www.spotrac.com/free-agents/nfl/2014/wide-receiver/

Hakeem Nicks (injury bug?), Percy Harvin (various red flags) and Eric Decker (really a #1 WR?) are the top names there. So if we're looking for a WR to groom into or to take the "Reggie" role in our offense....that is a bonafide #1 WR....free agency probably won't do it.

Assuming we have all or most of our other needed upgrades squared away, then yes, I'd be in favor of trying to get Andrew a game-changer at WR. And if a blue-chip stud WR is available in, lets say, the 10-15 range in 2014....then I'm okay with exploring the option.

If it requires a Top 5 pick and what it would probably take for that kind of move....then we might as well completely sell our souls and trade all the way up for Jadeveon Clowney.

Considering we should have some comp picks from players we lost, I think there is a possible 3-5 picks we could get from players like tamme wheeler lackey and others need to look it up

Most players we cut before we let there contract expire so we actually won't be getting comp. Picks for Lacey and a plethora of others

They said, when they made the trade that he was the final piece to their puzzle. They thought he was all they needed to get over the hump and win a super bowl. That hasn't happened yet, I don't care that its only been 2 yrs. or not, my point was it hasn't worked for them yet. 

^^Agree^^ They definitely meant(or at least hoped) the Julio Jones trade would help get them to the Super Bowl by this year; because now they are out at least 1 new piece in Tony Gonzalez, and likely a 2nd in Turner (although he came on late/playoffs this year I think that was all will power/the last of the gas in the tank).

I didn't like the falcons giving up that much for jones, but I don't think that kept them from the SB. They just shot themselves in the foot after halftime.....roddy white falls down leads to a pick, Ryan fumbles a snap, and Douglas falls down like a 2hr old wildebeest on a potentially game winning catch.

Julio Jones is given as an example. He is very good indeed but where so far has that transaction gotten Falcons? They watch the Super Bowl like the rest of us. I truly believe that success can be achieved with an elite QB (check), good coaching, and smart players that give all they got and don't commit mental mistakes.