Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Do you think the NFL will ever add anymore expansion teams or do another re-allignment?

coltsfan_nyc

I regret to say that there will probably be expansion someday in our lifetime...   and I will oppose it with every fiber of my being...

The only reason i will happen is pure greed.    The expansion fees alone will be $1 Billion ++    And the owners will line their pockets.

The owners won't care about diluting their product.   There are already too many teams in my opinion in the NFL.   32 is too many in my opinion.    The quality of the games has gone down and will only continue to get worse.   There are too many players in the NFL right now who shouldn't be there. 

But this will happen someday.     And, don't bet on a team moving to LA.    Los Angeles has been used as a weapon to get a franchise a new stadium at taxpayer expense.   That's what the NFL has used LA for.    "OK, city of ____________  you'll have to help pay for a new stadium for your team, otherwise, the team will move to Los Angeles with the NFL's blessing."    It's been that way for roughly 20 years.

I hate expansion.   And the only thing I hate worse than expansion -- forgive me, this will be VERY politically incorrect -- is expansion to a foreign country.    I don't care if it's London, or Toronto, or Mexico City.     Don't get me started!    Oh,  whoops,  too late.....

I regret to say that there will probably be expansion someday in our lifetime... and I will oppose it with every fiber of my being...

The only reason i will happen is pure greed. The expansion fees alone will be $1 Billion ++ And the owners will line their pockets.

The owners won't care about diluting their product. There are already too many teams in my opinion in the NFL. 32 is too many in my opinion. The quality of the games has gone down and will only continue to get worse. There are too many players in the NFL right now who shouldn't be there.

But this will happen someday. And, don't bet on a team moving to LA. Los Angeles has been used as a weapon to get a franchise a new stadium at taxpayer expense. That's what the NFL has used LA for. "OK, city of ____________ you'll have to help pay for a new stadium for your team, otherwise, the team will move to Los Angeles with the NFL's blessing." It's been that way for roughly 20 years.

I hate expansion. And the only thing I hate worse than expansion -- forgive me, this will be VERY politically incorrect -- is expansion to a foreign country. I don't care if it's London, or Toronto, or Mexico City. Don't get me started! Oh, whoops, too late.....

Before luck was drafted here, did you follow a different team? This has nothing to do with this comment i have been meaning to ask you for awhile..

Before luck was drafted here, did you follow a different team? This has nothing to do with this comment i have been meaning to ask you for awhile..

I've been a fan of the 49ers....   even before they got great....    I was a Bill Walsh fan...  yes, even before he went to Stanford.   I was reading about him when he was an assistant with the Bengals and Chargers as a hot young coach with a great future.

Then -- boom! -- he becomes the Stanford coach.    Two years later -- boom! -- he becomes the 49ers coach.   Three years later -- boom! -- they win the Super Bowl.    I've admired them since Walsh went there.

I also have liked the Rams off and on during the John Robinson/Eric Dickerson years of the 80's....     but once JR left, with my job as a Sports Producer I just decided it was simpler and easier to be a fan of all good football teams,  well run football teams,  but not be a fan of any one team.    I didn't want to live and die with one team while I was trying to cover them objectively.   Too difficult.

Hope that clarifies without being more than you really wanted to know..... 

I've been a fan of the 49ers.... even before they got great.... I was a Bill Walsh fan... yes, even before he went to Stanford. I was reading about him when he was an assistant with the Bengals and Chargers as a hot young coach with a great future.

Then -- boom! -- he becomes the Stanford coach. Two years later -- boom! -- he becomes the 49ers coach. Three years later -- boom! -- they win the Super Bowl. I've admired them since Walsh went there.

I also have liked the Rams off and on during the John Robinson/Eric Dickerson years of the 80's.... but once JR left, with my job as a Sports Producer I just decided it was simpler and easier to be a fan of all good football teams, well run football teams, but not be a fan of any one team. I didn't want to live and die with one team while I was trying to cover them objectively. Too difficult.

Hope that clarifies without being more than you really wanted to know.....

Totally understand that. I loved Dickerson in his short time here

No they don't need to mess with it again. 4 teams in every division, it's finally evened out.

The problem is the NFL thinks about nothing but money. Look at them, expansion is always on their mind. They are just dying for 2 more teams to be added to screw up the divisions having one division with 5 teams all over again. L.A. does not need a team for crying out loud. The Rams were not good enough for the city, and they didn't want the Raiders anymore. I think the Raiders belong in L.A., and now that Al Davis is dead, the NFL is probably going to really push them to go back there.

The alignment is a joke anyway, always has been. The Cowboys should be in the West with the 49ers. I remember the old NFC West days, how they put Atlanta and New Orleans and even Carolina in the NFC West never made sense geographically since they are all on the east coast. Not to mention how the Cardinals were always in the East, when they are really based in the West.

If they tried to geographically fix it, it would destroy tons of divisional rivalries like putting Dallas in the west would eliminate the classic Redskins/Cowboys and Eagles/Cowboys, Giants/Cowboys rivalries. IMO the NFL will never ever fix the NFC East because it is a win win for them, all big market teams playing each other. Blow out or not it's money money money for them when it comes to all those divisional games.

The current alignment works out perfectly, even if some of the divisional choices are a little wonky from a geographic perspective.

They couldn't add just one more franchise; the divisions would be unfair because one would have to carry an extra team. The least cumbersome you could make it would be to add 4 franchises. Then there have to be three divisions in each conference with 6 teams each. 

32 is the perfect number. That's why relocation is much more likely than a new team being added.

Well if they do adds teams might as well put one team in each division. That means 8 new teams. Then the NFL can get their 18 game season.

8 division games

4 against opposing conference rotation

4 against same conference division rotation

2 against remaining same seeding conference teams

It would be nice to extend the football season a little bit to have the superbowl in in March right around March Madness or something. It would be cool to watch a couple of new franchises spring up and follow them as they try to compete, and to watch them establish their own traditions!

Also, get these divisions together, some of them are stupid. Miami in the AFC EAST, not south! So if you were a Patriot fan, you can probably follow your team to The Meadowlands, or a road trip to Buffallo, but that road trip to Miami, litterally at the bottom of the U.S. map would kind of suck, plus you would have to fly instead of driving a couple of hours each way like you can with the other teams in the division.

I would like to see an NFL team in TORONTO, ATLANTIC CITY NJ, RICHMOND VIRGINIA, AND MEXICO....yes, MEXICO. That would be cool.

Nfl in Toronto <3 it would bring in so much $$$$$$$$$$ the fans would lve it!

I'd like to see a rule where a state only has ONE nfl team. It's silly that Florida has the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Jacksonville Jaguars, AND Miami Dolphins. My god, they already have one of the top basketball teams in the country (Miami Heat). Does Florida not have enough to cheer for?

Why not move two of those NFL teams out to other parts of the country? It would be better for the local economies and give more fans a reason to get interested. If Goodell is serious about expanding the NFL, this should happen.

I strongly agree with this post, all 3 Florida teams are or have been struggling to fill seats in their stadiums. So why do they have 3 teams if they cannot support them? Doesn't make any sense to me.

I would love to see a team in Toronto. The only sad thing is they use the Bills games at Toronto to test the market if an NFL team is feasible there. It's kind of a joke because the Bills don''t feel like they''re at home in Toronto, and Toronto fans don't see the Bills as their home team. On top of that it's usually in December when the Bills are playing for a draft spot anyways,

I personally would rather see the NFL not expand again at any point in the future. 32 teams is a good fit, and leaves enough teams to compete without completely diluting the pool of talent.

Realignment is tough because there are certain things that will probably never happen... Miami being moved out the AFCE, for example. They're still in it because of the long-held rivalries within the division. A lot of the same applies to the NFCE and others.

It would be nice to extend the football season a little bit to have the superbowl in in March right around March Madness or something. It would be cool to watch a couple of new franchises spring up and follow them as they try to compete, and to watch them establish their own traditions!

Also, get these divisions together, some of them are stupid. Miami in the AFC EAST, not south! So if you were a Patriot fan, you can probably follow your team to The Meadowlands, or a road trip to Buffallo, but that road trip to Miami, litterally at the bottom of the U.S. map would kind of suck, plus you would have to fly instead of driving a couple of hours each way like you can with the other teams in the division.

I would like to see an NFL team in TORONTO, ATLANTIC CITY NJ, RICHMOND VIRGINIA, AND MEXICO....yes, MEXICO. That would be cool.

Anyone in NE or Miami would tell you it is a good rivalry. 

I agree..

Mexico City would support football and I have heard that the NFL is very popular there......I think Salt lake City would support football.

The NFL kinda has had an unspoken agreement not to go into Canada...

I'v always thought Omaha and Las Vegas could support teams and Chicago could support an AFC team..

Well if they do adds teams might as well put one team in each division. That means 8 new teams. Then the NFL can get their 18 game season.

8 division games

..and we are going to 18 games with 2 bye weeks....

the injury concerns are bogus...because head trauma has nothing to do with how many games you play..

...the NFLPA will agree to it if you expand the rosters

..and there's no reason the NFL season cant extend to the end of February...ending just before the NCAA tournament...

The current alignment works out perfectly, even if some of the divisional choices are a little wonky from a geographic perspective.

They couldn't add just one more franchise; the divisions would be unfair because one would have to carry an extra team. The least cumbersome you could make it would be to add 4 franchises. Then there have to be three divisions in each conference with 6 teams each. 

32 is the perfect number. That's why relocation is much more likely than a new team being added.

They could easily add LA, Mexico City, Omaha and an AFC team in Chicago..

I agree..

Mexico City would support football and I have heard that the NFL is very popular there......I think Salt lake City would support football.

I'v always thought Omaha and Las Vegas could support teams and Chicago could support an AFC team..

Expanding to Mexico City is a horrible idea because the players are not going to want to live there.  Places like Buffalo have a hard enough time pulling free agents.  Nothing says sign with us than we are the kidnapping capital of the world.  Mexico City might be a nice novelty for a preseason game, but for a long term franchise it would just not be sustainable. Also, I really doubt the NFL really wants to play second fiddle to soccer because they would always be the second popular sport in that country.

Adding all these teams would just do one thing and that is dilute the talent pool and make the competition go down.  It would start t suffer like all the other major sports because of over expansion.  All the other sports could kill off a few teams and they would be in great shape.

The NFL could move a few teams like maybe Jacksonville, but expansion should be out of the question.  Ultimately, I do not think they will ever let LA get a team because LA is such a bargaining chip when it comes to new stadium time for teams.  Owners can threaten cities with leaving to LA and then the city will capitulate because no politician wants to be the one that lets a NFL team goes.  

8 division games

My math may be off, but if they add one team to each division, wouldnt that make a 20 game season???

8 division games

5 against opposing conference rotation

5 against same conference division rotation

2 against remaining same seeding conference team

I like the idea of expansion east L.A needs a team , it would put locals back to work building & after its built the criminal's in my old home town will be gainfully employed relieving visitors of possesions that all of a sudden they nolonger want , Sorta like a Robin Hood story , Its heartwarming & makes me homesick .

I also would like to see the Redskins moved to the middle east . I just think Chicks in Burqa's are HOT .

Plus the home games, dudes in dresses with Pig Snouts screaming go RG3 in Farci, not to mention the home field turf is all ready better than what the Redskins finished there season on ..

I agree..

What nfl player would want to life in Mexico city? They have families to think about as well. Plus the expendable income in Mexico is not what it is in the us. No way they put a franchise there

My math may be off, but if they add one team to each division, wouldnt that make a 20 game season???

8 division games

5 against opposing conference rotation

5 against same conference division rotation

2 against remaining same seeding conference team

Yea, I forgot about each division would have 5 then.