Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Do you think the NFL will ever add anymore expansion teams or do another re-allignment?

coltsfan_nyc

It would be nice to extend the football season a little bit to have the superbowl in in March right around March Madness or something. It would be cool to watch a couple of new franchises spring up and follow them as they try to compete, and to watch them establish their own traditions!

Also, get these divisions together, some of them are stupid. Miami in the AFC EAST, not south! So if you were a Patriot fan, you can probably follow your team to The Meadowlands, or a road trip to Buffallo, but that road trip to Miami, litterally at the bottom of the U.S. map would kind of suck, plus you would have to fly instead of driving a couple of hours each way like you can with the other teams in the division.

I would like to see an NFL team in TORONTO, ATLANTIC CITY NJ, RICHMOND VIRGINIA, AND MEXICO....yes, MEXICO. That would be cool.

I'd like to see a rule where a state only has ONE nfl team. It's silly that Florida has the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Jacksonville Jaguars, AND Miami Dolphins. My god, they already have one of the top basketball teams in the country (Miami Heat). Does Florida not have enough to cheer for?

Why not move two of those NFL teams out to other parts of the country? It would be better for the local economies and give more fans a reason to get interested. If Goodell is serious about expanding the NFL, this should happen.

What about more expansions? Do you think the NFL will eventually add more teams?

I don't see it happening, they would have to add 8 more teams to keep each division balanced, and on top of that they would have to play at least two more games per year, and then, if your a powerhouse in a really weak division, that gives you get a huge edge, playing 8 games vs your division rivals.

I'd like to see a rule where a state only has ONE nfl team. It's silly that Florida has the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Jacksonville Jaguars, AND Miami Dolphins. My god, they already have one of the top basketball teams in the country (Miami Heat). Does Florida not have enough to cheer for?

Why not move two of those NFL teams out to other parts of the country? It would be better for the local economies and give more fans a reason to get interested. If Goodell is serious about expanding the NFL, this should happen.

California has the Oakland Raiders, the San Diego Chargers and the San Francisco 49ers.

Texas has the Houston Texans and the Dallas Cowboys.

Ohio has the Cinncinati Bengals and the Cleveland Browns.

Florida has the Miami Dolphins, Tampa Bay Buccaneers and the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Missouri has the St Louis Rams and the Kansas City Chiefs.

New York has the NY Giants, the NY Jets and the Buffalo Bills.

Pennsylvania has the Pittsburgh Steelers and the Philadelphia Eagles.

New York has three teams, California has three and a possible fourth in a few years. Texas has two teams. Heck Missouri has two teams.

NY has the Jets, Giants, and Bills as well.

California has the Chargers, 49ers, and Raiders

New York has three teams, California has three and a possible fourth in a few years. Texas has two teams. Heck Missouri has two teams.

Not trying to be a * or anyhting. But New York only has one team.

California has the Oakland Raiders, the San Diego Chargers and the San Francisco 49ers.

Texas has the Houston Texans and the Dallas Cowboys.

Ohio has the Cinncinati Bengals and the Cleveland Browns.

Florida has the Miami Dolphins, Tampa Bay Buccaneers and the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Missouri has the St Louis Rams and the Kansas City Chiefs.

New York has the NY Giants, the NY Jets and the Buffalo Bills.

Pennsylvania has the Pittsburgh Steelers and the Philadelphia Eagles.

I was just using Florida as an example. We have 50 states, and the possibility of a team in Mexico and Europe. With 32 NFL teams, that's more than enough. Doesn't matter how much it costs, it's football. The sport brings in billions in revenue. Make this transition slowly over the coming decades. Let's get this gravy train rolling!

Yup, that's

Yea, I was just using Florida as an example. My point is, move them! We have 50 states, and the possibility of a team in Mexico and Europe. Goodell needs to do something about this.

Teams don't like going cross country to play games, can you imagine if there was a team in Europe? Also a state like Idaho ornorth Dakota could never have an NFL team. the markets are just too small

Not to mention College Football, Florida, Florida State & Miami U , maybe it went like hmm, 3 college big time programs, lets get 3 NFL programs too

When a team moves to LA there might be a realignment. I really hope so too. I want to get out of the South.

AFCN is where we should be. I mean think about it. Three teams that left the NFL for the AFC, Steelers, Colts, and Browns. Plus geographically makes sense.

Put Colts in afc North & call them the midwest division { esp if trade  steelers for bears or lions & have them switch conferances ( LOL ) }, Balt goes east somewhere

i can see the bills moving to canada. most likely move i see is the jaguars moving to LA. no offense to jacksonville, but all I keep hearing is how the fans are never into the game granted the jags are well the jags, but you have other franchise that have suffered much longer then the jags like the lions chiefs browns, but their fans are still screaming their lungs out

Okay, what about my TORONTO and MEXICO team idea, two expansion teams on our continent! I think that would be hot!

I'm always leAry of expansion due to the NBA, but......I think it was mike lombardi who claimed Mexico City would be the best option for expansion outside the US.

i don't favor expansion until every existing market can fully support the franchises already in place

maybe when it does happen, four new teams could be added and each conference could have 3 divisions with 6 teams each. i love how the scheduling rotation works now and wouldn't want to muck it up with a partial expansion

if the nfl continues it's current popularity explosion, this may be reality in about 5 years

i don't favor expansion until every existing market can fully support the franchises already in place

maybe when it does happen, four new teams could be added and each conference could have 3 divisions with 6 teams each. i love how the scheduling rotation works now and wouldn't want to muck it up with a partial expansion

if the nfl continues it's current popularity explosion, this may be reality in about 5 years

That would be cool!

i know this wont happen like in years or probably EVER but man I'D KILL to have a NFL team in Guadalajara, Mexico (where I live).

There is a pretty nice number of NFL fans here in Mexico, specially here in Guadalajara, and the last 3 years the growth has escalated ridiculous..i mean seriously this was all about soccer, now people are having a hard time deciding between NFL and mexicna soccer league.

The first non North American team (if it ever happens) will be in London. Why do you think they are having 4 Jags games there in consecutive years? Testing the water. We have two games next season, and provided they get their 75-80,000, they will move it to 3 and so on. But it will reach saturation point eventually. London will not get the fan base for a new team in my opinion, as we all already have a team. Sure, the Jags are trying to develop a new fans base, but they will not be good enough to attract the new young European fans... 

Missouri does have 2 teams but kc i s basically kansas. They don't have anything close to another market for a team so its basically theirs too. I think of the Rams as more of our team, but there aren't many fans around here.

OT: they will do both at some point, but I don't agree with more teams, more teams in the playoffs nor more games.more teams will ruin the equality now. I like the 4 team divisions. You can argue that they arent aligned correctly but tbh tennessee isnt south either. Rams arent in any direct and neither are kc.

I live in NY and am often asked why I am a Colts fan, and not a fan of a NY team. (I will get to my point and how it relates to the thread in a moment) In NY we really only have one team - The Buffalo Bills, as both the "NY" teams play in New Jersey. There are many fans of all three teams in the area where I live, and Also many annoying Patriots fans to boot. As a temporary resident of Indianapolis, and having seen my first game in a Stadium there (1997), it makes it easy to be a Colts fan. Moreover, since there is no local team where I live, and such a diverse fan base here, (Albany NY) It also adds to that ease. 

As a "fish out of water" being a Colts fan in a NY Market, I have often watched games from other venues to see how many fans of the visiting team are actually in the stadium. I am surprised that more and more, you see fans of visiting teams attending games, and this cannot all be attributed to travel. Many of these visiting fans have to live in the markets where the home team is. This can be attributed to more people moving in and out of these markets. Also the ability to see your favorite team play VIA increased television channels and media coverage is greatly increased from just 20 years ago.

Now on to my realted point. Do we need expansion teams, I think the biggest question is finding the markets to have them play in. ANY team can be supported by the outside market, and a fan base that can spread across the country. The real question is, can a fan base fill and support the staduim they are playing in?

Here in Albany we have never had a NFL level team, we did have - an Arena Football team called the Firebirds. They were Arena Champions a number of years in a row, and it was a sense of local pride to have that team here. Ultimately they could not keep the Times Union Center's seats filled - even with their asounding record(s) and the team eventually moved to - Indianapolis. So to illustrate my points - If a team cannot fill a stadium in a smaller market, it makes no sense to put a team there. The existing teams have fans outside of their local base, and those fan bases should be encouraged in smaller markets. This can be done by the occasional game being played in a smaller market - which could extend the NFL season by having 2 visiting teams play in smaller markets. This could easily bring on the extended NFL season and stimmulate the economy at the same time.

that just my opinion 

I live in NY and am often asked why I am a Colts fan, and not a fan of a NY team. (I will get to my point and how it relates to the thread in a moment) In NY we really only have one team - The Buffalo Bills, as both the "NY" teams play in New Jersey. There are many fans of all three teams in the area where I live, and Also many annoying Patriots fans to boot. As a temporary resident of Indianapolis, and having seen my first game in a Stadium there (1997), it makes it easy to be a Colts fan. Moreover, since there is no local team where I live, and such a diverse fan base here, (Albany NY) It also adds to that ease. 

As a "fish out of water" being a Colts fan in a NY Market, I have often watched games from other venues to see how many fans of the visiting team are actually in the stadium. I am surprised that more and more, you see fans of visiting teams attending games, and this cannot all be attributed to travel. Many of these visiting fans have to live in the markets where the home team is. This can be attributed to more people moving in and out of these markets. Also the ability to see your favorite team play VIA increased television channels and media coverage is greatly increased from just 20 years ago.

Now on to my realted point. Do we need expansion teams, I think the biggest question is finding the markets to have them play in. ANY team can be supported by the outside market, and a fan base that can spread across the country. The real question is, can a fan base fill and support the staduim they are playing in?

Here in Albany we have never had a NFL level team, we did have - an Arena Football team called the Firebirds. They were Arena Champions a number of years in a row, and it was a sense of local pride to have that team here. Ultimately they could not keep the Times Union Center's seats filled - even with their asounding record(s) and the team eventually moved to - Indianapolis. So to illustrate my points - If a team cannot fill a stadium in a smaller market, it makes no sense to put a team there. The existing teams have fans outside of their local base, and those fan bases should be encouraged in smaller markets. This can be done by the occasional game being played in a smaller market - which could extend the NFL season by having 2 visiting teams play in smaller markets. This could easily bring on the extended NFL season and stimmulate the economy at the same time.

that just my opinion 

Welcome to the boards fellow NY Colts fan!

My cousin and I are diehard colts fans, we live near Kingston.

I expect to see you at the Colts @ Giants game in 2014!

Unless the NFL is planning to add 4 teams and then reconfigure those 36 teams into 6 divisions with 6 teams each...I highly doubt we'll see an expansion any time soon.

Realignment is another story....that could, and in a Jacksonville to L.A. scenario, should happen.

If the Jags were to move to L.A...then I'd swap them over to the NFC West and move St. Louis to the AFC South.

AFC South

Indianapolis

Houston

St. Louis

Tennessee

NFC West

San Francisco

Arizona

Los Angeles

Seattle

At least it makes sense geographically....and wouldn't really foul up any rivalries. The Rams/49ers rivalry died when the Rams left So Cal.

I would hope not because more teams will just dilute the talent pool even more than it is now. You throw in a couple more teams and you get more players who should probably not even be in the league. A problem a lot of the major leagues face is they have expanded way to much. The NBA could do without 3-4 teams they have now.

I hated the idea when the NFL wanted to increase the number of games. The biggest problems with sports like the NBA, NHL, and MLB is a lot of their games are just meaningless. Baseball plays 165 games a season and a lot of those games really are meaningless. With the NFL each and every week is so meaningful because you only have 16 games.

I would not mind some realignment though if they focused on fostering regional rivalries. If we were in a division with Titans, Bears, and Bengals some real rivalries could be created.

Adding teams at this point seems like a bad idea to me. There aren't many cities I can think of that could support an NFL team given the current geographic distribution and you'd have to add 4 more to get able to split the teams into three six team divisions. 

I wouldn't mind a team in Mexico or Canada. I think if expansion were to happen then these would be the only way to make it work. I think London sounds like a terrible idea. Can you imagine being the London team and having to travel eight games a season? Not to mention if they made the playoffs. 

I do like the idea of divisional realignment though. From a purely geographic standpoint it would be easy, but it gets a little more difficult when you have to take into consideration existing rivalries. 

If there was a realignment I wouldn't want the other teams to be as close as possible, For example, If the COLTS were in the same division as the bears,lions,(browns or bengals) it would make an easy drive for the visiting teams fans, which I think would take away the whole idea of home field advantage.

Adding teams at this point seems like a bad idea to me. There aren't many cities I can think of that could support an NFL team given the current geographic distribution and you'd have to add 4 more to get able to split the teams into three six team divisions. 

I wouldn't mind a team in Mexico or Canada. I think if expansion were to happen then these would be the only way to make it work. I think London sounds like a terrible idea. Can you imagine being the London team and having to travel eight games a season? Not to mention if they made the playoffs. 

I do like the idea of divisional realignment though. From a purely geographic standpoint it would be easy, but it gets a little more difficult when you have to take into consideration existing rivalries. 

Yeah....I don't see how they'd make a London franchise work.

Could you imagine....San Diego at London? Ouch.