Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Could Manusky's job be in jeopardy?

UKColt13

"Lack of Improvement"

*Looks at Vaughn* Look what you did smh

Manusky isn't going anywhere. What has he done wrong??? Believe it or Not, Defense Won us some games. Like the Chiefs Game. To let a team rush for 300+ yards and NOT Blow us out is a positive imo. Give Manusky more playmakers and I think you'll see the "Improvement" that the article is looking for. Idk why they say there's been no improvement. But hey, everyone has their own opinions

There's so much room for improvement on defense, but we were significantly better than 2011. I don't know how anyone can look at the roster and the circumstances and think that Manusky is on the hot seat. He could be next season, if we give him an upgraded secondary and a couple playmakers, and the defense doesn't improve. But right now? He's fine.

Even if it was Brad Wells who wrote it, it's still an interesting assertion.

Problem is, Brad Wells doesn't need much in the way of facts to come up with "an interesting assertion."

He's not comfortable unless he has a whipping boy. All his favorites are gone, so now he's turning his ire on Manusky. And the entire basis is that John Pagano was supposedly flapping in the wind, and Chuck Pagano would be willing to jettison Manusky in order to hire his brother. That thinking is now outdated, since the Chargers have committed to John Pagano for the 2013 season.

I was kind of hoping JP would be released in San Diego, and then we'd hire him as a defensive assistant. The more Pagano, the better. But I don't think Tom Telesco was interested in letting him walk away without getting a chance to work with him up close.

Either way, Wells' article is entirely speculation, and classic Wells' mountain out of molehill writing. Very easy to dismiss.

Even if it was Brad Wells who wrote it, it's still an interesting assertion.

Hardly anything wells writes is interesting. See Superman's post above.

I did read the post, however, (I won't go so far as to dignify it an "article") and I must say props to brad. It appears he finally wrote a post that didnt include his obligatory "I was right about Manning's injury long before everyone else" boast that has become so commonplace for him.

This article is ridiculous. There is no reason why Manusky should be in trouble. The defense was better than 2011 and he didn't exactly have much to work with. He also mentioned Pagano's brother was out there and thats not true. He is still the DC with the Chargers.

The Brad Wells article is ridiculous....

I wasn't around in 2011,  but the record was 2-14...   and the record this year was 11-5.    That alone gives Manusky all the cover he needs. 

In addition, Grigson came out on the day Arians was hired by Arizona and said he thought that was it for changes on the staff.  No more.    That right there should've ended it for Wells, but no...

If the Colts were going to make a change one would think they would've made it days after the loss to the Ravens.   By now, all the good candidates have already been hired by other teams!    

Earth to Brad Wells!    Hello?!?

Further,  after the draft,  Pagano or Grigson were quoted as saying Manusky was going nuts in their war room as they kept bypassing defensive players to take another offensive guy.   That he was in the Colts gym riding off some steam.     In short, Manusky knows he was given very little to work with.    This defense was held together by duct tape,  super glue and twine.  

To hold Manusky accountable for not having a better defense is beyond ridiculous.  

Wells doesn't know his *** from a hole in the wall...    Seriously.     :facepalm:      :loco:

This article is ridiculous. There is no reason why Manusky should be in trouble. The defense was better than 2011 and he didn't exactly have much to work with. He also mentioned Pagano's brother was out there and thats not true. He is still the DC with the Chargers.

Statistically, the D was pretty bad. But if you consider everything you said, and the fact that they gave up one TD in each of the last four games, they played a lot better than the stats show.

Wells is more interested in stirring up controversy that actually writing an informative story.

I thought he did well with the players we had on D. I also liked a lot of the adjustments made after half time in alot of the games. There is room for improvement,but we all know that quality players will make the scheme better overall.

That's a good point. Outside of three or four games, we gave up very few second half points.

Manusky is a good 3/4 coach! He is very much responsable for the MONSTER of a defense now in SF. This article is stupid! We rearly didn't draft anybody of note other than Chapman who was hurt. Changed scheme added lots of people in free agents & trades. And LOTS of injuries! Honestly I think the defense played better than I tought they would. Still have work to do, I think it will come. Freeney injury frist game hurt. seemed to bother him all year untill the end of the season. Needs, a real SS who can tackle & hit, Zib, SUCKS, Joe was MUCH better than him, more pass rush needed, ends & middle, maybe 1 more IIB & a couple of CB's as I see it.

I can't believe I did it but I did. After swearing off never reading Brad Wells article again, I fell victim to this thread and opened the link. And now my eyes are burning and I am dumber for having read it.

I can't believe that guy has followers who read his "insight." That guy is a clown with crazy suggestions and the faultiest of logic. No one should ever take anything he says literally and view it all, if you do actually read it, with a very discerning eye. He is exactly what is wrong with the internet - it gives the clueless a voice.

Statistically, the D was pretty bad. But if you consider everything you said, and the fact that they gave up one TD in each of the last four games, they played a lot better than the stats show.

Wells is more interested in stirring up controversy that actually writing an informative story.

Exactly Stats don't always tell the whole picture.

Manusky is no where near the hotseat.  Considering the players we had, the cap room we didn't have and us picking up guys off the street, i feel confident to say his job is safe.  I don't see improvment needing to be more wins, more along the lines of better stats, more INT's and sacks less yards given up.

Hopefully with the offense being somewhat set (skill positions anyway) I see this as The defenses draft and FA will be a bit of both.

I have not been impressed with Manusky so far.

The new 2012 Colts were supposed to run an aggressive blitzing 3/4 scheme.

I realize the personnel may not have been the greatest. Yet, I didn't see the style defense we were promised.

I'm not saying he's the next Buddy Ryan, but like you said, considering the personnel...

Also, he could only blitz when it was called for, if you know what I mean.  And we didn't exactly have the cover guys either.  So, the question are - was anyone underutilized?  How could he have been better?  Did he get the most out of what he had?

All that said, he definitely deserves another year, and hopefully with better personnel.

I thought he did a great job. Look at the talent on defense we had this past year. He lost a lot on the D-Line and the D was good enough to make it to the playoffs. Vontae improved into what is looking like a potential top 10 corner for us in the future.

I have not been impressed with Manusky so far.The new 2012 Colts were supposed to run an aggressive blitzing 3/4 scheme.I realize the personnel may not have been the greatest. Yet, I didn't see the style defense we were promised.

Draft Rhodes or Elam in the draft and I bet you we can hold up better in the secondary and be more aggressive on defense.

Based on a few articles I have read recently saying that he could be in trouble due to "lack of improvement" on defense this year.

Personally I don't agree, he did his best with what he had to work with.

Any thoughts?

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2013/1/18/3890064/could-greg-manusky-be-next-to-go-in-indianapolis

Honestly, I thought that was the most non-sensical article I've read in years.  He contridicts himself regarding Manusky, then starts to speculate that Pagano's job might be in danger?  Where are the other articles you've read speculating about this?

I have not been impressed with Manusky so far.

The new 2012 Colts were supposed to run an aggressive blitzing 3/4 scheme.

I realize the personnel may not have been the greatest. Yet, I didn't see the style defense we were promised.

The bolded part is the reason the defense had deficiencies.  I love Freeney, I hope he retires a colt, but he is a fish out of water in this new scheme, not to mention he may be past his prime?  Mathis I believe has the skill set to make the transition, he may not be a world beater but a good OLB.  Also a defensive line that has been undersized for forever, and everybody knows the colts problems with the DT position, and that was with the old scheme.  We have Chapman (who is my vote to anchor the line for years to come) :goodluck: Manusky was sticking square pegs in round holes all over the field.  Not to mention the nickel CB position is a revolving door, Powers is a zone corner guy. 

Again I don't think the improvements will be in w's and l's but the yards given up, td's scored upon and turrnovers created.

Draft Rhodes or Elam in the draft and I bet you we can hold up better in the secondary and be more aggressive on defense.

I want Rhodes badly, when he is being compared to L.Webb thats always a good thing

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl-mock-draft/2013/1/20/3896916/xavier-rhodes-2013-nfl-draft-scouting-report

I'm not saying he's the next Buddy Ryan, but like you said, considering the personnel...

Also, he could only blitz when it was called for, if you know what I mean.  And we didn't exactly have the cover guys either.  So, the question are - was anyone underutilized?  How could he have been better?  Did he get the most out of what he had?

All that said, he definitely deserves another year, and hopefully with better personnel.

Lefeged(sp) I am assuming Pagano didn't wanna bench Zibs, especially after he asked him to come with him but he is not our safety of the future.  This needs to be another offseason priority via FA or the draft.

Like the offense, I feel the defense is just a few pieces away from being a monster that it truly can be and we have bucket loads of cash to spend!!!!

Who cares about the SB lets go Offseason! :td::blueshoe: :disco:

fodder from the uninformed, this is the same guy that said Angerer wasn't adapting to the 3-4 Never mind that he had to take pain shots every week just to walk.....he needed season ending foot surgery and put it off to help where he could........thats right Brad, he wasn't picking up the defense it had nothing to do with the fact that he should have been in a t-shirt on the sidelines leaning on his crutches......thats "crack" journalism there.....