Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Grigsons first draft

polians_pundit

Well now that the season is over, I wanted to get everyones opinion on how the new regime did on their first season. With out a doubt Grigson had a great draft in 2012.

1st Round: Luck - What can you say, he was hyped to be the next best thing, and even though the turnovers were high, give him another two years and I think we will say that we got the right guy.

2nd Round: Fleener - Loved the pick at the time, not so sure about it now. Its early in his career so I wont label him a bust just yet.

3rd Round: Allen - Showed why he should of been the number one tight end in last years draft.

3rd Round: Hilton - Will be the number 2 reciever next year. Seven TD's for a rookie reciever, yeah I like this pick

5th Round: Chapman - I hope this guy gets healthy. I would love to see what kind of destruction he can cause to the opposings team running game. And everyone knows that what our defense needs is help with the run

5th Round: Ballard - He showed he can replace Donald Brown not to mention had one of the higlights of the year.  I like this kid, but I thought Mike Hart was going to excell too.

6th Round: Brazil - He adds depth. Hilton and Brazil hopefully are the next Wayne and Harrison.

What do you guys think.  GO COLTS

I think our Draft was definitely good. We all knew who was coming #1 Overall. After that it was in the air. I really commended the staff when they grabbed Fleener. What better way to make a Rookie QB comfortable than to get his #1 Target from Stanford & his roommate

I think Grigs did a great job... @ first I wasn't totally happy.. the 3rd pick Allen.. I wanted an Olinemen to protect our future..

Wasn't happy with the trade up for TY.. thought it wasn't prudent.. and lost a pick for this year..

wasn't happy with the 5th rnd pick of  ballard.. thought we were A OK with our RB's... not great, but enough to get the job done..

thought we should have also grabbed a CB.. still think we should have grabbed dennard as an UDFA..

After the fact ... WOW !!!!

Allen Pick... GREAT !

TY... Great !!

Ballard Great.. ( who knew that we woudl ahve had Brown and Carter injured @ the same time

Chapman... books still out on him, but I liked the pick and after it seems they might have rushed ILajana back to soon giving him more time to recover I think was the best move..

Brazil.. maybe our sleeper in the draft.. can't wait to see what he can do this year..

Fleener..was disappointed , but I think with him seeing how fast the NFL is, being hurt and the new offense he did ok..

But I am totally pumped with him being reunited with his OC from Standford and I see him defintely owning up to his 2nd round pick and having a great year..

Can't wait to see what he does in the FA and the draft !!!

1st year   A+

Defintely is  :" Executive of the Year "

This draft was the best draft that the colts have had in my lifetime 30 years.  We got at least 4 or 5 starters for the next 5 to 10 years.  I think with the slight change in offensive strategy with Pep Hamilton you will see that the Allen and Fleener picks will pay huge dividends.  Ballard will be a bowling ball runner for us for at least the next 4-5 years.  TY had a great rookie campaign and I think will only get better.  I think that there is a chance that Chapman will be a starting nose tackle but that remains to be seen.  Brazil is a good 4th receiver maybe a 3 if he develops.

Well now that the season is over, I wanted to get everyones opinion on how the new regime did on their first season. With out a doubt Grigson had a great draft in 2012.

2nd Round: Fleener - Loved the pick at the time, not so sure about it now. Its early in his career so I wont label him a bust just yet.

I agree it was a very nice draft....but this was the pick I was actually torn over when it happened.

I understood the rationale for taking Fleener with his familiarity to Andrew Luck...and the fact that he's a pretty darn good TE when healthy....which I hope he is gong forward.

But man, it was tough to see us leave OGs Cordy Glenn or Keleche Osemele on the board. Both of those roadgraders had really solid rookie seasons.

And the irony is that maybe Luck progressed faster by NOT always having Fleener available as the "security blanket" many touted him as. Reggie, T.Y. and Allen had nice seasons considering we literally started from scratch.

I'm fine with the Fleener pick though...we weren't gonna fix everything in one draft and our cap space was next to nothing. And it sounds like two TEs with receiving skills will be a big part of our offense. Hopefully Coby can stay well and along with Allen...deliver some real mismatches for Luck to exploit.

And I look forward to seeing Chapman healthy at NT to see what he can do.

I'm sure Grigson will address our other needs starting with Free Agency in March and hopefully another solid draft. :)

In hindsight, it could have been better. Luck was a no-brainer. Allen, Hilton and Ballard were great picks (especially moving up for Hilton).

Fleener seems like a reach, more about familiarity with Luck than being the best guy there. Upshaw and Glenn were still available. Upshaw probably makes us more willing to get rid of Freeney, and Glenn gives us a starting caliber guy with upside on the offensive line. However, we only had Eldridge on the roster at the time (and we released him a while later), so the pick makes sense. And Fleener has a lot of upside. But not the best pick we could have made.

Jury is still out on Chapman, but I have to believe the team expected him to play last season. Hopefully he's healthy in time for camp. I expected us to take OG Adam Gettis there; he barely played for the Redskins. CB Josh Norman was still there, and he had a decent year for the Panthers. Those were the two biggest needs for the team this season, and I think we'd have gotten more bang for our buck in that regard.

I like Brazill, but he didn't contribute all that much. Lots of promise, though.

Justin Anderson was probably the worst pick of the draft. But at least it was a position of need. I was expecting Audie Cole, and he didn't do anything for the Vikings. Richard Crawford was still there also, who did okay for the Redskins. Same thoughts here for the Fugger pick, which didn't work out for us. Most of that is because of his injury, but I think we could have done better there. Harnish didn't play for us, but I think that was a good pick as well, and he's still on the roster.

None of this is fair, not even remotely. Can't go back and cherry-pick what the GM should have done now that you see how players panned out. We wound up with five starting caliber players and another rotational player out of ten picks. That's a rock solid draft, even with a couple of mistakes.

Covered very well by the 1st three posters. A Solid A!

Of course Fleenor was an Excellent Pick after the pick he said he missed on.

Grigson PASSED on several nice players wanted by some. He had VAST more knowledge to base his decision on than ALL arm chair GM`s.

Give him credit for seeing the promise and knowing the draft value of T.Y. That was a Precision move with Superior dividends.

This was an EASY draft for him. From now on he drafts in the back half and failure means much more.

Feel 99.9% good that our Colts have Great people with the Skill to build a Contender in time.

Excitment Galore!

Chapter One was filled with results beyond reasonable expectation. That is a fun way to travel! Go Blue!

I agree it was a very nice draft....but this was the pick I was actually torn over when it happened.

I understood the rationale for taking Fleener with his familiarity to Andrew Luck...and the fact that he's a pretty darn good TE when healthy....which I hope he is gong forward.

But man, it was tough to see us leave OGs Cordy Glenn or Keleche Osemele on the board. Both of those roadgraders had really solid rookie seasons.

And the irony is that maybe Luck progressed faster by NOT always having Fleener available as the "security blanket" many touted him as. Reggie, T.Y. and Allen had nice seasons considering we literally started from scratch.

I'm fine with the Fleener pick though...we weren't gonna fix everything in one draft and our cap space was next to nothing. And it sounds like two TEs with receiving skills will be a big part of our offense. Hopefully Coby can stay well and along with Allen...deliver some real mismatches for Luck to exploit.

And I look forward to seeing Chapman healthy at NT to see what he can do.

I'm sure Grigson will address our other needs starting with Free Agency in March and hopefully another solid draft. :)

Grigson won't make that mistake again with road graders watching Andrew run for his life all year as well as contuining to get hammered all year long.