Photo

Reputation Points or Unlimited Likes?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
96 replies to this topic

#81 shakedownstreet

shakedownstreet
  • 6534 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:36 PM

Thanks for the 411....   as someone who likes to give out 'likes' I look forward to more discussion on this issue and to see where it goes....    thanks for all your hard work and effort with this....

(ooops, there I go again,  trolling for another like!)      :thanks:

say you have a clean slate of likes, as in you've been away for a few days. your daily limit would reset 24 hours later than the time you handed out your first like

if you are here every day handing out likes, your reset time would be whenever you handed out you first ever like

Game Rewind: Relive every NFL moment…subscribe to Game Rewind. Relive every NFL moment…subscribe to Game Rewind.

#82 braveheartcolt

braveheartcolt
  • 4454 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:43 PM

Ah, that's what the green box with a number in it is! I thought that was the number of posts asking if Jerry Hughes would have a break-out year.

Silly me.

"If I make a comment and it is not backed up by factual evidence, take it as my opinion, and my opinion only"....

#83 MAC

MAC

"It was a dark and stormy night"

• 4767 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:44 PM

say you have a clean slate of likes, as in you've been away for a few days. your daily limit would reset 24 hours later than the time you handed out your first like

if you are here every day handing out likes, your reset time would be whenever you handed out you first ever like

You think so? I just assumed that each like stayed on the system for 24 hours, and you got blocked if you accumulated more than X amount during any 24 hour window.

#84 shakedownstreet

shakedownstreet
  • 6534 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 04:07 PM

You think so? I just assumed that each like stayed on the system for 24 hours, and you got blocked if you accumulated more than X amount during any 24 hour window.

yeah we figured this out when we started the daily post limit for new members. people were complaining because they would join at night, hit their post limit that evening, then wouldn't be able to post until 24 hours after their first post. apparently any limits set by administration work this way

#85 shakedownstreet

shakedownstreet
  • 6534 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 04:09 PM

it would get a little complicated if it were per day, given different time zones. i imagine this was a much simpler solution for the developers

#86 MAC

MAC

• 4767 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 04:24 PM

yeah we figured this out when we started the daily post limit for new members. people were complaining because they would join at night, hit their post limit that evening, then wouldn't be able to post until 24 hours after their first post. apparently any limits set by administration work this way
it would get a little complicated if it were per day, given different time zones. i imagine this was a much simpler solution for the developers

I don't think that that contradicts my assumption. I know it's a 24 hour limit, but I was confused by your suggestion that once per day you are "reset". I was assuming that each item stays on the system for 24 hours, which of course wouldn't be impacted by time zones either.

In other words, a new member posts at 8pm, 9, 10, 11, 12  and then gets blocked. I agree that he wouldn't be able to post again until 8pm the following day, but my assumption has been that he would get permission to post ONE item at 8 (then another at 9, 10, etc). You seem to be saying that he would be able to post all five items at 8pm, thus accumulating as much as 9 items within a 24 hour period. Have you seen that happen? Just idle curiosity.

Maybe I'll go on a rash of liking things just to test it out. :)

#87 shakedownstreet

shakedownstreet
  • 6534 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 04:34 PM

I don't think that that contradicts my assumption. I know it's a 24 hour limit, but I was confused by your suggestion that once per day you are "reset". I was assuming that each item stays on the system for 24 hours, which of course wouldn't be impacted by time zones either.

In other words, a new member posts at 8pm, 9, 10, 11, 12  and then gets blocked. I agree that he wouldn't be able to post again until 8pm the following day, but my assumption has been that he would get permission to post ONE item at 8 (then another at 9, 10, etc). You seem to be saying that he would be able to post all five items at 8pm, thus accumulating as much as 9 items within a 24 hour period. Have you seen that happen? Just idle curiosity.

Maybe I'll go on a rash of liking things just to test it out. :)

yeah i picked up on the subtle difference after i posted. you could be right

#88 braveheartcolt

braveheartcolt
  • 4454 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:12 AM

Maybe folk need to be a bit less 'likey', and be prudent when dishing out likes? Then the will never run out. Just a thought....

"If I make a comment and it is not backed up by factual evidence, take it as my opinion, and my opinion only"....

#89 MAC

MAC

• 4767 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:51 PM

Maybe folk need to be a bit less 'likey', and be prudent when dishing out likes? Then the will never run out. Just a thought....

Stuck in a loop trying to decide whether or not to "likey" this. :P

#90 braveheartcolt

braveheartcolt
  • 4454 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:58 PM

Stuck in a loop trying to decide whether or not to "likey" this. :P

Now, that is worth a 'Like'. Mmm, it would appear I'm in a very likey mood today.....Well played indeed sir!

#91 ÅÐØNϧ 1

ÅÐØNϧ 1
  • 1336 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:15 PM

Hello Nadine

When I click the quote to reply & try to post . Words show up but not with a quote box till after posted then it looks normal sometimes posted on my post twice the second unseen prior to posting .

And when I try to use the bold or italics or smilies they don't work . Today's the first time I noticed these issues . Is this pilot error on my part ?

Hørše Šen§e ¡š  ╪hé  th¡ñg á hørše håš wh¡çh kΣËpŠ ¡t frΦM ße╪t¡Ñg Φn P£Ôp¿e .

WÇ. F¡éldš

#92 Nadine

Nadine

Community Manager

• Administrators
  • 7939 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:53 PM

Hello Nadine

When I click the quote to reply & try to post . Words show up but not with a quote box till after posted then it looks normal sometimes posted on my post twice the second unseen prior to posting .

And when I try to use the bold or italics or smilies they don't work . Today's the first time I noticed these issues . Is this pilot error on my part ?

try this:  http://forums.colts....-site/?p=401670

IMPORTANT GAME DAY POSTING: On Game days, you can post about the game in the GAME DAY FORUM http://forums.colts....e/game_day.html or in the chat room Game talk in the Colts Forum will be locked during the game. Post game discussion threads: You can create them, please have a clear title. redundant threads will be merged or locked Let's keep this joint organized

#93 Nadine

Nadine

Community Manager

• Administrators
  • 7939 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:48 AM

For now, we are leaving things as they are.   We may review this again another time

Thanks everyone for their input!

IMPORTANT GAME DAY POSTING: On Game days, you can post about the game in the GAME DAY FORUM http://forums.colts....e/game_day.html or in the chat room Game talk in the Colts Forum will be locked during the game. Post game discussion threads: You can create them, please have a clear title. redundant threads will be merged or locked Let's keep this joint organized

#94 JoKeR

JoKeR

And here...we.. GO...

• 6750 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:41 PM

Either is fine, I do tend to run out of likes though. For me, it's like I'm agreeing with the post without actually replying.

#95 FalseStart

FalseStart
  • 567 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:04 PM

The deuce is loose.  #2

#96 southwest1

southwest1
  • 13724 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:50 AM

I will go with #1 but I am also fine if you stick with the usual format here.

I usually run out of likes on game days more often though and I rarely check someone elses reputation points nor do I care much about any individual's numbers as a whole, some extremely good posters have a lower number of overall likes then they might deserve. But, I do think at times it can look like a popularity contest with the likes but that's going to happen due to people agreeing with their friends opinions more then others. I am guilty of it myself too.

If you had unlimited likes perhaps people might be more willing to use likes more freely then to just save them for certain people they normally agree with too. Just a thought..........

Once again, I am fine either way. Of course you can go back the next day and like a post if you run out, but often you forget and the thread sometimes moves on.

I just absolutely hate the dislike button though and that way. I have posted on another teams forum at times (and not trolling at all) that uses that format and sometimes someone will just dislike your posts for fun.  I would be afraid a dislike button might hurt fans of other teams from feeling as welcome here during the season.

In all honesty I liked the old days the best on Colts forums and here. You know the dark ages. Like 2005-2008 lol. No likes, no dislikes. Just posts. And you had discussions that were really really good since someone could not like a post in agreement. They replied back with a response at all times.  I know that won't happen and we won't go back to the old ways but I liked that way the best. If anyone remembers before this forum originally switched over in....2009 or 2010 I had 20,000+ posts. The most here. I think we just talked more then? I don't know... haha I feel like we all responded a lot to each other back then.

2......your profile showing a lot of likes here is like sitting at the cool table in the cafeteria of the mentally insane.

:nutz:

I would not go back to thumbs down or negative points.  It created far too much drama here. 

People take offense when they are 'disliked' and it just makes them want to 'dislike' the person back..........and blah blah blah sometimes escalating to report wars and exacerbating 'issues' between site members.

I never look at the reputation points because for me they are more an indicator of how active you are here and how many friends you have than they are a reflection of your posting reputation as compared with everyone else.

On divisive topics, people 'like' the posts that they agree with.........and that's enough making those issues worse I think.

For me, the feedback you get when someone 'likes' your post via the notification panel is the most useful.  It is nice to know that someone read your post and it is even better to know that they liked it.

I find that more meaningful than the reputation number on pages.

I also really value the ability to like posts.  Sometimes when I read through a thread, every single person posting to it just cracks me up and I like every single one of them.

The number of likes any individual post gets can get it a 'star' and I really think that works well and is usually really well deserved.

for example see here:  http://forums.colts....?/best-content/

Star shows with the post: http://forums.colts....-wanted-to-say/

One more thing........the like button can be used in place of a reply that is not really needed such as 'good post' or 'thanks' people don't like those type of posts and if they had unlimited likes we could suggest that they use that feature rather than cluttering the board with posts that annoy people.

And I believe that some people do that for the purpose of driving up their post count......or at least others perceive it that way.

In that regard, post count is similar to reputation points

In summary, I'd remove the reputation points on profile pages because people can get notified of likes via the notification panel

I'd lift restrictions on the number of likes

Sounds like I'm in the minority though.  Feels like most favor keeping it the way it is

I agree with Jules. A dislike button puts people on the defensive & could turn people away from the site for a perceived slight against  an individual that they did not originally propose. Why do you dislike the post? Flawed reasoning? A flawed thesis? A flawed conclusion? This is what sparks the best debates when 2 or more people approach the same subject from an entirely different vantage point. An all encompassing dislike button tells a person nothing. It gives you no context or frame of reference. 

Cool table for the mentally insane eh WH...Just don't mix up the medications or who knows what will happen to the actual table.  haha Just Kidding!!!

Positive feedback is always pleasant to receive. It's nice to be well respected by your cyberspace peers, especially when they tolerate my sarcastic banter & musical tendencies. Thank you all for that. I can be stubborn. I can be funny. I can be wrong. But, when I'm wrong I try to admit it. I try to make people feel welcome & I am loyal to my friends. I think I just described a family pet. Okay, but I draw the line at fetching sticks.  :funny:

"Invincibility lies in the defense; the possibility of victory in the attack." Sun Tzu

#97 BrentMc11

BrentMc11
  • 12762 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:20 AM

So....are we leaving as is......or more likes?  

Seems like when I want to give likes I do not have any.....all yesterday I had no ability to 'like...'  Very strange....when barely on....

Change is good!  

BrentMc11

COLTS TICKETS!

Single Game Tickets Available!

BUY THEM TODAY!
Join the Stampede!

Recent Status Updates

• Photo
      23 Oct
    Nadine

wood peckers destroying my house again. the east side this time

Show comments (3)