Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

luck is to manning as who would be to brady?

Coltivated

I cant help but think with this young quarterback potentenal.  We could see another Tom Brady/Peyton Manning comparison before to long. My money is on Luck possibly kaepernick especially if he wins the super bowl. Do you agree or disagree? Maybe someone else? Or maybe we could be seeing a draft comparison similar to the class of 83' Elway/Marino/Kelly. Maybe if only two truely develop in this class compassion would better fit class of 04? Eli vs. Roethlisberger, possibly Luck &  Wilson obviously I am biast being a Colts fan.           ps i didnt forget rivers he has all the potenial hes just not elite yet

Any thoughts?

We won't be seeing a quarterback with Brady-esque attributes for a while, I think. In terms of draft class success, though, I would say 12 has some rivals in Wilson and of course Griffin. Tannehill and Weeden=not impressed.

Don't see another 'system' quarterback like Brady out there for the foreseeable future. Brady is a product of his head coach and the weapons he has been surrounded with - were he in another program, he would be above average - at best. Just my opinion. And yes, I am anti-Brady. :^)

You're forgetting one key element of Brady-Manning: they pkayed each other every year for years. That, and that alone is what made it a rivalry. Otherwise they would have just been two great QB's at the top of the game. Look at Brees and Rogers. They are the exact same, but yet there is no hoopla over them. Why is that?

They never play each other.

If Luck is ever going to have a Brady of his own it's going to have to be someone he plays regularlyso it won't be bob, it won't be Kapernick. It,s going to have to be a QB in our division, or in the division we play the same placing team in the prior year, and he's gonna have to be one of the best in the game.

I highly doubt he has one. Manning/Brady was special. It's a once in a generation rivalry.

I actually think Rodgers vs. Eli could be the new Brady vs. Manning if we can get the Giants butts back into the playoffs next year and have another go around vs. the Pack. Packers fans have often argued to Giants fans from what I see that Eli has the defense and more physical team and Rodgers has to carry them more. Giants fans laugh and say Eli has the playoff wins and the extra ring. Sound familiar?

Manning/Brady are just a year apart in age too. Which made/makes it special. And the element of the 6th round draft pick vs. the 1st overall pick in the draft has also been an interesting element.

Luck/RG3 threads have been the most heated we have seen since Manning/Brady but they are rarely going to play each other.

I think we might  have less QB vs. QB and more division rival vs. division rival. It might more "Colts vs. Texans" for a while. Team vs. Team. Like Ravens/Steelers in a way have been over the years.

If you mean who will take over in New England after Brady, it's probably Mallett.  If you mean who will be Luck's rival, it has been RG3 so far.  But playing in different conferences, it's not likely they will play as often as Peyton and Brady.  The same thing could be said for Wilson

If it is coming down to having a rivalry with another QB, the only possible answer is Tannehill. None of the other up and comers play in the AFC except Weeden who is already too old to be a rival of Luck. Tannehill had his ups and downs this season and definitely was not on the same level as Luck though. However, he definitely has some skills and I think Miami could be trending up in the next few years. So he is a possibility.

Edit: Not to mention that first game of Luck-Tannehill was a pretty good one.

Don't see another 'system' quarterback like Brady out there for the foreseeable future. Brady is a product of his head coach and the weapons he has been surrounded with - were he in another program, he would be above average - at best. Just my opinion. And yes, I am anti-Brady. :^)

I think a pretty strong case could be made that Peyton is technically a system QB, too.

I don't look at it as a particularly disparaging term anymore, honestly.

Brady plays in a system....Manning is his system

I agree and disagree. He's a product of Belicheck's/ McDaniels system but he's been with them so long that he could take that system with him a still be a top 5 QB. He probably could've done this in the last several years.

As others have posted (But not using the following words that I will use about Brady), Brady is not as good as they say he is. Is he a top QB? Absolutely. Elite? Hardly. Plug in any monkey QB into Belichick's system and he will perform. Matt Cassell proved the point. So any QB the Patriots select will be the next Brady.

Look at the Eagles. It was a system also. McNabb couldn't do it anywhere else, Kevin Kolb sure as heck isn't good. Vick? All he wants to do is run with the ball. He has low 50% accuracy when throwing. With And Reid gone, let's see what happens. 

I'm surprised no one has said this yet, but Andy Dalton could be the big rival of Andrew Luck. Dalton could prove to be the best QB from the 2011 draft, and I think Luck will be the best from 2012. These two QBs will the the cream of the AFC in a few years. Both have solid teams, but are just a few pieces shy of building something that can truely compete to win it all year after year. I sense an I-74 rivalry starting soon and being one of the better ones in the NFL.

I'm surprised no one has said this yet, but Andy Dalton could be the big rival of Andrew Luck. Dalton could prove to be the best QB from the 2011 draft, and I think Luck will be the best from 2012. These two QBs will the the cream of the AFC in a few years. Both have solid teams, but are just a few pieces shy of building something that can truely compete to win it all year after year. I sense an I-74 rivalry starting soon and being one of the better ones in the NFL.

Andy Dalton and Joe Flacco will be rivals between themselves and any upcoming Qbs.  Both have made the playoffs every year they've played.  I wouldn't discount Colin Kaepernick as the best QB in 2011 draft though.  He has so many weapons.

I think a pretty strong case could be made that Peyton is technically a system QB, too.

I don't look at it as a particularly disparaging term anymore, honestly.

Nor do I, as the sentiment is odd. Every player wants to be in a system that best fits their talents. There is no player, zero, who just plays in a "Let's do something" offense. Every team worth a lick puts their QB in the best system for their talents or adjust the current one to better fit them, especially in a QB driven league.

Who is a system QB? Most everyone, even those with scheme versatility.