Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

is joe flacco now considered great

CR91

But don't you think that at times great QBs are pumped up a bit beyond their already lofty status....and guys like Flacco get too deeply discounted?

Being a team sport, yes, these QB comparisons only go so far anyway no matter how we measure them.....stats, MVPs, clutch wins/losses or otherwise. A QB can't usually win a game single-handedly...but they can sure screw it up.

One thing is certain.....Denver and Baltimore both have very good O-lines, WRs, TEs and respectable running games along with solid defenses. Overall, two pretty balanced teams.

Sadly....Peyton came out on the short end again....being only moderately effective and with a critical error, while Flacco played very well. I was just honestly stunned to see Peyton falter again in the playoffs....finally equipped with a more balanced team and spotted a 14-0 lead.  And I was equally impressed with Flacco's performance.

I don't think Joe Flacco is great....yet....but IMO he's off to a better start than he gets credit for.

I think he is also under-rated. He really cannot be compared to Manning though, not yet. He was not the catalyst in most of the Ravens wins, but ya know what, that's because I don't think they really gave him a chance to be that catalyst. The Ravens offense was all about ground and pound, and hardly ever took to the air, because their O-line and running game were so good, that is what they did to win games, it takes a lot of time off the clock, and hurts an opposing defense.

It's really hard to compare him to an elite QB because he wasn't really given the opportunity to prove he is elite until just recently. We will have to see how the future rolls out for him.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he is also under-rated. He really cannot be compared to Manning though, not yet. He was not the catalyst in most of the Ravens wins, but ya know what, that's because I don't think they really gave him a chance to be that catalyst. The Ravens offense was all about ground and pound, and hardly ever took to the air, because their O-line and running game were so good, that is what they did to win games, it takes a lot of time off the clock, and hurts an opposing defense.

It's really hard to compare him to an elite QB because he wasn't really given the opportunity to prove he is elite until just recently. We will have to see how the future rolls out for him.

Yep....their teams are/were designed differently for sure, and both had their good points.

Flacco, Ryan, Ben, Eli and Rivers are all...I guess you would say....in or close to the prime of their careers. It'll be interesting to see how their teams move ahead from this point and which one of them benefit the most.

With free agency and retirements about to likely do a number on the Ravens defense...Flacco and the offense will probably be relied upon more starting next season. Flacco will then get his chance to take the leadership role as Ray Lewis and Ed Reed (probably) pass from the scene.

If they do happen to beat the 49ers he'll probably secure himself a fat new contract from Baltimore since he's an unrestricted free agent....and then we'll see if he's just a good NFL QB, or able to really lead the team and be more than that.