Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

is joe flacco now considered great

CR91

the guy has been to the playoffs every year. never gone 1 and done. been to three afc championship games in 5 years and hes going to his first super bowl beating two HOFers and an upstart. I dont think you cant say hes one of the best especially if he wins in two weeks

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are many QBs I would take over him.

He's not bad, but there are plenty of guys I would take over him.

I think his ceiling is quite high, but he is very very inconsistent.

of course there are better passers then flacco, but you cant argue that success hes had in his 5 years in the league

If he wins the SB, he will become a top 7-8 QB. Right now, I'd say he's number 10 or 11 in the league.

He's played out of his mind the last 3 playoff games. 

Last two games maybe....Boldin played out of his mind vs colts not flacco

of course there are better passers then flacco, but you cant argue that success hes had in his 5 years in the league

I didn't say anything about his successes?

He has had a dominating D his whole career however, so lets not pretend he has been carrying this team game in and game out.

He has had a dominating D his whole career however, so lets not pretend he has been carrying this team game in and game out.

i was just making a point

so how come this team couldnt have the same success with guys like steve mcnair or kyle bollar

i was just making a point

so how come this team couldnt have the same success with guys like steve mcnair or kyle bollar

Well they won a SB with Trent Dilfer so I don't see the point really, but why are you pretending like I said he couldn't play?

He is good, but I don't think he is great. That's just my opinion.

Well they won a SB with Trent Dilfer so I don't see the point really, but why are you pretending like I said he couldn't play?

He is good, but I don't think he is great. That's just my opinion.

the point is a defense can only get you so far.

Last two games maybe....Boldin played out of his mind vs colts not flacco

Definitely last two games.

Flacco made a lot of great deep passes against the Colts, and picked them apart. He actually posted his best passer rating in the Colts game. So, yes, I'd say three great games.

On top of that too, a very solid and respectable season, a season where he reduced his total number of turnovers/mistakes.

Definitely last two games.

Flacco made a lot of great deep passes against the Colts, and picked them apart. He actually posted his best passer rating in the Colts game. So, yes, I'd say three great games.

On top of that too, a very solid and respectable season, a season where he reduced his total number of turnovers/mistakes.

Passer rating is crap...see Alex smith.

I wouldn't call the D dominant, sure, I think they're still a slightly above average unit, but they're not the force they were for the past 6-12 years.

I wouldn't call the D dominant, sure, I think they're still a slightly above average unit, but they're not the force they were for the past 6-12 years.

For this playoff run their defense is playing dominating football. Last week they only gave up 21 to manning as well. Looks like they don't even give up many pts to anybody but manning.

He said before the season that he is the best QB in the league. If he leads his team to a championship, he will have a lot of leverage in that argument
Eli says he's elite, wins TE SB.

Flacco says he's the best QB, goes to the SB.

It's time for Luck to say he is the greatest player ever.

For this playoff run their defense is playing dominating football. Last week they only gave up 21 to manning as well. Looks like they don't even give up many pts to anybody but manning.

Agreed, we're seeing a postseason in which both the offense and defense are playing good football for Baltimore. I think Flacco was unfortunate early in his career as his playoff runs went through Pittsburgh not once but twice (AFCCG in 2008 and AFC Divisional in 2010), when the Steelers were the dominant AFC North team. But Flacco IMO has no longer shown to be a liability to the Ravens. He's now gone from being asked not to screw the game up to being trusted to win the game.

Here's another way to look at it. Combine this current Ravens offense (Flacco, Rice, Smith, Boldin, etc) with the Ravens defense from the 2000s. They'd be piling up the rings right now.

I'll be honest, I wasn't too high on Baltimore going into January, the way they closed out their season. I was thinking that they might be good enough to win their home game in the first round and then exit from the playoffs the next round. But they played very good football against the Colts, took out the #1 seeded Broncos in their house, and walked into Foxboro like they owned the joint (I wasn't really freaking out when I knew the AFCCG was going to be Ravens-Pats, as the Ravens seemed to have got their crap together and those two teams go down to the last second anyway).

Yes, Flacco was able to ride the defense in some of his earliest playoff wins (Titans in 2008, Pats in 2009), but now he's shown that he can go out there and win games.

I'm not sure I agree with that. When you have Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Suggs aka Defensive MVP, Webb, and everyone else feeding off of those guys I think you have a dominant unit.

Maybe not win a SB with just the D dominant, but a force for sure.

Flacco has to win the SB to be considered a great playoff QB. Right now, he is a good regular season QB that becomes a very good playoff QB.

However, when talent erosion happens like it did with Brady and Peyton, can he carry the team to the playoffs year after year? Soon, Ray Lewis will retire, and maybe Ed Reed too. That will define if he is a great QB overall, consistency and numbers year after year in the regular season to go along with the playoff accolades.

Remember, he did ride Rex Ryan's D to the AFCCG his rookie year, much like Mark Sanchez rode Rex Ryan's D for 2 consecutive years. The last 2 years is where you are seeing him improve considerably.

the guy has been to the playoffs every year. never gone 1 and done. been to three afc championship games in 5 years and hes going to his first super bowl beating two HOFers and an upstart. I dont think you cant say hes one of the best especially if he wins in two weeks

He must be the greatest ever. 

Seriously, he did well, he came up big, never lost his cool.  He was the best QB on the field yesterday. 

I don't watch much of the  Ravens games but when I have seen him this past half seaso nhis accuracy owth the long ball has been deadly as anyone has ever been. Now that all seem to concur Brady is the best of all time Flacco might fit in to the slot but he still needs time to repeat his skills and success. and it ppears he will.

Flacco essentially lives and dies by the long bomb. When I watch Flacco he makes a good throw here and there, but he is overall not very impressive. Throwing bombs down the field and continually getting bailed out by spectacular catches by Boldin and Pitta are how Flacco has won his past three playoff games. It has worked so far, but all it takes is for one or two of those to be picked off and they aren't where they are today. Until the last couple of seasons, it has also been the Raven's defense that has won them the games, not the offense. He also benefits greatly from having Ray Rice in the backfield with him. I think Flacco is solid, but by no means elite or "great." He won't be the first average QB to play in the Superbowl, or even win one.

Flacco's receivers have been catching his bombs downfield the past three games and they have been winning. However, when the bomb isn't there and the offense is on Ray Rice's shoulders, they struggle to score. If it stops working in the Superbowl don't be surprised if the 49ers win by double digits. Ravens are simply "that team" this year that gets hot at the right time.

Flacco is good, but a very large portion of his game is predicated on the long ball. If the Broncos defense doesn't blow it (3 times) we'd be having a completely different conversation.

Sometimes QBs make their WR look good and sometimes WR make their QBs look good. There is certainly a little bit of both on the Ravens side, but when all a QB has to do is throw the ball up in the air and have your WR jump over the flailing corner's head I tend to think, "What a great catch!," rather than, "What an amazing throw!" I'd also like to see a little more long-term consistency out of Flacco before he gets anointed as the next great thing.

The word great is so over used

If he wins the SB, he will become a top 7-8 QB. Right now, I'd say he's number 10 or 11 in the league.

He's played out of his mind the last 3 playoff games. 

One game doesn't change what kind of player he is. If he's played out of his mind the last three games, why do we have to wait for a win in a 4th game? What if he plays like garbage but they still win? I can't stand this argument. One game doesn't change who you are.

What I do think is overlooked is how solid he's been in the postseason. Not great, solid. It doesn't hurt that he always has a top notch defense, by the way. They don't often ask him to win the game for them. But he did yesterday, and he was good enough last season against the Patriots to go the Super Bowl. He had a game a couple years ago against the Chiefs that was top notch, as well.

But they beat the Pats in 2009, 33-14. He threw ten passes. (Yes, he played the whole game.) Four completions, 34 yards, and a pick. This is an excellent example of why "QB wins" are nonsense. The Ravens would have won that game with me at quarterback.

He's having a fantastic postseason this year, definitely earning some respect that he's never gotten before. He's not just a caretaker, either; he put the offense on his back against the Pats and outgunned Tom Brady in the second half, on the road. 

I still have him in the 9-13 range, and unless he shreds the Niners' defense, that probably won't change. 

One game doesn't change what kind of player he is. If he's played out of his mind the last three games, why do we have to wait for a win in a 4th game? What if he plays like garbage but they still win? I can't stand this argument. One game doesn't change who you are.

What I do think is overlooked is how solid he's been in the postseason. Not great, solid. It doesn't hurt that he always has a top notch defense, by the way. They don't often ask him to win the game for them. But he did yesterday, and he was good enough last season against the Patriots to go the Super Bowl. He had a game a couple years ago against the Chiefs that was top notch, as well.

But they beat the Pats in 2009, 33-14. He threw ten passes. (Yes, he played the whole game.) Four completions, 34 yards, and a pick. This is an excellent example of why "QB wins" are nonsense. The Ravens would have won that game with me at quarterback.

He's having a fantastic postseason this year, definitely earning some respect that he's never gotten before. He's not just a caretaker, either; he put the offense on his back against the Pats and outgunned Tom Brady in the second half, on the road.

I still have him in the 9-13 range, and unless he shreds the Niners' defense, that probably won't change.

I have trying to get that point across for some time. Hopefully the way you worded it will help..

I think even if Flacco plays well in the Superbowl, whether he belongs to the elite rank is still to be determined next season, since their defense will lose some leaders and may not be as dominant as they used to be. Then Flacco will be asked to carry the team more often. The past regular season for them is a reflection of what they expect to happen next season due to the injury of many key defensive players, and Flacco has been good in home games while very inconsistent on the road. By the end of the regular season, they were still not very sure whether they can depend on him as a franchise QB. Therefore he was not offered a new contract. Now he has proven his ability to deliever under pressure: Not only pressure by the opposing defense, but also the pressure from the possiblity of losing his starting job or having to find another team. But this is also based on the mentality that he "has nothing to lose". Being handed a big contract and under more expectation by all people he will need to prove he can play consistently at elite level.

Statistically....Joe Flacco is pretty comparable, and in number of INTs thrown, favorable to Peyton Manning after their first 5 years of regular season play.....and more successful in post season play, both statistically and in the win column.

Don't take my word for it.....

http://www.nfl.com/player/joeflacco/382/careerstats

http://www.nfl.com/player/peytonmanning/2501863/careerstats

I was actually surprised to see how comparable they are after 5 seasons....that is if you think stats matter all that much.

So I don't know if that puts Flacco in the "great" category for fans here....but in their first 5 years of NFL play he measures well statistically against the great Peyton Manning.

Unless you don't care about stats as much as you care about playoff success.

In which case Joe Flacco, in his first 5 years, has been better. :hide: