Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ed Reed to Indy?

I don't think you're wrong. I can't see the point in signing a 35 yr. old safety when there are so many young guys available in the draft. I like Reed and if Grigson brings him in, I wouldn't be really upset, but I just don't see it happening. 

It's just not a position that we see played well by older guys. His play has gone south the past two years and he could fall off the cliff next year. 

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's just not a position that we see played well by older guys. His play has gone south the past two years and he could fall off the cliff next year. 

Yeah I agree and don't think it's worth the risk of signing him. Too many fans just want to sign a guy with the popular name even if that name is getting old or losing productivity. 

Dashon Goldson would be a much better option than Byrd or Reed. The Colts need a true SS and Goldson is the thumper the Colts need in the secondary.

I agree with this. He would be my 1st choice if we sign a FA safety. Reed is a FS and Im not confident in moving Bethea to SS if Reed was brought aboard. Much rather get a true SS, rather than move a guy out of position and hope he can perform in his new role.

I like the idea of Goldson. He makes his mark as a physical safety, active in run support, often around the ball. But I think he struggles against the pass, and he has questionable range. These days, that can be the weak link of a defense. And Goldson is going to want a significant amount of money.

I'd much rather have Byrd, and he's probably going to get even more than Goldson. But I'd prefer the rangy, ball-skills safety to go along with Bethea -- who I think is better in the box than on the back end.

(S) Jairus Byrd at 26y.o. and (G) Andy Levitre at 27y.o. at the Buffalo Bills and both are FA and both the Colts can use and unfortunately for the Bills they can only franchise one so at least the Colts can talk to both and who ever is left they can make a deal if both parties agree :}

As I stated before I suspect any FA signing will be after the Draft, with the hoopla of running option QB's there might be 1 or 2 picks by a couple teams stretching for a prospect before others can get them, and we all know that happens because look what C.Polian stretch more than a couple 1st round picks in the past and look at all the Jets crazy picks in the past and my point is a great player suspected going higher might just fall to the Colts...

And I was listening to one of the shows yesterday and one guys (Retired o-linemen) said he was moved from rights side to the left side and never felt comfortable with his left hand in the dirt being right handed and just wasn't the same off the line, you have to take that into account when getting a rookie o-line guy and or FA and maybe Grigson knows this because of course he's an ex o-line guy and I hope he takes that into account in film watch or interviews, we don't want a high priced talent and try using him in a opposite position he's not used too or has tried and hates and won't try as hard...

Go Colts!!!!!

In Grigson I trust!!!!!

What even makes you think golson or Byrd will be available. One will get tagged or both will probably resign. I say get reed for 2 years or so and then draft a safety and let him learn.

I doubt the Niners tag Goldson again. They just carried him on the tag at $6.2m, which is probably a fair amount higher than his annual market value. To tag him again would cost them $8.9m. They don't have the cap space to do that right now, and even after they get rid of Alex Smith, that move would still use pretty much all of their 2013 cap space. Goldson very will might agree to a new deal before free agency, but he is probably not going to be tagged.

As for Byrd, if the Bills tag anyone, I would think it would be Levitre.

I doubt the Niners tag Goldson again. They just carried him on the tag at $6.2m, which is probably a fair amount higher than his annual market value. To tag him again would cost them $8.9m. They don't have the cap space to do that right now, and even after they get rid of Alex Smith, that move would still use pretty much all of their 2013 cap space. Goldson very will might agree to a new deal before free agency, but he is probably not going to be tagged.

That's the one problem with making these wish lists right now.  We aren't 100% sure who all is going to be on the market as you pointed out here.  With that said I fully understand why everyone is doing it. 

While I would love Reed for the leadership and grit he would bring to the team. I'd much rather have a hard hitting enforcer type in the backfield. Would like a guy like Landry, don't know much about Byrd but Landry seems to have injury issues.

Gosh we disagree on this one as much as we do on Flaccco signing for 13 mill a year vs 18- 20 mill per year. Byrd's is generally viewed as one of the leagues' top safety and the franchise tag for that position is dirt cheap.. 6.2 mill. Byrd is a steal at that price. The price for Levitre is 9.6 mill. I guess if they have enough cap room they could sign one to an extension and franchise the other. I say that of all the UTFA , Byrd is on eof the most unlikey ones to hit the open market. If it means anything , I posted something from a beat writter at the season's end that Levitre was cleaning out his locker and gave that writter the impression that he would test the open market. But as you say , he can be franchised but I tend to think Buffalo will pass on the 9.6 to keep him for 1 year. On the other hand I will be shocked if Byrd is allowed to hit the open market. 

Signing Reed (although it wont happen) would not be a bad thing, I'd give him a 8 million for a year with 6 million option bonus for 2014 along with maybe an 8 million signing bonus but I'd still draft my future Safety, Im really looking hard at a couple of Safeties such as Brandan Bishop in the late rounds

Gosh we disagree on this one as much as we do on Flaccco signing for 13 mill a year vs 18- 20 mill per year. Byrd's is generally viewed as one of the leagues' top safety and the franchise tag for that position is dirt cheap.. 6.2 mill. Byrd is a steal at that price. The price for Levitre is 9.6 mill. I guess if they have enough cap room they could sign one to an extension and franchise the other. I say that of all the UTFA , Byrd is on eof the most unlikey ones to hit the open market. If it means anything , I posted something from a beat writter at the season's end that Levitre was cleaning out his locker and gave that writter the impression that he would test the open market. But as you say , he can be franchised but I tend to think Buffalo will pass on the 9.6 to keep him for 1 year. On the other hand I will be shocked if Byrd is allowed to hit the open market. 

I just updated my stance on Flacco in the other thread, just FYI. Let me know what you think...

As for Byrd vs. Levitre for the tag, I could be wrong. The $6.2m tag was for Goldson, last year, and I was saying that he is unlikely to be tagged again. It's $6.8m this year for safeties, and that's low for a top rated safety. The top five guys are Woodson, Berry, Polamalu, Weddle and Huff, and their average annual salary is about $9.2m (totally unrelated to the tag value).

You're probably right on Levitre. I think it would be more beneficial for the Bills to tag Byrd at $6.6m -- both in terms of retaining him and for negotiations -- than to tag Levitre at $9.6m. Of course, if they reach terms with Byrd before free agency, they could then tag Levitre. They do have the cap space to do that. And the only other real notable UFA they have is Leodis McKelvin, but they're certainly not going to consider franchising him. If they did need cap space, they have room to renegotiate some deals, and I'd probably start with Fitzpatrick. There are a couple other options as well, if they wanted to go that route.

I just updated my stance on Flacco in the other thread, just FYI. Let me know what you think...

As for Byrd vs. Levitre for the tag, I could be wrong. The $6.2m tag was for Goldson, last year, and I was saying that he is unlikely to be tagged again. It's $6.8m this year for safeties, and that's low for a top rated safety. The top five guys are Woodson, Berry, Polamalu, Weddle and Huff, and their average annual salary is about $9.2m (totally unrelated to the tag value).

You're probably right on Levitre. I think it would be more beneficial for the Bills to tag Byrd at $6.6m -- both in terms of retaining him and for negotiations -- than to tag Levitre at $9.6m. Of course, if they reach terms with Byrd before free agency, they could then tag Levitre. They do have the cap space to do that. And the only other real notable UFA they have is Leodis McKelvin, but they're certainly not going to consider franchising him. If they did need cap space, they have room to renegotiate some deals, and I'd probably start with Fitzpatrick. There are a couple other options as well, if they wanted to go that route.

I gave you a reply in the otherf thread on Flacco. 

Yes on the 6.8 number for Byrd. I trused my memory and pulled a 6.2 figure. My bad there. I don't think it will matter but why wouldn't the average salary you have for the top 5 come into play here ? Anyway .. I would love Byrd and am giving it about a 10% chance he hits theopen market. as you say SF will never franchise Goldson again. So they either pay him or let him go. Considering how there safeties played the pass in playoffs , I say they probably don't resign him. Myself , I like the idea of either signing someone a bit off the radar or drafting a SS. 

Yes on the 6.8 number for Byrd. I trused my memory and pulled a 6.2 figure. My bad there. I don't think it will matter but why wouldn't the average salary you have for the top 5 come into play here ? Anyway .. I would love Byrd and am giving it about a 10% chance he hits theopen market. as you say SF will never franchise Goldson again. So they either pay him or let him go. Considering how there safeties played the pass in playoffs , I say they probably don't resign him. Myself , I like the idea of either signing someone a bit off the radar or drafting a SS. 

If 120% of a player's previous salary is greater than the franchise tag value, the franchise tag amount is the 120%.

$6.2M x 120% = $7.44M

To the bolded, it does come into play for our discussion. It just doesn't have anything to do with the tag value. The tag value is determined by the 2012 salary of the top five guys, averaged out. That's why the number is $6.8m, not $9.2m.

I'd like Byrd also, but after thinking about your comments and looking a little bit closer at it, he'll probably be resigned before free agency or tagged. I'd settle for Goldson, but wouldn't want to pay him what he'll probably be asking for. And whatever we do there, I'd like to see us draft someone at some point.

If 120% of a player's previous salary is greater than the franchise tag value, the franchise tag amount is the 120%.

$6.2M x 120% = $7.44M

Goldson played last year on the tag, so I believe his number is 144% of the previous year's salary. $9.2m.

Edit: Just looked it up. The 144% doesn't apply until the third tag. So Goldson's number is $7.44m in 2013, if he were to be tagged. Still too high, I think.

$6.2M x 120% = $7.44M

$6.2M x 120% = $7.44M

Yes .. I'm aware of that. I made a mistake on the 2013 franchise price (6.2 vs 6.766) for S. I think maybe you misunderstood one of my posts.

To the bolded, it does come into play for our discussion. It just doesn't have anything to do with the tag value. The tag value is determined by the 2012 salary of the top five guys, averaged out. That's why the number is $6.8m, not $9.2m.

I'd like Byrd also, but after thinking about your comments and looking a little bit closer at it, he'll probably be resigned before free agency or tagged. I'd settle for Goldson, but wouldn't want to pay him what he'll probably be asking for. And whatever we do there, I'd like to see us draft someone at some point.

I'm getting old . If the 9.2 is not the 2012 average salary of those 5 guys , what is the 9.2 the average salary of. Sorry if being a hard head. I'm sure it isn't, as the franchise tag wouldn't be 6.8 j....ust confused as to what that 9.2 refers to ?

I'm getting old . If the 9.2 is not the 2012 average salary of those 5 guys , what is the 9.2 the average salary of. Sorry if being a hard head. I'm sure it isn't, as the franchise tag wouldn't be 6.8 j....ust confused as to what that 9.2 refers to ?

No, I get why that's confusing.

The $9.2m is the average annual salary of the top five paid safeties. It's not the average of their 2012 salaries, which is what the tag value is.

Ed reed is a sure fit to this team, he will be a cheap option to strengthen our secondary. Who ever doesn't want a hall of fame play making safety on our team is nuts. Yes he's old, and might have lost a step or 2, but what's our other options? Use a 1st round pick on a safety, no. We need that pick to protect our franchise qb. Vonte Davis on one side of the field, Ed reed over top the other side, bethea helping with the run. I say signing reed will let us prolong the need to draft a cornerback, at least for this year.

IF he comes cheap, why not give him a shot. Sign him to a two year deal see what he has left in the tank, draft our future safety this year and have him learn from one of the best to play the position. Year two we then can either have him on the roster for deep coverage only or let him retire after year one. He would definitely be an upgrade and can hold us over for a year. This all of course is all my honest opinion. 

No, I get why that's confusing.

The $9.2m is the average annual salary of the top five paid safeties. It's not the average of their 2012 salaries, which is what the tag value is.

Yo comprendo.But I think the tag number is a bit more complicated than just the ave of ghe top 2012 salaries. I posed in our Flacco thread what I found. I've finsihed a bunch of stuff that fried my peanut brain and just didn't have the energy to go through it. I think your formula accounts for most of what determines the number ... just not sure how much the "cap related stuff" can change it.

Yo comprendo.But I think the tag number is a bit more complicated than just the ave of ghe top 2012 salaries. I posed in our Flacco thread what I found. I've finsihed a bunch of stuff that fried my peanut brain and just didn't have the energy to go through it. I think your formula accounts for most of what determines the number ... just not sure how much the "cap related stuff" can change it.

I'm gonna respond to some of that in the Flacco thread. But either way, I was talking about two separate numbers up above. Sorry to confuse you.

I'm gonna respond to some of that in the Flacco thread. But either way, I was talking about two separate numbers up above. Sorry to confuse you.

I just posted what I found on Flacco's exclusive franchise tag. It really for sure looks to be 20+ million. That would mean the tag is set according to this year's average price at the end of the period. Not sure if Bavanian will revisit this thread but he is very good with cap info. If you know how to get ahold of him , maybe he can help us (maybe just me that's messed up) with this.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2013/01/reed_clarifies.html

From January 31st.........

NEW ORLEANS -- Ravens safety Ed Reed clarified the statements that he made on Wednesday about possibly playing for the Patriots and coach Bill Belichick.

"Of course I want to stay in Baltimore," said Reed, who will be an unrestricted free agent. "I was asked, would I play for Bill Belichick? Yes. What football players wouldn’t play for Coach Belichick? Will I be in New England? Most likely not. It’s just terrible that people get half the story. It’s even more bad when you hear the comments that they make towards you. But it comes with it, man."

The day before, Reed told the Boston Herald: "Yeah, oh yeah, man, I could definitely play for coach Belichick. He is a great coach. I’m sure he can help me to expand my football knowledge even more as a player and as a coach, so if I’m ever able to be around him, just like I was at the Pro Bowl, it’s huge."

Reed also said today that he has long envisioned himself playing for one team, but circumstances can change.

"I always said when I came into the league and got drafted that I didn’t want to be one of those guys jumping from team to team," he said. "If it was up to me, I would be right in Baltimore. If it happens to be somewhere else, I can play football on the moon.”