Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Robert Woods WR USC

In the 3rd round,  he's a steal.

His one red flag is his inability to stay healthy.    That said,  he's played with most of his injuries and played pretty well.   But he's been more banged up than most players seem to get for three straight years now.     It also appears he's slow to heal up,  and that's another concern.

Depending on what medical reports show, and how he tests,  I'd be surprised if he lasted all the way to the bottom of the 3rd round where we pick...  

Yeah, he was projected as a top 5 pick at the beginning of the year. I 'm not certain of his injury history but the emergence of Marquis Lee hurt his stock a little. From the USC games I watched Woods was the better route runner with more reliable hands but just didnt have quite the same incredible explosiveness as Lee. In the third round he would be a steal if he's healthy. Combine will tell a alot too

If we trade down from our first round spot to the middle of round 2 and DeAndre Hopkins of Clemson is still there, he is definitely worth a look, IMO.

A late third rounder worth a look is Tevin Reese of Baylor, who is a burner as well.

But then, given our needs, a WR would be a luxury pick, IMO.

How did this guy slip so bad?  He was projected to be a top 5 pick in last year's mocks.  What happened?

Kiffin trying to get Lee the Heisman is the main reason he dropped. Barkley stopped looking his way this year. IMO, he's very, very underrated right now.

If we trade down from our first round spot to the middle of round 2 and DeAndre Hopkins of Clemson is still there, he is definitely worth a look, IMO.

A late third rounder worth a look is Tevin Reese of Baylor, who is a burner as well.

But then, given our needs, a WR would be a luxury pick, IMO.

Reese is another Hilton but not as good...

I'd take this kid in the third in a heartbeat... no question.. depending on how many team needs we address in FA I'd almost spend a late first on him.. if we trade down, I'd use a high 2nd rounder on him...

Woods can be a dominant #1 in the NFL.. he's had injuries because he was always going down the middle after Lee came out of his shell, but he is solid as heck... we'd be insane to pass on him anywhere in the third round, let alone where we pick... I'd also go so far as to say that Keenan Aleen is definitely worth our first pick if he lasts that long... I understand that WR isn't a position of pressing need (more debatable with OC change), but Kennan Allen (and Robert Woods, maybe to a lesser extent) are complete game wreckers at the college level... Allen is practically unguardable with his size and physicality.. I won't cry if we pass on a *. of need to get one of them.. they can learn from Reggie and WRs have longer careers than RBs...

Woods is very solid. A great route runner andvery crafty. He is a guy I think the Colts could be very attracted to. Ive heard some compare him to someone like Reggie Wayne when he was coming out. Plus now the with the fact that we need a recivers who can run those short and intermediate routes very percicley and with good timing and have an ability to create after. This is a guy who can do those things. He is very reliable. The big flag on him though as has been said is Injury history. Definatley somethinrigs that would need to be looked at hard if we were to think about picking him. I still have a feeling we may end up snagging this guy or another playmaker like him in the first round. I know its not what we really need to pick but this guy will be considered a big steal if he can stay healthy. And if the Colts were to feel he can then I could see them pulling the trigger. Gotta remember Grigs is not just gonna draft just to fit a need. So a pick like this to me is completly possible and I think somewhat likley.

For me at least,  it's not just that Woods has an injury history...   He also has a history of healing slowly.   Very slowly.   And that rarely works with NFL teams.

I love the kid.   Think he's very talented.   But with the modern NFL rules these days, I'd say teams that want to take a WR in the first round or the top of the 2nd are welcome to them....   that pushes down other players at other positions to the Colts.

Yes, please!    

Look at the teams that made it to the final Eight. How many of the ball catchers have strong bodies, usually some height, to fight with the DB`s for the ball and Also can take a HIT?

Is Robert Woods the guy you want out there 16 games a year making the tough catches and taking hits?

The Colts need to begin developing one if not Two Bigger (6'1" +) WR`s (not smurf`s) ASAP. It takes 2-3 years for excellent chemistry. IMO.

Guys who can muscle off the line and go up over the DB`s and get that High thrown ball, especially in the Red zone.

Look at the teams that made it to the final Eight. How many of the ball catchers have strong bodies, usually some height, to fight with the DB`s for the ball and Also can take a HIT?Is Robert Woods the guy you want out there 16 games a year making the tough catches and taking hits?The Colts need to begin developing one if not Two Bigger (6'1" +) WR`s (not smurf`s) ASAP. It takes 2-3 years for excellent chemistry. IMO.Guys who can muscle off the line and go up over the DB`s and get that High thrown ball, especially in the Red zone.

2-3 years? Took Reggie and Luck about 10 min

Look at the teams that made it to the final Eight. How many of the ball catchers have strong bodies, usually some height, to fight with the DB`s for the ball and Also can take a HIT?

Is Robert Woods the guy you want out there 16 games a year making the tough catches and taking hits?

The Colts need to begin developing one if not Two Bigger (6'1" +) WR`s (not smurf`s) ASAP. It takes 2-3 years for excellent chemistry. IMO.

Guys who can muscle off the line and go up over the DB`s and get that High thrown ball, especially in the Red zone.

Well Ravens have Bodin and Smith who are both 6'1 or under. Then the the Pats have Welker, Loyld who are not taller than 6'0. Oh and Crabtree is only about 6'1 too. So smaller recivers are doing pretty well Id say. Woods is about 6'1,he has some injury history but being honest alot of players that come out have had some sort of Injury. And Woods did play all of the 2012 season so I think thats a positive sign. Taller recivers are nice but just becuase thier bigger dont guarentee thier gonna do better.

Well Ravens have Bodin and Smith who are both 6'1 or under. Then the the Pats have Welker, Loyld who are not taller than 6'0. Oh and Crabtree is only about 6'1 too. So smaller recivers are doing pretty well Id say. Woods is about 6'1,he has some injury history but being honest alot of players that come out have had some sort of Injury. And Woods did play all of the 2012 season so I think thats a positive sign. Taller recivers are nice but just becuase thier bigger dont guarentee thier gonna do better.

Boldin is far from a small receiver

Blood

Andrew & Reggie combined for 88 incompletions and only 5 Touchdowns. The well timed sideline routes so prevalent in Reggies past were pretty much not in the playbook. If not for Reggies GREAT hands how many more misses.

How about that 5 yard pass at the goalline against the Ravens that was wasn`t close.

Maybe they need 10 more minutes? ;)

Seems like Teams like WR with some size/muscle

Final 4 WR

A Bolden 6'1" 220

T Smith 6'0" 205

M Crabtree 6'1" 214

R Moss 6'4" 210

Final 8 Wr

D Thomas 6'3" 229

E Decker 6'3" 218

AJ Green 6'4" 207

S Rice 6'4" 204

A Johnson 6'3" 230

J Nelson 6'3" 217

R Wayne 6'0 198

P Garcon 6'0" 212

J Nelson 6'3" 217

BloodAndrew & Reggie combined for 88 incompletions and only 5 Touchdowns. The well timed sideline routes so prevalent in Reggies past were pretty much not in the playbook. If not for Reggies GREAT hands how many more misses.How about that 5 yard pass at the goalline against the Ravens that was wasn`t close.Maybe they need 10 more minutes? ;)Seems like Teams like WR with some size/muscleFinal 4 WRA Bolden 6'1" 220T Smith 6'0" 205M Crabtree 6'1" 214R Moss 6'4" 210Final 8 WrD Thomas 6'3" 229E Decker 6'3" 218AJ Green 6'4" 207S Rice 6'4" 204A Johnson 6'3" 230J Nelson 6'3" 217R Wayne 6'0 198P Garcon 6'0" 212J Nelson 6'3" 217

On please...Harrison Clark and Wayne were making great catches for manning too.

And I don't know why ur listing big receivers for me..I never said anything against them. Everyone like WR with size

Boldin is far from a small receiver
Yes in the fact he has alot of muscle on him but height wise he wouldnt be considered big. recivers can Always bulk up 10-20 lbs when they come in too. I dont mind big recivers by any means my point is smaller recivers can be just as effective. Its all dependant on whether the biger recivers know how to use thier size effectivly and wheather smaller guys have the skills necassary skills to make up for what they dont have in size.

In the 3rd round,  he's a steal.

His one red flag is his inability to stay healthy.    That said,  he's played with most of his injuries and played pretty well.   But he's been more banged up than most players seem to get for three straight years now.     It also appears he's slow to heal up,  and that's another concern.

Depending on what medical reports show, and how he tests,  I'd be surprised if he lasted all the way to the bottom of the 3rd round where we pick...  

Totally agree, but most have ranked as about the 70th best player, and the 4th best receiver. I think he goes in the 2nd unless a bad combine. Lets all remember what is written right now will be ripped up after the combine. That is where Grigson is his best. He trusts tape, and is not wowed by the numbers. If players fall due to a bad 40 or vertical, whatever, Grigson will see talent. Woods could fall if a bad combine. The only problem, who was the last Trojans receiver who has worked in the NFL. I preface that by saying I believe Marquise Lee will be fantastic, when he comes out!

I think Woods is a very technically sound receiver who is going to have a nice impact in the NFL. Depending on his workout performances, he'll probably slip into the second round. If he can run a sub 4.5 forty, he might sneak his way back into the first round. I don't think we should draft him because we have a logjam of young receivers, but he's got the goods to be a difference maker somewhere. 

Totally agree, but most have ranked as about the 70th best player, and the 4th best receiver. I think he goes in the 2nd unless a bad combine. Lets all remember what is written right now will be ripped up after the combine. That is where Grigson is his best. He trusts tape, and is not wowed by the numbers. If players fall due to a bad 40 or vertical, whatever, Grigson will see talent. Woods could fall if a bad combine. The only problem, who was the last Trojans receiver who has worked in the NFL. I preface that by saying I believe Marquise Lee will be fantastic, when he comes out!

Not sure what websites you're using....

-- But ESPN has Hunter at 28th...

-- Scouts Inc has him at 55th..

-- Kiper I think has him around the 40's or 50's.

So, perhaps the 2nd round...   but I don't know that he's down in the 70's....   perhaps he'll be there after the Combine...  or perhaps higher...   don't know....

How did this guy slip so bad?  He was projected to be a top 5 pick in last year's mocks.  What happened?

Marquis Lee came and well you all now how that went. This also doesn't help him.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2012/12/31/3823294/robert-woods-2013-nfl-draft-announcement

It might be taken out of context, but alot of people are just going to stare at the one part and question Woods over it.

Marquis Lee came and well you all now how that went. This also doesn't help him.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2012/12/31/3823294/robert-woods-2013-nfl-draft-announcement

It might be taken out of context, but alot of people are just going to stare at the one part and question Woods over it.

He said right after it was posted that it was taken out of context. Either way, I don't disagree with him.

He said right after it was posted that it was taken out of context. Either way, I don't disagree with him.

I also agree with him... I think that he has been grossly undervalued this draft class... Hunter had an ACL tear, but because he's 6'4'' nobody seems to be worried about him... I really think that there are some great receivers with size in the draft... I don't know if they will be BPA at #24, but I wouldn't shed a tear if we grabbed Woods, Allen, Hunter, or Terrance Williams, The combine is going to shake things out a bit, but I'm sure a better player on the D-line will fall to us and we shouldn't pass that up either... I don't know if Grigs can go wrong in the draft if we have a productive FA period...