Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tyrann Mathieu

no

Care to expand? It seems the only knock against him is that he is undersized and has bad footwork. The footwork can be coached though. To me he seems like a low-risk high-reward player. 

EDIT: And the obvious off the field issues, but it's not like he's Dez Bryant or something.

Care to expand? It seems the only knock against him is that he is undersized and has bad footwork. The footwork can be coached though. To me he seems like a low-risk high-reward player. 

EDIT: And the obvious off the field issues, but it's not like he's Dez Bryant or something.

Yeah, beyond lack of size, speed, footwork, or cover skills, he is a shutdown CB.

Told ya, Andy.

No not Dez Bryant dumb something arguably dumber then what Bryant did and thats get caught twice for repeated Marijuana use and multiple other marijuana drug test failures, Im not saying Bryant is absolved of some fault after all he supposedly hit his mom(although charges were dropped) but if your raised around drugs all your life and your own mother does them then your going to have some sort of family issue more then likely come upand it will likely come to a head at some point, Mathieu on the other hand has all the talent in the world and was at one time considered to have high draft stock then he went and got caught with drugs and rather then own up to his mistakes he eventually went out and did them again

Yeah, beyond lack of size, speed, footwork, or cover skills, he is a shutdown CB.

Told ya, Andy.

I didn't say all of that. It just seems like he's a player with natural instincts and a sideline to sideline player. Obviously you're not going to be able to coach him to be 6'2 but I didn't say to use our first rounder on him. He'd probably be a solid nickel corner and we probably would only have to use a 4th or 5th on him

No not Dez Bryant dumb something arguably dumber then what Bryant did and thats get caught twice for repeated Marijuana use and multiple other marijuana drug test failures, Im not saying Bryant is absolved of some fault after all he supposedly hit his mom(although charges were dropped) but if your raised around drugs all your life and your own mother does them then your going to have some sort of family issue more then likely come upand it will likely come to a head at some point, Mathieu on the other hand has all the talent in the world and was at one time considered to have high draft stock then he went and got caught with drugs and rather then own up to his mistakes he eventually went out and did them again

I mean yeah he was irresponsible and stupid but it's not like the guy was doing speed or something. He was a stupid college kid that was stupid and irresponsible enough to smoke pot. I mean Dan Marino dropped to the 25th pick because of drug issues.

I wouldn't be against using a 4th or 5th round pick against him.  He has all the talent in the world.  Put him in a good locker room with people like Pagano, Mathis, possibly Freeney, etc. and I think they will keep him in check.  Once he sees how serious things are in the NFL and how seriously those aforementioned players take their jobs, he could fall into place and not have any more trouble off the field

character issues

Same here....I guess if Grigson thinks he's worth a mid-late rounder then I'll accept that, but I'd prefer we address the DB situation primarily thru free agency anyway.

If being a very undersized DB was the only issue he had that would be one thing. But they interviewed this kid a while ago....and my impression was, as someone once said, he is "hanging by a very thin thread".

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/75588/video-tyrann-mathieu-interview

I mean yeah he was irresponsible and stupid but it's not like the guy was doing speed or something. He was a stupid college kid that was stupid and irresponsible enough to smoke pot. I mean Dan Marino dropped to the 25th pick because of drug issues.

Im not sayin I wouldn't take a look at him but given his height/weight and lack of cover skills (he really is more of a hitter then a cover man) I wouldn't touch him, I'd go with a number of other Safeties

Brandan Bishop

Baccari Rambo

Phillip Thomas

I don't really care about his pot issues, but I don't really think he is going to be a great player at the next level. His measurables are not good, despite his great football I.Q. I can see where he is worth a 4th round pick, but I am not taking his character issues into account when I say that... He was overvalued before his draft stock plummeted last year, now its about right... That being said... I still don't think he will last until we pick in the 4th ( we do have a fourth, right? ) Some team will reach for him... I hope he proves me wrong because I like to root for small, slow, scrappy guys...

I'd take a shot in the 4th for him, 3rd is too early though. I don't care that he smokes weed, he plays hard and will be playing with a chip on his shoulder. Pagano could straighten his attitude out. I'd be happy with the pick, it's a high risk, but I think it could be high reward too.

I didn't say all of that. It just seems like he's a player with natural instincts and a sideline to sideline player. Obviously you're not going to be able to coach him to be 6'2 but I didn't say to use our first rounder on him. He'd probably be a solid nickel corner and we probably would only have to use a 4th or 5th on him

I didn't say you said it.

Told ya, Andy.

Every time he posted him as a top 5 pick I shook my head. He has no NFL position; can't cover and is way too small for a safety. I don't think he'll be able to strip the ball from everyone in college with an amazing defense around him covering his a*%.

The worst issue a player can have is a drug issue, particularly Mary Jane...      I ain't mad at him but no pro sports team will be willing to gamble on this guy unless he is willing to prove himself.   In fact I guarantee any team that gives him a show will demand in his contract very stiff testing 

Dude has failed tests when he knew they were coming?   He has no self control.    A new batch of Kush hits town and Ty is first at the dope mans door.    

I would take him late ...    and I would not expect much.   He has a lot to prove in the maturity and self discipline areas.

Really? I think crystal meth and cocaine are a little more of an issue than a guy who smokes pot sometimes.

Cocaine and Meth are very bad for anyone.     The are incredibly strong drugs, and addictive.

Marijuana ...    everyone likes.   It is not physically addictive.   BUT, it is mentally addictive.    A chronic pot smoker has a really hard time stopping.      The Honeybadger has failed multiple times for marijuana..   That is a "major" red flag for me.   

One has to be smart enough to realize a test is coming.....     he has been proven to be an * in that regard.

Bottom line is can he have enough self discipline to stop when the season starts.     Smoke all you want in the off season....

JMO...     

By the way I am for total legalization of the plant.    :thmup:

Really? I think crystal meth and cocaine are a little more of an issue than a guy who smokes pot sometimes.

In my opinion the drug of choice does not matter but the repeated use of it after being warned multiple times BY A TOP TIER COLLEGE FOOTBALL school and him still not willing to get his act together and then to make matters worse instead of righting some wrongs at that school matters more instead he withdraws, probably thinking his talent alone will get him through the door for example in the draft like it did with Janoris Jenkins, except the kid dont get it he cant afford to be doing all this stuff he is not the talent Jenkins is in coverage, he can hit but at 5'9' 180lbs he is going to have to bring more then hitting to the table, he was better off staying, right now as it is there are Safeties coming out in this years draft that are arguably better and certainly more suited to the position

Kenny Vaccaro

Eric Reid

Baccari Rambo

Phillip Thomas

Tony Jefferson

T.J. Mcdonald

Matt Elam

Robert Lester

Shawn Williams

Could be a big free fall in the draft for him but I bet he gets picked in the 4th maybe by the Rams for example, both Dahl and Darian Stewart are FA and Dahl is Unrestricted

In my opinion the drug of choice does not matter but the repeated use of it after being warned multiple times BY A TOP TIER COLLEGE FOOTBALL school and him still not willing to get his act together and then to make matters worse instead of righting some wrongs at that school matters more instead he withdraws, probably thinking his talent alone will get him through the door for example in the draft like it did with Janoris Jenkins, except the kid dont get it he cant afford to be doing all this stuff he is not the talent Jenkins is in coverage, he can hit but at 5'9' 180lbs he is going to have to bring more then hitting to the table, he was better off staying, right now as it is there are Safeties coming out in this years draft that are arguably better and certainly more suited to the position

No, I agree with what you are saying here it's just that he said, "particularly Mary Jane" and I just felt that that was kind of a weird thing to say.  

No, I agree with what you are saying here it's just that he said, "particularly Mary Jane" and I just felt that that was kind of a weird thing to say.  

For sure. Ricky Williams is about the only guy I can think of that really hurt his career with it. Saying the worst issue a player can have is smoking pot in college is hilarious.

For sure. Ricky Williams is about the only guy I can think of that really hurt his career with it. Saying the worst issue a player can have is smoking pot in college is hilarious.

Yeah but Ricky was really bipolar. If you get a chance and are interested there's a ESPN 30 for 30 called Run Ricky Run and it delves real deep into his mental state and stuff he went threw as a kid. Pretty crazy stuff.

When the dude fails a "scheduled" pee pee test then.....     that is hilarious.

In my opinion the drug of choice does not matter but the repeated use of it after being warned multiple times BY A TOP TIER COLLEGE FOOTBALL school and him still not willing to get his act together and then to make matters worse instead of righting some wrongs at that school matters more instead he withdraws, probably thinking his talent alone will get him through the door for example in the draft like it did with Janoris Jenkins, except the kid dont get it he cant afford to be doing all this stuff he is not the talent Jenkins is in coverage, he can hit but at 5'9' 180lbs he is going to have to bring more then hitting to the table he was better off staying, right now as it is there are Safeties coming out in this years draft that are arguably better and certainly more suited to the position

Kenny Vaccaro

Eric Reid

Baccari Rambo

Phillip Thomas

Tony Jefferson

T.J. Mcdonald

Matt Elam

Robert Lester

Shawn Williams

Could be a big free fall in the draft for him but I bet he gets picked in the 4th maybe by the Rams for example, both Dahl and Darian Stewart are FA and Dahl is Unrestricted

Ya lets not ignore that he is a total ball hawk and has a nack for making big plays in crucial situations. Personally I dont care if we take a "bad character guy" or complete he is a total * especially with a 3rd or 4th round pick. The boy can play. The dungy era was full of choir boys and high character guys and only netted us one super bowl. If he is sitting there in the 4th round and we don't take him I think it would be a huge whiff.

Ya lets not ignore that he is a total ball hawk and has a nack for making big plays in crucial situations. Personally I dont care if we take a "bad character guy" or complete he is a total * especially with a 3rd or 4th round pick. The boy can play. The dungy era was full of choir boys and high character guys and only netted us one super bowl. If he is sitting there in the 4th round and we don't take him I think it would be a huge whiff.

I agree on taking a chance on some guys with a checkered past is not such a bad idea if they can play as long as its not with high picks my problem is he is 5'9" 180lbs and is not a great cover guy and there simply guys that will be available in the 4th that are as good as he is and that are bigger

The kid really screwed up and has all the will in the world to correct his image the only way to do that is to play good ball witch i think he can and will. we would be foolish to not take him in the fourth round. His upside is way to high imo. I herd in an interview of the colts when they were bringing in all new guys this year the players reall6y took the team attitude tward family and faith to heart and the guys stuck out that didnt. some guys where took under wing to help them. This is a lockeroom to help troubled players willing to improve on and off field attitude. I dont have a problem taking our entire draft on upside potential no matter the character of kids. We can make them men. I liked jenkins who went to the rams for instants.

I would spend a 3rd on the guy. You had Janoris Jenkins last year and you saw how he worked out. He didn't have one problem this year and I dont think he will again. In my decision its definitely something we should think about.

The talent level between Mathieu and Jenkins isn't even close, that's the difference. Jenkins was a top ten pick if not for off the field issues.

character issues

so did jimmy smith (Ravens) and Janoris Jenkins (rams) and both of them turned out just fine as soon as they hit the NFL. just because they do something stupid in college (alot of college kids do) whether its once or twice or even three times does not mean you cant change. NFL players do far much worst and get paid top dollar, just ask michael vick.