Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What Went Wrong For Jim Rome?

King Colt

I would pay money to see Jim Everett KO him.

Don't you mean Chris?

They took his show off Memphis as well. Replaced him with Scott Van Pelt and then with Cowherd and now we have a local guy.  I prefer Cowherd and our local guy to Rome.  

He was replaced here in SoCal as well, but by Jay Mohr.  I listen to Dan Patrick and SVP.  I really am beginning to like SVP. 

The last show I heard from Rome was saying that he will be going to cbs and his showtime show at the end of the year was just to gauge interest and he will be doing the showtime show either once a month or twice a month.

He was awfully full of himself for my liking, then again so is DP and the danettes but not as much.  I did however admire him pulling any punches and his final interview with Stern was fantastic, he made Stern look so inept and childish

I never got what his problem was with Everett. Jim Everett was one of the better more underrated QB's back then. 1988-1990 were great years for him. If it wasn't for the poor teams he was on, he probably would have a ring today.

He was making fun of the fact he was hurt a lot . Also wanted ratings. It worked, almost 20 years later were still talking about it

I don't think anything has gone wrong with Rome....

But I think his career is going through the roof....   he's big enough that he can leave ESPN (and he left them, they didn't let him go) and he's going better...   like Dan Patrick...

-- Rome still has his radio show.

-- He's now a big name on the new CBS Sports cable channel...  he's supposed to be a marque attraction.

-- He's got an hour long show on Showtime premium cable channel.

Oh, and he's now a big race horse owner and his horses are winning big races.

Life is good for Rome.      I'm not much of a fan...   but I respect that he's built himself up from nothing and has only gotten bigger over a span of 20 years....     That's impressive.

One of the funniest things ever. Rome accomplished want he wanted to that day

Rome will not talk about that incident other than he "regrets" it happened.    I remember seeing this live on TV in the mid 90's in Columbus, OH.     DD has had JE on his show and asked him about it.   JE states that is was not rigged and Rome has is in denial about it.  

Here is an interview I found from JE..

http://deadspin.com/5873900/an-interview-with-jim-everett-about-teeny-tiny-jim-romes-departure-from-espn

Rome started out as a shock jock and he now fancies himself a "serious" journalist.     The JE event is embarrassing to him.

Rome is just a little guy with a huge forum and a big mouth.    I have NEVER liked him.

Former Rome fan here...I think that his show has really gone downhill in the past few years. He went "corporate" and is a lot less edgy than he was in his earlier days. A lot of it has to do with him letting long time show producer Travis Rogers go a few years back, and replacing him with Kyle Brandt...whose qualifications were being on The Real World and some spots in soap operas. The man crush Rome has on KB borders on creepy. He got rich and happy IMO, and was/is mailing in the show now. He also forgot his roots and almost never takes calls now. He never took a lot of them, but they're virtually nonexistent today. As for CBS radio, they are a big step down...here in Indy he's on 1430, which I can't even get in McCordsville. And the Showtime show went from a weekly to a monthly show, not exactly a ringing endorsement. The only part I enjoyed was the segment with the hot reporter near the end of the show. But he has made his $$$ so he is set. I think he will pass the radio gig to KB, who actually has been a decent fill in host when Jim takes one of his 67 vacation days he gets every year.

His replacement, Jay Mohr, is a ton funnier....he also takes calls and keeps his listeners involved. Some of the Fox Sports Radio stuff (sound drops and such) is annoying, but I doubt he has the cache to pull rank right now. He is different but good. I can't stand Cowherd, and the other ESPN guys are just blah to me....

I agree CMG and wasn't surprised that he got replaced, I just didn't figure it would be by Jay Mohr, but I get it I guess, Southern California type of guy and that's why I started listening to SVP.  SVP i am begining to enjoy but his partner i'm not sold on, cowherd is just obnoxious to me and I can't stand seeing him on ESPN and speaking of that why does espn show cowherd, Mike and Mike and SVP on their ESPN channels, I don't wanna watch someone talk into a microphone, that's just boring.

After several hours of Mike and Mike, and the same topics discussed over and over again Rome is refreshing.

Luckily Indy has some good local guys that really break the cycle after Mike and Mike. I used to listen to DP/MM then jump over to Rome. But the last year or so I just seem to listen to MM then the local guys. Very little Rome. Not because I don't like him, but just because I like the local stuff...I do however listen to each "smack off" that seems to get worse and worse each year.

One local guy I miss is Mark Patrick. Father of Nats pitcher drew storen. I liked him, and I liked that he talked ALOT of baseball. No one in Indy talks baseball.

Patrick was a jerk, IMO...thought he was too good for local radio since he had a cup of coffee on the national level, talked down to his callers, and was a major pain to work with from what I know. And I do know a little about the Indy radio scene from friends that work(ed) at Emmis. JMV on the other hand, is a regular guy. He may not be for everyone, but he is a good dude who will buy you a beer after one of his shows (on location), and talk with you just like any other sports fan. He makes no bones about being a southern Indiana country boy and isn't arrogant or uppity. Plus he throws in a lot of 80s-90s pop culture stuff, which at my age is right in my wheelhouse. There is a big reason he was beating Kravitz and Eddie in the ratings when they were at 1070 and JMV was stuck at 1260 (50,000 watts and ESPN vs. 5,000 watts and at the time a hodge podge of programming). He connects with his listeners and doesn't act like he's better than them. Like his embracing a non-fan having a "JMV Sucks" sign at a Pacers or IU game...now he calls for it, wants to see them at all local events.