Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pep Hamilton hired as OC [Merge]

Horseshoe

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So im assuming were gonna be running about 50 percent and passing 50 percent of the time now. Is this system gonna place even more of an emphasis on running the ball? or is just a different syle and blocking scheme?

Not necessarily.  I read somewhere that Andy Reid's version had McCoy only averaging 14 carries per game over 65 starts.  Many OC using a WCO type system like to use the super short pass as an alternative to the running game.  If our O line and RB's aren't effective, I see the slide toward that type of game planning.  But a truly effective running game is better, because it opens opens up the action pass options we will need to strike with now and again, and must be executed well to keep the D from cheating up on all plays. 

I get your point, but how is this worse than a team of first year players, and both a HC and GM with zero experience at those positions? Just about every decision the FO made last year turned to gold. Maybe it was all just lucky, but I guess I'm inclined to give this hire the benefit of the doubt for now.

Because, most people didn't like Bruce Arians play calling, but he was big in the development of Peyton Manning, I guess Luck is going down the same path, having worked with Arians for only one year. lol

And the story is ????

Last May, the university officially renamed the offensive coordinator position the "Andrew Luck Director of Offense" after an anonymous donor made what the school called a "very generous" gift to honor the record-setting quarterback.

Stanford has endowments for many positions in the athletic department, although most are reserved for head coaches and the athletic director.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130119/colts-hiring-stanford-hamilton/#ixzz2IR86pBvi

I don't know anything about Pep, so I can't say I like or dislike the hire.

But I am glad BA IS NOT the OC anymore. I think Luck's % of staying healthy goes way up now.

Hmmmm, didn't Michael Vick play in a WCO type offense?

I remember stuff like this back in 2004-

"News

New Falcons coach Jim Mora, Jr. is raving about the potential of Michael Vick playing in the West Coast offense. "It's perfect for Michael," Mora, Jr. tells the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. "The version that we run requires a mobile quarterback who has accuracy on the run. Mike has great mobility and accuracy on the run. You look at the quarterbacks who thrived in that system… The one characteristic they all had was accuracy on the run."

Views

As if Vick wasn't dangerous enough in Dan Reeves's offense the past two seasons, now he's going to work in a system that should have him rolling out more than ever, and emphasizes high percentage passes. Vick completed only 50 percent of his passes last season, but the hope in Atlanta is that playing in the West Coast offense will help him move that number closer to 60 percent this season. While we're happy for Vick and the Falcons, we can't help but hope that ESPN producers keep a close eye on Joe Theismann if he calls any Falcons' games this season. The color commentator was so smitten during Vick's comeback game last season that we're now concerned Theismann may offer to switch places with Suzy Kolber and pull a "Joe Namath" on Vick. "

Hmmmm....    :scratch:

And the story is ????

Quoted-

"Last May, the university officially renamed the offensive coordinator position the "Andrew Luck Director of Offense" after an anonymous donor made what the school called a "very generous" gift to honor the record-setting quarterback."

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130119/colts-hiring-stanford-hamilton/#ixzz2IRArZyjc"

And the story is ????

It's in the above SI article...It was renamed that thanks to a very generous donation from a booster..kinda weird. I don't have an opinion either way on this hiring as it is just too soon to tell. I do think it is pointless to speculate what type of offense this is going to be until we hear from the man himself. We were planning on shoring up the o-line either way, so I think our prospects are wide open. Exciting times for us colts fans :) .

Last May, the university officially renamed the offensive coordinator position the "Andrew Luck Director of Offense" after an anonymous donor made what the school called a "very generous" gift to honor the record-setting quarterback.

Stanford has endowments for many positions in the athletic department, although most are reserved for head coaches and the athletic director.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130119/colts-hiring-stanford-hamilton/#ixzz2IR86pBvi

Oops, I should have read further.  :)

Hmmmm, didn't Michael Vick play in a WCO type offense?

I remember stuff like this back in 2004-

"News

New Falcons coach Jim Mora, Jr. is raving about the potential of Michael Vick playing in the West Coast offense. "It's perfect for Michael," Mora, Jr. tells the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. "The version that we run requires a mobile quarterback who has accuracy on the run. Mike has great mobility and accuracy on the run. You look at the quarterbacks who thrived in that system… The one characteristic they all had was accuracy on the run."Views

As if Vick wasn't dangerous enough in Dan Reeves's offense the past two seasons, now he's going to work in a system that should have him rolling out more than ever, and emphasizes high percentage passes. Vick completed only 50 percent of his passes last season, but the hope in Atlanta is that playing in the West Coast offense will help him move that number closer to 60 percent this season. While we're happy for Vick and the Falcons, we can't help but hope that ESPN producers keep a close eye on Joe Theismann if he calls any Falcons' games this season. The color commentator was so smitten during Vick's comeback game last season that we're now concerned Theismann may offer to switch places with Suzy Kolber and pull a "Joe Namath" on Vick. "

Hmmmm....    :scratch:

You use mike Vick as an example...really?

And using the term WCO is rather generic.....there are many versions of it

Thanks, T.  Guess my midwest upbringin is showing.  Never heard of such a thing.  Is that becoming the latest donor bait at major universities these days????

I think the positions you note are how things were under Harbaugh.... I don't think that's how they were in the two years Hamilton has been the OC since Shaw became the HC.

I think Shaw as the play caller comes from a visual misinterpretation. He stands there on the sideline holding a giant play list. But it's Hamilton upstairs on the phone calling the play, sending it in. If Shaw wants to over-rule it, clearly he can. Harbaugh did (overrule when he wanted)... but otherwise, Shaw approves and the play comes in...

I'm getting this from the Premium section of the Stanford website I belong to. Something I can't link in here...

Feh. I said in one of these threads that Pep wasn’t the “main playcaller” because my was understanding that Mike suggests running plays, Pep suggests passing plays and then everything goes through Shaw and he makes the call. If you’re 1/3 of 3 headed monster and your not the one with the veto power/ final say, then you’re not the primary playcaller imo. But that’s probably just semantics…

If I’m misunderstanding the dynamic there, okay… but I hope I’m not honestly. I’d much rather Pep wasn’t calling all the plays these last two years because I haven’t been terribly impressed. All the offensive creativity, aggression and guts went out the door with Roman and Harbs and I’m certainly not the only Stanford fan who feels that way. I’m more worried about missing his recruiting. (And I refuse to spend one dime on the bootleg just on principle. :P)

Thanks, T.  Guess my midwest upbringin is showing.  Never heard of such a thing.  Is that becoming the latest donor bait at major universities these days????

I think it's pretty much common practice at Stanford. That's one of the ways scholarships and salaries get paid without digging into student tuition. It's just those endowments are usually named after dead folks, old folks, old families or multinational corporations not living NFL quarterbacks. haha

As another poster said, and I can echo....   it's a Stanford thing.   The school is spectacularly wealthy.   It's the 3rd or 4th wealthiest school in the world.   Behind Harvard and Yale and roughly tied with Princeton.   They're sitting on roughly $19 Billion.  

But the athletic department funds itself.   No other school money.   So, wealthy donors can attach their name to a position...

The football coach is the Bradford Dillman Director of football.    Some guy named Bradford Dillman wrote a 8-figure check to have this priveledge.   The school never has to worry funding for the HC spot again.

Now, the same with the OC position.   But the donor didn't want his name attached, he wanted Andrew's.   My understanding is Luck balked.   Didn't want it.   But only agreed when it was explained to him how much good the money could do....

Money talks in big time college athletics...   what are you gonna do??

The best thing I like in this is Luck threw for a ton of touchdowns in the Stanford offense, and he threw for very few ints. Since this is a scheme that Luck is well versed in, I expect Luck to be even more sharp than he was last year. He should be able to make his reads quicker, and he should have better understanding for when and how the ball needs to be placed and delivered. Another thing I like is The WCO is a common offense in the NFL, so our O will not be some kind of a gimmick and nor will it be so specific that it would be hard to find a replacement coordinator who is versed in the WCO if PEP somehow left next year. I like the short passing, chain moving aspects of the WCO, and I also think Pep will tweak things a bit to include some deep passing due to all the speed we have. My only fear is I hope it doesn't turn into a Todd Haley type situation where the numbers look good, but players are complaining about the lack of deep shots that are available in the play book. Hopefully he will be generous and sprinkle some in.

I could see Luck becoming Joe Montana good in this style of offense. We just need to shore up the O line a little bit with about 2 quality O lineman. Vic Ballard runs and plays a lot like Stephan Taylor, and the running back with the #25 in the below video I could see Donald Brown in that role. I still think we need to add some more quality to the running back corps. How the WR are going to be utilized in this scheme is where I have questions.

http://youtu.be/OoSQ4rtnjNA

I really don't think we know enough yet to know if this is a bad or good hire yet.  I also don't think we know for sure what kind of offense we are going to be running just yet.  From what I understand Hamilton more or less ran Shaw's offense at Stanford.  Grigson said before BA left that they would get a guy who would still run an offense close to what BA ran.  So my guess is that Hamilton will bring his offense sure and it wont be exactly what BA did but if most of the offensive staff stays intact I can see Hamilton adapting the BA offense with his touch on it. 

I really don't think we know enough yet to know if this is a bad or good hire yet.  I also don't think we know for sure what kind of offense we are going to be running just yet.  From what I understand Hamilton more or less ran Shaw's offense at Stanford.  Grigson said before BA left that they would get a guy who would still run an offense close to what BA ran.  So my guess is that Hamilton will bring his offense sure and it wont be exactly what BA did but if most of the offensive staff stays intact I can see Hamilton adapting the BA offense with his touch on it. 

I would love to see a hybrid of Arians' system with some WCO principles. 

Somehow I doubt Hamilton is just going to completely scrap Arians offense and go full bore with the Stanford power WCO. I think youre going to see us use alot of principles from both offenses. Which would be nice to see IMO.

I was ok with Arians staying or leaving. I like Arians aggressive playcalling style but at the same time it has its flaws in terms of protection for the QB, etc..

You use mike Vick as an example...really? And using the term WCO is rather generic.....there are many versions of it

He was in Mora's and Reid's versions, and he was an elusive QB that could 'spin it'.  If his targets were covered he ran, but Luck may too.  Just I hope Luck runs toward the sidelines to get OB before getting popped, or be prepared to slide early enough to avoid the head shots runners sometimes take.  Vick usually tried to make something out of nothing in those cases. But still, the point is there's no guarantee Luck will get hammered less just because of a scheme change.  An o line improvement?  That would be a better indicator IME.

Thanks to Balzer40, BLOODontheTRACKS, Dr. T, ColtsBlueFL, IndyXLI, the cardinal, and New Colts Fan. 

Had NO idea the concept was so well known.  Had never heard of it before.  If ya wanna know, ask the Colts fans.

So says BIGugly, so it is....... 

These comments right here tell me that our offense is going to be very similar to Stanfords. I was hoping it would be a decent mixture of Stanford and some of what B. A. did, but to me it sounds more like it will be mostly what Luck did at Stanford.

“He (Luck) will be a tremendous asset helping me to make the transition to the Colts,” said Hamilton. “As I install my offense, obviously, he’s had a couple of years of experience. It makes a huge difference when the quarterback is, for the most part, well-versed in the offense.”

Stanford has used the West Coast offense in building a 34-5 record over the past three years, and Hamilton was the coordinator for the two past seasons. He envisions installing the same type of attack with Indianapolis.

“It’ll be a variation of the West Coast,” said Hamilton. “(It will have) the West Coast principles, the short, efficient passing game, a high completion rate.”

http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/HAMILTON-IN-WITH-COLTS/6d5385d9-0c77-4083-abc0-478a383f3d31

However I do like these comments as I read further:

“I enjoy watching our guys come off the ball, the guys up front trying to knock the opponent back. I’m a big believer of a power running game, running gap schemes,” said Hamilton. “I think that ultimately opens up your passing game. From play-action passes, you get opportunities to face one-high coverages, get free access outside on the perimeters.

“I want to be flexible schematically, just make sure we find ways to get the ball into our dynamic play-makers’ hands.”

These comments right here tell me that our offense is going to be very similar to Stanfords. I was hoping it would be a decent mixture of Stanford and some of what B. A. did, but to me it sounds more like it will be mostly what Luck did at Stanford.

“He (Luck) will be a tremendous asset helping me to make the transition to the Colts,” said Hamilton. “As I install my offense, obviously, he’s had a couple of years of experience. It makes a huge difference when the quarterback is, for the most part, well-versed in the offense.”

Stanford has used the West Coast offense in building a 34-5 record over the past three years, and Hamilton was the coordinator for the two past seasons. He envisions installing the same type of attack with Indianapolis.

“It’ll be a variation of the West Coast,” said Hamilton. “(It will have) the West Coast principles, the short, efficient passing game, a high completion rate.”

http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/HAMILTON-IN-WITH-COLTS/6d5385d9-0c77-4083-abc0-478a383f3d31

However I do like these comments as I read further:

“I enjoy watching our guys come off the ball, the guys up front trying to knock the opponent back. I’m a big believer of a power running game, running gap schemes,” said Hamilton. “I think that ultimately opens up your passing game. From play-action passes, you get opportunities to face one-high coverages, get free access outside on the perimeters.

“I want to be flexible schematically, just make sure we find ways to get the ball into our dynamic play-makers’ hands.”

ugh. Thanks for the gut shot.

We were so effective with the deep ball, I can't believe he is going to walk away from it, and his "idea" to install a power running game is going to take years (IMHO). He better get to watching the game film before he throws out all of Arians playbook.

We were so effective with the deep ball, I can't believe he is going to walk away from it, and his "idea" to install a power running game is going to take years (IMHO). He better get to watching the game film before he throws out all of Arians playbook.

I do like this statement of his though.

It leads me to believe he would be open minded enough to keep some of the things we did well blended into his style of offense.

“I want to be flexible schematically, just make sure we find ways to get the ball into our dynamic play-makers’ hands.

It leads me to believe he would be open minded enough to keep some of the things we did well blended into his style of offense.

I just wished he was a tad more specific, like 'out in space' or 'deep off of play action'.  that would be nice. :)

Watching the Rose Bowl vs Wisconsin Im not  worried about the type of west coast offense scheme he is going to try to implement because he was creative with his playcalling during that game in my opinion, Im more worried about the Man Blocking scheme

Watching the Rose Bowl vs Wisconsin Im not  worried about the type of west coast offense scheme he is going to try to implement because he was creative with his playcalling during that game in my opinion, Im more worried about the Man Blocking scheme

To me, most of the Man blocking is driven by the type of guards you have because it appears to involve a lot of pulling/off tackle kick out types of blocks. I think the main area of focus is getting 2 quality guards. I don't like any of the crew from last season other than Linkenbach. I don't know if I'm totally sold on Reitz either at guard, but I suppose we could keep him in the mix or like you said it may be possible for him to be moved to tackle considering how tall he is. I'd like to cut ties with Mcglynn. I think we're fine with A.Q, but I'd like to get rid of Satele. We may have something with Anderson at guard but it's too early to tell. I think Costanzo can hold his weight at tackle. I have a feeling we won't retain Justice at the other tackle, he's hurt too much.

I think it's possible that one of the guards is already on the roster. That leaves us left with needing another guard and a tackle to replace Justice. I think we can find both between the draft(plenty of OL in this draft), undrafted free agents, and regular free agency.

To me, most of the Man blocking is driven by the type of guards you have because it appears to involve a lot of pulling/off tackle kick out types of blocks. I think the main area of focus is getting 2 quality guards. I don't like any of the crew from last season other than Linkenbach. I don't know if I'm totally sold on Reitz either at guard, but I suppose we could keep him in the mix or like you said it may be possible for him to be moved to tackle considering how tall he is. I'd like to cut ties with Mcglynn. I think we're fine with A.Q, but I'd like to get rid of Satele. We may have something with Anderson at guard but it's too early to tell. I think Costanzo can hold his weight at tackle. I have a feeling we won't retain Justice at the other tackle, he's hurt too much.

I think it's possible that one of the guards is already on the roster. That leaves us left with needing another guard and a tackle to replace Justice. I think we can find both between the draft(plenty of OL in this draft), undrafted free agents, and regular free agency.

Who I would ideally like to get if we cant get Warmack or Jones is Travis Frederick, we have plenty of Guards with size but that can be deceiving....Example=Robert Griffin-6'6" 330 but 14 bench press reps at Combine

More encouraging comments from Pep. I like that he is willing to see what we did well last year and possibly

incorporate those things into our scheme. I'm getting more comfortable with him. He seems willing to blend.

“It’s probably a little premature for me to say the verbiage, the nomenclature how much that’s going to change,” said Hamilton of how his tweaking of the Colts’ offense will be. “I have to take a look at what they were able to do this past season. They were very successful as an offensive unit and a football team overall.

“We’re going to play a physical brand of football,” said Hamilton. “We’re going to be efficient. We’re not going to waste plays, but we’re still going to take our calculated shots. It’s our goal to score a lot of points in every game we play.

“It will be a good mixed bag of a lot of different things that I think Andrew (Luck) and rest of the guys will be able to do well.

http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/CALCULATED-APPROACH/7f986ead-fc82-4bf1-9a98-892d808139de

When you look at our skills players, Luck is up here.

The RB core and O-line are down here.

I'm all for a good running game, but it should never be the focus of our offense, the purpose of a good running game is to setup the play action pass and ice the game, it serves no other purpose IMHO. Look at the Ravens. They had a solid team, but they made the AFC champ game the last 2 years because they unleashed Joe Flacco, and have become a more balanced attack with Rice / Flacco.

Look at the 4 remaining teams this year, 3/4 have essentially a heavy passing attack that relies on running game to setup the play action.

I agree but it's not like the Colts aren't going to do anything. I'm sure they will beef the line up which may pave way for a better running game. It's not like I expect the Colts to win the SB next year. They still have a ton of work to do.

I personally don't want Luck to pass it for 40-50 times a game.

i have a question, when Shaw bcame HC of Stanford im guessing thats when Pep Became OC? what did he do before?? Shaw was the OC right?

anyways..was that the only season he was Luck play caller or am i wrong? just wondering

Pep was at Stanford for 3 years.    His first, was as the team's WR coach.

Then, Harbaugh left to go to SF.   He takes Roman with him.   Shaw becomes the HC.    He names Pep the OC.    He had Luck his first year and dramatically worse QB talent this year.     That's it.

His two years at Stanford,  he didn't really run the Pep Hamilton offense,  he ran mostly the Jim Harbaugh/Greg Roman offense, which is now the blueprint for success at Stanford.   That'll likely be their offensive blueprint for decades to come.   It works for the school.

I suspect Hamilton will use a fair amount of the offense, keep the parts of the Arians offense he and Luck like, and sprinkle in a few more wrinkles....    That's my hunch and hope...

I think people are wrong to believe the offense is just going to be short stuff, working down the field slowly. Most every WCO uses the short game (run and pass) to open up the long game. I think you'll still see a lot of deep stuff, but it won't be coming right out the gate all the time, and it won't be most every play. Andy Reid didn't refuse to throw it deep, Bill Walsh didn't refuse to throw it deep, Pat Shurmur didn't refuse to throw it deep,George Seifert didn't refuse to throw it deep. It's a more calculated scheme. I don't think Pep intends to throw out what mad the team successful or make wholesale changes, and there is no evidence that that is the case.

Pep was at Stanford for 3 years.    His first, was as the team's WR coach.

Then, Harbaugh left to go to SF.   He takes Roman with him.   Shaw becomes the HC.    He names Pep the OC.    He had Luck his first year and dramatically worse QB talent this year.     That's it.

His two years at Stanford,  he didn't really run the Pep Hamilton offense,  he ran mostly the Jim Harbaugh/Greg Roman offense, which is now the blueprint for success at Stanford.   That'll likely be their offensive blueprint for decades to come.   It works for the school.

I suspect Hamilton will use a fair amount of the offense, keep the parts of the Arians offense he and Luck like, and sprinkle in a few more wrinkles....    That's my hunch and hope...

thanks for hte info