Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pep Hamilton hired as OC [Merge]

Horseshoe

I think people are wrong to believe the offense is just going to be short stuff, working down the field slowly. Most every WCO uses the short game (run and pass) to open up the long game. I think you'll still see a lot of deep stuff, but it won't be coming right out the gate all the time, and it won't be most every play. Andy Reid didn't refuse to throw it deep, Bill Walsh didn't refuse to throw it deep, Pat Shurmur didn't refuse to throw it deep,George Seifert didn't refuse to throw it deep. It's a more calculated scheme. I don't think Pep intends to throw out what mad the team successful or make wholesale changes, and there is no evidence that that is the case.

i guess people, and myself to be honest, are basing on what he mentioned on the colts.com article.. something along hte lines of "short passing high percentage efficient offense"

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i guess people, and myself to be honest, are basing on what he mentioned on the colts.com article.. something along hte lines of "short passing high percentage efficient offense"

I think it's kind of unreasonable to assume that an offense that stresses high efficiency won't include passes down the field. The Packers run a high efficiency offense with lots of short passes, but they also throw the ball down the field plenty. And there are a dozen other examples of that.

I think it's kind of unreasonable to assume that an offense that stresses high efficiency won't include passes down the field. The Packers run a high efficiency offense with lots of short passes, but they also throw the ball down the field plenty. And there are a dozen other examples of that.

Yeah they do and I actually love that about Rogers and packers offense. He gets the ball out fast and pops you all over. Then bam stings you with a big throw. To me it's all about mixing it up and playing against what the defense shows. Not so much this is what we're going to do come hell or high water ala arians

Hopefully, it works out.  The Colts were 11-5 and ready to compete for a division.  Now, they are basically starting over offensively, and it's wait and see.  Personally, I would have preferred an O-line upgrade and a tweaking, toning down of Arians' system.  For its faults, much good came from Arians' system as well.  Getting the ball out of Luck's hands more quickly sounds good, yet many of Luck's best plays in 2012 came from improvising, moving in the pocket and/or going downfield.  Also, I believe the gunslinger/fearless mentality Arians tried to instill in Luck helped him make all of the 4th quarter comebacks.  As for what mentality to expect, would Pep/Pagano have thrown the bomb at 3rd and 23 vs. the Texans?  I don't know, but it was probably the difference in the game.  So, hopefully it does not swing too far in the other direction.  Hopefully, some of Arians' aggressiveness/fearlessness sticks with Luck and Pagano. 

obviusly there will be throws downfield i mean every offense no matter how conservative is has them.. im just talking  about what Pep said and why for example me thinks like that...we will have shots downfield but it I thought, from the 2 games i saw stanford, will be limited...of course that might because no QB talent or WR on stanford 

also Gregg jennings/driver/Jordy Nelson are tottally different Receivers to TY/Avery. i guess you can compare TY to Cobb so if we use him on that kind of way this will be fun to watch. I just hope we dont really limit the opportunities TY might have downfiedl.

but regardless, im really happy with the hire...this should help Coby and unlike what arians did, he might play to our strenghts..i LOVED BA, but i think he needs an OL he wont change his style, while Pep seems to play to the strenghts of the team.

obviusly there will be throws downfield i mean every offense no matter how conservative is has them.. im just talking  about what Pep said and why for example me thinks like that...we will have shots downfield but it I thought, from the 2 games i saw stanford, will be limited...of course that might because no QB talent or WR on stanford 

also Gregg jennings/driver/Jordy Nelson are tottally different Receivers to TY/Avery. i guess you can compare TY to Cobb so if we use him on that kind of way this will be fun to watch. I just hope we dont really limit the opportunities TY might have downfiedl.

but regardless, im really happy with the hire...this should help Coby and unlike what arians did, he might play to our strenghts..i LOVED BA, but i think he needs an OL he wont change his style, while Pep seems to play to the strenghts of the team.

That's my major issue with Arians. We needed tweaks, and he was slow to make them, even against the best defensive front we played all year.

You make good points about the differences in personnel, but I don't think there's anything about our receiver corps that would preclude us from sending them downfield. Arians did it all season long.

I've said several times, I'm not thrilled with the hire. It's good, I suppose, that Hamilton has history with Luck and Fleener, but I think familiarity is overstated at times. I'm not convinced we got THE BEST guy for the job, and I'm not convinced we did an exhaustive search either. Given the circumstances, with Arians getting hired late in the process, and Hamilton having other opportunities, it makes sense for them to go get him if they really wanted him. And perhaps it works out very well. I do think that Hamilton will be more yielding than Arians was. I'm just not all that impressed with the fact that he knows 8% of our offensive personnel.

That's my major issue with Arians. We needed tweaks, and he was slow to make them, even against the best defensive front we played all year.

You make good points about the differences in personnel, but I don't think there's anything about our receiver corps that would preclude us from sending them downfield. Arians did it all season long.

I've said several times, I'm not thrilled with the hire. It's good, I suppose, that Hamilton has history with Luck and Fleener, but I think familiarity is overstated at times. I'm not convinced we got THE BEST guy for the job, and I'm not convinced we did an exhaustive search either. Given the circumstances, with Arians getting hired late in the process, and Hamilton having other opportunities, it makes sense for them to go get him if they really wanted him. And perhaps it works out very well. I do think that Hamilton will be more yielding than Arians was. I'm just not all that impressed with the fact that he knows 8% of our offensive personnel.

yea I think it was a good hire but I agree with the whole familiarity is overrated... 

was I the only one that wanted us to take alook at Hue Jackson?

Anyways, this type of O(Pep's) should help Luck, getting the ball out of his hands fast

yea I think it was a good hire but I agree with the whole familiarity is overrated... 

was I the only one that wanted us to take alook at Hue Jackson?

Anyways, this type of O(Pep's) should help Luck, getting the ball out of his hands fast

I'm not all that excited about Hue Jackson as a coordinator, but I didn't spend a whole lot of time looking at his bio either.

As for this new offense helping Luck, I think that's a given. But we still need to improve the offensive line in order for the run game to take the next step.

If this means when it's third and an inch we stop lining up in an empty back set in shot gun to throw it 30 yards down the field I can live with it. Clyde's and Arians offense would do that and I hated it. I don't care if they throw out of it but at least line up with a back back there so they have to respect the run. Also I have always hated trying to get 30 yards or more when you just five or less on third down just to keep the drive alive. I think that will change in this offense.

If this means when it's third and an inch we stop lining up in an empty back set in shot gun to throw it 30 yards down the field I can live with it. Clyde's and Arians offense would do that and I hated it. I don't care if they throw out of it but at least line up with a back back there so they have to respect the run. Also I have always hated trying to get 30 yards or more when you just five or less on third down just to keep the drive alive. I think that will change in this offense.

Empty backfield on third down is my pet peeve.

As a part, even a big part, of the offense. The basis, perhaps. But it's not the whole thing. Most WCOs use the short and intermediate to set up the deep by moving defenders closer to the line. In other words, there won't be as much deep passing, but it'll be there once they feel they've baited the defense enough. If the defense doesn't bite, they'll keep playing it short. Not very exciting, but run right, it's still picking up plenty of first downs and (hopefully) TDs. Once they try and stop that, you throw it over them.

I also think slants and the such will really play into TY's hand.