Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pep Hamilton hired as OC [Merge]

Horseshoe

Well, all I can say is let's see what happens.

Let's hope he's the best hire for the Colts. I hope they prove me wrong, because I'm not sure that this was a good hire. 

Now, I give you permission to thrash me for saying Hamilton shouldn't be hired. 

I was hoping for Mike Tice

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I assume you meant to say....   he doesn't have any pro OC experience??    Because he's got lots of pro coaching experience...  6 of 7 years in the NFL.   Just as a position coach, mostly QB...   not as an OC.    This would be his first NFL OC job.

He's been Stanford's OC for two years.

So,  am I correct?   That's what you meant to say?    Just double checking....

Yeah, my mistake.  Thanks for the correction

Luck and fleener was half of stanfords offense??? where were the other 9 guys they were legally allowed to have on the field???

So, you're just gonna ignore that Oline that allowed Luck to connect with Fleener?? That was one of the BEST Olines in CFB. So, that's 5 from your 9 "nobodies"

Then add Taylor at RB who was a big reason why the PA Game worked so well. That's 6 from your 9 "nobodies".

Griff Whalen, Montgomery, & Tolio (Spellcheck) were there to catch the ball when Fleener wasn't open. So there's the final 3 to your 9 "nobodies".

Yes Luck & Fleener were the MAJOR Pieces, but they weren't the ONLY pieces to that successful Offense

:rantoff:

I agree with all that. I just have a preference.

I'm undecided on this hire, in case you couldn't tell. I think a lot of people are over the moon about it because he's familiar with Luck, but a lot of Stanford people are unimpressed with his performance as the coordinator. That doesn't necessarily mean that there's something wrong with him, but they are more in the know about him than I am.

I would have definitely preferred Whisenhunt, but if Hamilton works out, it's a long-term solution. I'm cautiously on board.

That surprises me considering Stanford didn't collapse like a house of cards when Luck, Fleener, DeCastro and others graduated.

They must be doin' sump'm right. :)

I'm a little concerned about this. Don't know much about Pep aside from the observations here. My main issue is the Colts moving to a run first offense. If Pep is indeed more of a runner than passer, what I would call conservative, I think the combo of him and Pagano (who has very conservative offensive tendencies based on what he says in interviews) could lead us down the wrong path. You don't win in the current NFL that way unless your defense is absolutely dominant. Just look at our division, which was built to be run heavy and physical to counteract Peyton, and who is left in the playoffs. The Texans are a perfect example of the ceiling that style of O gets you in the current NFL context and the 49ers are the exception because of their D and the playmaking ability of Kaep. I would also like a more seasoned NFL mind since Pagano has zero experience coaching offense and has only been a head coach for 4 NFL games. 

Luck passed the ball quite a bit at Stanford, but the overall strength of that offense was that huge offense line and the running game. The biggest limitation was his crappy offensive personnel at the WR positions. We have more offensive weapons than he did at Stanford. I'm sure Pep will see that and put it to use. I think the situation at Stanford was similar to the Minnesota Vikings this year. Their offense was pretty conservative because they had absolutely no one to throw to. The strength of their offense was at running back.

Since Pep has history running a similar offense as Harbaugh and Greg Roman, now with the Niners, I think that it would make sense to look at Alex Smith's numbers to see how he faired in this offense. (Kaepernick runs some spread read, so he isn't the best comparison from the Niners).

2011:16 Games- 273 of 445 61.3% Comp 61.3Comp.% 3,144 Yards 7.07YPA 17TDs 5INTs 90.7% Rating

2012:10 Games- 153 of 218 70.2% Comp 70.2Comp.% 1,737 Yards 7.97YPA 13TDS 5INTs 104.1% Rating

Alex Smith is not known for pushig the ball downfield. He is relatively safe and prefers to check down rather than throw the ball into tight windows. I think that Luck will greatly improve his completion percentage this year, will have a much better quarterback rating, and will throw for about the same amount of yardage, over 4,000 yards.

God I hope your wrong, if we run anything close to Stanford or 49ers we are gonna win maybe 2 games. We do not have the personnel for that offense, we do not have a stud RB, we do not have an O-line that can open holes, we have the same thing we've always had. A phenom at QB that wins games with his arm.

They have a saying, if it aint broke don't fix it, I really hope we don't end up with a 60/40 run pass split.

Silent Hill...

Can you tell me/us where you got this view of Hamilton??    Is there a link to some story you can point to?     Because many of your views are incorrect.

-- Hamilton did call the plays for Stanford.   Yes, Shaw had over-ride power, but that's not a surprise or a knock on Hamilton.

-- Yes, Hamilton did draw up the offensive game plan.   Yes, part of a multi-headed team, where others had input,  but Hamilton was the lead guy.

I have concerns about Hamilton,  but I think your information here is incorrect.

Where are you seeing this? every article I read, and every Stanford fan i've talked  to says that Shaw calls all the plays, there was even an article posted a few pages ago that said Hamilton got to call 1st and 2nd down in the red zone. and no more, Shaw called 3rd down and any critical plays.

Also, Shaw was the lead guy in the game planing. Where have you seen otherwise?

I personally don't mind if we begin to establish a better running attack, if that is indeed on the horizon for this offense.

Obviously we need to improve the O-line personnel to do this.

But there is nothing I love more than when a team has the ability (Especially in another team's house) to cram the ball down the opponents throat with a good running game and it shuts their crowd up.

That may not be exciting, or even light up the highlight reel, but it usually translates into wins.

I personally don't mind if we begin to establish a better running attack, if that is indeed on the horizon for this offense.

Obviously we need to improve the O-line personnel to do this.

But there is nothing I love more than when a team has the ability (Especially in another team's house) to cram the ball down the opponents throat with a good running game and it shuts their crowd up.

That may not be exciting, or even light up the highlight reel, but it usually translates into wins.

I agree.  I honestly don't know why people worry so much if we run the ball more.  If you look at the 4 teams left in the playoffs, they all can run the ball.  Russell Wilson and RG3 did well because they had a great running attack.  The year we won the Super Bowl with Manning, the playoff run was lead by a strong running attack.   

Passing teams win the regular season.  Balanced teams win the playoffs.    Our inability to run the ball and stop the run in the playoffs was our downfall.   So I would be very happy if Luck is throwing the ball 20 times a game if it means more rings.

I think this is a great hire.   I liked Bruce Arians but I felt his offense was going to get Luck hurt and would plateau him while Bruce was here.  So I think Hamilton and that offense will do good things.

I agree.  I honestly don't know why people worry so much if we run the ball more.  If you look at the 4 teams left in the playoffs, they all can run the ball.  Russell Wilson and RG3 did well because they had a great running attack.  The year we won the Super Bowl with Manning, the playoff run was lead by a strong running attack.   

Passing teams win the regular season.  Balanced teams win the playoffs.    Our inability to run the ball and stop the run in the playoffs was our downfall.   So I would be very happy if Luck is throwing the ball 20 times a game if it means more rings.

I think this is a great hire.   I liked Bruce Arians but I felt his offense was going to get Luck hurt and would plateau him while Bruce was here.  So I think Hamilton and that offense will do good things.

When you look at our skills players, Luck is up here.

The RB core and O-line are down here.

I'm all for a good running game, but it should never be the focus of our offense, the purpose of a good running game is to setup the play action pass and ice the game, it serves no other purpose IMHO. Look at the Ravens. They had a solid team, but they made the AFC champ game the last 2 years because they unleashed Joe Flacco, and have become a more balanced attack with Rice / Flacco.

Look at the 4 remaining teams this year, 3/4 have essentially a heavy passing attack that relies on running game to setup the play action.

I'm all for a good running game, but it should never be the focus of our offense, the purpose of a good running game is to setup the play action pass and ice the game, it serves no other purpose IMHO. Look at the Ravens. They had a solid team, but they made the AFC champ game the last 2 years because they unleashed Joe Flacco, and have become a more balanced attack with Rice / Flacco.

Look at the 4 remaining teams this year, 3/4 have essentially a heavy passing attack that relies on running game to setup the play action.

Good points.   I think we are thinking the same thing.  I consider a balanced team as not one that runs and passes 50% of the time, but a team that can effectively do either when needed.  Teams fail when they cannot run the ball at crucial times. 

I would imagine because the contract is only agreed to in principle and the terms are still being worked out (nothing signed). Colts.com tends to post stories as new when we have already known for 2 weeks. They just won't do it until it is official.

Probably because its not been made official yet by the front office. Though if it's on the team page its a done deal. Just waiting on the ink to dry on the contract and it to be formally announced. 

I mostly agree with you but IMO, one key area that we should all keep in mind is time of possession/ball control.

How many times during the Manning era did we watch Peyton languish on the sidelines while teams who had a solid, physical rushing attack literally super-glued his butt to the bench?

Wouldn't you want us to be able to do that vs the high-flying offenses everyone seems to be flocking to?

Andrew Luck masterfully did that at Stanford because he had the tools to do it with....plus, it pays dividends to our defense. And of course....to your other very valid points on play-action and icing the game.....he was able to do that.

Give it a chance. :)

Good points.   I think we are thinking the same thing.  I consider a balanced team as not one that runs and passes 50% of the time, but a team that can effectively do either when needed.  Teams fail when they cannot run the ball at crucial times. 

You nailed it....short and sweet.

None of us want a "3 yards and a cloud of dust" offense....but I agree that's not what is happening with this hire, and our likely personnel upgrades. IMO....truly keeping opposing defenses honest with a truly balanced capability on offense is an ideal situation.

Not all opponents or game conditions will be the same...the flexibility will be nice if we can achieve it.

I was hoping for Mike Tice

haha, alright, give me a break here.

Looking back on it, I probably won't right down Mike Tice had I done it during the day (I made that list 20 minutes before I went to bed with my eyes slowly closing), but, honestly, his name crossed my mind because there aren't a lot of a good experienced coordinators. Tice isn't horrible, and is experienced. Wouldn't be the worst choice in the world.

I am glad you gave me crap here, because I agree with you, I shouldn't have written Tice's name down in my candidates list.

Our offensive line, compared to the rest of the NFL = Apples

Stanford's o-line, compared to the rest of the NCAAFB = Oranges

Assuming that the guy cannot adjust to different personnel is like assuming that Chuck Pagano, who had just moved from a line coach(?) to a DC, could not possibly have enough experience to be successful as a head coach........oh wait, we already did that....

As previously stated, they knew this was likely coming, it wasn't a "hey, we got to call somebody quick......I know, how about Andrews's former OC?" moment. He was considered, talked about, and was at the top of their offensive coaching big board. This wasn't a desperation move, it was a solid move toward a guy they are quite high on.

At least that is how it went down in my imagination. :shake:

Our offensive line, compared to the rest of the NFL = Apples

Stanford's o-line, compared to the rest of the NCAAFB = Oranges

Assuming that the guy cannot adjust to different personnel is like assuming that Chuck Pagano, who had just moved from a line coach(?) to a DC, could not possibly have enough experience to be successful as a head coach........oh wait, we already did that....

As previously stated, they knew this was likely coming, it wasn't a "hey, we got to call somebody quick......I know, how about Andrews's former OC?" moment. He was considered, talked about, and was at the top of their offensive coaching big board. This wasn't a desperation move, it was a solid move toward a guy they are quite high on.

At least that is how it went down in my imagination. :shake:

Most experts would agree with you. He was at the top of a lot of pundit's lists for the job, and hell, even at the top of Lovie Smith's list of OC's he was going to bring in if hired. This is not a bad move and points to more young NFL talent in Indy, just this time in a coaching position.

Quick little article I just wrote on Hamilton:

The search did not take long, the Colts have hired Stanford offensive coordinator Pep Hamilton to take over the Colts' offense.

Getting someone that Andrew Luck was familiar with was just a bonus. Well, not only is Luck familiar with Hamilton, Luck played under Hamilton in his junior year, putting up great stats in his offense. Hamilton managed to have a lot of positives in his short time as the Cardinal's offensive coordinator. He managed to build one of the better O-lines in the country, he's helped make Stepfan Taylor into an NFL running back, and managed to bring an offense, without Luck, to a respectable standing. He's done a lot of good for that program.

Before becoming offensive coordinator of Stanford, Hamilton was the wide receivers coach for the team in 2010 (and only 2010). During that season, he coached future NFLers Doug Baldwin, who as an undrafted free agent, is enjoying being one of the top receivers on the Seahawks. He coached Griff Whalen, who is now a Colt, and most likely to receive more playing time next year, if he's healthy. He also coached Chris Owusu, who is currently on the Tampa Bay Buccaneers roster. In one year, he coached 3 NFL players on his team (at the time, not NFL ready, but they would become NFL players). That's very impressive.

Then, even before that, he spent a lot of time in the NFL. He spent 3 years in Chicago as their quarterbacks coach, training Rex Grossman and Kyle Orton. Not exactly impressive. Before that, he was the quarterbacks coach of San Francisco, and failed trying ot develop Alex Smith. Then, he spent 3 years doing 3 different jobs with the New York Jets, Finally, before that, he spent time with Howard University. That's his coaching career. Not long? That's because he's only 38 years old. 

There are a lot of positives and negatives in this trade. 

The positives are that he has a great relationship with Andrew Luck, and knows Coby Fleener and Griff Whalen (especially Whalen) very well. He has NFL experience training young quarterbacks. With Chicago, Kyle Orton had a solid 2008 season with Hamilton as the QB coach. With Alex Smith in 2006, Smith was able to post a respectable number for a 2nd year quarterback. Hamilton has a good history in the league. He also has a history of working with receivers. He worked with Laveranues Coles in New York, who nearly had a 1000 yard career. He has experience in the NFL working with young players, and that's what the Colts need.

The negatives are that he never called the plays at Stanford, and in Indy, he will have to call the plays. Not only must he come up with multiple gameplans going into the game, but he must also make halftime adjustments and in-game adjustments. That's not that easy to do, and it's very tough for someone to do that in the NFL. Clyde Christenson, if he stays, will definitely have to help him out for the first little bit, just to get his feet off the ground. The other negative is that the Colts and Hamilton use different systems. I doubt the Colts will completely switch to Hamilton's West Coach offense system, and I doubt Hamilton will completely change everything. That's something that they have to work out, and Hamilton has to get used to working with a new system. 

In conclusion, I think that when I first saw this, I said that they could do a lot better, but this choice has a lot of potential in it. If Hamilton gets used to the offense, he could be here for awhile, which is great for every party. He knows a few players on the team, including the quarterback, but as mentioned, he must get used to calling plays and get used to being an offensive coordinator in the NFL. It's much tougher than being an offensive coordinator, who doesn't call plays, in the NCAA. So, in short, the Colts could have done worst. 

Where are you seeing this? every article I read, and every Stanford fan i've talked  to says that Shaw calls all the plays, there was even an article posted a few pages ago that said Hamilton got to call 1st and 2nd down in the red zone. and no more, Shaw called 3rd down and any critical plays.

Also, Shaw was the lead guy in the game planing. Where have you seen otherwise?

I think the positions you note are how things were under Harbaugh....   I don't think that's how they were in the two years Hamilton has been the OC since Shaw became the HC.

I think Shaw as the play caller comes from a visual misinterpretation.   He stands there on the sideline holding a giant play list.  But it's Hamilton upstairs on the phone calling the play, sending it in.   If Shaw wants to over-rule it, clearly he can.   Harbaugh did (overrule when he wanted)...  but otherwise, Shaw approves and the play comes in...

I'm getting this from the Premium section of the Stanford website I belong to.   Something I can't link in here...

The search did not take long, the Colts have hired Stanford offensive coordinator Pep Hamilton to take over the Colts' offense.

Getting someone that Andrew Luck was familiar with was just a bonus. Well, not only is Luck familiar with Hamilton, Luck played under Hamilton in his junior year, putting up great stats in his offense. Hamilton managed to have a lot of positives in his short time as the Cardinal's offensive coordinator. He managed to build one of the better O-lines in the country, he's helped make Stepfan Taylor into an NFL running back, and managed to bring an offense, without Luck, to a respectable standing. He's done a lot of good for that program.

Before becoming offensive coordinator of Stanford, Hamilton was the wide receivers coach for the team in 2010 (and only 2010). During that season, he coached future NFLers Doug Baldwin, who as an undrafted free agent, is enjoying being one of the top receivers on the Seahawks. He coached Griff Whalen, who is now a Colt, and most likely to receive more playing time next year, if he's healthy. He also coached Chris Owusu, who is currently on the Tampa Bay Buccaneers roster. In one year, he coached 3 NFL players on his team (at the time, not NFL ready, but they would become NFL players). That's very impressive.

Then, even before that, he spent a lot of time in the NFL. He spent 3 years in Chicago as their quarterbacks coach, training Rex Grossman and Kyle Orton. Not exactly impressive. Before that, he was the quarterbacks coach of San Francisco, and failed trying ot develop Alex Smith. Then, he spent 3 years doing 3 different jobs with the New York Jets, Finally, before that, he spent time with Howard University. That's his coaching career. Not long? That's because he's only 38 years old. 

There are a lot of positives and negatives in this trade. ???

The positives are that he has a great relationship with Andrew Luck, and knows Coby Fleener and Griff Whalen (especially Whalen) very well. He has NFL experience training young quarterbacks. With Chicago, Kyle Orton had a solid 2008 season with Hamilton as the QB coach. With Alex Smith in 2006, Smith was able to post a respectable number for a 2nd year quarterback. Hamilton has a good history in the league. He also has a history of working with receivers. He worked with Laveranues Coles in New York, who nearly had a 1000 yard career. He has experience in the NFL working with young players, and that's what the Colts need.

The negatives are that he never called the plays at Stanford, and in Indy, he will have to call the plays. Not only must he come up with multiple gameplans going into the game, but he must also make halftime adjustments and in-game adjustments. That's not that easy to do, and it's very tough for someone to do that in the NFL. Clyde Christenson, if he stays, will definitely have to help him out for the first little bit, just to get his feet off the ground. The other negative is that the Colts and Hamilton use different systems. I doubt the Colts will completely switch to Hamilton's West Coach offense system, and I doubt Hamilton will completely change everything. That's something that they have to work out, and Hamilton has to get used to working with a new system. 

In conclusion, I think that when I first saw this, I said that they could do a lot better, but this choice has a lot of potential in it. If Hamilton gets used to the offense, he could be here for awhile, which is great for every party. He knows a few players on the team, including the quarterback, but as mentioned, he must get used to calling plays and get used to being an offensive coordinator in the NFL. It's much tougher than being an offensive coordinator, who doesn't call plays, in the NCAA. So, in short, the Colts could have done worst. 

What trade (bolded in the quote)???  You say "an article" ... article for what?

There are a lot of positives and negatives in this trade. 

Silent Hill...

Can you tell me/us where you got this view of Hamilton??    Is there a link to some story you can point to?     Because many of your views are incorrect.

-- Hamilton did call the plays for Stanford.   Yes, Shaw had over-ride power, but that's not a surprise or a knock on Hamilton.

-- Yes, Hamilton did draw up the offensive game plan.   Yes, part of a multi-headed team, where others had input,  but Hamilton was the lead guy.

I have concerns about Hamilton,  but I think your information here is incorrect.

Agree with NewColtsFan. Those saying Hamilton never called plays need to chill out. 

What trade (bolded in the quote)???  You say "an article" ... article for what?

haha, oops, it's been a late night.

Thanks for the heads up. CAN THE MODS FIX THAT PLEASE?!?!?!!

Also, it's an article for my website, and a couple other sites.

So, at the NFL level, the guy's worked with or "developed" Pennington, Grossman, Orton, Cutler (during that year he was handing out picks like candy corn at Halloween) and Alex Smith. 

And he's our home run guy? That's like hiring a chef at a Michelin starred restaurant and being excited because he can open a can of Chef Boyardee without cutting himself. 

I really don't think he's got enough experience for an NFL OC gig right now and his prior NFL track record doesn't leave me excited to have him develop a QB on this level, even if he was already OC for a year with Luck. I hope I'm completely, 100%, entirely wrong about my initial gut feeling about the hire because my initial gut feeling is that I really don't like the move. I'll keep a napkin and dinner plate out when it comes time to eat crow.

Here's hoping Pep doesn't let me go hungry.

I like this signing.  A balanced offense will work wonders in those tough games and playoff games.  We are set at WR (a big jumpball WR would be nice *cough*DwayneBowe*cough*), oline should be fixed this year, we have a bruiser/short yardage back with Ballard but we need a speedster who can block and leave the backfield for a short yard catch (maybe find one in the draft).  

This offense should come together real soon once the line is addressed.

I'm fine with this hiring and am glad we didn't go with CC. I have no problem with the Colts becoming a more balanced team. In fact, its something I've said needed to happen for yrs.. I love the thought of the Colts becoming more of a smash mouth team, I was sick to death of them being know as a "finesse" team. In order for this to happen though, the O-line MUST be upgraded. We'll see what the future holds for us with Pep running the offense, but I'm looking forward to it.

Love the hire. It is good to be a colts fan. Especially for most of my life I have seen an organization make mostly good decisions. Can't imagine growing up a browns or lions fan where most of their organizations moves lead to epic facepalms.

Must not have been around for much of the 80's and early 90's. Back then we led the league in :facepalm: and you may have been walking around looking like this :bag: .  I welcome this millenium Colts era of excellent front office management. 

First impressions are not usually very good for long term evaluation....BUT

When you go to Hamilton's bio on the Stanford web site, the VERY FIRST thing you see is........

"Andrew Luck director of offense/quartersbacks"

Not offensive coordinator, not QB coach, but  "Andrew Luck director........"

Like... I... directed Andrew Luck

Never have liked people who trade on other people's names rather than their own success.  Just doesn't bode well with me....If ya gotta be a name dropper, then maybe your own name aint too hot. 

Can't you just see Vince Lombardi saying  "I was Bart Starr's coach...."

I'm just sayin'.....

gnit pickin' ?...prolly....

When you go to Hamilton's bio on the Stanford web site, the VERY FIRST thing you see is........

Never have liked people who trade on other people's names rather than their own success.  Just doesn't bode well with me....If ya gotta be a name dropper, then maybe your own name aint too hot. 

I'm just sayin'.....

There is a story behind that and it has nothing to do with pep hamilton

Since Pep has history running a similar offense as Harbaugh and Greg Roman, now with the Niners, I think that it would make sense to look at Alex Smith's numbers to see how he faired in this offense. (Kaepernick runs some spread read, so he isn't the best comparison from the Niners).

2011:16 Games- 273 of 445 61.3% Comp 61.3Comp.% 3,144 Yards 7.07YPA 17TDs 5INTs 90.7% Rating

2012:10 Games- 153 of 218 70.2% Comp 70.2Comp.% 1,737 Yards 7.97YPA 13TDS 5INTs 104.1% Rating

Alex Smith is not known for pushig the ball downfield. He is relatively safe and prefers to check down rather than throw the ball into tight windows. I think that Luck will greatly improve his completion percentage this year, will have a much better quarterback rating, and will throw for about the same amount of yardage, over 4,000 yards.

Good numbers Flash.  I saw some pretty nice throws to a 'special' TE Vernon Davis in this the offense you speak of....getting the most out of Fleener and Allen is HUGE in our version.  Throw in a quart of TY.....a gallon of Reggie, and a dash of Brazill and we could have some fun.... :yahoo:

Of course the OL needs a whole lotta work....but that was a given....and off topic  :funny:

By the way is anybody ready for NFL football to start up again?  HA HA!  OK...I guess we have some work to do first....:)

I'm just sayin'.....

This has been addressed before here, but it has something to do with a Stanford booster I think. Have to do some digging to find out the reason behind this.

I really hate to burst everyone's bubble, but.....

Pep Hamilton did not call the plays for Stanford full time, ever. (Shaw calls the plays for Stanford)

Pep Hamilton did not draw up the game plan for Stanford, ever. (He was part of a 3 man group headed by Shaw to draw up the game plan on a weekly basis)

Pep Hamilton possibly last called his own plays more than a decade ago. (Hamilton University, HC could have been calling plays, unknown)

I was possibly the most optimistic person on this forum going into last year, and for me to do a complete 180 like this should say something. I don't like a team full of sophomore players, learning an offensive system where the coordinator doesn't even know it, and the head coach, was a former defensive coordinator, so he can't even help with the offensive play calling. Everything that us fans can see from the outside looks grim. I REALLY hope that the front office see's something I don't here or we are setting ourselves up for failure.

I get your point, but how is this worse than a team of first year players, and both a HC and GM with zero experience at those positions? Just about every decision the FO made last year turned to gold. Maybe it was all just lucky, but I guess I'm inclined to give this hire the benefit of the doubt for now.